September 2018 Moms

Diaper raffle baskets-Prizes?

mrzcrwnmrzcrwn member
edited June 2018 in September 2018 Moms
 I will be hosting a diaper raffle at my baby sprinkle (mini version of a baby shower without the big gifts only basics since this is my second boy) and I will be giving away two baskets and my sprinkle is going to be for men and women to attend and if someone were to bring a pack of diapers they could be entered to win one of the baskets so my question is what of items should I put in each basket? What would men and women like to win in a basket like that? 

Re: Diaper raffle baskets-Prizes?

• mrzcrwnmrzcrwn member
    edited June 2018
  • Loading the player...
  • My MIL purchased $15 Bath & Body Works cards and $10 Starbucks for winners of games at my shower. I like the puppy idea @stothi had. 
    Me: 33 DH: 31 Baby: 9/2/2018 BabyFruit Ticker

• adiratadirat member
    Punctuation? I could barely parse your post.

• adiratadirat member
    @nackie lol 

So are the puppies! They run right out!

• stothistothi member
    mrzcrwn said:
     I will be hosting a diaper raffle at my baby sprinkle (mini version of a baby shower without the big gifts only basics since this is my second boy) and I will be giving away two baskets and my sprinkle is going to be for men and women to attend and if someone were to bring a pack of diapers they could be entered to win one of the baskets so my question is what of items should I put in each basket? What would men and women like to win in a basket like that? 
    Qfp

• Also, I may have missed it, but I don’t seem to recall you participating much or really at all here. We are a community that has developed over the last 24+ weeks and we really don’t like being treated like a personal google for you. 
    3 posts ever. Good call.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • stothistothi member
    stothi said:
    If we are going to seriously answer the question I do also vote for just booze and I don't even drink. No basket, no fillers, no whatever, just a bottle of wine and a chocolate bar for one and a six pack of beer and a bag of jerky for the other. 
    Still a negative return on investment for the inevitable $10 pack of 20 diapers the attendee may or may not bring  :D 

But wine, chocolate, and jerky sound amazing right now!

OP save your money and buy your own diapers! 
    Ok, done now. 
    Oh, I agree about the financial gain part. I feel like it's honestly a better investment to skip the party and baskets and whatnot and just buy whatever basic supplies one needs.

I've been thinking about it more, and I know everyone cares soooo much about what I think ;) but this is the conclusion I've come to-
    So, I don't care at all how many showers or sprinkles or dripping faucets one has, and I only very slightly side eye hosting one's own get together (I'd totally still go if we were friends) but I'm really uncomfortable with the idea of hosting one's own raffle. Like that for me crosses the line to where I wouldn't participate. Cause a raffle is very much a calculated financial/business type transaction. The exclusive purpose of a raffle is that one invests a small amount of money, goods or services in an attempt to get in return a much larger amount of money, goods or services. I always feel that the party itself, no matter what one calls it, can be about other things like celebrating new life, getting together with friends, ect, but a raffle, unless you give the tickets away for free, is exclusively about profit.
    All that being said, I don't care at all if someone does it, but now I have 2 things baby shower/sprinkle wise that I won't participate in. Before it was just booze on the registry that I was against but now I can add that I wouldn't participate in a raffle hosted by the person who would profit from said raffle.
  • nackienackie member
    @stothi I have been to showers with diaper raffles hosted by friends/family of the mom to be and still feel like it’s just a little tacky and greedy. I also feel the same about the dollar dances at weddings. I’m happy to give a gift to celebrate your special milestones, but if I feel like you’re looking to profit off my generosity, I start feeling a whole lot less generous.  Maybe I should be posting this in the UO thread instead...
  • stothistothi member
    @nackie I very much agree with your opinions. 
  • DanyTargaryenDanyTargaryen member
    edited June 2018
    nackie said:
    @stothi I have been to showers with diaper raffles hosted by friends/family of the mom to be and still feel like it’s just a little tacky and greedy. I also feel the same about the dollar dances at weddings. I’m happy to give a gift to celebrate your special milestones, but if I feel like you’re looking to profit off my generosity, I start feeling a whole lot less generous.  Maybe I should be posting this in the UO thread instead...
    IMO I feel like if it's truly hosted by someone else that's a completely different ball game. It's optional, you're not required to participate, and it can be worked into the total gift cost vs budget instead of thinking of it as an add-on.

Opinion strongly based on the fact that the only showers I've ever been to that they did this at were for my BFF and my BFF's sister so I basically would have happily done anything for them.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • @DanyTargaryen my mil insisted on a dollar dance at the wedding. DH and I told her no. But nonetheless, she took the microphone and announced it at reception. That had to be one of the most embarrassing moments of my life. Luckily, it only lasted two songs, but still. I think it would have been more embarrassing to call her out at the reception than the dollar dance. 
    Me: 33 DH: 31 Baby: 9/2/2018 BabyFruit Ticker

• @MandyMost When DH and I were around Boston a couple weeks ago I made the comment there were so many DD’s! I guess it wasn’t my imagination!