November 2018 Moms

Weekly Questions - week of 5/21

We haven't had a new questions thread in a while, so it's probably time for a new one.

*TW*
Me: 31 | DH: 33
DD1: 8/2014  <3
TTC #2: 6/2017
BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
DD2: 10/2018  <3

Re: Weekly Questions - week of 5/21

• Question about crib mattresses. We got DD's crib mattress as a hand-me-down from my sister; she used it with her twin boys who are now almost 9 years old. Can we reuse the mattress with this baby, or should we buy a new one? I tried googling it, but the internet is full of all sorts of different answers, so I wanted to see what you guys had to say on the topic. 
    *TW*
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
  • @offtoneverland I would buy a new one. I understand sometimes you have no other option than to use a used one, but there are certain things I'd lean towards getting new if possible. Mattresses are one of them, specifically for babies. I'm sure it would be fine, but I know I would worry.
  • Loading the player...
  • mockingjay1mockingjay1 member
    edited May 2018
    @offtoneverland - I'd probably get a new one. Ours is 3.5 years old (although DS still sleeps on it until we get him into a twin bed) and we'll be getting a new one for this baby. I'd be nervous a used/older mattress isn't as firm as it once was/is recommended.
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• rmg85rmg85 member
    @offtoneverland - I think with it being that old you would probably want to get a new one. I am definitely taking lots of hand me downs and getting some second hand things but there's a few key things like the crib mattress and car seat that I feel lile are a must to get new for our LO. But this is just my opinion. You have to do what works for you and your family
  • rmg85rmg85 member
    Anyone else feel like they get a little more anxious in the stretches between appointments? I had some very minor spotting 2 weeks ago (talked to my doc and she wasn't worried because it wasn't bright red or accompanied by cramping). Ever since I find myself getting hit with waves of anxiety about if baby is okay in there. I am 16 weeks today so I know that in all likelihood if something was really wrong I would have had a lot of pain or something. Reeeally looking forward to hearing the heart beat again next week when I go for my next prenatal
  • Thanks everyone for the advice! I was thinking we should probably buy a new one, but wanted some advice before making the purchase. It's definitely better to spend some extra money when safety is involved. 

@rmg85 I think that's totally normal. It'll get better in several weeks once our babies start wiggling around on a daily basis so we know they're okay. I've also had spotting off on and on and it makes me nervous. I woke up today to light red spotting but so far I haven't seen any more, but it's hard not to be a little concerned. 
    *TW*
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
  • @rmg85 Yes, I definitely feel it. I'm 14 weeks tomorrow and I have 2 more weeks until my next appointment. I just want reassurance that baby is still kicking in there.

Question: Where did you buy your favorite maternity shorts?
  • mockingjay1mockingjay1 member
    edited May 2018
    @rmg85 - I think it's normal to feel that way. I am seeing my OB tomorrow after 5 weeks, but I have a doppler at home. Even hearing the heartbeat I still feel a little anxious and I think I will until my anatomy scan and until I can feel consistent movement. 
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• Is anyone else here a shorty like me? I am trying to find maternity pants, both jeans and work pants, but everything is too long. The pants I got yesterday at MM are supposed to be ankle length, but they are a bit baggy on my legs. Any suggestions on where to get short length or petite? 
    Me: 34  DH: 34
    Married 10/28/17
    Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1 February '18
    Team Green turned Team Blue 10/15/18

TTC #2 January '21
    BFP June '21
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C July '21
    Jan '22 - started IF testing
    BFP Jan '22
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C Feb '22
    BFP May '22

• @rmg85 I get anxious between appointments too. I’m 13 weeks and we are telling our families this weekend, and my anxiety has definitely spiked this week. 
  • @rmg85 I think that's totally normal. It'll get better in several weeks once our babies start wiggling around on a daily basis so we know they're okay. 
    ....and then it gets worse again when baby decides he wants to take a little break for a few hours. Then you rush to drs office and get strapped to a monitor when baby decides to start tap dancing right on it.....  :p

• @tessiesmom26 I know that old navy petites seems to fit me pretty well. I'm 4'11. Otherwise, I just roll up the hems because #lazy. Most of my pants are hand me downs and to long anyway. 
  • @tessiesmom26 You can also order petite sizes from the Motherhood Maternity website. I'm 5'3" and their petite pants fit me really well. 
    *TW*
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
  • @rmg85 I think that's totally normal. It'll get better in several weeks once our babies start wiggling around on a daily basis so we know they're okay. 
    ....and then it gets worse again when baby decides he wants to take a little break for a few hours. Then you rush to drs office and get strapped to a monitor when baby decides to start tap dancing right on it.....  :p

yep this happened with my stinker son. 
  • @rmg85 yes!  The wait between 12 and 16 is a little easier because I got my NIPT results at 13 weeks but 16 to 20 is going to be absolutely miserable.  I'm hoping a posterior placenta this time compared to the anterior I had with DD means I'll feel the little guy moving sooner than 23 weeks...
  • Not sure if I should put this question here or in the bump thread. So I just picked here.

So I started off this pregnancy heavier. I have my stomach above my belly button, then an indentation where my belly button is, and then (unfortunately) a pooch/roll under my bellybutton. So tonight I was looking in the mirror and my stomach above my belly button has become pretty round. I am only 13 weeks, could that be caused by baby already? I figured he/she was still pretty low, in the lower abs area. I am only 5'1 with a pretty short abdomen section, if that matters. I will attach a picture, if you can see my hand, that is where my bellybutton is. I should also note I have felt baby moving (3rd time pregnant) already and it has always been in the lower an section. 

Sorry that I can't put picture in spoiler or make it smaller! I only bump on my phone.

• @bfpafter4years The baby is still down below your belly button, although I suppose it could be a little higher for you since you're on the short side. But I think once the uterus starts growing, it pushes all the other body parts upwards, which is probably why it looks like the bump is above your belly button. I don't really know anything about anatomy, but that's how it makes sense in my head at least. I have a pretty pregnant-looking bump right now that looks like it goes above my belly button, but I think that's just from everything else getting squished and pushed upward.
    *TW*
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
  • rmg85rmg85 member
    edited May 2018
    Thanks ladies! Glad to know I am not the only one who gets this way

@bfpafter4years - I agree with @offtoneverland it is maybe your organs being pushed around a bit which could lead to your bump looking higher. That's awesome that you are feeling movement and can spot it! This is my 1st and I feel like I have been noticing some flutters but hard for me to know what it is for sure 
  • Question: anyone else getting super crazy dreams that wakes you up??

I normally don't dream but the last week has been filled with them! And with DD, I had all baby related dreams. With this peanut, I'm getting dreams that are completely unrelated. Last night for example, I drempt of getting in trouble by my elementary speech teacher, who has since passed almost 10 years ago and I haven't even thought of her in the last 20 years! She scolded me for talking out of turn and told me I could stay after school 5 min and miss the bus ride home. I snapped back at her, "that's perfectly fine with me, cuz I drive my car, bitch!" 

First off, I've never even had a detention in school. I've never spoken back to a teacher, let alone call someone a name! I woke myself up with what my reply was, because I was talking in my sleep. 

Crazy!
  • @piping_panda_mom YES! I’ve been pregnant 4 times, and each time, I had crazy vivid dreams pretty much as soon as I missed my period. I think it must be hormonal!
    Together since '07
    Married since '12
    Off the pill since 5/14
    BFP: 8/10/14 -- CP 8/22/14
    BFP: 12/10/15 -- Prayers requested

• @piping_panda_mom yes, I am having super weird dreams as well. Last night, I had a nightmare where I still lived at my parents house and toys were coming to life. So weird...
  • @bfpafter4years can you suck it in? In my experience, if you can suck it in, it isn’t baby/uterus. If you can’t, it probably is. 
    Together since '07
    Married since '12
    Off the pill since 5/14
    BFP: 8/10/14 -- CP 8/22/14
    BFP: 12/10/15 -- Prayers requested

• @piping_panda_mom The vivid dreams are crazy! I've had a couple where my husband made me mad and I woke up mad at him. Of course, the details surrounding whatever he did are ridiculous so I realize right away it was just a dream, i.e. We were on an archaeological dig looking for some ancient artifact and came across another team looking for the same thing - it took a dark turn as we tried to defeat the other team in some super shady ways.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • eahayeseahayes member
    rmg85 said:
    Anyone else feel like they get a little more anxious in the stretches between appointments? I had some very minor spotting 2 weeks ago (talked to my doc and she wasn't worried because it wasn't bright red or accompanied by cramping). Ever since I find myself getting hit with waves of anxiety about if baby is okay in there. I am 16 weeks today so I know that in all likelihood if something was really wrong I would have had a lot of pain or something. Reeeally looking forward to hearing the heart beat again next week when I go for my next prenatal
    I feel exactly the same. Had spotting 2 weeks ago and even had an ultrasound where everything checked out. No pain or bleeding since but still a little anxious.. next appt isn't for 2 more weeks! Oye. 
  • @blovemama that is my trick as well. I can no longer suck in my tummy to make me not look bloated/pregnant anymore, so I know it is baby. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @rmg85 I am 100% with you. This past weekend most of my symptoms were completely absent and I started freaking out that something was wrong with one, or both, of the babies. Symptoms came back Monday, which kind of helped. I haven't had spotting or cramping, but I don't have another appointment until June 1, and I'm definitely feeling more anxiety. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • eahayeseahayes member
    Question that I COMPLETELY realize may be very stupid-- but here goes! I know we aren't supposed to eat deli meat, which I always considered to be the presliced packaged meat at the store. Does it still "count" as deli meat if it is sliced at the butcher from the big hunk of high quality meat? Freaking dying for a sandwich from this great deli at home and just realized I should maybe avoid it? Until 5 minutes ago I felt like it was "safe", which may have just been wishful thinking? 
    I never had to think this hard when all I craved was ice cream... 
  • @eahayes not a dumb question in my book.  I've considered all cold meat as "deli meat" but honestly... I dunno.  If that type of lunch meat is okay I'ma be so excited cause a good sandwich sounds amazing.

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    --------------------------------
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    --------------------------------
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
    TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

• @eahayes I've eaten deli meat with all of my pregnancies. Honestly, American meat is not at high risk. Cured European meat is a different story. As long as meat is properly refrigerated, you should be fine. With my previous pregnancy, there was listeria in hummus. The one before that it was in frozen veggies. If you're really nervous, heat up the meat before eating. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've also eaten deli meat multiple times.  I'm much more cautious about eating raw veggies than unheated lunch meat.  Probably best to avoid things like a premade gas station lunch meat sandwich because who knows how long the meat had been out and how it was prepped but for something you're making yourself or is from a location you trust, I wouldn't stress.  I also still ate steak cooked medium rare and wouldn't have thought twice about sushi from a reputable establishment if I liked sushi with my first pregnancy . 
  • edited May 2018
    On the topic of deli meat, would you consider a sandwich such as an Italian sub(ham, pepperoni, salami) that has gone through a toaster at Subway or Quiznos heated enough? Or does the temperature not get hot enough to kill any bacteria? I haven’t eaten at Quiznos in years and all of a sudden a toasted Italian sub from there sounds like freaking filet mignon right about now. :yum:
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @pink_polkadots Personally, I think it's fine if it's toasted. I haven't heard that from a doctor though, that's just my own take on it.
    On the lunch meat topic, I agree with some of the PPs that deli meat from reputable places is probably fine. I wouldn't eat it all the time, but if you're craving lunch meat, have some! If you're at a buffet or somewhere where lunch meat has been sitting out for a while, definitely don't eat it. Listeria outbreaks seem to happen so much more often in veggies, as @goldie987 said. It's impossible to avoid everything that could be harmful!
    *TW*
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
  • @wildrainbow and @offtoneverland Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't tried ON yet, but might order a pair to try. I like the ankle pants I got from MM so I ordered a pair online, but I can't remember if I ordered petite and it doesn't say on the receipt. Now I wait until they get here to see if I have to return them. LOL, oops! 
    Me: 34  DH: 34
    Married 10/28/17
    Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1 February '18
    Team Green turned Team Blue 10/15/18

TTC #2 January '21
    BFP June '21
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C July '21
    Jan '22 - started IF testing
    BFP Jan '22
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C Feb '22
    BFP May '22

• @pink_polkadots the “where do we draw the line” part is one that always bugs me about the deli meat issue. Like does cold grilled chicken or rotisserie chicken count? What about chicken salad or tuna salad? Or non meat items from the deli counter or salad bar like pasta salad or three bean salad? Obviously I use common sense food saftey guidelines with these like going to a sanitary place, eating when fresh and stored and handled properly, but if it’s ok to eat those things cold why not ham? It just doesn’t make sense to me. 

• Does anyone have any recommendation on a good sunscreen? So much conflicting info online about what’s “safe” or not. I am a pale redhead and it’s finally supposed to be nice this weekend so I need something to save my skin, and don’t know if I’m supposed to be worried about the sunscreen I normally use? 
  • You want to avoid oxybenzone and oxytocinate (sp?). Your best bet is to go with “mineral only” and as a bonus ones that don’t have parabens or phthalates. 

Here is is a guide from the Environmental Working Group:

https://www.ewg.org/sunscreen/best-sunscreens/best-beach-sport-sunscreens/#.Wwba6hYpDDs

We use Badger, California Baby, Neutrogena Pure and Free Baby, and Alba Botanica with excellent results! 

• eahayeseahayes member
    @lifesabeach85 totally agree with you on where to draw the line! There are so many things I look at that I am second guessing now-- even though they should be fine, my gut worries more about food that's been sitting out (at Whole Foods, for example) than deli meat. Maybe I'm just being over/undercautious about things though!
  • @pink_polkadots Annnd now I’m craving an Italian bmt from Subway. At the tail end of my pregnancy that was my constant craving with mayo and banana peppers. I’d forgotten but you’ve brought it all back  :)