October 2018 Moms

U/O Thursday (6/14)

2»

Re: U/O Thursday (6/14)

• @mytrueloves it was me and I didn’t know that, only the cigarette reference. So was it a hate word at the same time as cigarette word or did that come later? No worries if you don’t know, I’m just curious.  I could probably go look it up myself, but being lazy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Jumping in to the whole ‘who gets to use what words’ discussion - I think it comes down to the population it’s targeted at and they get to decide if they find it offensive or not within their community. But when people outside their community use it, it is almost always in a derogatory and offensive manner whereas in their internal dialogues it might not be used to intentionally cause harm. You don’t use those words as an outsider because you want to invoke positive feelings about the group.

I work with individuals with diversabilities and their families - when I hear someone use the term ‘retarded’ it is immediately implied that person thinks someone with a disability is a less than. It might be ignorance and they don’t know that isn’t a PC term anymore - but even in that case it also implies the individual is a lesser citizen because of their disability (because they are also using the dated thinking that goes along with the word that people with diversabilites are incapable of self determination). That being said - I don’t think it’s one of the groups where they’ve really tried to ‘take back’ the word either, I’ve never heard a self advocate refer to someone else with a disability using that term. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • pajamstagramspajamstagrams member
    edited June 2018
    Re: music and kids. DH and I were literally talking about this an hour ago on the way to dinner. We are hard rock/metal fans, so the music we listen to has some inappropriate words/themes for children that we wouldn't want them repeating. (heyyyy Ghost, love you guys, but don't need my kids telling grandma and grandpa about how they listen to semi-satanic metal bands  :D )

ETA: we will probably just screen our music around the baby and awkwardly talk over any bad words lol
  • Relatedly, one of my concerns about raising tiny human is that I listen to quite a bit of hip-hop and R&B.  How do I explain that just because tiny human heard some lyrics on the stereo, that doesn’t mean xe can repeat them. 

I dread having to get radio edits of my music- especially since I hate radio edits.  
    This has been an issue for me a lot lately as DD1 has just gotten old enough to ask in-depth questions about song lyrics, and DD2 has entered the parroting phase. I listen to all kinds of music and some of it uses explicit language. Some of them I’m comfortable explaining to my kids, and others I just don’t play around them now. Like, I’m happy to explain a song that has “ass” in it, e.g. “Ass is a grown up word for your bum, honey. It’s one of those words that it’s not acceptable for kids to use but sometimes grown ups choose to use them.”, but I’m not about to explain Fuck the Police by NWA to my 3 year old. Honestly songs that have references to violence have been causing me more problems than language lately, because it’s a lot easier to forget that a song has a passing reference to violence than a bunch of cussing.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • KFrobKFrob member
    @jemmerjams We listen to the same kind of music.  (side note, I say "ratssss" all the time now, thanks Ghost haha)  but with a different view, I want my kids exposed to mommy and daddy's weird quirky musical taste. Music is so much of mine and DH's relationship and who we are as people.  I figure if they bring up the swearing then I'll address it as pp's have mentioned.   
  • @Kfrob omg love it. I keep saying it too, you can't not say it that way!! I have some younger cousins that picked up swearing really early and it's kind of a sore subject in the family (plus my family is pretty religious), so I'm hoping to keep that to a minimum. But for sure, my kids are going to be exposed to the music I like, just *maybe* more censored, or with a lot of talk about why we don't say these words.

• KFrob said:
    @jemmerjams We listen to the same kind of music.  (side note, I say "ratssss" all the time now, thanks Ghost haha)  but with a different view, I want my kids exposed to mommy and daddy's weird quirky musical taste. Music is so much of mine and DH's relationship and who we are as people.  I figure if they bring up the swearing then I'll address it as pp's have mentioned.   
    This is one thing I think is cool about SS having two families. The music that BM, DH, and I listen to is all very different. BM is more of a country and top 40 kind of person, DH prefers rock, and I love showtunes. DH and I both listen to a variety of music, but those are our preferences. In turn SS loves everything! He will sing along with Imagine Dragons and Five Finger Death Punch. When it's him and I in the car, we listen to Disney and play "what's this from".
  • @sammierose464 you changed your little thumbnail picture and now my preggo brain is all confused LOL
  • KFrobKFrob member
    @sammierose464 Love it!!!!  
  • @nasalot188 haha I thought the same thing when I saw the profile pic! 
  • @rc-cola I wish I could love this more than once. 

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• haha I had that thought when I did it! Sorry guys. It's my little Griffin!
  • DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• @rc-cola well said! I once read an article that explained this SO well, but there's no way I could ever find it again.

Going to a session this afternoon with women at work to talk about equality in our workplace given some of the recent drama that was blasted by the news. Had a similar conversation with my boss about how we need to ensure all people are represented and recognized equally, but that we have to shine the light on where the significant issue is first so as not to mute/damper the entire situation from the beginning. It's been so interesting to hear everyone's perspectives.
    Looking forward to the session, but I'm anticipating it being intense.