December 2018 Moms
Options

The Great Craft Thread

tumbleweed-1tumbleweed-1 member
edited May 2018 in December 2018 Moms
Crafty parents, what are you making for the new baby? Do you sew, scrapbook, crochet, knit, paint, make soap, metal smith, or something else I missed? Please share your projects here! Photos of finished projects and how to DIY’s encouraged.

edited the title because I wasn’t feeling it. 

Re: The Great Craft Thread

• Options
    @tumbleweed-1 my little cousins always LOVED the satin bindings on their blankies. I say go for it. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm going to be making lots of onesies for the baby with my cricut and a blanket once I find out the gender (not sure if I will sew or crochet). It's killing me to not know the gender so I can craft! Lol
  • Options
    I'll probably wait until I know if baby is a boy or girl, because I plan to sew all the dresses if it's a girl! One thing I've got planned for sure is Christmas pajama pants, I make DH, DS, and myself matching Christmas pajama pants every year. I can't wait to have a family of 4 pajama picture! I'm kind of planning on making an outfit for bringing baby home in, we'll see how it turns out. I still need to get a couple things. And I'd like to make some cloth diapers! I have the stuff, just need to do it lol.

I'm also really excited to make myself good tops/dresses for nursing in! I'll share a picture this weekend of a dress I've already made, I'm planning to wear it to a wedding on Saturday so I'll snap a pic then. Oh, and post partum cloth pads are on my list of things to make for myself. I'm still new to cloth pads, but I think the cloth will be way more comfortable than the disposable!
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Options
    MAKING your own family PJs?? I love it! All of you are super impressive. 
  • Options
    @hoosiermama-2 well I've only made the pants the last few years, I need to start making shirts to go with lol. I'm hoping to do shirts with the pants this year! We'll see how motivated I am when I'm mega-pregnant :sweat_smile: 
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Options
    @CecilB93 have you made cloth diapers before? I feel like that’s something that would be handy to make, but I think it’s a bit beyond my basic sewing skill and tools. Is there a certain style you make? 
    I’m most likely diapering with prefolds w/ a cover over them. Or sometimes an insert with the cover over (rather than pocket inserted style), if the insert can go against baby’s skin. Need to do more research. Anyway, making the covers would be fun because I can pick the patterns and colors. 
  • Options
    @tumbleweed-1 I've actually only ever made one, it was just a cover style. Honestly, I'll probably talk with the daycare and see if they have a preferred style. I know some won't do covers and inserts, so I may make pockets for daycare especially. I prefer covers and inserts though because I like reusing the shell if it's just a wet diaper!
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Options
    tumbleweed-1tumbleweed-1 member
    edited June 2018
    Reusing the cover part (if it doesn’t get wet/soiled) is exactly why I want to do the prefolds/insert style. I don’t know why someone would want to double the laundry. I hadn’t thought of daycares rejecting certain types of cloth diapers. All of my cloth diaper experience is from working in daycare centers. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen all the styles. 
    Edit- typo 
  • Options
    @tumbleweed-1 our first daycare with DS wouldn't do cloth at all. And I never made the transition back to cloth when we moved to the new daycare so I'm not sure if they have a preference. I do know I need to make a billion small wetbags though because every diaper has to be "double bagged". So the diaper goes into a small wetbag, then the small wetbag goes into a bigger wetbag with the other small wetbags. That's why I never switched back to cloth, we don't have enough wetbags and I never got around to making/buying more lol.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Options
    JilleBean JilleBean member
    edited June 2018
    I am in the process of crocheting a baby blanket, which is about 85% done. Curtains, a simple shelving unit, and (possibly) refurbish a dresser are all on my to do list during 2nd trimester. 

Edited for missing word
  • Options
    So we have been doing a lot of house and yard work the last month or so, and I haven't had a chance to do anything else but here is what I was thinking of sewing:
    - swaddle blankets (the kind that lets the legs flop freely)
    - onesies
    - my own diaper bag? I don't know enough of what makes one functional, so I will have to look around
    - fitted sheets for the crib, once we have it 
    - maternity shirts for me

• Options
    I made two small crocheted blankets. I really want to try my hand at making burp cloths (the ones that are kind of angled to fit on your shoulder). If I'm feeling really crafty, I might try to crochet a hat or two as well.
    Pregnancy TickerSaveSave
  • Options
    @Boobopgirl Stahp being so crafty! It's intimidating lol
    Pregnancy TickerSaveSave
  • Options
    @binxybaby. It's a cover up for like...major anxiety issues.  Crafting is therapy, lol.  You should have seen my wedding, lol.  People who didn't know me that well we're like...woah.  All my close friends realized that crafting that much is me trying NOT to have a nervous breakdown every 4 seconds.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Crafting definitely can be therapeutic
    Pregnancy TickerSaveSave
  • Options
    Of course the rest of my comment didn't autosave...grrr. I was saying that your crafts are definitely impressive and I love your idea of making a personalized blanket for each kiddo. I may have to steal that idea...
    Pregnancy TickerSaveSave
  • Options
    @omnommer I want pics of that dragon when it’s done, please!
    **June Siggy Challenge - P.I.L.Fs**
    httpsstaticboredpandacomblogwp-contentuploads201702best-dad-ever-chris-hemsworth-thor-589aec291b80c__700jpg
  • Options
    @rosebud332 Will do! But it might be a few months.  :D
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I admire all of you ladies and your craftiness. I need to be more crafty.... ;) #goals 
    Image result for jackson april gif baby
  • Options
    I am thinking of decorating some plain onesies like this.  Seems simple enough and very cute.  I was considering having a onesie decorating station at my shower, but I'm too controlling for that I think lol

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    That is beautiful @echo-charlietango.  Please post a photo your final product!

I also want to see this dragon @omnommer!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    timesacharmtimesacharm member
    edited June 2018
    I love this thread! You're all so creative. Giving me some serious inspiration.

@tumbleweed-1 Love the dragon blanket! I think adding the satin border will really give it a beautiful finished look. Can't wait to see what you decide on.

@CecilB93 Making cloth diapers is such a cool idea. Doing my cloth diaper research I came across a brand that I think is exclusively made by work at home  moms. (Can I remember the brand? Of course not.) Also,  your dress looked great. Love the style!

My making plans include a knit baby blanket with stars (got the free pattern on Ravelry.) I also plan on scrapbooking life when baby arrives. After seeing all the great sewists here I am inspired to break out my sewing machine. Just wish it had a permanent home in the house. And maybe I'll buy some heat transfer material and make some cute onesies too. I have a Silhouette that I love to use. 

(Edited for spelling.)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Love all the crafts so far ladies! You’re all rocking it!

I’m working on a baby quilt right now that’s not for me. Need to quilt the border and do the binding and then I can finally move on to our baby. Thinking I’m just going to make a few receiving blankets, though I’d love to do another quilt for him. I’m just lacking inspiration, so baby quilt ideas welcome! I’ll post pictures when I’m done with the one I’m working on. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    For all the sewists, what are the best things to learn how to sew with or resources that you know of? I'd love to start (and have crocheted/knitted for years), but haven't a clue where to begin. My grandfather bought me a sewing machine before he passed away because he thought I needed it. I've never used it, but would love to!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @omnommer I have a book that's pretty basic at home, with lots of good information and some projects to practice the different skills. Alas, I can't remember what it's called. I'll try to remember to snap a picture when I get home. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    @runrinserepeat Thank you! The most I've done is hem pants by hand and put buttons back on things, so I'm definitely a total newbie at this. :) 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @echo-charlietango Love those shelves! Can't wait to see the end result!
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    @runrinserepeat That’s amazing! I hope your baby niece loves it :heart:
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • Options
    @lavenderlisa I love the paintings! They are so sweet.  I made a collection of paintings for my niece before she was born.  I wish I had the same drive to make them for my new niece or nephew and my own baby, but I'm so lazy! 

@runrinserepeat how perfect!  That quilt is so beautiful. 
  • Options
    @scaredunprepared thank you! Your paintings are amazing. I'm not that talented!