Chit Chat

What are you reading?

In need of some good book suggestions. Would love to hear what you're reading right now and what you think of it.

I was super excited when a book called Vox came out yesterday (a dystopian novel where women can only speak 100 words a day) because the premise was so dark and intriguing. I borrowed a sample from Amazon and read the first couple chapters. I dunno if it's worth buying now :\ I'm really picky about an author's voice and style. It has to be convincing. This book kind of reminded me of 50 Shades of Grey in that - I was really, really excited about the plot but then when I opened it to read it I was so disappointed. Hokey language, unconvincing actions of the protagonist and side characters, goofy plot twists, and general nonsense are a huge turn-off. I read the reviews of Vox and a lot of people complained about goofy plots and general nonsense. Guess it'll have to be a library pick.

I'm thinking for my next book I'm gonna do Baby Teeth. It sounds sufficiently creepy.

Re: What are you reading?

• I am rereading the Count of Monte Cristo, it is one of my favorites!  Although I have not read any in about 2 weeks.
  • Trying to get though Dean Koontz Silent Corner. Life just much too much for reading lately.
  • Loading the player...
  • @wishiwaspreggo I love this thread!

I just finished The Pillars of Earth which was a historical fiction and I absolutely loved it! I started Children of Time  today which my husband insisted I read. It's sci-fi so I'm not super excited about it, but he said it's really good.
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    DS:  March 2014
    DD: May 2015
    BFP: 12/24/17 CP: 1/2/18 @ 4w 3d
    BFP: 1/26/18 CP: 2/2/18 @ 4w 4d
    BFP: 5/16/18 MMC: 6/15/18 @ 7w 5d
    BFP: 9/25/18! EDD: 6/9/19 TEAM GREEN  <3 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • We should keep this thread going and update with any books we come across that we love. 
    TW

• I agree with @eleven_. Let's keep this thread going!

Right now I'm reading The Rules of Magic. I'm supposed to finish it by book club on Saturday, and I don't think that's going to happen, especially if I keep wasting time on TB.  :p So far I like it a lot.

I'm also reading Britt-Marie Was Here. It's great! I really like it. So far I've loved everything written by Fredrik Backman. 

@wishiwaspreggo Have you read The Girl With All The Gifts by M. R. Carey? It seems like you're looking for a somewhat creepy book, so I wondered if that might be something you'd like. I don't like creepy/scary books but I loved that one. 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • I'm gonna be like the only non-fiction person here. I'm currently still trying to get through Understanding and Dismantling Racism by Joseph Barndt. It's a really fascinating book.

I'm also reading Depression: Looking Up From The Stubborn Darkness by Edward T Welch and Running Scared by the same author. 

When I was a young girl, I only read fiction. Then my granny gave me an entire collection of Reader's digest and I was off into non-fiction shortly after that but not before finishing books by some of my favorite author's at the time. Stephen King, Mary Higgins Clark, and Danielle Steele lol 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• @suzycupcake, when I read non fiction, I also read a fiction book at the same time.  I have 1 or two books about mentak health/autism that I am partially through and will pick up and read a bit every few weeks (or months, hah). 
    I was reading Neil Young's biography recently which was really fascinating, but I had to take it back to the library and didn't have time to check it back out.

@offtoneverland, good luck finishing your book! 
  • edited August 2018
    @offtoneverland - Thanks for the suggestion! I'm gonna read the synopsis here in a few minutes :) I've been bad about reading but I enjoy it so much. It's just easier to screw around on my phone at night and upset myself with the news. I think I'll be much happier with a long TBR list and I've already reserved a number of books from the library. I'm waitlisted on all of them so I just gotta wait but that's okay.

ETA: LOVE the synopsis of Girl with all the Gifts! Totally adding that to my library list. I love unusual takes on zombie stories. Have you read Warm Bodies? That's another favorite of mine. It's scary, romantic, and funny all at once.

I'm really into thrillers, dystopia, and horror right now. I have no idea why. I used to be all romance and YA. I think it must be all the hormones I'm on or something because any romantic plot makes me gag lol... the thought of someone else needing me makes me want to scream. Which is SO not like me, I normally eat that shit up with a spoon. But anyway...

@suzycupcake I just stumbled across a book in the Kindle store last night called Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult. It's an examination on racism but it's a novel so... more digestible for me ;) I just can't do non-fiction right now. I need books that grab me by the balls and don't let go or I just give up.

If anyone's into horror at all, I recommend Hex. Talk about a book grabbing you by the balls. Wow. It haunted me for months afterwards and I kind of want to re-read it but the emotions from that book were strong. It wasn't just scary, it was heartbreaking. I loooooooooooooove books that make me feel something.
  • eleven_eleven_ member
    edited August 2018
    @wishiwaspreggo Have you read Bird Box by Josh Malerman? Holy sh!t, that book scared me so bad. It was really good too. I could not put it down. 

ETA:
    @suzycupcake What are some of your favorite King books? Have you read The Stand? I loved that one so much. 
    TW

• @eleven_ - sounds excellent! Thank you! I love the synopsis, and the "unknown" as the source of horror. Hex is really similar. The story is about a town haunted by a witch and anyone who lives in the town can't leave. If they try they'll feel a deep depression and have a strong urge to commit suicide so they're forced to come back. The witch has her eyes and mouth sewn shut and spends her time wandering around aimlessly. The townsfolk are forbidden to touch the stitches. The curse is centuries old and the setting is in the 2010's so it talks about how they deal with the curse in modern days. And then there are the teenagers who were raised in the town and are just a little too curious... SO good :)
  • @wishiwaspreggo I put Hex on my to-read list  :)
    TW

• @holly321 I just looked up Neil Young. Don't laugh at me. His name sounded familiar but I wasn't sure. I really like his music. I like bluesy folksy type of songs. Do you like Cat Stevens? I like all kinds of songs though, but my favorite is the 80s. Sometimes I like to read backgrounds about bands/musicians but I mostly do that online. Hopefully you'll get to check it out again to finish it. 

@eleven_ I haven't read The Stand. I've read Pet Sematary, The Shining (that movie scares the crap out of me!), It, and Firestarter. I discovered recently that he also wrote The Green Mile. I never knew that. I saw the movie and really want to read the book. 

Have you guys ever read the book 1984? Omg good. 

@wishiwaspreggo Did you see CNN last night?? Omg. I rarely watch the news because I'd rather read it, but I got so upset last night and started screaming at KellyAnne Conway and some other guy I can't remember his name. I am an independent but I've never been more for the liberal side than I am since this election. If the repubs don't call to have trump impeached soon, Idk if they can ever come back from that. The other thing I fear is that if they do, he would probably never step down like past presidents have done. Then people will ascend on DC and his supporters will show up armed. *shiver* Hey we should start a politics thread in chitchat :D 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI

• By the way *waving* Hi @offtoneverland It's so nice to see you over here! 

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI

• Update: I finished The Rules of Magic in time for book club and I really liked it. It's the prequel to Practical Magic, if anyone has read it/seen the movie.

@wishiwaspreggo I haven't read Warm Bodies, but wasn't it a movie? Or maybe I'm thinking of something else. 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • @offtoneverland - Yes, there's a film adaptation based on the book. But, like always, the book is WAY better. The movie was a watered down version of the story. The book has a much stronger emotional impact. I think that's pretty much the case with all books turned into movies. The thing about books is you feel like you're there with the characters and that you're in the story. But with a movie you're just watching it happen and you don't get the critical dialogue in the character's minds. Plus the movie is never what I expected in my mind. Like in Memoirs of a Geisha, Hatsumomo is menacing and cruel in the book but she's just kind of snarky in the movie.

Y'all are going to flame me but I love the Twilight series and I thought the movies were really well done. Like the part where the wolves have the group think about Bella being pregnant with Edward's baby? Amazing.
  • Percy Jackson book . 1st one in series. 
  • kamuidonkamuidon member
    edited September 2018
    some books for writing my essay
  • kamuidonkamuidon member
    edited October 2018
    I like to read many books, but I hate to write my stories and essays on college. Because I can not express my pont of wiews correctly and of course I have some problems with grammar. So, I often got help from Essay Shark

**Link removed by Admin**
  • I am reading The Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck. Love it so far.

• I'm listening to David Leviathan's latest book Someday. I think it's the third in the series about a guy who wakes up in a different body daily. I love the audio cause they have a whole cast.

Me-36
    DH -35
    Married in 2008
    Started TTC in 2011
    Began testing May 2014
    Test Results
    HSG- clear
    Hysteroscopy- clear
    SA- 11 mil count
    45% motility
    Diagnosis: MFI
    July 2014: Femera 5mg CD 4-8, Trigger, IUI = BFN
    August 2015: Femera 5mg CD 4-8, Trigger, IUI = BFN
    September 2015: Femera 5mg CD 4-8, Trigger, IUI = BFN
    May 2018 after long period of not trying, starting adoption process with family friend's newborn
    November 2018 Adoption complete!

• Well, I’m currently stru-ga-ling to get through Lord of the Rings. Never read the books or seen the movies so I figured I’d read the books, then watch it’s movie. So far, the books are terrible but the movies are good (which is a rare occurance for any book lover)

My favourite book, however, is My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares (the author of the sisterhood of the traveling pants books). I’ve recommended it to a friend who doesn’t even like reading (has only gotten through ONE book in his life) and he loved it. 

I can aslo recommend Scott Westerfeld if you’re into Sci-Fi. He’s got a few that are very blah but most of them are incredible. I can go through my list of all his books (I’ve read all of her) and let you know which ones to avoid and which are must-reads if anyone is interested. 

I also love love love Ellen Hopkins. Her styling of writing is so unique, I’ve never seen anything like it. Her books look daunting because they’re so big but open the book and look at the pages, they’re in shapes and have some words in bold where if you read just the bold words it’s like a sub-thought. Just amazing!! I especially recommend Identical. 
    Me: 29 | DH: 28
    Due: 6 Nov 2021
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers

• Right now I've been slowly reading North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. I keep also meaning to start The rosie effect by Gareme Simsion. I actually have tons on my TBR right now...can't list them all.
    Me: 24 H:37
  • I just completed 'Sands of time' by Sydney Sheldon. It was a mind-blowing suspense and thrilling book. With my new reading glasses on for better focus, from City sunglass. I bought a new novel by Sydney Sheldon, now will read after a break.  For now, I am just focussing on my little teething toddler, he just learnt walking. 

• Hey all! 

I'm not sure whether I can post this here, but I'll give it a shot! Instead of reading (I can't focus properly at the moment.... too much going on in my mind....) I've taken to ASMR for relaxation. I bumped to this thing on a site called ASMRstate, and they seemed to have a nice collection to start experimenting with this. BTW, if you're totally new to ASMR like I was a moment ago, they have a nice ASMR definition on their site. If you navigate there you can find some nice suggestions for starting videos as well, I really liked the dog ones, as I've always been fond of dogs.

Thanks and have a great day!
  • Now I'm reading George Orwell 1984
  • oddyannoddyann member
    edited October 2022
    In need of some good book suggestions. Would love to hear what you're reading right now and what you think of it.

I was super excited when a book called Vox came out yesterday (a dystopian novel where women can only speak 100 words a day) because the premise was so dark and intriguing. I borrowed a sample from Amazon and read the first couple chapters. I dunno if it's worth buying now :\ I'm really picky about an author's voice and style. It has to be convincing. This book kind of reminded me of 50 Shades of Grey in that - I was really, really excited about the plot but then when I opened it to read it I was so disappointed. Hokey language, unconvincing actions of the protagonist and side characters, goofy plot twists, and general nonsense are a huge turn-off. I read the reviews of Vox and a lot of people complained about goofy plots and general nonsense. Guess it'll have to be a library pick.

I'm thinking for my next book I'm gonna do Baby Teeth. It sounds sufficiently creepy.
    I like this book suggestions. Moreover, everything is presented at such a high level. Like the technology, which is very impressive. Now I'm preparing a work on technology and therefore I'm trying to study it as much as possible. And examples help me with this. I'm curious to hear other people's opinions on this, but it also helps me with fresh ideas for my writing.
  • jareddyjareddy member
    edited October 2023
    Great Gatsby
  • Time and Time Again by Ben Elton. Great book, strong recommend!  B)
  • I am currently reading a blog from this site https://gowithguide.com/blog/egypt-tourism-statistics-2023-all-you-need-to-know-5312 I always love to travel and look for destination that I could visit and also getting some name Ideas for my baby. if you have any blog site that you could recommend I would really appreciate it.