December 2018 Moms
Options

Canadian Moms Check-in

It's been a while since our last check in!
How are we all doing up in the north?!
No real structure for a check-in here (unless you want one? open to suggestions!) Just a way to connect with other Canadian moms to discuss products, registries, maternity leave etc. that may be different from our US friends. 

Re: Canadian Moms Check-in

• Options
    Good idea @kristah2

I'm excited to pick up my Alberta baby box tomorrow. Although I don't think it compares to the US Amazon box, it's still awesome that we can get something :)
    Also, maternity clothes shopping wasn't as bad as I thought. I definitely thought everything would be twice as expensive as normal clothes (and ugly), but I found some nice shirts at Motherhood and they had some good sales.
    Stroller research though.. my eyes popped out of my head when I looked at the price of a good convertible stroller (UPPA baby Vista, I think..) $1300? That's insane! I can't imagine how much worse these things would/could get with all the trade wars currently going on.. 

• Options
    @ab_canada let us know how the baby box is!!

I also bought some things at motherhood. And honestly, my mom was in Florida so she did some shopping at motherhood there for me and for the most part the prices here were cheaper once we factored in exchange rate so that made me feel better!

Stroller prices on the other hand.. I wish I could make a trip to the states and justify bringing a bunch of stuff back. They are so expensive! I'm looking for a double and preferably one that can be double or single. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do. 

I'm also trying to decide if I need a winter coat. DS was due November 1 so I made due with sweaters and scarfs. But this time being due December 2 I'm worried about getting through the month of November. That said I wonder if it's worth buying a coat for one month?! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @kristah2 what about a Kokoala coat extension or something similar? They are good for babywearing, too. 
  • Options
    @kristah2

How long are you planning to stay at work? I don't want to buy a new winter coat and feel like I should be able to manage.. I plan to work until mid-November, so I feel like I can get away with thick sweaters (Calgary weather is so unpredictable anyway, that we might have beautiful weather until December, or it might drop to -30C. Those days I would just try to avoid going outside, I think! 

I haven't even thought about specifically going to the States for getting a stroller.. We were actually thinking of possibly going to Vegas for a long weekend in August - so that could be a great idea.

• Options
    @ay-eff

That Kokoala thing looks cool! I saw a coat at Motherhood that was specifically designed with a piece like that. It looked like it could work. The lady at the store said you still have to hold the baby or have a wrap underneath, though. I am not sure how feasible those would be with a coat over them.

• Options
    @ab_canada I didn't have the Kokoala for my first, but I know a couple of people who have used them and liked them. You could always try Kijiji or Facebook marketplace for a used one? 

For my February baby, I just used a larger coat (it was my Mum's). It was big enough that it accommodated my pregnant belly in November-February and then afterwards I was able to wear it over my ring sling and my Lillebaby carrier - I imagine that the coat extender would give me the same space. 
  • Options
    I was also thinking about making due with sweaters and then if it was really cold just wearing my jacket open. I’ll work until about a week before my section so probably until November 19 ish but even then I’ll just be going from the car to work and house. Not too bad. 
    @ay-eff I did that with a spring coat! I found one at a flea market from one of those places that do embroidery but we’re selling off samples with no embroidery for like $15 so I bought a medium instead of a small. It’s perfect for the fall or chilly summer evenings or rain. 

• Options
    ab_canadaab_canada member
    edited June 2018
    This is the Alberta baby box. The cutest are the little booties :)

• Options
    @ab_canada were there any good coupons?
  • Options
    @kristah2
    Not really.. the was a Telus raffle for a nest cam if you got their health app a 20% coupon for maternity clothes if you spend $75. That is all. I think they need a few more sponsors ;)

• Options
    Definitely!!

Where are all our other Canadian Moms?! I know there are more then 3 of us!

Have you guys told your employers yet?
  • Options
    @kristah2
    Oooh, good question. Yes, I told my boss and my team about a month ago. I was worried just a tiny bit that I would be involved less now that everyone knows, but that's not true at all! Everyone has been great and, aside from the conversation turning towards the pregnancy topic every once in a while, nothing has changed.

My boss was great about it. I told him I would love to come back to the team if there is an opportunity to do so. He said he can't really guarantee that because they will need to hire someone to replace me (not that I expected otherwise), but he would love to have me back if there is a way. 

Otherwise, I am trying not to worry about it too much. I have an idea of what areas in the business I would prefer to go back to, so hopefully there will be an opportunity in one of those teams when it's time for me to come back. I am planning to start meeting managers to put the bug in their ear a little later on (when it's more obvious I am pregnant) and probably around this time next year, since I know this is when budgets are set.

• Options
    That seems to have gone over really well @ab_canada!! Great news!!
    I have no idea what I plan to do with maternity leave. I haven't told my boss yet (he's not the most understanding). I don't know if I'm taking 12 or 18 months (probably 12 though because $$$). And I don't know what I plan to do after. I can't afford to stay home but if I come back here, with 2 kids I'll be working to pay daycare and making maybe $200 extra a month. 
  • Options
    @kristah2
    How long are you planning to wait? I'm sure that makes for a tough conversation if you're not expecting a great reaction.. I would have considered 18 months if I thought it made sense financially. And I haven't even tried thinking what I would do with two kids! $200 extra a month isn't exactly a lot of money, so I see your dilemma.. But I guess even a little extra is still extra? Or you could try to start your own business.. You might be able to make that amount on your own, and you would still be able to spend time with your children..

• Options
    @ab_canada I have no idea! This is number 2 so I am noticeably pregnant. Luckily my boss works from another office and I only work with 1 other person in here and she is aware. 
    $200 a month is definitely not a lot of money! But any little bit helps with bills and such. I'm toying with the idea of taking 1 or 2 other children into my home so I'll be making a lot less but also not paying for daycare. We will see. tough call! 
    Otherwise I just need a job that pays more money. 
  • Options
    @kristah2 - I was wondering the same thing! Maybe they’re all up at the cottage for the summer. That’s where I wish I was.

and @ab_canada that does sound really positive! I’m sure a bit of a relief, too.

I told my boss at about 8 weeks (same as with my first kiddo). I find planning for maternity leave pretty stressful, so telling her sooner rather than later takes a bit of pressure off. I’ll only be taking 12 months - partly for financial reasons, but also because they’re only legally required to hold my position for  a year. Though I’m sure they would have no problem with me taking 18 months.

I’m also planning to keep kiddo number one in daycare for the first month before switching him to part-time.

Unrelated, I’m really thankful for our healthcare. On the weekend I had two subchorionic hemorrhages. Went to the ER on Sunday night, they conducted an ultrasound, ran blood tests, booked me in for a comprehensive ultrasound on the Tuesday, then I followed up with my family doctor that same afternoon. She had all the results and reports. And I didn’t once think about how much anything was going to cost us. I know our healthcare system isn’t perfect, but I was very grateful for it this week. 
  • Options
    @ay-eff
    Oh, I am very sorry you had some issue on the weekend. Hopefully, those things heal pretty quickly.
    I love our healthcare system. Say what you will about wait-times, but in situations like these it's nice to know that you can go to a doctor without worrying if you can afford it. Or even going to a doctor in general for a check-up.

• Options
    I couldn't agree more @ab_canada and @ay_eff!! while our wait times are PAINFUL (I have about 3 weeks to get in with my family doctor and getting in for an u/s or something is near impossible!) But there is definitely something to be said about not having to worry about how we're going to pay for an emergency. Though I can't deny that sometimes I wish flashing some money would open up more options and faster times. 
  • Options
    I was so excited when I saw this check in! 

With this little, I'm only going to take 6 months off, basically for "academic" reasons. I took a year with my first, and it was absolutely delightful. I have a big exam to write at the end of maternity leave, but if I don't pass it, then I'll likely extend my leave to a year. I'm definitely feeling the guilt because its "not fair" for my second. I've definitely maintained a "studenty" vibe to my lifestyle, to make it all work financially.... but some day the littles won't need daycare anymore, and I won't be a trainee anymore, and then I'll work on the whole down-payment-for-a-house thing. 

I've got the same coat dilemma, but I think I'm going to just borrow one. I've seen some good options on Kijiji, but I just can't do -40 without a coat. 

@kristah2 I like your flexible plan! You may consider doing just 12 months of EI, and then "nothing" (aka home daycare) for the last 6 months, since it adds up to the same amount of money from EI, but there's some type of claw back if you earn more than a certain percentage. (I realize that is sooooo not specific, but maybe the math works out with more money in your pocket? I'm not sure)

@ay-eff  I completely agree with you about the universal health care. It sucks to wait, and the concierge service of being able to text or email your provider and get instant feedback sounds awesome some times, but when your sick, or just need to be assessed urgently, its great knowing that its financially covered. On the flip side, as a healthcare worker, I love being able to just order the tests that need to be done, rather than having to consider what the particular insurance may cover. 

@ab_canada Does your baby box double as a cot, like the Finnish ones? 
  • Options
    ab_canadaab_canada member
    edited June 2018
    @mirizzi&A
    Yes it does! We are likely getting a bassinet anyway, since i've heard enough feedback about how nice it is to be able to touch/check on/pick up baby when it's right beside your bed, but I think the mattress at the bottom of the box will be great to let baby lay down somewhere, since I know it's safe.

• Options

@ab_canada   You've inspired me! I've done the baby university course, and have signed up for my baby box!
  • Options
    @mirizzi&A
    Cool! It's not a whole lot, but it's fun getting stuff for baby :)

• Options
    Anyone know if the same amazon thing applies that does in the US where you get a free gift after an item is purchased from the registry? 
    Or know of any other cool Canadian freebies? 

I did sign up with enfamil last time and got SO many formula samples. I loved this because it was a comfort knowing if breast feeding didn't work I had some in the house as a back up.

Also if you have an EAP program at work give them a call and tell them you're expecting (don't worry, completely confidential from your employer!). They will send you what to expect when you're expecting and other resources. Near the end of your pregnancy they send you what to expect in the first years, resources and some toys for the baby. If you call back again near the end of first year they will send you what to expect in the second year + toys for baby then again send a toddler box with toddler games and so many cool toys!
  • Options
    @kristah2
    So there is a "registry" gift from Amazon, but it's only one item, from a list of things they decide.. So it isn't nearly as good. But the criteria is a lot easier to meet - have Prime, have the registry for some amount of time (can't remember), and have something purchased for >$20, I believe.

I was about to start researching about what we can get in Canada! I know Toys R Us gives a coupon if you start your registry with them. Sobeys pharmacy will give you some free stuff if you register with them (I think mostly a bottle of free prenatal vitamins, but we will need those for a while if breastfeeding). I will do some research and report back!

• Options
    Sign up for Nestle too! You get a pretty cool bag with a bunch of things in it!
    I just contacted Nestle and Enfamil to request another welcome kit now that I'm expecting number 2. 
    I love a good deal. 
  • Options
    Hi all! Haven't introduced myself yet, FTM here in Ontario - any other Ontarians on this board? I am currently finishing my B.Ed. and am on the supply teaching list for the Fall, so I am working frantically part-time to get my 600 hours before December to get some EI. I also teach piano lessons and ESL lessons (online to kids in China - if any of you need any part-time work and are interested in that job, let me know!) but unfortunately those jobs are both self-employed. I really want to stay home the whole year, but I think financially I will have to go back to work because hubby gets way better parental leave benefits at his job. So that situation is kind of stressful  but otherwise we are so excited! I have endometriosis so we were not expecting to get pregnant so quickly (just got married last November) but I guess we are just super lucky! 
  • Options
    Welcome @courtneyqdk
     I’m an Ontarian as well! Also congrats on getting on the supply list so quickly. I’ve heard it can be super competitive to get on those lists, especially right after graduation. Good luck hitting your hours requirement!! 

I’ve been on a bit of a posting hiatus so it’s been a while since I checked in. No real reason other than being busy at work and then feeling super tired afterward. 

Since my my last check in, I had my NT scan and NIPT, got the results back (all good in the hood!!), met with my OB for the first time, and had my EDD change again. Apparently my family doc office pushing my date out by 6 days was unnecessary so now I’m back to Dec 11. 

I signed up for a bunch of free stuff online all at once during a train ride home one day. I got the links from here: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/new-parents-freebies-baby-thread-1256187/

I have yet yet to receive anything beyond a coupon for free formula but I guess I’ll just wait and see!
  • Options
    @courtneyqdk
    Welcome!

@barristerninja
    That list is awesome! Exactly what I was hoping to find/make.

• Options
    Hi @courtneyqdk !
    I'm not an Ontarian anymore but I did live there for a few years while DH went to law school. We still travel back quite a bit since his family and some of our friends are still there.
    Do you make much money doing the ESL thing? I've thought about it.
    If I return to my job after mat leave I'm only going to be bringing in about 200 a month after daycare so I'm wondering if I can find something else to supplement and stay home.
    I've heard that pregnancy can have a very positive effect on endometriosis. I hope that is the case for you and that this will actually help your outcome! 

Thanks for the link @barristerninja
  • Options
    Thanks @barristerninja! I speak French so I have the magical golden ticket to teaching here. Also, loving the freebies thread!

@kristah2 - I have made different amounts depending on my schedule. I did it almost full time for awhile and made around $2000/month. Now, because of my school schedule, I only teach a couple hours a week and make a few hundred. It pays around $20/hr USD, so the amount depends on how the dollar is doing at the time they wire transfer you. (They pay once a month!) I think it would be easy to make $200, depending on how flexible your schedule is because peak hours are in the middle of the night. (6am-10am is most popular because of the time zone difference. When I was working "full time" I did 4am-10am) The neat thing is you work as much or as little as you want so if you want to work an hour a day you could. If you are interested check out this link: https://www.vipkidteachers.com/?refereeId=2577931&refersourceid=a01 and for full disclosure, I do get a $50 incentive for referrals! I am happy to talk you through the interviews if you do end up applying :)

The important thing to remember with self-employed income is it can hurt you at income tax time. You have to claim it all and then you can write off deductions (part of your rent/mortgage for use of your home office, any supplies you buy for teaching like whiteboard and markers, etc.) but I usually end up having to pay, rather than receiving a refund. Oh, and where did your DH go to law school? Mine went to the University of Windsor! I'm sure they don't know each other, but would be too funny if they did.

• Options
    @courtneyqdk thanks for the info on income! I know it can be super personal. I know you're actually a teacher so it's probably a breeze for you but how do you think it would be for someone with no actual teaching experience?
    For reference I do have a Bachelor of Recreation and Minor in Psychology and my focus was on child and youth development and program planning. 

French is definitely the golden ticket there! A close friend of mine came out of school there and went right into a full time K position because she was french! 

DH went to Ottawa U! Ottawa has a super special place in my heart after out time there! 
  • Options
    Happy Canada Day! 
  • Options
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Hi @kristah2, sorry for the late reply! Without knowing you personally it is hard to say - but what I can tell you is the hiring process is pretty rigorous and I have only had one friend pass, she had a theatre background and no professional teaching background. I *think* what they are looking for is someone who can turn on the intensity/engage the kids - think of any TVO or Treehouse children's performer. If you check out some VIPKID videos on YouTube I am sure you will get a sense of what I mean! If you think you can pull off that kind of energy level/intensity then I think anyone can do it! I def need a coffee before teaching these classes lol
  • Options
    This might be the same list as posted before, but it was just updated a few days ago. List of freebies for Canadian moms:

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/new-parents-freebies-baby-thread-1256187/

• Options
    Found another website that lists a bunch of freebies:
    https://seasidesundays.com/baby-freebies-canadians/

This one provides a code to use on a bunch of websites to get free products (but it wouldn't cover shipping - so  it's your choice if it's worth paying for shipping for those products).

• Options
    thanks @ab_canada! Do you know if insurance here actually covers all or a portion of breast pumps?
    I've heard of it in the US but wasn't sure here since our health care is a little different.
    I do have personal insurance but never noticed if it said anything about pumps.
  • Options
    @kristah2
    I know insurance at our work supposedly covers it, although I don't know how much and what kind yet. So I would say contacting the insurance company is a good idea..

• Options
    Oh Interesting! I'll have to get H to look into it since it's his insurance. We're with sunlife so I have no idea what's covered. Thanks!