Trying to Get Pregnant

IF Testing & Treatment week of 7/9

Re: IF Testing & Treatment week of 7/9

• @nitnat007 , by chance are they testing DNA frag on your h? It typically presents with more sever sperm issues, but the number one "outside" indication is morph. Might be worth checking into. 
    TTC #1 since September 2014
    Diagnoses: RPL, Endometriosis, MFI (count, morph, DNI, DNAS, multiple bilateral subclinical varicoceles), low progesterone
    Check out my Infertility blog 
    Check out my Infertility Instagram

Loss History (TW):
    BFP: 3 May 2015, loss confirmed 4 June 2015
    BFP: 15 August 2015, loss confirmed 23 August 2015
    BFP: 16 November 2015, loss confirmed 22 November 2015
    BFP: 18 July 2016, loss confirmed same day
    BFP: 04 March 2018, loss confirmed 23 March 2018
    BFP: 12 June 2018, TWINS; D&C 06 July 2018
    TTC History (TW):
    3 losses in 2015
    Met with OBGYN in January 2016
    Me: all clear, H: OAT
    November 2016: HSG = All Clear!
    January 2017: H tested again,  High DNA fragmentation and stainability
    February 2017: Clomid + TI + Progesterone = BFN
    March 2017: Clomid + HCG + IUI + Progesterone = SA/wash: zero count on attempt #1, <1,000 on attempt #2= BFN
    Varicocele Embolization- 5 May 17
    December 2017 SA: Zero improvement after embolization
    January IVF- 25 retrieved, 11 mature, 8 fertilized, 3 frozen day fives (3AA, 3AA, 3AA), 1 frozen day 6 (5BB), 1 frozen day 7 (3CC)
    Three PGS normal (3AA, 3AA, 5BB), one inconclusive (3AA)
    FET #1: 27 February 2018, 3AA & 5BB, one stuck! BFP 04 March 2018.... Loss confirmed 23 March 2018
    May 2018: SHG/SIS = all clear "beautiful uterus"
    FET #2: 04 June 2018, 3AA PGS normal embryo, 3AA PGS hatching inconclusive embryo. 
    BFP: 12 June 2018, EDD 20 February 2019
    Ultrasound, 25 June 2018: There are two
    Lost Baby A 02 July 2018
    Baby B not growing, D&C 06 July 2018
    Laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, chromotubation: 23 July 2018: blocked right tube, heavily inflamed, covered in endo. Removed right tube. Removed more endo from uterus, tubes, ovaries. Endo remains on bladder and bowel. 
    Next Up:
    TTC Naturally, possibly IUIs for remainder of 2018. 
    ER#2 ~Jan 2019

• @nitnat007 ygpm 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• Loading the player...
  • @KristoKekerooni I don't recall them mentioning that at all, but I will have to ask. Thank you for the insight and suggestion. 
  • @sheepshepherdess I'm going to ask the office when I call to schedule the appointment just to be sure what my RE would prefer, but everything I've seen says it should be fine if it's done earlier enough before O.
  • @nitnat007 I’m glad the dr had a lot of info for you and next steps. And I hope your H listens & stops smoking!

@AlohaKumu I’m officially old. I couldn’t hear the last two. My dog could hear them all though lol. 

• @lulu1180 mine didn't do betas either, but I will say I am surprised they don't do any monitoring. How do you feel about it?

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

• @lulu1180 my RE also doesn't do betas, and they only do monitoring if they have to put you on FSHs.
    Me: 29 DW: 44
  • jrm_14jrm_14 member
    @lulu1180 My current RE did 3 u/s for my clomid only cycle. 1 was afterwards to ensure follicles ruptures. He does not do betas unless you have a +hpt. Previous RE did 2 betas & 2 u/s. 

I feel like there should be some sort of monitoring to see how many follicles develop (will you be using clomid or letrozole?) & how they progress. 
  • @Avrilmai I’m not quite sure how I feel, I’m just surprised.

@jrm_14 It will be a clomid cycle.  I asked about letrozole and I was told that it hasn’t been approved by the FDA for use of infertility even though it is sometimes used

"It's time to try defying gravity."

Me: 38  DH: 38
    Married 6/11/16
    TTC Since 6/2016
    12/2016 RE appt; 1/2017 SA & HSG results - all normal
    3/2017 Dx Hyperprolactinemia; 5/2017 Prolactin levels normal; 8/2017 Low Ovarian Reserve
    8/2017 TTA for personal reasons; 10/2017 NTNP; 12/2017 Re-start TTC
    7/2018 Clomid+IUI
    11/2018 Letrozole+TI
    12/2018 Letrozole+IUI
    2/2019 NTNP
    5/2019 Stopping all TTC efforts; living Childfree
  • Diagnosis (if you've been): No official diagnosis, but after a couple of cycles monitoring bloods it appears I have insufficient hormone levels (estrogen especially) and a luteal phase defect.

Status (WTO/TWW/TTA): Waiting for AF. Currently CD 34 of my usual 26-28 day cycles.

What are you doing this cycle? (Testing? Treatment?): Nothing this current cycle, I am waiting for AF, then next cycle will hopefully be go time, on CD 2 commencing letrozole and then having an IUI if my hormone levels are good enough. 

In the meantime I have been doing acupuncture, taking prenatal, coq10 (even though AMH is good just trying everything), vitex, vitamin c  and l'arginine.

How are things going?:  Mentally I am doing much better. After my chemical I was a bit of a mess and it took me a good 6-8 weeks to start feeling like myself again. I was able to look to the future again, and after saving money for the next IUI was ready to go. This cycle has thrown me for a 6 though, I don't know what is going on with my body. I had positive ovulation tests at around CD16-17 with EWCM, everything looked normal for me, thought i was going to get AF on time at CD 26-28, then by CD 31 no AF and started having watery CM then CD 32-33 EWCM again and a positive ovulation test. I honestly dont know what is going on. I am so confused.
    I guess I will just wait 2 weeks now and if still no AF ill mention it to my FS.

Any questions?: Is ovulating twice in one cycle two weeks apart even a thing?

GTKY: If you could abolish one piece of modern technology, what would it be and why?
    Facebook. Eh. I am using it less and less for communicating with people I actually know. All the posts are either the same, babies, food, or sharing a MLM.
    I do enjoy FB groups though, its been especially good for linking up with other solo mother's by choice. 
  • jrm_14jrm_14 member
    @lulu1180 Overall, how confident are you in your RE?  Would it be settling to go for a 2nd opinion?  
  • Thanks for all the thoughts and positive vibes.  Beta was negative, progesterone dropped significantly from the first bloodwork. So one donor embryo wasted on another failed cycle.  I don't know what to do.  This was the best chance I've had and all I got was a whole lot of nothing.  This week's grad thread was supposed to be mine.  It should have been me.  Now what? Do it again? We have 4 embryos. Do I transfer 2 and 2 and just get this over with in the next two months? I'm so bitter, I'm so hurt.  I feel completely lost.
    Formally Leekat
    Me: 36 DH 38
    Married Sept 2014
    TTC Since Nov 2015
    IVF Cycle 1 - 0 eggs
    IVF Cycle 2 - 3 embryos
    FET 1 (transferred 1 embryo) - BFN
    FET 2 (transferred 2 embryos- BFN
    IVF Cycle 3 - 1 embryo
    FET 3 (transferred 1 embryo) - BFN
    Donor Egg Retrieval 2/19/18 -4 embryos that didn't make it to freeze
    Donor Egg Retrieval 4/30/2018 - 6 eggs - 5 embryos frozen Day 3
    FET 4 (with donor eggs) (transferred 1 embryo) -BETA 7/10 - BFN
    Hysteroscopy & Endo Scratch 
    FET 5 (with donor eggs) (transferred 2 embryos)-BETA 9/10 - BFN
    Final FET (#6) (with donor eggs) (transferred 2 embryos) BETA 10/15 BFP!!
    EDD: June 24, 2019 Baby O born June 26, 2019

• jrm_14jrm_14 member
    edited July 2018
    @rallykat14  Scream all the curse words & cry all the tears. There is no right answer or crystal ball. And that f*ing sucks. Again, as with each heartbreaker, I wish there were words that would soothe your aching soul or better could change the outcome  :'(
  • Well fuck @rallykat14.  I'm so sorry, I was really hopeful for you this cycle.  I hope that your RE can put together a plan that will lead to your take home baby.  In the meantime, like @jrm_14, scream all the curse words, cry all the tears.  Your feelings are valid and you are allowed to be angry.  If there's anything we can do, let us know.  We'll be here for you in whatever capacity you need <3

Married 6/11/16
    TTC Since 6/2016
    3/2017 Dx Hyperprolactinemia; 5/2017 Prolactin levels normal; 8/2017 Low Ovarian Reserve
    7/2018 Clomid+IUI
    11/2018 Letrozole+TI
    12/2018 Letrozole+IUI
    2/2019 NTNP
  • @jrm_14 The last time I met with her (last August actually), I left the appointment feeling really good overall and for the most part I do like her; even though she must not have read the notes on my file when I told her last year that IVF is outside of our budget (she suggested moving to IVF yesterday if I wanted to be more aggressive due to my low AMH).  

I prefer to stay with the Cleveland Clinic though - that's where I go for everything else and therefore where all my records are; I'd rather not pay for testing I've already had done.  Also, they're a lot more convenient since they have multiple locations and are generally closer to my house than the other options we have around here.  TBH I'm not even sure where any independent REs may be.  Plus, I don't want to delay treatment any further; I just kind of want to get it over with.

Married 6/11/16
    TTC Since 6/2016
    7/2018 Clomid+IUI
    11/2018 Letrozole+TI
    12/2018 Letrozole+IUI
    2/2019 NTNP
  • @rallykat14 That just fucking bites. It just isn't fair and I am so sorry that you have to go through this. I was so hopeful for you. All your feelings of frustration and upset are so valid. Feel them all and be kind to yourself right now. We are here if you need anything.  <3
  • @AlohaKumu I'm glad to hear you are doing well and enjoying working out and having energy. It's such a great feeling!

@lulu1180 I see you aren't going to be doing the trigger after all but if you ever did, this is just my experience: The first IUI I did, I tested out the trigger because I thought it would be cool to see that dark positive line even though I wasn't pregnant. It was cool for days 1 and 2. Then I got bored with it and stopped testing for several days then started testing again. That was a big mistake. I was still getting a faint line from the trigger and it messed with my head not knowing if it was real or not, even though I knew it was almost certainly the trigger. After that, I never tested out the trigger again. I find it to be really helpful because it holds me off testing, or even thinking about testing, until AF/beta is close any way.
    That is strange your RE isn't doing any kind of monitoring. I know there have been a couple people come through who have had similar experiences. If it were me, I would probably push for at least 1 U/S. I didn't respond to letrozole and they knew through U/S so they were able to increase my meds.

@AvrilMai The timeline from IUI to IVF can be so crazy! I was in a similar boat where we went right from IUI to IVF. I liked that it was fast-paced though because it made IVF feel like less of a big deal.

@KristoKekerooni I'm so sorry. I think the sitting and waiting is the hardest part. When you want something so badly and you feel like your'e not actively doing anything to get it, it's such a terrible feeling. But you are doing something. You're taking the time you need, you're waiting for the results, and I hope you are doing lots of self-care. It sucks you aren't taking pills or injections, or going to dr's appointments, or really able to figure out next treatment plans right now, but you're doing the hardest work you could possibly be doing in the TTC realm right now. And I'm sorry you have to. <3 I still grapple with the faith stuff, and I'm trying to think of some coherent response I can give you before I go to work, but I'm coming up short.

@emmasemm How are your 2 embryos doing?

@suzycupcake I took awhile to decide to do IVF as well. Prior to IVF, I went through 10 various treatment cycles.  **TW** I also had a MC the first medicated cycle we did with TI, and I know that was a big component of what held me back from IVF for so long. Because I was also thinking that if it happened one time, it would happen again. For some people it does! And I wanted to make sure I'd exhausted our efforts of trying less invasive procedures before moving to IVF. **end TW**
    Now that I have done IVF, I will say it was less scary than I thought it would be and I am so glad that I did it. In the end, we spent more on IUIs then we did on IVF. Possibly much more, but I haven't calculated it. And about 10x the time on other treatment cycles altogether then we did on IVF. Do I wish I had skipped and went to IVF sooner? I can't say I do wish that. Rather, I wish that we had been at a point emotionally where we were ready to accept IVF sooner so we didn't have to do all those other treatments. I think it's a balance of not pushing yourself to do something you're not ready for, and working on accepting something that might happen. And you can always decide that IVF is not for you. If you ever want to talk through anything, feel free to PM me or ask those questions in this thread. I have spent many months going through all the questions related to "to IVF or not to IVF?"

@rallykat14 I'm so sorry. I really had my heart set on this cycle being the one for you too. Did they give you any reason it might not have worked, or suggest any changes to meds or anything? Were the embryos PGS tested? I haven't researched this that much yet, but if it were me, I would probably go through at least 2 more single-embryo transfers. I think I've read that pregnancy rate is not that much greater when transferring 2 than 1. I totally understand wanting to get this done as quickly as possible though.
  • 50Wife50Wife member
    @lulu1180 wow I'm surprised and how little is involved there. 
    Now, is that all just cost related? Could you do the monitoring and trigger if you wanted to? Or is that just how the office does IUIs?

@rallykat14 I am so fucking sorry and upset for you. I know we were all rooting for you and hoping this was it. 
    Will you have a meeting with your doctor to decide next steps or are you going to wait a bit before making a decision? 
  • @50Wife (and anyone else who might be wondering) Here are the questions I asked and the responses I got.  It sounds like that's just how they do IUIs.  

1. When my next cycle starts, do I call or message your office?  If calling, is there a specific person I should speak with? YOU DO NOT NEED TO CALL. IF YOU DO HAVE QUESTIONS THOUGH YOU WOULD CALL 

2. Previously, it was mentioned that we would be doing an IUI with Clomid; why was this chosen over the other option of Femara?  What dosage would you likely put me on? WE TYPICALLY START WITH CLOMID. FEMARA IS NOT FDA APPROVED FOR FERTILITY, BUT IS OFTEN USED FOR THIS. WE WOULD GIVE YOU 50MG.

3. Will there be a baseline ultrasound done on cycle day 3?  Are there any other tests that would be/need to be run prior to starting the cycle? NO WE DO NOT DO ROUTINE BASELINE ULTRASOUNDS OR OTHER TESTING. THE ONLY REASON TO DO A BASELINE IS IF YOU ARE HAVING PAINFUL CYCLES OR PAIN AFTER OVULATION.

4. On what cycle day would monitoring ultrasounds start and how often would they be after the initial one? YOU DO NOT NEED ULTRASOUND TO MONITOR TO DO THE IUI UNLESS YOU DO NOT GET POSITIVES ON YOUR OVULATION. WE TYPICALLY USE THE OVULATION KITS TO TIME THEM. WE HAVE YOU COME IN THE DAY AFTER YOU GET A POSITIVE OVULATION KIT. IF YOU ARE NOT GETTING POSITIVES THEN WE DO ULTRASOUND TO TIME THEM. IT DOES NOT INCREASE THE CHANCES OF PREGNANCY IF YOU DO GET POSITIVES ON YOUR KIT.

5. Will there be a trigger shot done to induce ovulation?  What kind of medication will it be or will I have a choice which to use? NO YOU WILL NOT NEED THIS UNLESS YOU NEED ULTRASOUNDS TO TIME THEM.

6. How many follicles will you be hoping to see? 1-2 IF AN ULTRASOUND WAS DONE.

7. Is there anything that would cause you to cancel the IUI?  If so, what? NO

8. Will you schedule a blood test to confirm if the IUI was successful or will I just call you if I get a positive test at home?YOU WOULD TAKE A HOME PREGNANCY IF YOU DO NOT GET YOUR PERIOD BY 17 DAYS AFTER THE IUI. YOU WOULD CALL US WITH THIS INFO. 

Married 6/11/16
    TTC Since 6/2016
    7/2018 Clomid+IUI
    11/2018 Letrozole+TI
    12/2018 Letrozole+IUI
    2/2019 NTNP
  • jrm_14jrm_14 member
    edited July 2018
    @lulu1180 Sounds like you asked some great questions!  How will they know if you over/under responded or the clomid needs increased?  My concern would be if you’re not responding & you do as many IUIs as you can afford & clomid hasn’t produced any follicles. 
  • @rallykat14 shit, I'm so sad for you and so sorry that you have to ask these questions. Take your time. You don't have to make a decision today. 

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

• @lulu1180 my RE didn’t do betas either but I’m not sure I’d be ok without monitoring.  There’s so many things that could be happening

@rallykat14 damn. I’m so so sorry. My heart is breaking for you.  I really hope your RE has a plan—it’s not fair!
  • @rallykat14 I wanted this month to be your time so badly. You have been through so much to get here and it's just completely unfair. I hope the "big guns" can give you more solid info as you move forward. FWIW, we have decided to transfer our last two on the next FET and our doc is totally on board with that. I want us all to be able to get the heck out of TTGP in the coming months.

Me: 35 DH: 28
    TTC since June 2016

Azoospermia diagnosis (zero count) Dec 2016

AZFc chromosome microdeletion discovery March 2017
    Unsuccessful TESE for DH in August 2017
    October 2017 IVF with donor sperm
    29R, 24M, 16F, 2d5, 4d6 (6 embryos total)
    Only 3 could have PGS. 2/3 normal. 5 embies frozen
    12/15/17 FET #1 (1 embryo)--CP
    2/7/17 FET #2 (2 embryos)--BFN
    Chronic endometritis diagnosis May 2018
    ERA Sept 2018--borderline receptive--12 more hours of progesterone
    Abnormal SIS Oct 2018
    Repeat hysteroscopy Nov 1. Treated recurring endometritis.
    12/4/18 FET #3 (2 embryos)--BFN
    Our journey has come to an end.
    ~*~*~Nevertheless, she persisted~*~*~
  • I'm so sorry @rallykat14

@lulu1180 my RE did a monitoring ultrasound my first clomid IUI cycle to see my response. After that she didn't do monitoring ultrasounds unless you changed meds unless requested. Everything else about the IUI plan is the same as what my clinic did
  • I'm so happy they both came back normal @purplg8r!  Will you do the FET at the start of your next cycle?

Married 6/11/16
    TTC Since 6/2016
    7/2018 Clomid+IUI
    11/2018 Letrozole+TI
    12/2018 Letrozole+IUI
    2/2019 NTNP
  • @purplg8r Yay!!!! What great news!
  • @rallykat14 I'm so sorry to hear of this news. I had my hopes up for you as well. Sending good thoughts and vibes your way as you navigate through the information and I hope peace and calm for you as you figure out the next steps to do what's best for you.

@madspunk Thank you for your comments for me. I will leave the floor open for rallykat and utilize pm when I have questions for you. Thanks for the invitation <3  
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• @suzycupcake don't feel like you have to go to PM for your questions! Ask away! I'm also here if you need to ask anything IVF.  I'm a little different in that by the time we saw a RE we needed to move to IVF.  I've done some clomid cycles but never IUI.  I was terrified of the needles and the process of it all and said if I have to do it I needed to go with the best % of success.  Little did I know my success rate was going to be slim to none with my eggs....
    Formally Leekat
    Me: 36 DH 38
    Married Sept 2014
    TTC Since Nov 2015
    IVF Cycle 1 - 0 eggs
    IVF Cycle 2 - 3 embryos
    FET 1 (transferred 1 embryo) - BFN
    FET 2 (transferred 2 embryos- BFN
    IVF Cycle 3 - 1 embryo
    FET 3 (transferred 1 embryo) - BFN
    Donor Egg Retrieval 2/19/18 -4 embryos that didn't make it to freeze
    Donor Egg Retrieval 4/30/2018 - 6 eggs - 5 embryos frozen Day 3
    FET 4 (with donor eggs) (transferred 1 embryo) -BETA 7/10 - BFN
    Hysteroscopy & Endo Scratch 
    FET 5 (with donor eggs) (transferred 2 embryos)-BETA 9/10 - BFN
    Final FET (#6) (with donor eggs) (transferred 2 embryos) BETA 10/15 BFP!!
    EDD: June 24, 2019 Baby O born June 26, 2019