December 2018 Moms
Options

Canadian Moms Check-in

2»

Re: Canadian Moms Check-in

• Options
    @kristah2
    We are Sunlife too, so hopefully it's part of their standard plan! But it could depend on each company.. 

• Options
    Husband is with a really small company so it was set up more like group benefits then through an employer. I remember when they were deciding the package to get for the firm they picked something just above average.
    If you find out before I do let me know! Obviously I'll have to double check but H is so slow with getting me log in information!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    With sunlife as well and I *think* we get $200. I haven't looked into it, but that is what I heard through one of H's co-workers!
  • Options
    I just realized there is a Canadian thread! YAY! ...I'm also from Ontario.

We bought some things for baby in the states a but held off on the big things like strollers, etc since they were so expensive.  When we got to the border they asked us what we bought so we told them a bunch of stuff plus some baby items. They asked us to list specifically what baby items we bought and wanted to check if we bought bigger items. They gave us "the talk" on safety standards in  US vs. Canada. I noticed after looking into it a little at home they are a little different but often meet both standards since majority is US made.  Just as a heads up... I don't know if anyone knows more about this...?

I know I'll be taking 12 months maternity leave at a minimum but I actually think i will end up taking closer to 13 months dependant on baby's arrival. I am due December 12th and work in childcare that is voluntary over the Christmas and New Years holidays so in toying with the idea of just being off December to January.

Thank you for posting links to some freebies!
  • Options
    @jackie_jsm

Welcome! I will also be taking closer to 13 months, just because I can use my accumulated vacation and the start and end of my leave. I figure having an extra month of baby time will be worth not saving vacation until the next year (plus, it's frowned upon to carry over more than a week every year, so our company actually encourages this). The only part that doesn't work out is that I think I have to come back to work the week before Christmas, which is a bit silly. But DH's office is closed between Christmas and New Year's Day and it won't be too difficult for him to take off an extra week before then. That way we delay daycare by a month, which would save us $1400!

I don't know of any safety regulation issues between US/Canada specifically you should be worried about. I am sure if it's fine in the US, it will be fine here (I mean, a lot of the differences between countries are due to how "conservative" they want to be - it's not like once you bring that product into Canada it will automatically become dangerous). They only thing I know about is skincare products (apparently, the regulations are softer in the States than Canada and Europe), but even then, I doubt companies would use different formulas in every country they operate - they are much more likely to make one product that qualifies in all markets, IMO.

• Options
    kristah2kristah2 member
    edited July 2018
    Hi @jackie_jsm!! 
    Honestly, If I had the opportunity to shop cross boarder I absolutely would. Yes they have different standards but they are still safe IMO. 
    That said - the only thing you need to keep an eye on is car seats if flying. I know airlines look for a specific label and I'm not sure what the US car seats have in comparison. 
    buttt most companies make car seats available in US and Canada and would meet safety standards of both instead of making 2 different lines of car seats. Or they make certain seats elsewhere, one I was looking at is only available in the US which was super annoying. Like i said, I wouldn't worry.

I've actually bought medication in the states with my LO was about 11 months old. I wouldn't do this all the time as the ingredients and standards are different but they have so many kids there who have been fine.
    I also know a lot of people who shop elsewhere for formula due to trying to find something that works for baby.

And clothes - bring on the good deals!! 

ETA: Another big difference you'll see is in sleepers (like co sleepers / bassinets etc) as they have different regulations. For example the rock and play is advertised here as such but in the US is advertised as a sleeper. Canada in order for something to be qualified as a sleeper it needs to meet safe sleep guidelines which means it has to be 100% flat and not inclined. 

• Options
    jackie_jsmjackie_jsm member
    edited July 2018
    @ab_canada

Oh childcare costs... I dread the thought of paying for it! Anything to put off having to pay for it is golden IMO! DH says to stop overthinking mat leave and take as much time as i need which i appreciate but then I can't help but feel guilty at the loss of income... and then back to the question, is it worth me going back to work in the end with the cost of childcare, etc? Oh new mom struggles!

@kristah2

Yeah I agree, I think it's all in the definitions and how its marketed. I was just surprised by the huge warning we got... but... to me, they wouldn't put something out in the states that would necessarily be unsafe in Canada or vice versa and great deals are great deals! 
  • Options
    Apparently doctor's notes related to maternity leave should be covered by benefits, FYI

• Options
    Canadians can use this link with Amazon prime (or prime free trial) and their baby registry to get a free pack of newborn Pampers:
    https://www.amazon.ca/b?node=17795716011&tag=bccaprimeday2018nativebabygift-20

• Options
    FYI I called sunlife today and on DH's plan they cover 80% up to $300 once every 60 months with dr note.

They are switching to Desjardin in September so I'm trying to decide if I take advantage of that or hold out and gamble on what the plan can offer me there 
  • Options
    @kristah2

If I am not mistaken, there is also a timing thing to consider - they may only approve it after week 28 (this isn't something I confirmed, but saw through some internet research).

• Options
    hmm good thinking. Maybe I should wait to see what desjardin does. I do have my old one as a worst case scenario 
  • Options
    I am so OVER trying to figure out how much "take home" pay I get on maternity leave.. The government website is confusing (why call it maternity + parental leave?); I don't know what happens with my company "top up" and annual bonus (I mean, the bonus would be for work done in 2018, so it shouldn't count, right?) and WHY couldn't they make it easier and pay you in after tax dollars? Seriously.. beating my head against the wall over here..

• Options
    It definitely is confusing @ab_canada
    If you're doing the 12 month option its 55% of your gross income. For example if your pay is $1000 bi weekly before taxes you would get $550  - this is to a max ($547 per week)
    As for top up, that is individual with your company. I had top up for 17 weeks last time and they topped up to 100% of my salary.
    As for bonus' I do believe you need to report those. You do not need to report any top up because it's a maternity related benefit.
    Once you get your bonus I would call Service Canada and confirm if it needs to be reported or not. 
  • Options
    @kristah2
    See, and I would have thought that that bonus would have been irrelevant because it's for work done the previous year.. I will definitely have to call to confirm.
    But the $547/week is also taxable, so once you apply income tax, there isn't exactly much left over, isn't there? It's a wonder anyone can afford to have children.. 

• Options
    @ab_canada they actually tax EI a lot lower then a regular cheque would be.
    The upside: More money! (I actually made more on EI with top up then I did before I went off.) I think the max ends up being about $990-ish (probably a little more) every 2 weeks so at $547 per week you're really only losing about $50 or less a week in taxes.
    The downside: You WILL have to pay in come tax time where you'll be on EI for most of 2019. So keep that in mind when you go to file for the 2019 tax year. I was off in 2017 until November 1 and I had to pay in about $2500 and that was with max tuition credits applied.
  • Options
    @kristah2
    Oh, I didn't know the tax rate would be lower. Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better! I know I will have to pay income tax in the end - I will try to figure out some some to put away regularly, but so far I haven't been very successful in figuring anything out, so I might just call my HR department and see if they can help! Somebody has to know these things..

• Options
    @ab_canada personally I wouldn't worry just yet. When you go back to work December 2019 and start making your regular salary again I'd start putting money away then until tax time. You can also make installments until it's paid off when the time comes. No need to worry about that just yet!
    HR might suggest they take more taxes out but it really wouldn't help at this point. If they take more out now it would go for 2018 tax year. If they take more out on your return it would only be 1 month torward the 2019 tax year. 
  • Options
    Hey folks, I have some experience now to share on the topic of insurance coverage for breast pumps (I know, I’m a few weeks behind!). 

I switched jobs jobs earlier this year. Both employers offer extended health insurance through Desjardins. Only my new employer has a ‘health care spending account’ component to the benefit. 

Long story short, the core plan does not cover pumps but I can get reimbursed from my health care spending account balance toward a pump if I submit a physician prescription with my receipt. 

So if in doubt call and check. I called twice because the first time around they just looked at the main policy and told me there was no coverage. I had to call in again and specifically mention the health care spending account to get the answer I was looking for. 
  • Options
    Speaking of EI - has anyone had experience with splitting the parental leave with a partner? I am so on the fence about what to do. If I went back to work for a few months before June and husband stays home, I get paid in full for the summer (but am off - teacher!) and then he could stay home with me on EI. It would be nice to be off together but the whole idea of going back early will entirely depend on how I'm feeling. 

Anyway, my question is, with EI, is it super complicated to split it with your spouse? Is switching back and forth a big headache? (Like if I work April-August but then he goes back and I take Sept-Dec off). 

It sounds complicated just typing it out... would live to hear from someone who has gone through that process before! 

• Options
    I don't think you can switch back and forth - as in when you go back to work you are back to work.
    But you and your spouse can take it the same time but it would use it up faster obviously.

This is my understanding but I would call to double check. 
  • Options
    Thanks @kristah2

Re: SunLife and breast pumps. I called today, and under my husband's plan we get 80% coverage with a doctor's note up to a purchase price of $300. (So they will put in $240) I start my new job in 2 weeks so once I have my benefits there I will call as well to see if they offer anything and I can combine offers to get one of those really expensive ones. Fingers crossed!
  • Options
    FYI Well.ca has had some awesome sales lately.
    It was the only place I could find the Britax car set I was looking for on sale.
    Yesterday I ordered a pair of Belly Bandit BDA leggings - on sale for $50 plus if you're a new customer with referral you get $10 off.
    If anyone has seen my posts lately I've been super raving about Belly Bandit!!! This time I splurged for the leggings that I can wear now but also after. PP can be a bit of a wake up call when you leave the hospital and still look half pregnant but your super soft and none of your full panel pants fit you.
    Last time I spent about a month in pj pants but with the holiday season coming up I figured I can't hibernate so I bought leggings that will make me feel good and look appropriate in public. 
    Also a fan of old navy's maternity pixie pants for the same reason. 
    If anyone wants a referral code for well.ca let me know I'll send one but anyone can send so if you know someone who has an account have them do so since they will get $10 off too (I wasn't offering for the coupon - just letting you know where to go for good deals!)

AND babies r us have changed up their R club program. Now they will send emails to members offering member exclusive deals not advertised. This week was 20% off feeding (so bottles, nipples, etc). If you're not an R club member sign up! You never know what things might pop up!

One more thing. For those of you who may have just ordered a Chicco KeyFit like I did.. there was a safety alert. If you want the info let me know I'll find the link.
    They are sending out repair kits for anyone affected. I just got my seat in the mail late last week and registered for a repair kit already so I can have it done when I install it in November.

• Options
    Great news about Sunlife coverage for breast pumps - they cover not only the pump but extra shields, tubes, etc up to the same maximum, but if you exceed the max a "health spending account" will cover it as well (so for me it's 100% covered up to $300, and if I go over that with the extra parts I can always claim it against my HSA). 

• Options
    Babies R Us is having their BabyFest! Some of the deals look really good.

• Options
    Yea!!! Costco has their baby stuff on sale right now too and I think Best Buy as well. They tend to try to compete. How’s the time you should find everything you need on sale!