December 2018 Moms

Weekly Randoms 8/13-8/17

Re: Weekly Randoms 8/13-8/17

• katy0990katy0990 member
    edited August 2018
    I am not sure where the best place to post this would be, but I just finished my A/S and baby has mild urinary tract dilation? I guess it is common and typically resolved on its own. Does anyone have any experience with this?
  • @katy0990 I don't but I put out some feelers in my last BMB to see if anyone has in the past.
    It sounds like they were unconcerned?
  • Loading the player...
  • @Jens_Hoes Thank you! They were very reassuring. It just bothers me to wait for 12 weeks, especially if something is wrong.
  • I just looked up prices for newborn photo shoots - $600? Some over $1000?  :o And they come with only 25 edited images? Am I crazy to think that's a lot?
    Do I bite the bullet because those are nice memories, or do I try doing it on my own? We have a DSLR camera, and while those outfits are pretty cute, I am pretty sure I can put a flowery headband and wrap by baby in a scarf myself...
    Anyone have an opinion? 

• @ab_canada I think that sounds a little high to me. I can’t remember how much we paid, but I know we paid $500 for just our printed album (which included a mix of our maternity and newborn pics). Photography is just so expensive! I think @gorgeousariel is a newborn photographer. She’d probably give some good feedback!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• @katy0990 a few women said they've dealt with mild kidney dilation. One said two of her children had swelling in the kidneys because of urine backup, and one of her children's resolved at 36 weeks gestation, and the other resolved shortly after birth (which was confirmed by U/S). 
    Another said her daughter's was resolved by birth, but she is followed by a pediatric urologist due to her other issues (kidney duplication & ureteroceles)
    A third said her son's didn't resolve until about 6 months after birth, but still resolved on his own and only required two ultrasounds after birth.

Sounds like it is relatively common, and not a big deal (in the grand scheme of things).

@ab_canada I wouldn't pay that.  My SIL does photography on the side, and she did newborn pics of my daughter at about 1 week old.  I hate those pictures. She looks weird, and I just don't think she looks like her.  I'm super thankful my SIL did it for free, but I'm so glad I didn't pay money for them.
  • I feel like that is normal these days. People have majorly jacked up their prices for newborn photos. The people I have issues going to are those who you have given a ton of business to, they did my kids 1st bday (their first photo session like this) and when I came back as a repeat customer each year went up 200k. Out of principal I can't use them.

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• @ab_canada Where in Canada are you?

*Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• hoosiermama-2hoosiermama-2 member
    edited August 2018
    @ab_canada Whoa! That seems like a lot to me, but I can't speak to Canadian prices.

...buuuut I just looked back in my Mint account and I think we paid $200 for our newborn session. (But maybe $250–there's another $50 charge that I suspect was my deposit.) I didn't leave clear notes :tired_face: 
    My maternity session was $80 for a mini-session (30 minutes) but she definitely shot closer to 45 minutes/an hour. 

Thanks for the reminder to get on with scheduling some fall family photos! I think I'll ask for a couple of solo pictures of bump shots, but I don't think I'll do a dedicated maternity session this time. Sorry, LO. Second child syndrome is real already. :worried:
  • @ab_canada that definitely sounds high! I have ours booked for $250 we get a 3 hour session and 40 edited images with digital download. Each kid I've had a different photographer because the one before goes WAY up in price. I look for photographers starting their business, trying to get her name out there, you can still get some good pictures for way less than the known photographers. However, when you go back to use them it's possible their fees have sky rocketed. I usually find them through friends liking different photographers on facebook. 
  • katy0990katy0990 member
    edited August 2018
    @Jens_Hoes Thank you! I really appreciate the information. We went through a hellish experience with my anatomy ultrasound with DS. He had multiple markers for downs, and none of the testing came back completely conclusive, so the rest of my pregnancy was extremely stressful. So, today, when I got this information on this LO, it brought all of that back. Thankfully, DS is completely healthy, but In a way I feel like I already had my one freebie scare and I hope this time the baby doesn’t have any issues.
    @ab_canada  we had my sons newborn photos done by the hospital Photographer. We paid $180 for the rights to all 15-20 of the images. For this baby, we will use our family photographer, who I found on FB a couple years ago. She charges $80/session and sends me all images.
  • @texas_t In Calgary, which is a big enough city to have lots of expensive things, but not so big to attract competition to make things a bit cheaper (at least that's how it feels).
    @hoosiermama-2 I would gladly pay $250. I was thinking I am willing to splurge ~$300, so these prices just caught me off guard. 
    @snugglyduckling25 I think that's the way to go - get someone who is still starting out but is hopefully good enough already to get some good shots.
    @gorgeousariel Thanks, that's sweet of you! I think my sister would be pretty comfortable with manual mode. She isn't a photographer, but she is an artist and uses a DSLR for her work. Maybe I will ask her if she would feel comfortable taking them. In the end, I guess I would be willing to pay the money because these are pictures to last a lifetime.

• @ab_canada I'm actually flying a photog friend from my DS1's bump group who lives in Canada to Dallas for newborn pics! She's amazing but lives near Alberta  :/  We paid $450 for DS1's newborn pics, btw
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• I forgot to add the the $450 was newborn and 6 month photos.  It was a bonus package.
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• @katy0990 my friends daughter had an almost complete closure plus other kidney issues I believe the tube resolved a few months after birth.  No medical attention needed until this year for the other issues, she is ten.  They had a procedure to help relieve stress to the kidney.  They were very happy with the results and said  it will always need checked, she recovered super fast and is your typical active kid!! It sounded like your doctor said it was a mild case?  Scary to hear no matter what.  I would hope for the best that is resolves before you meet baby!!

Re: new born pictures
    I wouldn’t be able to spend that much but I do believe you get what you pay for.  My family photographer is very inexpensive for her time (newborn was 3 hours, lots of breaks for nursing, diapers, etc.) but you have to buy the prints from her.  So I always tell my DH it’s only 150.00 and keep the receipt for the pictures separate!  We use an other photographer for Christmas photos because it’s a mini with digital images, it’s 150.00 as well, 30 minutes, 10-15 pics.   Printing myself I usually still end up spending in the 150.00 - 200.00 range.  (We do an ornament for all of the families in our family instead of a card)
  • @texas_t Does she have a website? $450 USD is probably around $600 CAD, so that sounds about the same as some of the others I found.

• @ab_canadahttps://www.ashleyhempelphoto.com/  There ya go! She has a ton of recent ones on her facebook as well!
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• @maureenmce I know a few people who have had a pet skunk.  That cracks me up!!  It’s a very odd choice of a pet. 
  • @LLynde5 Thanks for the info! Yes, it is considered mild, at this point. Typical is less than 4. My LO measured 4.6 and 5.3.
  • @ab_canada being in canada $600 is about the going rate for someone with a good reputation and a lot of experience. 

I put some feelers out on a local parents group and got some recommendations of more “amateur” photographer. I looked at all given, gathered prices and looked at their photos. The one I’ve booked is about $300 and she’s going to come into our home. 

Id suggest reaching out for suggestions and getting someone newer but who take photos you like.

the original photographer I picked was about $1200!!! Then I found a lady starting out and the photos were beautiful!! She’s now charging a lot more but also moved away so I had to find a new one for this baby. 
  • My husband and I made significant progress on the nursery this weekend and we started talking about all sorts of future-related stuff. He said a couple things that made me feel like he has some gender disappointment. We're both thrilled to have a boy and know that we are going to love this little guy SO MUCH, but he really wants a girl. As silly as it seems, I feel kind of bad that I couldn't give him a little girl and that I have no control over something like that. We're planning on having two so there's still a chance for the next one, but I just know that he loves little girls so much. That sounds creepy, but I promise it isn't. Girls under 18 and he just get along really well. I call it his "target demographic." Mine is men in their 40s lol. They adore him and hang off every word he says. Anyway, I just am feeling a little sad today that we're having a boy even though I'm so crazy thrilled for this little baby in my belly.
    Pregnancy TickerSaveSave
  • @binxybaby Sorry your H has a touch of the disappointment! I think mine is still surprised about our boy, I’m extra excited because I didn’t want a girl. We don’t really talk about anything gendered though, so we might as well really be Team Surprise like our families think we are :grimace:

Re: Photography
    I usually pay about ~$200 USD for a few shots, we just use them for low res holiday cards. I often choose student photographers if I like their portfolio diversity. I see too many portfolios that look the same. And same makes me sad. I need to email a gal today actually, I’m trying to book a little shoot when the leaves start changing, but I don’t know what weekend to pick, ack!
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • @gorgeousariel I agree you need to do your homework but you can definitely go with someone who is considered starting out who still has an extensive portfolio with newborns and kids of their own! 
    Homework is key ! 
  • @binxybaby Aw, FWIW, DH and I were both hoping for another girl. Of course, we're grateful for this baby boy but just a reminder that the tinge of disappointment is common. :smile: 

Yay for nursey progress! I did a lot of online browsing this weekend for LO's dresser. Phew. Dresser shopping sucks. 
  • KatzaliaKatzalia member
    edited August 2018
    @tumbleweed-1 welcome back! How’s the new job? 

Reading this thread I have mild guilt that I haven’t even considered photos yet. We didn’t last time, just had my mom take some with her DSLR (she does a lot of photography) and they turned out well. There are so many things to do and I’m drowning in work and can’t even bring myself to add anything else to the list.

edited because I misread
  • @tumbleweed-1 Welcome back! How is the new job going?
  • Heyyyyy @tumbleweed-1! Can't wait to hear about the job. 

@Katzalia ditto on not thinking about photos. I mean they're cute, but I doubt we'll get them. Maybe a family photo for a birth announcement or a happy New Year card.... 
  • Welcome back @tumbleweed-1 !

@morgantu I've been thinking about doing a baby announcement/holiday card/newborn photography combo thing. But I probably need to move from "thinking about it" to actually figuring out the details and how that would all work, at some point, haha.
  • @maureenmce lol, true. I have been stalling on everything that 'seems' far away, including getting photos and baby shower stuff. My friend who offered to host just gave me a sit down over the weekend to make me pick date/venue/ etc. I'm just wishy washy about even wanting that stuff so I think Im just hoping it goes away lol
  • @PensiveCrayon I was really hesitant to look at any of the days of labor/birth/c-section photos, too. Then, DS and I were talking about where the baby will be born, so I pulled them out to show him and I actually enjoyed showing him.