July 2018 Moms
Options

C-section check in and questions

1235»

Re: C-section check in and questions

• Options
    Im still bleeding and have gushes still at times. I have a few numb spots but hope feeling comes back. I have a lot of mid and low back pain and some abdominal pain. Mainly I think from crappy couches that dont give good support and just muscles being destroyed and needing to be slowly rebuilt. No real pain at the incision site this week. im still taking colace because BM's without anf even sometimes with it are painful. 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    @lindsayleigh1989 sorry to hear your still having to take colace. I hate the numb areas. It took a full year for mine to feel kinda normal after DS. 
    My stretch marks feel really sensitive too which i didn’t experience with DS. I’m starting to notice a minor shelf above my incision and i hope it’s just still swelling and it goes away. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    sm05-2sm05-2 member
    @wildtot I’m about two and a half weeks out, and I’m feeling better. The burning pain has dramatically lessened, and I’m taking Advil and Tylenol just twice a day now. Plus I can also hold the baby while going from sitting to standing, so I’ve been able to help out more, and that feels good. 

Hope the the swelling goes down for you, if that’s what it is. @lindsayleigh1989 sorry to hear that you’re still on Colace, but hoping it helps!
  • Options
    @sm05-2 Glad to hear you are feeling better! I am also about 2.5 weeks out and noticing a big difference in what I can do comfortably, which is great. Took my first solo trip with the kiddo yesterday in the stroller, so feeling very accomplished :) Still have to take it slow walking, though.  Hoping all the c-section mamas are gaining strength - thinking of you all!
  • Options
    Holy swelling batman.  My legs are huge and dr just said they're worse than yesterday. I've also been getting these really weird migraines without the headache part - auras,  nausea,  light sensitivity,  but no ice pick stab to the eye. Two nights in a row now. Anyone else? Im day 4 and my incision feels bruised and tender so i'm icing it. Confession - terrified of taking a shower so have only done sponge baths. 
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @gingerbride26 I would call your nurseline sometimes people get bad headaches from the spinal. I sometimes get them though when I breast feed mainly when she is clusterfeeding

• Options
    @gingerbride26 i had major leg and feet swelling for about a week pp and even some minor numbness. Everyone just kept saying it was normal. I never got swollen feet while pregnant or after DS so this was odd for me. The bruising and tenderness is normal along with some numbness. Icing was helpful for me. I had a lot of pain at one point though that i asked for lidocaine patches so i can avoid the pain meds.
  • Options
    @lindsayleigh1989 i'm still in hospital so have been mentioning itto my night nurse and resident :) i was under general so it shouldn't be a spinal headache. It just started again this morning so mentioning it to my group ob whenever they come to check on me. 
    @wildtot same here for no major swelling pre delivery so this is s bit shocking.  Trying to find balance between walking to promote flow and raising to promote drainage.  I just want to stick them in an ice bath! My finger swelling is completely gone though!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @gingerbride26 for my first pregnancy I had no swelling during the pregnancy, but blew up like a balloon after the csection. This pregnancy I had severe swelling starting at week 33 and I actually deflated after the csection. Every pregnancy is different I guess.. 
  • Options
    Oh man, for my first one my toddler wouldn't get out of the bathroom with me. Since I was under general anesthesia for the csection, they loaded me up with morphine so that on top of already being constipated, well it was a rough time... especially with a toddler asking questions through it... lol
  • Options
    @gingerbride26 I was also terrified to shower, make sure the nurse gives you the all clear. Only have your back to the water and have Someone on standby near you. Also try to space it 30 mins after a pain Med. My first shower was painful and I wasn’t expecting it. It also made me lightheaded, I’m a total baby when it comes to pain. The pain was not worse than standing up but just a different new sensation.
  • Options
    sm05-2sm05-2 member
    @gingerbride26, agree with @catftm2018  on her advice, particularly with the shower. Hang in there—the first days can be tough!

I’m now 4 weeks PP, and I’m still experiencing hand swelling and pain throughout the day, even though I’ve lost a lot of weight (water weight). There’s no tingling and numbness, so I don’t think it’s carpal tunnel syndrome—just some swelling and pain and it’s making me a little clumsier than usual. Has this happened to anyone else?
  • Options
    @sm05-2 I feel clumsier too but for me (5 weeks PP) it’s not associated with pain or swelling. Everyone is different but my advice is maybe put a call into your doctor just to double check. 

I am still experiencing poop issues. I’ve been consistently taking a stool softener and can’t go unless I take it. Any previous c sections also have that? When does it go away?
  • Options
    Finally got the tapes off from my incision and doesn’t look too bad al though it seems longer than my first one. I have a lot of tingling and numbness to the touch right above it. Some of my stretch marks hurt in that area. I have this an indent right above my scare that makes it look like i have two scares  :( 
    For those having BM issues, have your tried miralax? I took colace during my hospital stay and had no effect. Once i got home i took miralax and it did the trick. My ob even said it works better than colace. Hope you all get relief soon!
  • Options
    sm05-2sm05-2 member
    App is finally letting me respond! I second what @wildtot says about the Miralax (and you can even take it at the same time as Colace—that’s what did the trick for me). 
  • Options
    The hospital has been giving me senna every day for poop on top of the colace - at home my go-to is metamucil first if that doesnt work miralax.

@catftm2018 and @sm05-2 i waited an extra day to shower and made dh do most of it so i just had the stand there. I have sense broken out in a hivey rash from just under boobs to tops of hips which we can't figure out. It comes and goes in severity, but is so freaking itchy. I'm loving an icepack over the incision.  The pitting edema of my feet is still pretty terrible but seems to have stabilized!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @gingerbride26 I’m also getting migraine symptoms without the pain.
    @wildtot my tapes came off at 1 week pp, which I was glad because I think they were starting to smell.
    AFM, I feel more comfortable asking for help this time around. I’m also more comfortable with DH seeing me naked or helping me put on pants and things like that. My bm issue was that LO would start crying every time I went to the restroom, so it was hard to just sit there. As soon as I was able to just sit there for several minutes it all came out. I’m scared to stop taking the Colace. Is it safe to take for several weeks?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @AlwaysMrsS I had to take it every day of my pregnancy since I get severe constipation during pregnancy. All 3 of my doctors okayed it.
  • Options
    @AlwaysMrsS I just stopped taking it and im almostn5 weeks pp

• Options
    Thank you @wildtot @sm05-2 I will purchase miralax ASAP! 

@gingerbride26 congrats on the successful shower! 
  • Options
    @gingerbride26 I developed a similar rash right after my first shower too.  We figured out that my soap and my washcloth were further irritating my skin after the harsh chemicals they use during the csection to disinfect the area.  The reason we figured it out as because there was one swipe mark high on my stomach that was noticeably worse.  We figure that’s where they started rubbing the disinfectant so it was more concentrated in that area.  Anyways it went away after a couple days.  In the meantime I used my hands to run the soap on instead of a washcloth which seemed to help a little.  Hopefully yours has resolved itself too!
  • Options
    @tarheelgirl8 that makes complete sense.  The OB resident kept swearing it was a tape allergy and one of my nurses said BS because it was from boob to hip and tape was only low.  I was wondering if it was the hospital soap or my binder - but you're right it was only on the front and where the orange tinge was remaining, so I bet it is the iodine/prep!!

Anyone else have belly pain and tenderness to touch get worse 1 week PP?  I'm sure being home and therefore overdoing it and not being as good about med regularity aren't helping, but am surprised how much more painful it really is.  I'm also more swollen/bigger belly than when i left the hospital and some hard spots/ridges around incision....my OB visit is Tuesday.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @gingerbride26 i still have some tender spots above my incision but not painful for meds at 4wks. I recall some “hardness” at the incision for a bit but eventually softened over time. It could be scare tissue. After your healed you can gently massage it to hopefully help break it down. 
  • Options
    AlwaysMrsSAlwaysMrsS member
    edited August 2018
    My mom arrives Thursday, and I’m not sure if I’m ready to drive 2 hours round trip to the airport. I’ll be 5 weeks postpartum. I’ve driven up to 2 miles one way, but not much overall. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @AlwaysMrsS I would at this point recovery wise you should be fine for the trip. however mentally and emotionally due to sleep deprivationbis another story. is it possible for you to drive to the airport and your mom drive from there to your home so you can just relax? 

• Options
    @AlwaysMrsS I would say if you decide to do the drive allocate extra time just in case! I've been doing 8 hour round trips since DD was 2 weeks old every other weekend and some trips take longer than others. Good luck mama!