December 2018 Moms
Options

Random GTKY: A Few of your Favorite Things

2»

Re: Random GTKY: A Few of your Favorite Things

• Options
    It's been so fun to read everyone's answers! Related - I feel SO behind on reading since having DD - would anyone be interesting in a Currently Reading or a Book Club thread at some point? I really want to read I'll Be Gone in the Dark (and obviously I am WAY overdue on reading the Handmaid's Tale @AGK2015 and @PensiveCrayon - btw I had no idea Margaret Atwood had a cameo - that's awesome!)

• Options
    Re: “currently reading”/ “book club” thread

I’m down for that. I don’t read as much as I like to think I do. But I love having ideas of more to add to my list.
    Book club would be cool if it’s not actually like a real book club. I don’t want to read whatever book is voted the one to read next when I’m sitting on 3 books of my own I’m trying to finish. “Book club” would be cool if it’s more like a book report. We can share a book we have read (either recently or years ago) and give a little summary/why we like it or are sharing. (Not a summary with spoilers) Along with the title & author. That way even if we don’t have time to get through new books, we can still share why our favorites are our favorites. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    maureenmcemaureenmce member
    edited May 2018
    @tumbleweed-1 Oh yeah, definitely more laid back and no book report vibe! Seems like a Currently Reading thread might be best. Just a way to get ideas and recommendations for new stuff to read (and, selfishly, to remind me to make time for reading, even with my crazy schedule, haha.)

Maybe I'll start one next week! :)
  • Options
    coybigcoybig member
    @tumbleweed-1- Spotted Cow is from New Glarus Brewing Company.  It's located SW of Madison, WI and is only available in WI.  People all over the country have begged me to bring some with me when I travel.  We drink so much of it in this state it's the 25th largest brewery by barrel production in the country and is only sold here.
    there are two motivations in sports, which is yours?
  • Options
    I love the idea of a Currently Reading thread! One way I keep motivated to read (and listen, now that I have a kid and a lot less time) is to do BookRiot’s Read Harder challenge, which is a list of 25 requirements of books to read — eg. a classic of genre literature or a book with a cover you hate. This year I discovered In Cold Blood through the challenge! (Requirement was true crime.)
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • Options
    funny story about In Cold Blood @PensiveCrayon. We read it in my 12th grade criminal justice class, and our project was to split into the prosecution and defense and we all had "parts" and pretended to put Hickock and Smith on trial.  The "jury" was another class, and they actually made their choice depending on how well the prosecution did.  SPOILER ALERT for anyone who wants to read it... My part was to play the friend of Nancy who discovers the families bodies.  It was a pretty neat experience. 

This is a pretty good true crime book. This one is even more interesting for me because it is about where I grew up, if you are into true crime
  • Options
    @Jens_Hoes Oh, related to true crime where you grew up - the Golden State Killer who they just caught was living in the tiny suburb of Sacramento where I grew up - Citrus Heights. My mom and brother still live there! Creepy to know he was living (and committing some of his horrific crimes) in my neighborhood.

@PensiveCrayon Awesome! I think it'll be a fun thread. I'll try to remember to start it next week (or anyone else can if I forget!) after I order my next book to read. (Currently reading Oh Crap, Potty Training, lol, so maybe that's not quite as interesting as whatever's next.)
  • Options
    @PensiveCrayon Gene Wilder is the BEST. I love Willy Wonka, but I'm completely obsessed with Young Frankenstein (because I watched it with my dad 10,000 times as a kid) and my husband actually got me a framed print of Gene Wilder from that movie. It's my favorite thing in the world. He's one of the most funny and interesting actors of all time, in my opinion.

• Options
    hkomhkom member
    @PensiveCrayon @maureenmce Yessss he was the greatest.  Young Frankenstein is probably lying on my list too.  I don't usually get bent out of shape when celebrities die but I actually cried when I found out about Gene Wilder. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I’ve never seen YF but I keep hearing such good things about it! I need to add it to my never-ending list. 
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • Options
    1. What's your favorite book or series of books?
    Ender's Game and the corresponding Bean series, followed by the early books in the Anita Blake series. 

2. What's your favorite thing to do if you have a day off all to yourself?
    Cold outside: Sit by the fire and read or "Tot" (chat with my friends from my first BMB)
    Hot outside: Go hiking or read on a porch swing or beach somewhere

3. What's your favorite place in the world to visit?
    Japan, the countryside especially, Australia is a very close second

4. What's your favorite movie and/or tv show?
    Current: GoT, WestWorld; All-time: Grey's Anatomy (the early seasons)

5. What's your favorite drink (alcoholic or non)?
    Pregnant: Rootbeer Float (why aren't you in my life already?!)
    Not-Pregnant: A glass of great champagne

@deutschmama - I love me some HGTV. I make wooden flowers and he sells balloon animals, our budget is $750K.
    @katzalia - I love southwest Ireland, so beautiful. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    hkomhkom member
    I’ve never seen YF but I keep hearing such good things about it! I need to add it to my never-ending list. 
    Get on it ASAP.  It is legitimately the funniest movie I've ever seen.  Like almost every and any moment you will be laughing. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @hbmama21 omg that's one of the best descriptions of HGTV homebuyers ever :joy: 
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Options
    @CecilB93

There are so many good ones if you image search “HGTV meme”. I don’t even have cable to watch HGTV but I think I’ll have to turn it on this week while I’m at the in-laws just to see what kind of ridiculousness these shows truly are :joy:
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • Options
    @PensiveCrayon My sisters and I share “HGTV be like” memes with each other all the time. Lol
  • Options
    I feel like I will be an outsider here:
    Chronicles of Amber (R. Zelazny)
    Deathworld (H. Harrison)
    Pride and Prejudice (J. Austen)

Depends, but on summer mornings I like to sit on the deck with a coffee/breakfast and enjoy the peace and quiet :)

Somewhere by the water where I can jet ski or enjoy a canoe ride.

Gladiator
    I used to watch "The voice" religiously but lately they've been more about the stories than the singing, so I stopped. Plus they pretty much own those singers if they are successful, which makes me sad..

Mojito 
    :)

• Options
    @maureenmce I like the currently reading/book club thread idea. At this point t may have already started because I think I am behind on posts. lol

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • Options
    like George Orwell's work and Harry Potter 

Thrift

Paris 

Auntie Mame and Tucker & Dale vs Evil are two of my favorite movies. Desus and Mero is my favorite show. 

Too many to list. But Lychee Juice is up there with Mango juice at the moment. 
  • Options
    I read sporadically & all over the place, so I might come back to this.

Sleep in, drink coffee outside while reading. I don't remember what it's like to have a day alone.

I haven't traveled very much! I have many places in the US I want to visit before considering leaving the country. We did go to St. Thomas on our honeymoon which was nice.

AH... so many movies. Let's say Gladiator, Heat, He's Just Not That Into You or Split. TV shows jump all over but all time favorite would be Breaking Bad.

Most Pale Ale's or IPAs (which sound amazing right now) for alcohol & chocolate milk for non-alcoholic although I don't allow myself that very often.
    Married: 6/6/14
    DS: 12/20/16
    EDD: 11/29/18
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Oh goodness. Lord of the Rings/Hobbit, Harry Potter, Ender's Game, The Wheel of Time, Sword of Truth - all of these are series and all of them are fantasy/sci fi. There's definitely a theme, lol. 

Craft, binge-watch tv shows, go for a walk.

New Zealand. It is gorgeous! 

Oh man. So many! Love Big Bang Theory, Breaking Bad, Prison Break for tv shows. For movies... gah. I can't decide. Some of my favorites are Disney movies, some of the Star Wars movies, LOTR, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, 10 Things I Hate About You, The Princess Bride, Finding Nemo.

Well, I drink mostly water and coffee/tea (except not now because bleh. Caffeine. Gross.) So anytime I have anything different, it's amazing. I have to say I love ginger beer though.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I'm also in the HP generation and loved the books.  I think I loved them even more because I felt like I was a part of this world-wide phenomena.  I was in Norway studying abroad when the last (or second to last) book came out, and I waited with a bunch of people from all over the world at a bookstore til it was released at midnight, then stayed up til I finished it.  Beyond HP, I read a lot and have many favorites.  Lately I've been reading a lot of Agatha Christie.  I'd be totally down for a currently reading thread!

I'd probably go for a walk with my dog and read a book.

I am really struggling with this one.  It depends on my mood I think.  Some of the places I've found most beautiful are Shetland, northern Vietnam, and Urbino, Italy.

My favorite movie is Clue.

Wine -- I prefer what I call "juice" wine, which tastes like grape juice, but I've expanded my tastes to basically all wine these days.  I also love earl grey tea.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

So late to this thread!

1. What's your favorite book or series of books? trucksntutus Don't tell me it gets lame after this arc, I'm hooked now!
    2. What's your favorite thing to do if you have a day off all to yourself? Binge watch all my DVR shows that I never get to watch
    3. What's your favorite place in the world to visit? I loved Hawaii when I went for my honeymoon (the big island was my favorite)
    4. What's your favorite movie and/or tv show? Gilmore Girls
    5. What's your favorite drink (alcoholic or non)? Alcoholic - moscato. Non-alcoholic - diet raspberry snapple

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Harry Potter and GoT for series. I'm sooooo upset thinking that George R R Martin may never publish another GoT book. I need more! 

Sleep in, go for a run, drink coffee by myself. Maybe play in my gardens, maybe sew, maybe shop, maybe bake. Maybe all of the above. And then eat sushi for dinner, and watch a movie with some good buttery popcorn. 

Lyon, France, was just lovely. I'd love to go back and spend more time in the area just relaxing. 

Buffy the vampire slayer, Veronica Mars, The Office, Parks and Rec, and Criminal Minds. 

Alcoholic - wine, red or white as long as it's dry and interesting
    Non-Alcoholic - coffee. all the coffee. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    MDKC14MDKC14 member
    Harry Potter series
    Read, sleep
    I'm not sure what my favorite is of where I've been. I would really like to visit Europe. Something tells me it would be my favorite place once I've actually gone.
    Movie - The Shack
    T.V. Show - Friends
    Alcoholic - Whiskey
    N.A. - Dr. Pepper
    Married: 08/04/13
    DS: 11/25/14
    DD: 06/25/16
    EDD: 12/05/18

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I love everything by Elin Hilderbrand.

Read

St Pete Beach, Florida 

I am currently rewatching “Friends” so I’ll go with that.

Usually coffee, but baby is not a fan.
  • Options
    For The Wheel of Time fans: HOW do I get through book 11? Or please tell me that it picks up soon. I feel like the last 2-3 books have just been stuck in limbo and I'm finding it hard to keep going.. I know it's supposed to get better again..

• Options

@runrinserepeat Interesting fact, my cousin was an extra in Veronica Mars for a couple of episodes!!

@omnommer We have a lot in common as far as TV show likes and movies go!

• Options
    Late to the party! 

I don't read so... I did read the 1st book of HP in 7th grade do that counts for something right?
    I'm such a homebodyh, I love to chill on the couch and binge watch a show. 
    I have traveled and lived overseas when I was young..more recently O traveled to Switzerland, Italy, and Cancun. Each have their own qualities but as far as a place I can frequent: the beach. I live only 10 minutes away from the Gulf of Mexico. 
    This is hard, I watch a lot. But most of them are murder/ mystery. Right now, I'm watching Safe ( on netflix)
    Non: pink lemonade
    alcohol: we make a blackberry sangria that is amazing! It's my go to drink all summer long. I'm so sad I won't have it this year
  • Options
    @ab_canada I can't tell you about getting through Wheel of Time. I've only made it to book 10... I just restarted with books on tape because I have a lot of driving for work these days. I'm currently on book 2 again. :) Ha!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @omnommer
    Haha well I guess if I get through this one, I will let you know if it's worth it! Audiobooks might be easier to get through though

• Options

Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins is my favorite! I have a bee tattoo on my arm because of this book :)

I adore painting and drawing, so that’s definitely one of my favorite things to do. I also really enjoy going to sit at a coffee shop and read or write!

I’ve only been around the U.S and Canada, but so far my favorite places are all of Colorado and also Montréal.

Fringe is my all-time favorite tv show, but I’m also very into a Westworld right now.

My favorite alcoholic drink would have to be mead (honey wine) or a good glass of prosecco. Non-alcoholic would be a tie between lemonade and most teas! 
  • Options
    AGK2015AGK2015 member
    @sushilove15 I just saw Tana French has a new standalone novel coming out, and thought of you! Super excited; looks like it comes out this October! https://ew.com/books/2018/05/23/tana-french-witch-elm-preview/ 
  • Options
    @isabellacurran I love Colorado too. It’s incredible.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @isabellacurran MMMM mead.

• Options
    @isabellacurran I like Tom Robbins too. I enjoyed reading Fierce Invalids from Hot Climates last summer and I remember liking Still Life with Woodpecker back in college. I haven't read Jitterbug Perfume yet so I'll add that to my reading list.

Pregnancy Ticker