July 2018 Moms

Baby sleep thread

Re: Baby sleep thread

• @limoncat my LO is 4.5 weeks and still confused about day and night. Although it has gotten better, we still have a long way to go
  • @limoncat Our ped gave us the advice to rub baby's sternum every 30 mins during the day so he doesn't go into that deep REM sleep. It only took a few days of doing that plus keeping it noisy and light during day naps and dark and quiet at night. Hope your LO gets his days and nights right soon!
  • Loading the player...
  • Does anyone swaddle for day time naps? I was trying not to, only swaddling at night to try and associate night time/bed time and swaddles, but LO has been so fussy during the day and won’t nap longer than 45 mins. Then she’s awake and crying until I feed again. DH came home and took over as I was spent and couldn’t handle, we could tell she was tired but wasn’t sleeping...so he swaddled her up and she’s been passed out for over and hour. Thinking she might need to be swaddled for a few day time naps if she just won’t settle
    TTC History:
    Me: 36 H: 40 Married 2015. Together since 2010.
    TTC: Sept 2016-Oct 2017
    BFP Oct 2017. DD born July 2018.
    TTC: March 2020. BFP March 2020
    Due date was Nov 2020
    DS born Sept 2020. DS passed away Nov 2020 due to prematurity and birth trauma.
    TTC: March 2021
    IUI #1 Nov 2021, BFN
    IUI #2 Dec 2021 BFP.  MC Jan 2022
    IUI #3 Aug 2022 BFN
    IUI #4 Sept 2022 BFN
    AMH test came back at .081. Was going to move on to IVF with DE, but have decided not to. Will be leaving it up to the universe now.

• @rachelsogo I swaddle during the day if he is being fussy! 
    Me: 31 DH: 34 :heart: Married: April 2016
    TTC December 2016
    BFP 2/28/17 // CP 3/1/17
    MFI Diagnosis: Aug 2017
    BFP 11/1/17 // DS born 6/18
    TTC January 2019
    BFP 3/21/19 // D&C (MMC) 5/8/19
  • @rachelsogo we don't swaddle during the day but my DH tends to swaddle him to calm him down! Sometimes it works but most times it's temporary. However my LO doesn't care about swaddling in general so for us it's hit or miss :)
  • @rachelsogo not a bad idea! With my first I would swaddle her for naps when they were the predictable ones (when she was older). Definitely go for it if that works. I don’t think it will confuse her in terms of day vs night
  • @rkk0002 I will try that, thank you!
  • So baby wins- for now. We tried to do straight crib at night but as soon as we lay her down she wakes up. She sleeps well I. The RNP or when held. I won’t hold her all night so we put the RNP in her room and are letting her sleep in it. We will see how tonight goes. 
  • @rachelsogo we swaddle with A+A blankets during the day and use SwaddleMe sacks at night (and will switch to Halo SwaddleSacks when she’s big enough! Did the same with my twins and they are fabulous sleepers (hopefully DD will be too!)
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Has anyone tried the nested bean swaddle?
  • I swaddle with the swaddle me at nighttime, but I leave babies arms out. Our ped told us that babies have no control of their arm movements, but my LO has been sleeping with his hand next to his face since he was in my belly. Seriously we could never get a picture of his face because his hand was always covering it. At night he started grunting and trying to hulk out of it. But I wanted to keep it on him so I swaddle him with his arms out. For him it’s worked like a charm.

@elizabethrn87 my LO sleeps in the RNP during the day. 

Also random possibly helpful tip: we have the a/c going set to 70 and LO would wake up with cold hands/feet. So I started adding an extra layer of clothing. I honestly think he sleeps longer and better that way. 
  • @catftm2018 i agree on the extra layer of clothes! We also swaddle with arms out and noticed he sleeps better with a full pj onesie instead of naked or shirt. 
  • Hmm I’ve been thinking Maybe I should try footie PJs and skip the swaddle or swaddle arms out. With my first the only way we finally got him to sleep at night was to swaddle tightly arms in with the miracle swaddle. We’ve been using that since day 1 this time and sometimes I wonder if it makes it worse. He’s so gassy and not being able to move his arms and legs keeps the gas trapped. 
  • We use the Halo sleep sack start with arms in until he's asleep and the adjust with arms out and he'll sleep for a few hours. We're still only getting 3-4hour stretches at night. During the day he's just in a onesie and socks because otherwise he just sweats. 
  • I have my ac set to 68° and run my fan at night because i cannot sleep when I'm hot and night sweats have calmed down but i still get them. I get cold sometimes at night so I have always put DD in warm footed pjs at night and we have quit swaddling all together. She liked it but I found she sleeps better and longer stretches when shes not swaddled. She is a wiggle worm and moves a lot in her sleep so I think that's why being free from the swaddle is better for her.
  • I have a huge fear of LO being to cold since DD was hospitalized for dropping her temp just 24 hours after coming home. So LO always has on an under onsie - a footed sleeper - swaddle @ night. During day she has a blanket instead of swaddle because she is right with us.
  • Our AC isn't terribly efficient, so our house is always on the warmer side (~76°) in the summer.  For this reason, LO spends most of his day in just his diaper, and at night we swaddle him naked in a muslin A&A blanket.  If anything, I get nervous about him overheating, but he seems to be fine.  One benefit is less laundry!

I also go back and forth a lot on whether to swaddle him with arms out or in.  He loves having them near his face, but we've been swaddling them down at his sides since day 1 since that's how the nurses showed us how to do it in the hospital, and he's been sleeping pretty well like that so I probably shouldn't second guess it.
  • Fleece footie PJs, swaddles & white noise are this kids kryptonite. She wakes up way more if she’s not in fleece, and she’ll sometimes even put herself to sleep if I put her down drowsy if the white noise is on! Our room isn’t cold, the AC is set to 22C (71F) but she just loooove to be warm. Hopefully she’ll fit our Halo SwaddleSacks soon since they’re fleece and I only have so many pairs of fleece PJs lol
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @perhapsitalian our AC isn't very efficient either so we mostly have naked diaper baby during the day. He's also a heat monster so I'm always worried about him overheating anyways.
  • We do footie PJs and a swaddle at night. He sleeps better warm and we keep the AC between 68-70.  During the day it varies what he wears but usually he has a blanket.
    Me: 31 DH: 34 :heart: Married: April 2016
    TTC December 2016
    BFP 2/28/17 // CP 3/1/17
    MFI Diagnosis: Aug 2017
    BFP 11/1/17 // DS born 6/18
    TTC January 2019
    BFP 3/21/19 // D&C (MMC) 5/8/19
  • Lo hates being swaddled. She has to have her feet and legs loose. So we have her in a long sleeve onsie that has the fold over for her hands and a sleep sack at night. If we think she is getting cold, we put a muslim blanket on her lower half. This has helped tremendously with longer sleeps. Also, we've been playing her classical music for babies at a low volume or the sound machine (ocean) at night. Major game changers! During the day, she is in a onsie and muslim lightly wrapped over her because she is usually on my chest for naps. 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• It’s 8 pm and I’m dreading bed time. Mainly because it just starts out hours of fussy/wide awake/nursing baby. We are trying gas drops tonight even though she doesn’t really seem gassy.. I don’t know. I’m grasping at straws at this point. 

Kylie M.

Baby #1 Born 12.16.2015

Baby #2 Due 7.13.2018

• We use a zipper swaddle at night (either woombie or swaddleme) and he’s in cotton/terry footed pajamas. Our AC isn’t great so his room varies from like 70-74. But he’s never sweaty or cold when I pick him up so guess he’s good? During the day he’s usually in a short sleeve onesie and pants. We don’t swaddle during the day unless he’s super fussy
  • Now I'm wondering if DS is cold? Our AC isn't great either and the lowest temp it gets the room is 74-75. We don't even keep it on all night and I usually turn it back on while I nurse. I don't even own a footie PJ since it's like 78 in the house during the day. Even with the Snoo sack which is light weight, a long sleeve footed pj seems an overkill, but perhaps worth a try? He's usually in a short sleeve onesie or even a tank top onesie during the day and at night I put him in the Snoo sack with a short sleeve onesie. Wondering...

So lately it's a 5-6 hour stretch since 8pm/9pm, but then it's unpredictable. Two nights ago he woke at 230am, nursed, took a bit to go back to sleep but then slept 4am-730am. Last night...well, he did the same, except he was up at 5am wanting to nurse again...and again...and again...and aside from 1 hr 7-8am, we we're cluster feeding until noon. See rant in randoms...I'm exhausted and discouraged today.
  • LO went a solid 7 hour stretch last night before waking to eat!! In that time I woke at least once thinking surely she had to be waking up hungry any moment. After she finally ate it took me about an hour to go back to sleep because my body didnt know what to do with a sleep stretch that long lol seriously hoping this is the start of a new cycle
  • After a few nights of LO hanging to be woken at Hour 3 to eat, the dr gave us the green light to let her sleep as much as she’d like overnight. LOvwanted to make sure she had us in check and woke up on her own at hour 3 though. 

I do do worry about her temperature at night but it’s hard to compare since I’m running hot. I keep house at 75, ceiling   fan on high plus we have a plug in fan in bedroom and she’s in a s/s onesies and a+a swaddle. She seems cool when i put her down but is warm when i get her up, but then again, she is fussy and may have worked herself to that point.

LO was born with a Caput Succedaneum and dr at 2 wk visit didn’t think it has gone down much so we have a head ultrasound today. Holy nerves. 
  • @wildtot I did the same at her 4am nursing. It took her almost 2 hours to go back down after her midnight feeding, that when she fell right asleep after 4am I just put her down. 
    TTC History:
    Me: 36 H: 40 Married 2015. Together since 2010.
    TTC: Sept 2016-Oct 2017
    BFP Oct 2017. DD born July 2018.
    TTC: March 2020. BFP March 2020
    Due date was Nov 2020
    DS born Sept 2020. DS passed away Nov 2020 due to prematurity and birth trauma.
    TTC: March 2021
    IUI #1 Nov 2021, BFN
    IUI #2 Dec 2021 BFP.  MC Jan 2022
    IUI #3 Aug 2022 BFN
    IUI #4 Sept 2022 BFN
    AMH test came back at .081. Was going to move on to IVF with DE, but have decided not to. Will be leaving it up to the universe now.

• @rachelsogo yeah might start doing that more often when i can. I know eventually he’ll stop nursing at night and won’t want to wake to just change him unless it’s a real must. 
  • @wildtot I can’t wait until the motn poops stop! She will be in a deep sleep and then will let out a huge wet fart! Sigh 
  • For the last 2 nights, LO's first sleep stretch has been 5.5 hours.  I hope that continues!  But last night the 2nd stretch was only 2 hours and after that he was super noisy - sleeping, but kept grunting and just being noisy.  So he kept waking me up.  So we walked to the coffee shop this morning to get a latte instead of making coffee at home! 

We've been doing just a diaper and SwaddleMe, but I added a short sleeved shirt last night because he was getting a rash on the underside of his arms from them being pressed against his chest without fabric (at least that's what I think it's from!?!?).  Like I said, he slept worse last night so I'll try again but we'll see.

@rachelsogo - you could also try to baby wear for a day nap or two.  I'm doing that now - I think it gives him the same swaddle feeling,  but without actually being swaddled.  
  • morethanamamamorethanamama member
    edited August 2018
    Baby slept so much last night, poor babe was a TROOPER on our trip to the airport and back. Took a bottle like there's no tomorrow at 8pm, fell asleep, we transferred him to the crib and he slept until 130am! I just wish DH were smart enough to go to bed at 930 not 1130...

He nursed at 130 and we both fell asleep right after, lol, DH woke me up.it was roughly 3am. Then LO woke up at 530...nursed fine... didn't go to sleep until 1030am. He did 2 rounds of nursing and a bottle in 5 hrs. He is still asleep now at 130pm but I'll wake him soon. No time for me to nap so I'm dead woman walking.
  • Wow, that's a really long awake period, @kissableviv! Is that normal for him? Hope you get a nap!
  • LO let us sleep for 6 freaking hours last night! It was amazing, until I realized how bad my boobs hurt because i didn't do my MOTN pump. 
  • Re-read this entire thread to give me hope that more sleep is attainable!

We were doing a 4 hour and 3 hour stretch the past couple of days, but last night was only 2 hour stretches! Hoping her regression was only a fluke because now that I’ve had a 4 hour stretch my body is resisting the 2 hours. Haha I don’t think it was a growth spurt because if anything she was eating less, unless she’s becoming more efficient? Newborn babies are so tricky to read sometimes! 
  • @natalie_1989 it could be she’s more efficient or comfort nursing.
    My lo will comfort nurse in order to fall back asleep. We had a bad storm a few nights ago and he kept waking up wanting to nurse. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • @AlwaysMrsS After a day of almost nonstop being on boob I think a combo of growth spurt and comfort! 
  • @natalie_1989 I was going to say it sounds like comfort nursing to me as well. My daughter comfort nurses way more during a growth spurt, you could try to offer the paci as a replacement unless you are fine with her nursing for comfort. I normally will only offer paci if I am out and about or need to do something like cook, and nurse if I'm home. 
  • Hooray for the previous day of comfort nursing for the growth spurt because she did her first 5 hour stretch last night! It must wipe them out to grow so much! I’m a very well rested mama.