December 2018 Moms

The Great Craft Thread

Re: The Great Craft Thread

• I am not crafty or artistic whatsoever...all of you are so impressive!  For our son, my husband painted two paintings for the nursery. I’m hoping he will do the same for this little one. My contribution is trying to journal the heck out of this pregnancy. 
  • @lavenderlisa you are absolutely talented! (PS my paintings were done with the assistance of YouTube tutorials!).
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm dying a little at how much this costs, but I want to make it for baby so badly
    https://www.fatquartershop.com/north-stars-quilt-kit
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • @runrinserepeat That block with the otters holding hands :love:
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • @scaredunprepared Yassss youtube for the win!!!!!!
  • Cute @binxybaby! I really want to start knitting some baby hats for LO. Yours is crocheted, right? Did you use a pattern? 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • @runrinserepeat Ya, I just looked on YouTube and found a video that showed the exact yarn and crochet needle I had. I didn't have to buy anything so that was nice! 

Here's a link in case you're interested:

https://youtu.be/9331EBtKokI
    Pregnancy TickerSaveSave
  • We just found out the gender so I'm thinking of things to make for our baby. I have a sewing machine but I'm definitely a BEGINNER (as in every time I try to use it, my bobbin jams). I'll probably use my cricut to make some onesies and maybe crochet a blanket. My craft room will be turned into the nursery so I better get on being crafty before we have to take everything out!
  • omnommeromnommer member
    edited July 2018
    @Selina1313 You can use a cricut to make onesies?!?! I've been thinking about a cricut for years and never splurged on it. This might cause me to buy one. Hahahaha. I also make handmade cards for everything, so it would definitely be used.

Also, we have a roommate right now and he may or may not move out before baby comes. He's a best friend (was best man in our wedding), and is more like family than anything else. The other spare room is currently my craft room, so I might be in the same boat as you for losing my craft room! I can't decide which would be preferable... no longer having him as a roomie or losing my crafting space.  :D
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @omnommer I only have the air 2 so I can make designs to go on onesies. But if you have the cricut maker, it cuts fabric too so you can probably make the actual onesie with that. It's so much fun!
  • @selina1313 Either would be super fun! Gotta see if Prime Day has discounts on either the air 2 or the maker. :) 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • As a decidedly non crafty person, can I ask you crafty ladies about the difficulty of this one project I was thinking of trying? So, for my wedding day I wore a plaid shawl (we got married in Scotland and it was freezing, so it was an impulse buy that ended up looking super cute) anyway, I was thinking I wanted to line it with something soft and use it as a baby blanket for this LO (and ideally, put a little embroidered tag in it with both my DD and this LO's birthdates and names in it.)

How...hard would this be for a non seamstress to do by hand? I have sewn, like, as a child, so I know the basics of threading a needle and stitching by hand, so I assume I would just need to go to a fabric store with the shawl, measure and buy some soft fabric and then lay it flat and stitch it in by hand with thread? (I don't have a sewing machine or any idea how to operate one.) As for the embroidered tag, I may be able to find something I can buy custom on Etsy and then stitch that in? (Or I can skip that part.)

OR is this whole thing way too ambitious for a non crafty person who barely knows the rudimentary things about sewing? Is this something I should/could pay someone to do instead? Or just scrap the idea? Thanks so much in advance for any advice!
  • @maureenmce I think it’s definitely something that you can tackle, but it may take some time. Also, I’d recommend turning under the edges of the soft fabric that you choose to see onto the shawl, to give it a more finished look. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • @maureenmce if the soft part you chose to line it with might fray at all the edges will need hemmed somehow. Like @runrinserepeat said, your best bet is probably to fold it under and pin to the edge of the blanket. 
    Hand sewig can be done well, but it will take a while. It’s the sort of project that I’d bring out when SO and I watch a show at night. Work on a little bit each day over a few months. Do you have pins and an iron? Ironing the edges will help them stay folded down nice. 
    If it sounds like too much tedious work, I’d recommend you find a friend nearby with a sewing machine and see if they want to make something for the baby.
    The embroidery would be best to have someone do at an embroidery shop or Etsy. They make really cool sewing machines that will embroider any image you upload in it. Those will look much nearer than novice hand embroidery (I say this because I’ve been trying to embroider occasionally for a year now and my work still looks sloppy. Lol)

Good luck! 
  • @maureenmce I think you definitely can do it! The embroidery part definitely would be the hardest and I'd recommended looking for something custom on etsy to add to the blanket. For the rest of it, find a pattern online for what you want to do and follow those instructions - it'll make it a whole lot easier for you! For example, I just searched google quickly, and came up with this: https://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/make-and-decorate/crafts/easy-sewing-project--how-to-make-a-double-sided-baby-blanket. While it's for a sewing machine, you could follow it in principle and do it by hand.

As an update on my crochet dragon stuffed animal: I finished the head and it's stuffed and I've made the ears, eyes, horns, nose, etc. I put those on at the end though, so I will need to wait on that. It's not much of a picture yet, lol. My task the next few weeks is to make the body. It's coming along!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Thanks so much for the advice @runrinserepeat @tumbleweed-1 and @omnommer ! I think I will try to tackle this!  And totally agree I should look into Etsy for the embroidery part!
  • So not baby related, but essentially pregnancy related even though they'll be used after as well. TMI** I've been having so much increased fluid and it really annoys me constantly. I only had about 5 cloth pads before getting pregnant as I was making the transition to cloth slowly. So those didn't last me long, and I'd rather not use disposable because I have ridiculously sensitive skin, more so down there. So, tonight I made some cloth liners!! First time serging curves like these around the wings, so not perfect by any means, but I finally got to use my snap pliers I bought a few months ago!! I can't wait to make baby onesies with snaps though! 

@runrinserepeat omg the hat and the pants!! You're making me want to learn to knit/crochet clothes lol. I'll probably just stick with sewing though :lol:
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• @CecilB93 THOSE ARE ADORABLE! omg, love them. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • @CecilB93 omg that's so cute! WANT!
  • @CecilB93
    OMG this is adorable! Did you buy a pattern to make this?

• @ab_canada yes and no, lol. Both were free patterns from a group on Facebook, Patterns for Pirates. The gown was actually just a shirt pattern, I just extended it and added elastic to make it a gown.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• @tumbleweed-1 Omg, those are so cute! I have got to learn to sew. I have a sewing machine... just need to find time to get some fabric and an EASY pattern and learn.  :D
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @tumbleweed-1 so cute!! I love the fabric combinations!! I essentially added about 10-11 inches I think, basically attached a full sheet of paper to the bottom lol. I think it's going to be super long compared to baby, but I'd prefer too long over too short. The pattern I used is newborn sized, I think I may make one in a 3 month size too, but with baby coming no less than a week early I imagine the NB should fit fine. The bottom across measured about 17-18 inches I think? Before seeing the sides together. I made my elastic about 14 inches, ended up being probably 13-13.5 after sewing ends together. I didn't want the elastic too small, I do need to be able to get it up for diaper changes lol.

@omnommer I can't wait to see it!!

Currently I have a pair of NB sized footed pants cut out for our matching Christmas pjs, haven't sewn them yet. I did make myself a maternity shirt and matching mesh cardigan! It can be seen in the HDBD post. I've got the stuff for a second, and I'm making a maternity hoodie next week in a sew a long on FB! I'm so excited for it!! Lol
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• @CecilB93
    I just sent a request to join Patterns for Pirates ;)

• @ab_canada yay!! I love P4P patterns! They're so easy to follow the instructions and so many people modify things and share how they did it. I've made a nursing friendly dress from one of their patterns too! They've got a maternity mod for one pattern, but it can work for other patterns too. It's what I used for the shirt in my HDBD photo yesterday! The cardigan is one of their patterns too lol.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• @CecilB93 I bought the same fabric  :D 
    It’s a trendy plaid right now. SO and I got matching Christmas pjs in that color last winter- I thought of making baby a set too. Funny. SO also has a daytime shirt of it- which has caused some pj confusion.

We call it “Portland Camo” because of a joke about when my brother first met my partner. My SO was wearing a flannel/plaid shirt and my brother didn’t think much of it, until he realized 1/3 of the people in the bar were all wearing plaid. He joked that Portlanders love the design like country folk love camo, and also we all blend in together. 
  • @tumbleweed-1 it's a great fabric! Lol. The plaid matches the panels I got for our shirts, so it kind of picked itself this year. The last two years I haven't made matching shirts, so we just picked whatever we liked. First year was white with black elks (we shopped late for fabric lol), last year we did a gray with polar bears all wearing different sweaters or scarves. I'm super excited for our pjs this year!
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• @CecilB93 Adorable!

I just ordered some flannel in a gray and white print and I'm going to make some reusable baby wipes and a few burp cloths with it.  I am also going to turn an old ripped sheet into bassinet sheets.  This is advanced sewing for me.  I'm also thinking of making this stuffed dino if I have enough fabric.  I will report back with results!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @omnommer any update on the crochet dragon?? 

Bumping this thread because I made a NB sized AIO cloth diaper tonight, and it's SO TINY!!! :love: (for reference, the minion you see three of is maybe just over an inch, I think the tabs are less than two inches tall!)

DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• @CecilB93 that is so wee and cute! I admire y'all's talent. This makes me want to start knitting again (which is the only craft I kinda sorta know how to do)