October 2018 Moms

Questions 8/17

2»

Re: Questions 8/17

• I am more like your husband, unfortunately, and I stress.  I'm really into seeing the numbers on paper and when they don't work out the way I want them to, I kind of freak out.

DH is always reassuring me that everything will work out, and that if we have a little bit of a set-back year (which is just what a maternity leave is going to be, whether i like it or not), that it is just part of life and our family going and we will get on track next year.  It kind of helps when i think of it that way,

Also, i agree that this is the time DHs go through their own nesting period, all in their own way. 

image        image

• Does anyone know if there is a way to find out my company's policy on returning after leave? I dont want to straight up as HR if I dont have to. I've looked through the handbook and P&P manual and I cant seem to find anything. 
  • Loading the player...
  • On the topic of budgets, I highly recommend using Every Dollar. We have been using it since we got married; it's free and requires you to allocate every dollar to a fund. You can change the budget items in the list to reflect your expenses.
  • nmadjeski said:
    Does anyone know if there is a way to find out my company's policy on returning after leave? I dont want to straight up as HR if I dont have to. I've looked through the handbook and P&P manual and I cant seem to find anything. 
    Check your company's STD or disability leave policy.
  • I have the group b strep test at my appointment later this week. Do they swab both the vagina and rectum? Do they use a speculum for the vaginal portion? I’ve read some things saying they just swab the outside? Not sure what to expect and I like to know what I’m in for.
  • @rabtaido1214 it’s basically a q-tip that they run from the vagina, down along the perineum and to the rectum. It’s more awkward than uncomfortable. No speculum involved. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have the group b strep test at my appointment later this week. Do they swab both the vagina and rectum? Do they use a speculum for the vaginal portion? I’ve read some things saying they just swab the outside? Not sure what to expect and I like to know what I’m in for.
    My doctor just swabbed the outside of both for my last two pregnancies. I barely noticed both times. Hope that helps!
  • @bundleofjoy3iluvu I highly recommend checking out You Need A Budget.  The book talks about preparing and handling those unexpected expenses.  We’ve been using it for 6 weeks or so and I’m definitely less stressed about finances than I was before.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I know it has been discussed before months ago but I couldn’t even begin to think of when and which thread. So I’m going to ask again. Is it bad for me to prime and paint the nursery?? Or should I call and hire someone to do it for me
  • @jandmnumber1 as long as it's ventilated area (windows open/fan on if you want, I pointed it going out of the room etc) I believe most paints are low VOC paints (and will say on the front of them). It's fine for you to do. I definitely suggest making sure it's low/no VOC paint. But you're good.
  • @sammierose464 that's the first place I looked and there's no mention of it. I'm going to double check in the morning though. Thank you!
  • My doctor let me swab myself in the bathroom last time. So it wasn't awkward at all.
  • I had conveniently mentally blocked out the swab.

But just the outside here.  My doctor was not so kind as to let me do it myself in the bathroom.

image        image

• @lest12 i am measuring 3.5 weeks ahead as well, it has been creeping up a little every time. my dr seems very unconcerned and i am taking that route as well. i know that our clinic/hospital used to allow for scheduling inductions once you hit 38 weeks but as of a few years ago changed it to 39 weeks barring a particular reason...and i am not sure at what point, if any, size would count. I was thinking of asking at my appt today just out of curiosity, but also figure if he thinks that needs to happen he will bring it up (i just want to be able to plan better but obviously can't and the closer we get to go time the harder that is)!

side note: our first was 9lbs 13oz, but he was by far the biggest (next biggest was our 4th at 8lbs 2oz) and they all measured at least somewhat ahead, so i try not to get too caught up in it.
  • @lest12 I'm like you... i'm the budget freak. DH is constantly telling me we are fine and everything is going to work out, but as hard as I try i never stop worrying. @sliztee thanks for the One Dollar recommendation, I'm going to check that out!
  • It's a game changer, @cagncoo12. With that budgeting tool, we not only spend money happily and without guilt, but we also managed to pay off $26k in debt in under two years. BOOM.
  • sliztee said:
    It's a game changer, @cagncoo12. With that budgeting tool, we not only spend money happily and without guilt, but we also managed to pay off $26k in debt in under two years. BOOM.
    That’s awesome! I know ours won’t be that much, but  it is keeping us from going into debt with all the medical bills from the last 2.5 years and we’re paying off one car and hopefully paying cash for the new one next year (because I can’t find a convertible car seat that is both narrow enough for 3 across and short enough front to back to fit in my car).
  • Does anyone know if you can combine your Target registry discount with coupons? I have a ton of coupons from their baby bag and others that expire 10/31 so I want to just go buy  it all at once and use the 15% off too.
  • Great question, @sammierose464 - maybe reach out to a Target rep on their website? I'd be interested in the answer.
  • nasalot188nasalot188 member
    edited August 2018
    Has anyone else been sent for a growth scan for measuring small? I feel there was 1 or 2 on here...

I just had my regular 33 wks appt and now I'm a lil stressed. Belly was measuring 2 weeks behind at 31. She checked what it was measuring 2 weeks ago...also 31. So I'm being send for a growth scan Monday at the hospital. She didn't seem too concerned but I am of course nervous. She said it could be just because baby is very low and might have already dropped into pelvis...

Heartrate and movement is all good. With my first I always had the opposite, was either measuring right on or 1-2 wks ahead...new territory for me.
  • @nasalot188 my belly has always measured right on track, but because I have GD she sent me for a growth scan last week (at 32 wks). I was a little surprised that my babe was measuring a little small in the 15th percentile, which is still perfectly okay. Fluid and heartrate were fine. Going back again at 36 wks. Now of course I'm worried too about if she gets any smaller (below 10th percentile) or stops growing. 

I think it's normal to be 1 or 2 cm off either way of the measurement and they are probably just being cautious. Try not to worry too much. Let us know what they say on Monday!
  • measuring on track from one midwife - growth scan was ahead 2 weeks and in 79% eek. they have another scan in a few weeks. another midwife always measures me 1.5-2 weeks ahead. They are still having me monitor my blood sugar for GD but overall it has been good. 
  • It looks like coupons can be used, just not full cart discounts.
  • @nasalot188 I had the same thing with DD. We went to the scan and she was exactly the right size. As far as I know my measurements were normal after that. It was just that one time that was off. 
  • @nasalot188 I have a growth scan tomorrow because the Dr recommended it at my anatomy scan because I have hypothyroidism, so they were worried about her being too small  I've always measured on track at my appointments. 
  • @nasalot188 I am one of the ones. Both belly and baby are behind. It started with an extra scan, and baby and belly had fallen farther off our "curve" that we had been on. So we had what basically equated to a full AS/growth scan again. Doing every measurement/blood flow, checking cord, placenta etc. Since everything structurally checked out (no placenta or cord issue) I was told we would be watched closer, have extra ultrasounds from then til birth. It's listed as SGA (small for gestational age) and a "uterine size/growth discrepancy" in my chart.
    I was basically told that unless they see a structural change, baby in distress/change in fetal health or dropping amniotic fluid it will just be a game of how close to 40 weeks can we make it without inducing (only for distress etc) or if she comes on her own.
    They don't seem overly concerned outside of just closer monitoring. Told me to go to L&D for less movements etc (I have a low lying placenta and recurring sch so I have other restrictions/reasons to go in), try to stay hydrated, rest, eat as many small meals/snacks a day as I can. (I'm sure they think my HG is adding to, if not causing the SGA). I'm very interested to see what our measurements are Monday! Complete opposite for me as well. My son was a consistent 10-16+ days ahead my entire pregnancy.
    I know it's hard, but try  not to stress! They told me at first that sometimes that happens and then the next set of measurements you and baby could be caught back up!

• @jomama1618 thanks for the reply!! That is very informative. I'm so curious how this scan will go on Monday. It does sound like it's quite common and 2 weeks either way they don't typically worry too much about. I was just surprised because DS was nearly 8lbs born a week early...I know I don't make small babies. I'm hoping that because this baby is so low, already seems to have descended into pelvis...that perhaps that is what's throwing the belly measurement off. I am glad that your babe seems to be doing just fine in there despite being smaller!

I will let you guys know how things go Monday :)
  • @nasalot188 At my appointment yesterday, they measured me twice. The first I was measuring 30 weeks and the second time I was 32 weeks (I was 31+2 at the appointment). She measured twice because I mentioned I was surprised that I measured behind because I kept bumping my belly on stuff that morning so I was sure she had a growth spurt. She also mentioned the difference in measurements was because of how I was positioned on the table - for the second measurement she moved the table flat instead of slightly inclined.  At previous appointments they told me baby’s position affects the measurements too. Hopefully those played into the measurements and you get good news on Monday :)
  • Anyone return anything off their registry and rebought it with the registry discount? I know we chatted about this briefly months ago. Any stores have things set up to keep this from happening? I would rather save 15-20% on stuff to get more for baby! 
  • @sammierose464 When I bought a bunch of stuff from my registry with the 15% off registry discount, I also used my Red Card and got my 5% off with that, and there was a deal if you bought two packs of diapers you got a $10 gift card and that worked so I assume any coupon would work too!
  • @jemmerjams I have hypothyroidism too! My doc never recommended a growth scan. DS was 9lbs 2oz and this ones always on track.
  • @cdepperschmidt yeah, I'm not concerned lol. It was the Dr who read my anatomy scan who recommended it, my OB probably wouldn't have. "Why did we do this again?" - his exact words when we reviewed the results lol. I'm guessing as long as it's managed everything will be fine, and I have my Dr checking my levels more frequently now.

Baby has measured around the 65% for both scans, and fundal height is measuring on track too. My family and DHs has 9 lb babies, so I think I'm on track for that too lol. (4 lb 13 oz @ 32+4)
  • @SweetSweetTooth we returned a few things we registered for and bought back because they were on significant sale from Babies r Us in Canada. They didn’t have any problem with the return so I’m assuming it’s fine to do for the registry discount. Our store was having a big baby sale where many items were cheaper but we only ended up doing it for a couple of the larger items. It felt good to get the items back and have some extra money to spend on a gift card.
  • @SweetSweetTooth With Z, I had a buttload of returns (stuff I had registered for but had other stuff I needed more) and I immediately turned around and purchased the rest of my registry with my completion discount and the store credit from the returns. I think most places are pretty understanding about that kind of stuff, it kind of comes with the territory of registries.

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015