July 2018 Moms
Options

Baby sleep thread

I can't gif...

I know we'll need one of these soon as some of our babies start getting into regular patterns of sleep... Or not!

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!

Re: Baby sleep thread

• Options
    Yes!  I need this thread so bad.  LO cluster feeds at night, not in the evening like all the resources say. Last night he was up every hour or less from 11pm-6am. He eats a little then falls asleep on the boob and can’t be woken to keep eating. So I put him back in the bassinet and he’s up again so soon. I got literally like 3 periods of 20 minutes of sleep until I made DH take him at 6. I am definitely producing enough as I have an oversupply problem, he just refuses to eat a sufficient amount at night. Then he sleeps 3-5+ hour stretches all day long.  We’ve tried the keep it light during the day and dark at night but nothing is working. LO is just about 2 weeks old. Any one have any ideas how to shift him?
  • Options
    @moguippy how does he do during the day with eating? If he’s not already, is it possible to cluster feed him during the day instead? I had to do this with my LO. I have to keep waking her to feed her. 

As much as I try to keep her awake during the day it’s not easy to do. She ends up getting pretty fussy like around 10/11p after the last feed and is awake until 1ish. It was much easier correcting my first with the day/night reversal. This one not so much! Any ideas how to help with this?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    A very good friend of mine had her first DD who cluster fed at night vs during the day as well. Her midwife advised her to wake during the day every 2 hours and feed and after about a week-week and a half of doing that her DD was sleeping 6 hour stretches at night. She said it was hard to wake during the day but she would do things like strip baby down to only a diaper, tickle feet, mess with them etc. 
  • Options
    I’ve had to wake my LO since he was born for daytime feedings. Every 2 1/2 -3 hrs. Sometimes I take off his clothes, tickle his toes, and tickle his shoulder to get him to wake up enough to latch. If he falls asleep so much that he is no longer latching, I burp him and do skin to skin. That usually helps keep him interested enough in eating. 

As as far as sleep- I can use all the tips lol I never got to the sleep chapters of the baby books since my LO came 3 weeks early!
  • Options
    We are sleeping great at night in 4 hr stretches. Hope it lasts but not holding my breath!
  • Options
    @moguippy hugs that sounds like pure hell! I have the same issue with long naps during the day but short sleep stretches at night. Cluster feeding yesterday did give me 2 3-3.5 hour stretches so Im hoping and praying the same is true tonight. 

Also I legitimately want to hurt everyone who is still doing fireworks.... we had them on wednesday from the city which by the who the eff thinks wednesday is a good day for city fireworks?! and than tonight and tomorrow from another town we border.
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    Night two with our little girl and nursing her is SO FAR totally opposite of her brother lol She is also cluster feeding all night and sleeping during the day. So far I’ve been trying everything I can to get her to feed more during the day but no luck. I shall keep trying. It also seems like my son has decided to stop nursing now. He’s only nursed once since the baby was born. I’m not saying he’s totally done yet, because it’s only day two with her but we will see when we get home if he still wants nothing to do with it lol Keep it up, Mommas! We got this! 

Kylie M.

Baby #1 Born 12.16.2015

Baby #2 Due 7.13.2018

• Options
    LO was cluster feeding in the evening and gave me like 4 to 5 hour stretches at night, but that has ended. Honestly, I think it's all the f*cling visitors we've had that just want to hold him! I appreciate that people want to visit, but it's so hard to keep a schedule that way. Last night we were up every 1.5 hours. I am working on his latch (particularly on the left) and it's just so painful. The right has a little white spot that I am not sure is  normal or thrush or what, but no other symptoms. He DOES have a diaper rash but I think it's from the constant sharts. 

This is my third and this sh*t is hard. Hang in there mamas, I agree with the advice from PP but my word is sh*t at this point since it's not working for me.
    Met: 1/21/2005
    Married: 6/27/2008
    DS: 3/14/2010 Planned, PG first try
    M/C 6/2012
    DD: 4/22/2013 Planned, UnDx Infertility, PG on our own
    BFP: 10/28/2016 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE! 
    M/C 12/12/2016
    BFP: 10/27/2017 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE
    EDD: 7/2/2018

Babysizer Manly Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @WorkinWeezel Sounds like you have a clog. That one spot might be dried milk trapped under a thin layer of skin. There are many things you can do to get that milk duct going again....nursing in different positions, warm compresses, rubbing it with a cloth, and worse case sterilized needle to dislodge it. I clogged all the time with DS but once you get rid of it, you have instant relief. 
  • Options
    @WorkinWeezel What @chaser61 said. I would get milk blebs often when BF DD and it was always so painful! If you're dealing with a poor latch, it can definitely contribute to clogged ducts and milk blebs. Correcting the latch and nursing in different positions so ducts are completely emptied can help prevent recurrence. Here's so good info on milk blebs (Kellymom.com is a great resource online for BF and pumping information):
    https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipplebleb/
  • Options
    @chaser61 and @TalesOfASocialIntrovert thank you! I emailed LLL and then a friend that is a L&D/Maternity and NICU nurse was here today and helped me out. It's definitely getting better. She also checked his diaper rash and gave some advice  so thankful for you girls and for knowledgable friends!!!! 
    Met: 1/21/2005
    Married: 6/27/2008
    DS: 3/14/2010 Planned, PG first try
    M/C 6/2012
    DD: 4/22/2013 Planned, UnDx Infertility, PG on our own
    BFP: 10/28/2016 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE! 
    M/C 12/12/2016
    BFP: 10/27/2017 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE
    EDD: 7/2/2018

Babysizer Manly Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @moguippy that is exactly what my lo is doing right now. Granted he’s only 4 days old but he won’t give us more than an hour stretch of sleep during the night from about 10:30pm-5/6am. When we try and place him in his bassinet he won’t last more than 10 min. I think he hates it and we need to figure out how to get him to start liking it. Anyone have ideas?

Visitors are also throwing us off @WorkinWeezel. I wasn’t able to get a nap in during the day and by the time I was able to get one in, it was already too late since we entered his cluster feeding time. I was so tired and nauseous, I almost vomited. Luckily my mom stayed until 1:30am so we could get some shut eye. 
  • Options
    emsnedemsned member
    @krystlerr  that’s so nice of your mom to stay late so you can get some rest! 
    @WorkinWeezel You’re right this Sh*t is hard. This is my second anc I tried to mentally prepare myself for the first month because I remember it being so difficult, but there’s not really anyway to prepare for the exhaustion and pain and frustration if you’re getting no sleep. We just gotta remember that this is very temporary and we will eventually sleep again! I started to feel a little like “this is so unfair” because everyone in this house sleeps 8+ hours except for me. But then I come on here and remember that every single mom goes through this and it will get better. 
  • Options
    @krystlerr my first didn’t like the bassinet either- I think because it was too flat and open for a newborn when they like to be snug. Maybe you could try to put some sort of insert in the bassinet? We found one online that can go in car seats, bassinets, etc. We used it in our pack n play bassinet attachment and that seemed much more comfortable for the baby. Eventually we transitioned her to the halo bassinest without the insert and it worked out.

I too try to remind myself that this no sleep stuff is temporary and that LO won’t be a newborn forever! Sometimes when I’m stressed and exhausted it feels like this is my new life now for the rest of time lol so talking myself down has been helpful! 
  • Options
    @emsnedds agreed! I don’t know what I’d do without my mom during this time. 

@julianne0 we have the halo bassinet with the newborn hammock type insert but you’re right I think it’s just too flat for him even though the insert helps make it a little bit snugger. He only seems to like lounging in the newborn Boppy lounger but I don’t leave him there for bed time so it’s been skin to skin with pillows all around for the time being. Hoping we can work on the bassinet training. 
  • Options
    @krystlerr I also have a halo bassinet & baby girl isn’t a big fan. I bought the newborn insert when she was a couple of days old and it maybe helps a little, but she still doesn’t sleep more than 2 hrs at a time, and I hate how the newborn insert mesh is not see-through! I don’t have any other options right now other than a rock & play, so I am hoping she will get used to it soon!
  • Options
    We’re also in the baby doesn’t like the bassinet club. So frustrating 
  • Options
    My baby won't fit in the newborn lounger lol. I actually find it so useless for us due to size, I wanted to use it just for that, lounging, but I ended up getting something more similar to a dock a tot from Etsy. He is too small for the rock and play/doesn't like it (haven't figured which one it is) and I wanted something for him to be in while he is quiet but not necessarily sleeping and we're either eating or hanging out, so not for overnight sleeping. I feel super lucky that he loves the Snoo and sleeps great at night though.

@ckmb_knottie do you swaddle+use the bassinet insert?
  • Options
    nimmlenimmle member
    Man all of this is making me hope that the LO is ok with the pack n play bassinet when he gets here.
  • Options
    My baby isn’t a fan of the halo either. Neither was my first so I’m not surprised. We also have the infant insert for it and it seems to help a little compared to how much my first hated it, but he will only sleep for an hour at a time in it. But I kind of feel like he wouldn’t sleep more than an hour at night anyway since he’s still got days and nights mixed up. I alternate between bed sharing/side lying nursing and the bassinet at night. Basically if I’m too exhausted to feel safe nursing sitting up, I bed share for a couple hours until I feel capable of sitting up. It’s getting me at least a little sleep so I’ll keep doing it for now. Hoping he sleeps a few hours at a time in the bassinet eventually. 
  • Options
    @nimmle Bella is in the PnP and does just fine 

I use the halo for nighttime only just becahse she already tries to roll on her side and the bulk helps stop her since she cant roll back yet. I also keep the side flaps fastened loosely since she likes to have her arms up and out or by her face.

I am starting to wonder if I am letting her sleep too much during the day. she will definitely take long naps but nothing over 4 hours since I change her or she wants to eat. she was more sleepy this evening but I gave her, her first bath which she seemed to like so i wonder if that made her sleepy? hoping she still sleeps well tonight though 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    @kissableviv  yeah I have been using a sleep sack to swaddle her in the bassinet. So then when I do need to change her diaper overnight, she’s wide awake due to the Velcro, etc. I am just too scared to bed share / side lie so the bassinet was supposed to solve that problem since it basically slides on top of the bed and I can kind of spoon with it. Maybe I should try something like a dock a to get closer to co sleeping. 
  • Options
    @ckmb_knottie we have the snuggle nest co sleeper (you can buy on amazon) and its amazing. With my first I had a bassinet and never used it, we co slept because breastfeeding at night was so exhausting I usually did side lying feedings and would all sleep better with DS in bed with us. This time I vowed to try and do better (although we never had issues with transitioning DS.) I was afraid of the dock a tot because it's so plush with no breathable sides, I feel like with that I may as well co sleep since we would be posing the same risks. DD sleeps in the co sleeper but it is similar to a bassinet in the ways that it's open and flat. It has an insert that raises the head slightly but it's pretty flat still. Its worth a shot and if you see your baby doesnt care for it amazon is great about returns!
    @lindsayleigh1989 I've given DD 2 baths now and she gets super tired after and knocks out for a good 4 hour stretch at least. During the day I notice she has one stretch she likes to sleep about 4 hours also but I wake to change her and try to get in a feed around the 3 hour mark so she will save her stretch for night times. Since doing that and limiting her sleep stretches during the day to 3 hours max she goes about 6 hours at night between feeds.
  • Options
    @kbernal2021 I will check that out!
  • Options
    Woohoo Owen just gave me 2 hours in the bassinet! Baby steps. Hoping it’ll keep increasing since my milk came in. 
  • Options
    Omg. Yesterday Baby went down at 8pm after 5.5 hours of constant fussying and cluster feeding. Seriously almost lost my mind. Had a couple of crying sessions thinking breastfeeeding is so hard and I can't wait to start pumping. Kudos to all stms going through this and taking care of another child /children!

Of course he was angel baby during the night going long stretches, and going back to sleep immediately after nursing...
  • Options
    We tried a bottle for bedtime last night so i could have some wine. Well that didn’t go well. LO seems to do better about going to sleep if i nurse him. He’ll take a bottle any other time of the day. We didn’t get our usual 4-5 hrs last night  :(
  • Options
    Some of you might be getting to the witching hour phase. With DD it started around 3 weeks and went until around 6 weeks - daily she would cry, fuss and cluster feed from 5ish until 10ish. It was rough! We found the 5 S methods from Happiest Baby on the Block helped and so did bouncing her on my birth/stability ball.
  • Options
    @MichelleAG05 I think that's what it is. The good thing is he is sleeping well at night after being awake all that time! But I'm so done nursing so much... really close to start pumping thankfully!
  • Options
    Nathan also lulled us into a false sense of security. He spent his first ten days or so giving us 4-hour stretches at night and typically going back to sleep fairly willingly after nursing. Last night he was up every 2 hours, fought going back down each time, and has been uncharacteristically fussy today. It’s possible
    we let him sleep too long during the day. I may start waking him to feed every 2.5 hours during the day to see if that helps. 
  • Options
    This kid cluster feeds like it’s her job from like 5pm to midnight but she gave me two four hour stretches last night so I’ll take it!
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    For those of your having luck with good stretches of sleep, what do you have your LO sleeping in at night? Do you have them nap in it occasionally throughout the day? Mine was awake from 10pm to 6am last night and just doesn’t doesn’t seem to like flat surfaces and swaddles, but sleeps fine in her rock n play or being held during the daytime and I’m wondering if it’s simply the flat surface at night making her fussy.
  • Options
    My LO will sometimes sleep 4-6 hours in a stretch, but the last 2 nights have been tough. Last night we had 3.5 hours, then 1 hour stretches until he was wide awake at 6:30. He sleeps in the RnP at night, and in my arms, the Boppy pillow, or the KTan during the day. If I set him down fast asleep in his swing or pack n play, he'll wake 5 minutes later. 
  • Options
    @ckmb_knottie we use the Fisher Price Baby Dome for naps and the Graco TravelLite at night. She prefers to be held during the day and will only stay down for an hour or two tops but at night she goes 3-5h. 
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @ckmb_knottie we have a Snow bassinet, we got it for free as a benefit from DH's company.
    During the day, baby naps either in the stroller bassinet if we are all downstairs (he is tiny for the rock and play and he actually hasn't shown any interest in it) or if it's one of his longer naps (like, after some intense cluster feeding) I'll put him in the Snoo during the day as well with sunlight in the room and normal day time noise. In that case I set up the monitor. Also,  I don't swaddle him unless he is in the Snoo(it comes with its own swaddle sack) because he doesn't care for it and needs his hands close.

We have something similar to a dock a tot too, he's napped in there as well (supervised). I think he has slept in the Fisher Price swing maybe once.
  • Options
    @ckmb_knottie my baby still hasn’t slept more than 2.5-3 hours at night (usually it’s 2 hours tops), but he’ll sleep up to 3 hours during the day. I don’t think he’s ever slept more than 3 hours for me. But I don’t really attribute his frequent waking at night to where he’s sleeping. I think he has days and nights mixed up so he sleeps better during the day. At night he’s in the halo bassinet with the infant insert, or in bed with me (following the safety guidelines for bed sharing), and during the day he’s in either the rock n play or dock a tot (supervised), or someone’s arms, or the k’tan. He might sleep a little better in the rock n play but I think it has more to do with time of day. And I am paranoid about letting him sleep in the rock n play unsupervised so I haven’t tried that overnight. 
  • Options
    DD is sleeping 4-6 hour stretches at night and sleeps in a cosleeper in our bed. During the day she sleeps in the rock n play, swing or bouncer. During the day she never sleeps more than 3 hours, but I also wake around that time with a diaper change if she makes it that long. She also has about 3 stretches during the day where she is awake for anywhere from 30 minutes to 2.5 hours. One being right before her last feeding before bed which I think contributes to her long sleep stretches at night.
  • Options
    Agreed, I also don't think that the surface has to do with how long he sleeps. I think the 5 hrs last night were due to the intense partying during the afternoon lol.

Usually when LO is awake he is eating. He will lounge for a few minutes, maybe 30, but after that he'll either want to cluster feed or sleep. I'm guessing it's still normal that they are not awake and "quiet" / doing some activity for long stretches?