Infertility

September 2018 IVF ER

Anyone else here working towards a September 2018 IVF ER?
I'd love some company. The plan is to start suppressing in August, so I'm already taking supplements. 
Please tell us a little bit about yourself and your journey.

Re: September 2018 IVF ER

• @funkykey hey old friend

Maybe you will have another veteran here to play with you as we will do at least two more retrievals before moving to FET. Bittersweet as we were both on September 2017.

Hope you have a good few prep months ahead to be ready for September. 
    Me 43 DH 45
    Married 12/2016
    TTC #1 since 04/2015
    AMA, DOR (AMH 0.65, AFC 2-4) and autoimmune issues (RA, APS), low TSH, adenomyosis
    7 retrievals, 3 transfers
    Jun19 FET BFP, due date 7th March 2020, DD born Feb20
    Sep17 IVF1 - 1ER, 1F, 1ET, BFN
    Nov17 IVF2 - 1ER, 0F
    Jan18 IVF3 - 3ER, 1F, 1ET, BFN
    Feb18 - second opinion and additional testing
    Apr18 IVF4 - cancelled (E2 too high)
    May/Jun18 IVF4 - 4ER, 0M, 1F, 1 frozen day 3 (not best quality)
    Jun/Jul18 IVF5 - 5 ER, 3M, 2F, 2 frozen day 3 (not best quality)
    Jul/Aug18 IVF6 - 4ER, 3M, 2F, 2 frozen day 3 (good quality)
    Aug/Sep18 IVF7 - cancelled (cyst)
    Sep/Oct18 IVF7 - 3ER, 3M, 2F, 2 frozen Day 3 (excellent quality)
    Oct18 IVF8 - Cancelled (cyst and too low TSH)
    Oct18-Jan19 bringing TSH under control
    Feb19 ERA and hysteroscopy
    Mar19 Investigation for fibroid and adenomyosis
    Apr19 adenomyosis confirmed, polyps removed
    Jun19 FET after 2 months Lupron, autoimmune protocol, transferred two day 3 frozen embryos
    Sep17 - Pergoveris 10-17 Sep, Orgalutran 15-18 Sep, Ovitrelle 18 Sep, ER 20 Sep for 2 follies, 1 mature egg, fertilized, ET 1x 2d 4-cell embryo 22/09, 05/10 BFN
    Nov17 IVF2 - Pergoveris 2-14 Nov, Orgalutran 5-14 Nov, Ovitrelle 15 Nov, ER 17 Nov for 3 follies, 1 mature egg, did not fertilize
    Jan18 IVF3 - Pergoveris 30 Dec - 8 Jan, Orgalutran 5-8 Jan, Ovitrelle 9 Jan, ER 11 Jan 3 eggs, 2 mature, 1 fertilized, ET 1x 4d 12-cell embryo 15/01, 24/01 BFN
    May/Jun18 IVF4 - Rekovelle 25-29 May, Menogon 30May - 2Jun, Zomacton 25 27 29 31 May and 2Jun, Cetrotide 30May - 3Jun, Gonasi 3Jun, ER 5Jun 4 eggs, none mature, two matured overnight, 1 fertilized with ICSI, Frozen day 3 but not good quality
    Jun/Jul18 IVF5 - Rekovelle 21-24 June, Menogon 25Jun-3Jul, Puregon 4-5Jul, Zomacton 21 23 25 27 29 Jun, Cetrotide 25Jun-5Jul, Gonasi 6Jul, ER 8Jul 5 eggs, 3 mature, 2 fertilized with ICSI, 2 frozen day 3 but not good quality
    Jul/Aug18 IVF6 - Rekovelle 26-29 Jul, Menogon 30Jul-7Aug, Buserelin 26Jul-7Aug, Zomacton 26 28 30 Jul 1 3 Aug, Gonasi 7Aug, ER 9Aug 4 eggs, 3 mature, 2 fertilized (normal IVF), 2 frozen day 3 good quality
    Sep/Oct18 IVF7 - Menogon 19-30Sep, Buserelin 19-30Sep, Zomacton 19 21 23 25 27 Sep, Ovitrelle 1 Oct, ER 3 eggs, 3 mature, 2 fertilized with ICSI, 2 frozen day 3 excellent quality 

Fav Quote: The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return

• Loading the player...
  • Hey there! Right now my plan is to do IVF in September (starting BC in August, depending on when I get my period). I had to save up some money first. In the meantime I'm taking ubiquinol, myo-inositol, NAC, and a prenatal vitamin. Hooray for supplements.

I tried one IUI to see if it would work earlier this year and it failed so this is where I am now. My whole fun history of TTC is in my siggy (hidden by spoiler because TW mentions my first pregnancy).

Anyway... I've been lurking on TB but haven't been very active lately because I'm just in financial limbo. I'll keep popping back on and I'll be here for support :) you're doing an FET in September, then @funkykey? May your embryo be strong, mighty, and sticky! My plan is to do ER and fresh transfer in September.

• @emmasemm @kristimh80 - hey guys!  :) Thanks for not leaving me hanging! But I'm hoping that you both will have excellent news over the summer and won't need to join me here!

@wishiwaspreggo - Hey! Welcome! I'm loading up on supplements too! :) I'm just doing an ER in September, so I will likely start stimming at the end of August. Because I'm planning to do PGS testing this time, I'm going to have to freeze, so I likely won't get to the transfer until November. My body will have a few weeks to recover!
  • @funkykey - Ah, so we may be stimming at the same time then :) I did an injects cycle with my last IUI and I needed a ton of FSH just to get one follicle so I'm kind of nervous about how much I'm gonna need to take this go-round. Gonna sign up for the discount program through Compassionate Care so hopefully that'll take the costs down a bit.

Kind of wish I could do all this over the summer while it's nice and quiet at work (I work for a college) but what can ya do. At least I'm keeping busy for now. I've been busting my butt in my yard cleaning it up, planting beautiful perennials and tasty fruits and veggies, and treating the lawn. It's like a second job but I love it. There is nothing more wonderful than the smell of fresh basil and the scent tomatoes give in the hot sun in the summer.
  • @funkykey damn, yeah, I just read through your siggy and that is rough :( PGS will be well worth the cost in that case, if 3 transfers didn't work out. We aren't doing PGS just yet. I guess it depends on how many embryos we get and if a fresh transfer works or not. We'll probably end up getting any frozen embryos tested next year if I don't get pregnant this fall. We shall see. 

No, IVF is definitely not for the faint of heart.

So what are you doing to distract yourself in the meantime? Waiting sucks!
  • @wishiwaspreggo - just checking in. How is your wait coming? How are you doing?

I'm just working lots to distract myself - working and reading and trying to exercise just enough that I don't lose my mind. I am not a runner - I actually don't like running at all - but one of the things about running is that when I do it, I dread it so much (every step), I barely think about infertility. So I've been doing that more than usual. Haha.

I have to re-do a bunch of tests this month. I'm going to have my AMH re-tested, for example. The last time I did it was 2 years ago, so I'm curious to see how my levels have changed, and hoping they haven't changed too much.
  • @funkykey - hey! Thanks for checking on me :)

TW - kids mentioned (not sure if that's necessary on this board but figured I'd add it) - I've been out of town for the past week visiting DS's diblings (donor siblings) in Wisconsin. We try to meet up once a year as a group so he can get to know his half brothers and sisters. It's fun because we all get to visit places around the US we may have never thought about seeing otherwise. We went to Boston last year and next year it's the Outer Banks. Just depends on location and who wants to act as "host" for the gathering. We hosted Wisconsin so we've done our duty for the next few years lol

We recently got approved for our IVF loan! I'm so grateful it worked out. It literally bought us one year's worth of time based on when we'd have saved up enough money. I may cycle as early as August but it depends on when AF comes. I'm just WTO for now and then I'll know since my LP is 14 days exactly. If my period comes at the end of July I'll have to wait until September but I'm fine with that.

Whatcha reading? I'm trying to decide which novel I want to read next... I am craving distraction. I'm super bummed the Handmaid's Tale is over after next week, at least until next season, but I've been so obsessed over what happens next and I love when a show hooks me like that. At least I can look forward to American Horror Story in the fall :)

Sorry you have to re-do a bunch of tests :\ that's no fun. Hopefully your AMH hasn't changed! What was it last time?
  • ***lurking!*** @funkykey still stalking you, and still sending the universe good vibes for you. You are amazing and strong and are going to make such an amazing mother. Sending you all the creepiest internet hugs!!!! You got this in September!! 
    Me: 39 SO: 36

Dx: low progesterone, possible DOR - officially "unexplained"

TTC#1 since November 2015
    9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN
    1/21/2017 Clomid/IUI#3 - BFN
    March 2017 IVF: BFP! (beta#1 191, beta#2 378!) - it's a boy! DS born 12/6/2017

TTC #2 since July 2018
    May 2019 IVF #2: BFP! (beta#1 346, beta#2 646) - vanishing twin at 8 weeks. Baby B still going strong - due 2/8/20!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @PoeMasque - thank you, that is so sweet!

@wishiwaspreggo - That is awesome news re: the loan! And all of that US travel sounds like fun. 

I thought there was one more episode of Handmaid's Tale? Sometimes I can't watch it, just because as an infertile woman, I find so much of it unrealistic. I mean, it's a beautiful show, and there are some really smart, engaging themes. But even in the reviews - all of the critics and commentary really identify with June and her fertility. It seems like most of these reviews are written by fertile people who've not struggled to conceive, so I feel like they don't really get it. They're watching the show like: "I'd be the June, or the driver. I would never be Fred or Serena Joy." And I'm sitting here like: "You would be way more like Fred or Serena Joy than you think."

Besides, I think, if fertility radically plummeted, remaining fertile women wouldn't be kept as sex slaves. They'd be kept in institutions taking injections to churn out eggs. 

I'm actually reading an IF-related book right now: The Art of Waiting by Belle Boggs. It's ok, but I don't fully relate. She talks a little about how she put off TTC for a long time because she wasn't sure that she wanted children, and that has not been my experience at all. That said, she makes a lot of thoughtful observations, even if the whole book is a little like a diary. Next up, I'm planning to read Educated, by Tara Westover.

In other, and unfortunate news, my AMH has dropped a lot since last time I took the test. A couple of years ago, it was on the low side. But now it's officially low at 0.80 ng/mL. I just turned 34. When I got the news, I cried. But it did underscore, for me, that doing another round of IVF is the right call.
  • @funkykey sorry to hear about the AMH drop. That sucks. But you’re right, it just confirms you’re doing the right thing. And I have those days too where I just need to cry it out before I pull myself together again and step forward.
    Me 43 DH 45
    Married 12/2016
    TTC #1 since 04/2015
    AMA, DOR (AMH 0.65, AFC 2-4) and autoimmune issues (RA, APS), low TSH, adenomyosis
    7 retrievals, 3 transfers
    Jun19 FET BFP, due date 7th March 2020, DD born Feb20
    Sep17 IVF1 - 1ER, 1F, 1ET, BFN
    Nov17 IVF2 - 1ER, 0F
    Jan18 IVF3 - 3ER, 1F, 1ET, BFN
    Feb18 - second opinion and additional testing
    Apr18 IVF4 - cancelled (E2 too high)
    May/Jun18 IVF4 - 4ER, 0M, 1F, 1 frozen day 3 (not best quality)
    Jun/Jul18 IVF5 - 5 ER, 3M, 2F, 2 frozen day 3 (not best quality)
    Jul/Aug18 IVF6 - 4ER, 3M, 2F, 2 frozen day 3 (good quality)
    Aug/Sep18 IVF7 - cancelled (cyst)
    Sep/Oct18 IVF7 - 3ER, 3M, 2F, 2 frozen Day 3 (excellent quality)
    Oct18 IVF8 - Cancelled (cyst and too low TSH)
    Oct18-Jan19 bringing TSH under control
    Feb19 ERA and hysteroscopy
    Mar19 Investigation for fibroid and adenomyosis
    Apr19 adenomyosis confirmed, polyps removed
    Jun19 FET after 2 months Lupron, autoimmune protocol, transferred two day 3 frozen embryos
    Sep17 - Pergoveris 10-17 Sep, Orgalutran 15-18 Sep, Ovitrelle 18 Sep, ER 20 Sep for 2 follies, 1 mature egg, fertilized, ET 1x 2d 4-cell embryo 22/09, 05/10 BFN
    Nov17 IVF2 - Pergoveris 2-14 Nov, Orgalutran 5-14 Nov, Ovitrelle 15 Nov, ER 17 Nov for 3 follies, 1 mature egg, did not fertilize
    Jan18 IVF3 - Pergoveris 30 Dec - 8 Jan, Orgalutran 5-8 Jan, Ovitrelle 9 Jan, ER 11 Jan 3 eggs, 2 mature, 1 fertilized, ET 1x 4d 12-cell embryo 15/01, 24/01 BFN
    May/Jun18 IVF4 - Rekovelle 25-29 May, Menogon 30May - 2Jun, Zomacton 25 27 29 31 May and 2Jun, Cetrotide 30May - 3Jun, Gonasi 3Jun, ER 5Jun 4 eggs, none mature, two matured overnight, 1 fertilized with ICSI, Frozen day 3 but not good quality
    Jun/Jul18 IVF5 - Rekovelle 21-24 June, Menogon 25Jun-3Jul, Puregon 4-5Jul, Zomacton 21 23 25 27 29 Jun, Cetrotide 25Jun-5Jul, Gonasi 6Jul, ER 8Jul 5 eggs, 3 mature, 2 fertilized with ICSI, 2 frozen day 3 but not good quality
    Jul/Aug18 IVF6 - Rekovelle 26-29 Jul, Menogon 30Jul-7Aug, Buserelin 26Jul-7Aug, Zomacton 26 28 30 Jul 1 3 Aug, Gonasi 7Aug, ER 9Aug 4 eggs, 3 mature, 2 fertilized (normal IVF), 2 frozen day 3 good quality
    Sep/Oct18 IVF7 - Menogon 19-30Sep, Buserelin 19-30Sep, Zomacton 19 21 23 25 27 Sep, Ovitrelle 1 Oct, ER 3 eggs, 3 mature, 2 fertilized with ICSI, 2 frozen day 3 excellent quality 

Fav Quote: The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return

• @funkykey - Yes, there's one more episode on Wednesday and then it's over until season 3. I had a hard time starting the show because of the political climate (couldn't handle watching it in 2017) and I still have a hard time watching it. I agree, it's definitely not realistic in a lot of ways, especially with reproductive technology being as advanced as it is in 2018. And they over-do it with the "bitter infertile" trope and I find myself angry with the writers for it. But damn, it's a good show! The acting is just phenomenal.

I've heard of that book (The Art of Waiting) but haven't read it yet. I prefer escapist books right now (since my mind needs something else to focus on so I stop obsessing over the happenings of my body). Have you heard of Blake Crouch? I love his books. Dark Matter is my favorite from him.

I am so sorry your AMH has dropped :( but hopefully knowing the numbers will help your doctors provide the best treatment for you and your outcomes will be better.

I have an IVF coloring book that's helping me relieve stress. It's called "IVF WTF?!" and it's pretty hilarious. My favorite page says "Geriatric pregnancy: Isn't 40 the new 30? No, 35 is the new 65!" Shit, it sure feels that way how my doctors carry on :p I'm turning 36 this month. Yippee.
  • @funkykey @wishiwaspreggo Hello, ladies, I'm coming to join you. 

I have lurked this board periodically for the purpose of learning and also cheering on various friends who have come through. I have been active on TTGP and TTCAL. I am 36, DH just turned 35 this week. We have three awesome rescue mutts and one elderly cat. We started TTC our first in March, 2017. It looks like I will be doing my first ER in September. We are planning to do PGS. 

**TW pregnancy and loss mentioned
    I have had four first trimester mc's -- blighted ovum dx'd at 8w June of 2017, CP in August of 2017, another blighted ovum dx'd 6 1/2w in early November 2017. We started seeing our RE in September 2017 (because I was already over 35) and did all the testing, all of which was normal (other than an MTHFR mutation and low vitamin D, which I now supplement). After the third loss (where we did a D&C and did not get enough tissue from the baby to get any answers) we decided to try through April 2018 on our own (we were told I still had at least a 50% chance of having a successful spontaneous pregnancy) and then move to IVF with PGS. Well, of course I got ku our "last" cycle trying and at first my fourth pregnancy went well at first - high betas, and at 6w6d we say a little bean with a perfect HB. Unfortunately at the 8w u/s we learned the HB had stopped, likely within the past 24 hours. We decided to do another D&C (on May 29). This time we did get a result and learned that our baby had Trisomy 22. This seemed to confirm the longstanding suspicion that all the losses were due to randomly occurring genetic issues with our embryos. At that point the choice to do IVF with PGS was clear. I had to wait for my cycle to come back to redo a bunch of testing, but that is all done as of today - I was told everything looks good. Unfortunately our clinic's August cycle was already full, so it looks like I will be with you ladies in September. We're waiting on the official confirmation that we can do our clinic's guarantee program but the nurse I talked with this morning seemed to think we had checked all the boxes. 

@funkykey I have watched all of the Handmaid's Tale but I have sometimes waited a week or two to catch up depending on how I was doing and what was going on. Serena's character is perhaps the most interesting one on the show. On the one hand she is a monster both for what she did "before" Gilead and what she has done to June, and on the other hand I have such sympathy for her and the people in that world who are suffering from a mass IF epidemic. It's interesting how your lens changes. I re-watched the Mists of Avalon a few months ago - I read the book when I was a teen and also watched the movie as part of a class. I remember not much liking Guinevere at the time, but now that character (who struggles with IF) is so much more understandable and sympathetic to me. 
  • @zamora_spin - Welcome! I am sorry for your losses, and I hope you can find support here. :) I also hope that you get at least one PGS normal embryo this September! Do you have a rough idea of when you will start stimming?

I agree with Serena being interesting! :)
  • @funkykey I’m sorry you’ve had three failed transfers and I really hope this retrieval yields some good embryos for you. What is your supplement regimen? I’m on prenatals (with methyl folate), vitamin D, NeoQ10, Açaí berry, l-arganine, and baby aspirin. I also have been trying to limit my carbs which is going ok. 

From what the nurse said today I get the impression that they try to start all patients on stims at the beginning of the month, so I think I’d have to possibly do a bit of BCP (depending on when my August cycle ends) and then start stims on September 1. Could be misunderstanding but that was what I got from what she said, so I may be a bit behind y’all but still in September. Yes, I hope we can get at least one PGS normal. My RE says she expects about 40% of our blasts will be normal, and expects us to get 4 blasts in a cycle based on my AFC (13) and age. But I know there’s a possibility of getting zero, and of course with my history I do worry about losing even a normal one. 
  • @zamora_spin - Hey there! I'm sorry you're having to do IVF with PGS but one would hope with the guarantee program you'll get excellent results. Hopefully the process will feel more peaceful for you vs. TTC on your own and wondering about the embryo quality.

I'm on supplements too (NAC, methyl folate, myo-inositol, Ubiquinol, and prenatals). Trying to eat more fatty fish and fresh fruits/vegetables. Just sitting around twiddling my fingers WFAF. I'm not sure if I'll cycle in August or September at this point, I guess it just depends on how busy their calendar is for August now. Regardless I'll probably start BCPs to regulate my cycle once I start. It has been reliably 36 days for the past few months so there's that. I just hope my doctor understands my situation in that I'll need a lot of FSH. I used a high dose for my last IUI and only got one follicle so I'm hoping he'll really ramp it up for me.
  • Update: talked to my doctor and by the time AF starts it'll be too late to do an August cycle so I'm officially a September IVFer. I'm happy with that :) August is a rough month at work for me since I'm a university employee and students come back next month. I will be less stressed out in September so that'll be good.
  • @wishiwaspreggo - good news :) 

I'm excited to even start suppressing. 
  • @funkykey - I start BCPs on Thursday! I was supposed to have my consult and calendar on Thursday but that got pushed back to August 7th due to a family emergency with our doctor. But the BCPs basically put your cycle on pause, right? My wife was worried about having to push the appointment back and messing up our cycle and now she's gotten me worried about it...
  • Hi ladies, I am jumping on the September bandwagon with you all. 

A little about me: I am almost 35 and TH is the same age. We have been TTC since January 2017 and got diagnosed with PCOS, mild endo and possible tubal issues along the way. So, we now start the IVF route on this IF journey. I am currently waiting for AF to show so that I can start BCP. Our plan is to do PGS testing, so we will see if we get enough/any blasts in September and go from there. 

@wishiwaspreggo I don't have prior IVF experience, but from what I understand most doctors put you on BCP to suppress your ovaries for 2 to 3 weeks, so I wouldn't worry too much about a delay. I actually will be out of the state on the day that I am supposed to start lupron and the nurse said that we could just extend the BCP until I get back in town, so I don't think there is anything to worry. However, if you are nervours, call your nurse, and I am sure she can give you better answers :smile:
  • Thanks @rara_avis_8 :) I figured I'd be on BCPs for a while because my clinic does ER and ET during the first two weeks of the month. I wouldn't have made it in time for the August cycle so they're probably just putting my ovaries on standby until they can prep me for September procedures.
  • @blackhottamales - welcome back! I remember your name from a while ago - I'm sorry you have to go straight to IVF but hopefully there's some relief in knowing what the issues are and how to bypass them without wasting time/money on IUI.
  • @wishiwaspreggo - haha, no way! My next consult with the RE is Aug. 8! We will have back-to-back updates. Looks like I'm going to start BCPs tomorrow. :)

So interesting, how your clinic schedules the BCPs! My clinic does retrievals throughout the month.

Also, I forgot to mention, you said: "It's called "IVF WTF?!" and it's pretty hilarious. My favorite page says "Geriatric pregnancy: Isn't 40 the new 30? No, 35 is the new 65!" Shit, it sure feels that way how my doctors carry on." Um, TOTALLY! I started TTC when I was 31, and started at the clinic when I was 32. The RE and staff were so chill... Sometimes too chill, like no sense of urgency. But it seems like everyone who is 35, almost the minute they turn 35, the clinics are running around like: "We have ZERO time!" Yeeshk.

Also, I didn't ask - are you going to use the same donor this time as you did for DS? 

@rara_avis_8 - welcome! Hoping you get KU-ed soon! What meds are you going to be on, do you know? I'm doing an antagonist protocol. 

@zamora_spin - Ah, a stimming date! So your retrieval will be towards the end of the month. I keep calculating and recalculating and estimating mine, and trying to make sure I don't inadvertently commit to anything that I won't be able to go to.

You know, I'm going to have to revisit the Mists of Avalon now, as an IF woman. I read it so long ago, I'd almost forgotten. And I might have been too young at the time, when I did read it.

@blackhottamales - Welcome! You know, in hindsight, I wish I'd skipped straight to IVF. Are you doing and PGS testing? 

AFM: I've done some rough calculations, and it looks like I'll start stimming ~ Aug. 25, which means retrieval will be ~ Sept. 8.

I spent a lot of time last night triple-checking our bank account and double-checking all my assumptions on how we are paying for this. DH is a bit down about the money, so I am really hoping it will be worth it. I mean, I know if we get KU-ed, it will be - of course! But it's not getting KU-ed that I'm worried about...

I realize I haven't responded to some questions - for supplements, I've mostly been taking CoQ10 and then a prenatal with lots of certain vitamins. I've cut way back on alcohol, and I've also done a lot to limit BPAs and other plastics in our lives (you might have guessed, I read It Starts with the Egg. For the past 3 months, DH has been complaining about how he misses our old tupperware, and says he hates the glass stuff).

Part of me thinks all this is bunk, esp. the BPA parts, but part of me is like: "Maybe trying something different means I'll have a better shot this time." For the record, though: I know a lot of women who use a lot of plastic who got KU-ed NO PROBLEM IRL, so I'm definitely not an anti-plastic evangelist for IF women.

Apart from that, I'm just on the ol' IVF emotional rollercoaster. The stakes feel a bit higher this time, because if this doesn't work, we likely won't try a third time. Instead, we may explore other options. I mean, if we get through 2 cycles with no embryos that might result in a BFP, it'd be really hard to justify throwing another $25K at the issue.

Sometimes, I catch myself thinking: "Maybe I will be 40 weeks pregnant this time next year!" But other times, I just think: "What am I going to do if they call and say: 'I'm sorry, none of your embryos are genetically normal.'"

Last time, I actually found the most stressful part was the 5 days after the ER. Just waiting for the updates. DH and I would go for walks around the block and talk about what we hoped the embryos were doing: "I hope they're multiplying right now!" We only had 1 to freeze on day 5 and then 3 more made it to freeze on day 6. I wept after the day 5 phone call, and I was ecstatic after the day 6 phone call. I guess this time, we'll have the wait for the PGS results too. I imagine that wait is also agonizing!
  • @funkykey - Yeah, being 35+ in the IF world makes you feel ancient lol... whatever. This is my last rodeo, I've decided, so if it doesn't work out for whatever reason we'll probably have to consider alternatives as well. Some of the women who used our donor have leftover embryos that they want to donate so we may consider adopting them if we can't produce more embryos of our own. We'll cross that bridge when we/if we get to it. And yes, the sperm we have now is with the donor we used to conceive DS. We have 3 vials left...

Yeah, I know what you mean about panicking about the bank account balance and worrying "what if it won't work" because we pulled out a loan to do this. It would break my heart if I had to make a payment every month and not even be pregnant after all this. It is such a huge gamble and the stakes are so high. I'm praying that, even if we don't get KU, we'll have frosties to try with later on. That would make the whole thing worth it in my opinion. If we could get a couple chances from one cycle then I'll be at peace with it.

Speaking of the 5 day wait after ER... I'm doing a different procedure that's still a form of IVF but the incubation is different. It's called INVOcell. They put the embryos in a solution and put that in a capsule that gets placed in the vagina to "bake" for 3-5 days (depending on your situation). They always do ICSI because they find that sometimes if you have too much sperm with a handful of eggs they don't fertilize properly or something. Anyway, you carry and bake the embryos yourself. It's pretty neat. I'm on a Facebook group of women who are doing this procedure and there are a lot of pregnancies resulting from it (similar results to IVF). Of course there are failures but for many women they get plenty of embryos from it. I think it'll be cool to know I have them with me while they grow and divide :) of course I'll be a nervous wreck hoping enough are growing properly but maybe I'll feel a little comfort in knowing my body is playing an active role in the process.

But yes, PGS is a whole other level of agony... but assuming they find normal embryos to transfer, perhaps that will make FET a more positive experience and provide more hope!
  • @blackhottamales Welcome -- I recognize you and I'm sorry you find yourself at the IVF stage. Like you I haven't done any IUI, the only treatment I've done was a couple rounds of clomid. Basically into the frying pan for us I guess! I have definitely used the word priming used, maybe in conjunction with Lupron, so that sounds right. 
    @funkykey Honestly if I weren't 36 we might keep rolling the dice for a while longer on our own, but yeah, when you're 35+ things take on a a new level of intensity. We paid for all our clinic costs last week (we are doing a package so we have to pay up front to reserve our cycle) and it is already $2k more than I thought because they wanted me to pay for the cost of biopsying the embryos for PGS upfront as well. The financial aspect does give me heart palpitations. I definitely had a mini-cold feet episode last week the night before I made the initial payments and kept asking DH if he was sure he wanted to do this  :D I can understand not wanting to keep going after a certain point, I really hope you don't get to that point though. Does your clinic give discounts for multiple cycles?

I hear you on the ISTWE recs. I adopted *most* of them last July. Giving up my perfume and shampoo was hard and it took me a long time to find replacements without phthalates, etc. The rec that I have had the most trouble with is diet - I'm not an unhealthy eater per se but I eat a lot of carbs. I've been pretty good at low-carbing for the past month and am trying to keep it going through my ER. But that one is hard, especially because I've been on all the supplements, avoided BPA (to the extent possible, I feel like you have to go live in the woods to be free of it), gone clean with all my beauty products, cut way back on booze and caffeine, and I have nothing to show for it except *TW three more mc's end TW*. 

@wishiwaspreggo I'm very fascinated by the INVOcell approach. As far as I know no one around us is doing it yet but it seems like it may be the next frontier and provide access to a wider range of patients due to the somewhat lower cost (or so I've heard). When they pull the device out do they ever put it back in if some embryos aren't quite ready or are you just out of luck if some embryos aren't quite mature enough? 
  • @zamora_spin - Yes, the INVOcell treatment is lower cost than traditional IVF since it doesn't require the use of incubators or monitoring. It's a good treatment for couples whose fertility problems are related to PCOS (lower stimulation means lower risk of OHSS), tubal factor, or male factor since they do ICSI. I know it's not recommended for AMA (I think 40 is the cut-off at my clinic) or low ovarian reserve. They generally retrieve 7-10 eggs and the device only holds 10 embryos max but if you have more than that they'll put them in an incubator if you want. Some women get away with paying as little as $7000 but I expect mine to cost $9-$10K because I know I will need more medication after using all that Follistim on my IUI cycle and only getting 1 follicle. Still half the cost I was quoted for traditional IVF with my last clinic!
  • oh, one other thing! i recently became interested in investing in stocks and i thought to myself, what is something that has the potential to be a necessity and has long term growth potential.  I took stock of the stuff I use daily and things that may be important in the future (e.g, technology; recycling) but then I thought of my IF journey and then thought of handmaid's tale too -- haha... I checked to see if any publicly traded companies do IVF related stuff and it just so happens that that INVOcell technology is part of INVO Bioscience company (IVOB). Their stock is only about $.45 cents, so I bought some shares hoping their value will grow in the long run.  I'm so glad to hear that some of you ladies have heard of it / are trying it! I think the biggest thing is that it makes IVF so much more affordable!  very cool!
    me: 37 dh: 42; TTC since Jan 2016
    dx: PCOS, low progesterone; 2 MMC
    Sept FET 2018 Spreadsheet
    3 failed IUIs (clomid + ovidrel), unresponsive to femara
    Jan 2 2018 - 1st IVF cycle - 9 retrieved, 7 mature/fertilized, 1 5d transfer + 5 untested snowbabies
    Jan 19 2018 - Fresh Transfer #1 one 5dt; BFP 1/25/2018; EDD 10/7/2018; MMC at 8w3d; D&C 3/6/2018
    May 16 2018 - FET #1 one 5dt; BFP with 4 betas (6.5, 24.3, 165.5, 2250) - EDD 2/1/2019; MMC at 6w; D&C 6/20/18
    Sept 17 2018 - FET #2 one 5dt; BFP 38.9 7dpt, 167 9dpt - EDD 6/5/2019  
    (3 untested embryos remain)

• @funkykey I hear you on this journey being a roller coaster, although I have not experienced a fraction of what you and the rest of the ladies on here have endured. I pray that you get good embryos this time around!!! In regards to your question, I am not sure what medications I am going to be on exactly. This is going to be my first IVF so I assume its going to be trial and error. I feel like a hardcore gambler, spending 20k on a lottery ticket...

@northbeach3 I actually decided to do PGS testing based on what I read on previous monthly boards on here. I also read that PCOS and endometriosis, can cause poor quality eggs, so I figured I better get as much testing done ahead of transfer. Keeping my fingers arms and legs crossed for your remaining embryos to be healthy  <3

I tried watching the Handmaid's Tale, but I just couldn't. 

AFM I am in the dumps today. I had a video conference call with my very pregnant coworker and just seeing her pregnant belly upset me so bad. I hung up and started ugly crying and had a woe is me pity party...I work from home but have to go to the office next week and I am so scared I am going to have a meltdown in the office. I am just feeling so scared I will never get to experience a pregnancy. I know its too soon be so negative, but that is how I feel right now. Roller coaster indeed.
  • hello ladies.....as of right now it looks like i will be a Sept IVFer...finished up all the prereqs today with my ultrasound just now waiting on auth from insurance and we plan on starting BCP on my next cycle
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • @wishiwaspreggo - wow, you're doing the INVOcell?! I've read about it, but you're the first person I know who's doing it. I've got to say, I'm pretty stoked that you're in our group - it's going to be so interesting to see how that goes! 

@zamora_spin - my clinic does not give discounts on multiple cycles, but I've heard through the grapevine that if you get to cycle 4-5 they might take pity on you and give you a break. Pretty sure they might give me a slight discount if we have to a couple more FETs. Though, you know, I really hope it does not come to that.

Re: the ISWTE recs on food, I totally hear you. I'm a pretty healthy eater - I've always been a pretty healthy eater. Even in college, I was eating kale and drinking green juice. I was a varsity athlete - I probably drank less in my 20s than almost everyone I know. I've always made regular exercise a priority. Before all the IF treatments, I did more running and even triathlons. I'm not an Ironman or anything, but I'm pretty good, relatively. And here I am, with plummeting AMH and unexplained infertility. So sometimes, all this "advice" kind of gets to me. It's not like I was super "unhealthy" and now I'm dealing with the consequences of that. I feel like a lot of the IF "advice" is kind of like that - like it tells IF women that their IF is a consequence of their bad diet or bad shampoo choice. Maybe that's the case in truly exceptional cases, but IMO, for the most part, IF just sucks and is bad luck, and I wish the advice givers would be a little more observant and humble.

@northbeach3 - haha, you are welcome to lurk & comment! :) That sounds horrible - I'm sorry for your MCs. Ugh. I too would be pretty terrified to move forward.

After our second failed FET, my RE said the same thing - that the risk of thawing, testing, and re-freezing was too great. Before we froze initially, I knew PGS was an option- but because I was under 35, we made a calculated decision. I certainly didn't think I was going to deal with 3 failed FETs in a row. I thought I'd have to deal with maybe 1-2.

If it's any consolation, statistically, you have a winner in your batch of untested embryos. Keeping FX that this next cycle, you transfer THE one!

ps. I love the stock advice, lol.

@rara_avis_8 - IVF is such a gamble. Our first IVF, I kept repeating: "You can't be brave unless there is something to fear." Honestly, I think everyone going through a round of IVF is so, so brave!

I'm sorry about your coworker. Hopefully, when you go in, it won't be so bad. I've found that throughout IF, I have good days and bad days. On a bad day, something might set me off - like, I'll think what you thought: "I'm never going to experience a pregnancy." But on a good day, I'll think: "Can't wait to get all her baby stuff for free! I'm 100% going to be pregnant in October!" So hopefully you will get a good day soon! :smiley:

@rmarble23 - welcome! When do you think you'll start BCP? I see you've done IVF before - do you have any embryos left from that cycle?
  • @funkykey i sure hope you're right about statistically finding at least one good one. i understand that if I had testing them all from the get go, only a couple would have made it. although, i did read another thread on this board that said a woman tested and ALL of her embryos from one batch came back abnormal.  -_-  i'm just worried about more repeated miscarriages. my brain is tainted and can't take a breather after getting pink lines or positive betas. even my RE said that i would probably feel "cautiously pessimistic"! (sigh)

@rara_avis_8 i'm sorry about the triggering experience at work. it effing sucks.  i finally deactivated facebook b/c i just couldn't take it anymore.  i also had a colleague tell me she was barely 5 weeks pregnant right before my 6w MC. Her EDD is 1-2 weeks after mine would have been... i'm going to have to see her growing belly and give birth right around the time i would have been.  i'm in denial about it. :(
    me: 37 dh: 42; TTC since Jan 2016
    dx: PCOS, low progesterone; 2 MMC
    Sept FET 2018 Spreadsheet
    3 failed IUIs (clomid + ovidrel), unresponsive to femara
    Jan 2 2018 - 1st IVF cycle - 9 retrieved, 7 mature/fertilized, 1 5d transfer + 5 untested snowbabies
    Jan 19 2018 - Fresh Transfer #1 one 5dt; BFP 1/25/2018; EDD 10/7/2018; MMC at 8w3d; D&C 3/6/2018
    May 16 2018 - FET #1 one 5dt; BFP with 4 betas (6.5, 24.3, 165.5, 2250) - EDD 2/1/2019; MMC at 6w; D&C 6/20/18
    Sept 17 2018 - FET #2 one 5dt; BFP 38.9 7dpt, 167 9dpt - EDD 6/5/2019  
    (3 untested embryos remain)

• @funkykey - I'm excited to give it a go! I'm on a lively Facebook group of women undergoing INVOcell. The results, based on following their journeys, are promising.

And I hear ya on the "advice" and making women feel like they're doing something wrong with their diet or lifestyle as a reason for IF.

TW - a friend of mine lives off white bread, snack cakes, and sweet tea. She's probably a hundred pounds overweight and a year older than me. Her husband's lifestyle habits are similar to hers. She's due with her second baby at the end of August. I'll add this was an oopsie baby so she's getting her tubes tied after delivery. TW over
  • funkykey said:

@rmarble23 - welcome! When do you think you'll start BCP? I see you've done IVF before - do you have any embryos left from that cycle?
    i dont have anything left from the first cycle, the last two were used when we got pregnant with my daughter.  Estimated day for my next period which would start BCP is 8/20

• @rmarble23 - wow, that gives me so much hope. So of your 4 embies from your last IVF, one resulted in a live birth? Were you scared going into your 2nd FET? 

Are you doing PGS testing this time? 

Obviously, keeping FX that this cycle is also a success for you!
  • *TW*

@funkykey first cycle produced 20 eggs only 6 fertilized, two didn't make it to blast.  first transfer after the cycle didn't take, second (first FET) resulted in a chemical so i was hopeful for the third try (second FET) especially since we were allowed to put in two embryos and i was totally ok with twins and be done.  I did end up with two sacs but nothing grew in the second sac and eventually dissolved. As of right now PGS testing is not on the radar, we didn't with the first batch and we dont have anything notable to push us in that direction yet.