October 2018 Moms

UO 7/5

13»

Re: UO 7/5

• Lol I've never heard the term mud bug other than a nickname we had for an engineer on a few jobs from the south. I love the different regional dialects 
    Have you guys ever heard of horn pouting?? 
  • Loading the player...
  • @mamabearcj - that is a new one for me...
  • Team Pop!!!!  Coke over Pepsi definitely!!!! But to love cream soda! 
  • I do not know what horn pouting is, but I agree with @DunkinDecaf

• Going to school in MI's UP, there was a good mix of people from WI, MI, and MN. I was so thrown off when the people from WI called water fountains "bubblers".
  • Lol @DunkinDecaf it has nothing to do with blowjobs. That's what we call catfishing, for the actual fish not the fake online profile.
  • I’m just sitting here singing the folk song I learned in elementary school about Crawdads.
  • edited July 2018
    Dropping this here in case it turns into some wild-ass debate.  (I don’t think it will with our group, but you never know...)

CNN - The 'breast is best' policy backlash https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/11/health/breastfeeding-parenting-strauss/index.html

Basically the article is saying use a bit of common sense about feeding.  

ETA- by “here”, I specifically mean the UO thread.  I don’t want to derail the feeding discussions. 
  • @knottieamusements Great reminders. I knew most of that and had actually seen a similar story to the woman in the article, only the baby didn’t make it. When I was a FTM, I had no idea that could happen. Both of my boys lost more than 10% of their body weight and the night nurse was freaked out about it but the LC had told me it would happen. She explained that they had enough wet and dirty diapers to show that they were ok, but I’m pretty sure nobody checked their glucose levels. They are perfectly healthy little boys and the LC was great, but now I wonder if diaper output is enough to tell they’re ok?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I highly recommend for breastfeeding mothers to go to a lactation group with a lactation nurse on day 2 or 3 of breastfeeding. The nurse weighs your baby, then you feed and then she weighs again to see how many ounces your baby consumed. If your baby isn't getting enough they will help you with latching and advice. These nurses can be very anti formula, but if my baby was shown to not be consuming enough milk I'd hit up the store on the way home for the formula! I always supplemented from day 1 because the hospital gave my baby formula when his blood sugar was too low and my supply hadn't really kicked in yet. I feel very fortunate that they weren't so obsessed with breast is best that they didn't offer it. 

Check your hospital or ask your ob/midwife for a list of free lactation groups in your community!
  • @knottieamusements Great article, thanks for sharing!
  • The hospital I deliver at automatically monitors the glucose levels of all babies over 9lbs which is good.DS was 9lbs 2oz and we ended up having to give him 10cc’s of formula after each nursing session while we were in the hospital.

This story is not only sad, but it sounds negligent on the part of the doctors. We’re they not monitoring wet diapers? 
  • @cdepperschmidt - From my reading, the feeding problems started after she left the hospital because her milk didn’t come in.  But yes, I agree that it sounds like the Lactation consultant basically ignored the mother’s concerns without actually evaluating the baby.  
  • @jennybean80 is it really that normal to get fluids throughout labor? I had an iv placed, "just in case" (According to the nurse) but the lock was turned on, and I didn't receive fluids throughout (although they did give a small bag of oxytocin after DS and placenta were delivered. I always read the bags and ask questions before any med starts, so of course I wanted to figure out why oxytocin after he was delivered. The more you know!). And they removed it as soon as the oxytocin was done (before going into the mommy and baby room). To be fair, I waited at home until my water broke and was only in the hospital for about 3 hrs before he was born :joy: I'm sure that probably isn't the norm.
  • @jomama1618 on the whole, women get way too much fluid in labour. 6L is beyond excessive, but in my case they were trying anything to get labour to stop, so lots of meds plus the “maybe she’s dehydrated?” mentality. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @jennybean80

When you say “too much fluid”, is that via IV, or orally, or a combination?  Is it possible to drink too much water?  (Yes, I know it is technically possible, but is it practically possible in this context?)
  • It’s typically just IV fluid. It ends up third spacing (moving from your blood stream to your tissues). 
  • yes to the IV fluids comment. You aren't looking for wet diapers, you are looking for how many poop diapers a day.
  • @jennybean80 - Thanks!

Another question- do you think that is related to why so many women get really bad night sweats after delivery, or is that just a typical symptom post natal, regardless of IV?
  • @knottieamusements the night-sweats are pretty universal whether you’ve had an IV or not. It’s mostly due to the 50% extra blood volume pregnant women have on board. 
  • Ugh the night sweats were intense!
  • I look awful in all my hospital pictures because they pumped me with so many fluids and I am so swollen everywhere. I hate those pictures and plan to ask them not to do it this time. They say you’re supposed to leave the hospital so many pounds lighter because you are no longer carrying babies/placentas/sacs, but I left weighing 5 lbs lighter than when I came in - both of my boys were born at 6lbs, so I should have lost 12 lb of babies plus the extra (although I’m pretty sure they were pumped full of fluids too because they lost a lot of weight in the hospital (14 oz each) - the nurses said that wasn’t the reason, but the LC agreed with me, especially with how bloated I was, but even at 5lbs something I should have left weighing less than I did).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • @jennybean80 do all women gets the shakes after delivery? What actually causes the shakes? I asked my nurse and she said it was just the "new mommy" shakes. 
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• @britvahok I did not get any shakes after delivery. I was also expecting big gushes of blood the first time I stood up and that didn’t happen either.
  • @cdepperschmidt with DS1 I had the shakes for 1 minute, with DS2 I had the shakes for more than an hour. I was getting kind of worried but the nurse didn't seem concerned. 
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• @britvahok - I suspect the shakes are related to your body dealing with the withdrawal stress horomones from delivery and it is a some people get them, some people don’t kind of thing.  Not a medical person, but I have seen it in other contexts (martial arts & kink).
  • britvahok said:
    @jennybean80, @knottieamusements and @cdepperschmidt Thanks for the info!!!

I think we need an Ask @jennybean80 Anything thread!
    :lol:
  • I'd totally star that thread.