December 2018 Moms

Random GTKY: A Few of your Favorite Things

I've kind of already mentally checked out of my job since my last day is tomorrow, haha, so I thought it'd be fun to do a random GTKY!

1. What's your favorite book or series of books?
2. What's your favorite thing to do if you have a day off all to yourself?
3. What's your favorite place in the world to visit?
4. What's your favorite movie and/or tv show?
5. What's your favorite drink (alcoholic or non)?

Re: Random GTKY: A Few of your Favorite Things

• trucksntutustrucksntutus member
    edited May 2018
    I'd say my former favorite series was Pretty Little Liars (before it got lame after the 8th/original book)  I really like dystopian type books like Handmaids Tale and such.  I'm also a huge Game of Thrones fan and HP! 

Go lay in the sun or get my nails done or a massage! 

Disney World! Reminds me of my childhood :) I can't wait to take my kiddos there. 

TV show right now is Handmaids Tale *see question 1*  and I really liked Vampire Diaries, Greys Anatomy and stuff like that. Medical dramas.

Long island iced tea for alcoholic. Or red wine. Non alc I'd say probably like, sweet tea I guess, or coffee. Something with caffeine in it. 
    Image result for jackson april gif baby
  • Loading the player...
  • @trucksntutus It's so funny, I LOVE Margaret Atwood, but I've never read the Handmaid's Tale, which is like, her most famous book! (And I haven't seen the show yet either!) I really loved the Blind Assassin though, have you read that one?
  • @trucksntutus It's so funny, I LOVE Margaret Atwood, but I've never read the Handmaid's Tale, which is like, her most famous book! (And I haven't seen the show yet either!) I really loved the Blind Assassin though, have you read that one?
    I have not!!! I loved Handmaids, but the ending of the book was just a drop off which... ugh. I love how the show continues on from that point in the second season, and she's an exec producer on the series so it's very much the same feel as the book even tho there was no sequel. It's such an interesting/ terrifying world, Gilead is. Def worth a read or to watch the show if you have Hulu. It's very dark.   I'll have to check out Blind Assassin (and more of her work) 
  • k_m10k_m10 member
    Harry Potter, hands down. 
    Read and relax. Spend time reading in the hammock if the weather is nice.
    London, England. 
    Movie: “The Sound of Music,” “Gone With the Wind,” and the Harry Potter movies. 
    TV show: “Criminal Minds” and “Big Bang Theory.”
    Alcoholic: A good margarita 
    Non-alcoholic: I had a really good virgin mojito in Miami! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • 1. What's your favorite book or series of books?
    Harry Potter series. I probably shouldn't admit this, but I don't think I've read anything since the last book  :#
    When the weather is nice, I'll take my dog somewhere, usually a nature park or the river so she can run free and swim. If it's cold and rainy, I stay home and veg out. 
    I loved Switzerland.
    Movies I really like are Boondock Saints, Tombstone, and Pink Floyd: The Wall. For TV I pretty much just watch Vanderpump Rules & Survivor.
    Monopolowa & soda, for NA I am obsessed with Diet Dr. Pepper
  • @Hollyyyyy what’s monopolowa 
  • @Jens_Hoes
    It's a type of vodka
  • asun123asun123 member
    1. What's your favorite book or series of books? Every book by Ellen DeGeneres

2. What's your favorite thing to do if you have a day off all to yourself? I either like to take a trip to Target and buy stuff to redecorate or I like to declutter my home and purge all the old stuff.

3. What's your favorite place in the world to visit? Montana. To my family's ranch. 450 acres. I go back July 2019 because my sister is getting married on the ranch! So excited to bring my kids there for the first time.

4. What's your favorite movie and/or tv show? Tough one, I love Wheel of Fortune. Other than that, I just like to watch Netflix shows/movies.

5. What's your favorite drink (alcoholic or non)? DR. PEPPER is life
    Bobby Llewellyn born September 29, 2012
    Kade Wayne born July 23, 2015
    MC in February 2017
    MC in November 2017
    Oliver Dean (Ollie) due December 17, 2018

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @maureenmce I share your love/hate relationship with Diet Coke. I could live with only being able to drink Diet Coke for the rest of my life!!  :D 

@katem987 I studied abroad in London in college and have been dying to go back ever since.

I love to read all genres but murder mysteries and anything with a twist top my list. James Patterson is my favorite author. Summer Sisters by Judy Blume is favorite book, I read it every summer. I also loved the entire Harry Potter Series. 
    I'd like to say I do something fun and adventurous but a day off to myself is so rare that I would love to spend it doing not much of anything, maybe reading, stress free shopping, or binge watching Netflix. 
    I no longer live where I grew up or where I went to college and I love going back to both of those towns to visit. I still have a good amount of friends in both places so I am lucky to be able to visit often. 
    Favorite movie is Empire Records. I don't really have any favorite tv shows even though I love to watch a lot of them, maybe Grey's Anatomy. Mostly because I've watched since the beginning and am so invested in it!
    Red wine and Diet Coke 
    I love any books written by Tana French. Mystery books are everything.
    Lay in bed, eat sushi, get a mani pedi, go clothing shopping, catch up on Dateline!
    Amsterdam! My Soul City.
    Dateline! Every Friday like clockwork. 
    Margaritas, Rose, Shiner Bock
    I’m in the Harry Potter and Game of Thrones camp. HP is total comfort for me. Stand alone book would probably be Pride and Prejudice or one of several Neil Gaiman books.

If I had a day to myself without DD I’d probably read. That’s one thing I really never have time to do. Other than that, just veg out on the couch. I’m lazy.

So far, Maui. I haven’t been to too many places though. I’d love to visit Europe.

Game of Thrones at the moment. Previously My all time fave was Mad Men.

All the German beer and dry red wine. Yumm 
    **June Siggy Challenge - P.I.L.Fs**
    httpsstaticboredpandacomblogwp-contentuploads201702best-dad-ever-chris-hemsworth-thor-589aec291b80c__700jpg
  • AGK2015AGK2015 member
    1. What's your favorite book or series of books? Hoooooo boy that's a long list  :D Can I just narrow it down to favorite authors? Like, top 5?  Toni Morrison, Kate Atkinson, Margaret Atwood, shoot this is hard, Chimamanda Ngozie Adichie, and I guess Anna Dewdney because realistically the only thing I get to read are picture books these days. @sushilove15 I'm with you on the Tana French love! I'm actually not much for mysteries, but she writes characters so well!

2. What's your favorite thing to do if you have a day off all to yourself? Sleep! Or read.

3. What's your favorite place in the world to visit? Florence. Specifically, the Pescaia di Santa Rosa or Pente Vecchio.

4. What's your favorite movie and/or tv show? Not a movie watcher, really. I recently enjoyed Insecure, The Good Place, and Alias Grace (@maureenmce, if you haven't read that Atwood novel you need to do it right now; the miniseries was also great, but book first)

5. What's your favorite drink (alcoholic or non)? COFFEE. WINE. DON'T MAKE ME CHOOSE! I take my coffee black and my wine preferences are (or were, before I got pregnant) pinot noir and syrahs.
  • AGK2015AGK2015 member
    Also, maybe this is an UO, but JK Rowling's Cormoran Strike novels (under the Robert Galbraith alias) are way better than Harry Potter. I loved Harry Potter, but even still.
  • hkomhkom member

Anything by Leon Uris. My favorite of his is probably Mila 18, it is beautiful and absolutely heart wrenching to read.  But I also loved Trinity,  Redemption,  and The Haj. 

In the summer, probably garden, work out,  and go hang out at the pool.   In the winter,  go to a good lunch and maybe wander around a museum or conservatory / indoor botanical garden. 

I think it's a tie between the Florida Keys and northern New England,  both coastal and inland (Maine, Vermont, and the Adirondacks on New York) 

TV I would probably say Seinfeld.  The humor is unique but timeless. I also loved The Wire on HBO.  I'm not much of a movie person so that's a hard one but I'd pick the original Star Trek movies, but particularly Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock, or The Voyage Home. 

Non-alcoholic, tea of all kinds - iced, chai, breakfast, Earl grey, herbal... 

Alcoholic, definitely wine. All of the wine. 

BabyFruit Ticker

I love The Pact by Jodi Piccoult. It's quite dark, and I can usually only read things like that, not watch them on TV.
    Netflix. 
    I went to DisneyWorld once just over 2 years ago. I would go back in a heartbeat. 
    I am a television obsessive. My go to show to play while I do anything (clean, try to sleep, etc) is How I Met Your Mother. I've probably replayed that show at least 5 times through. 
    Diet Coke. 

(I feel like my answers make my age VERY apparent. Sorry that I'm basically 15.) 
    Hubby & Me: Born 1993
    Married: August 2013
    Son: December 2018
    Baby in heaven: February 2020, was due Sept

Another vote for HP. Standalone favorites include Umberto Eco’s  Foucault’s Pendulum, or anything by Isabel Allende. 

2. What's your favorite thing to do if you have a day off all to yourself? Go somewhere to take pictures. Or explore a different neighborhood. Or curl up and read. 

3. What's your favorite place in the world to visit? The west coast of Ireland. 

I love the Sherlock show. 
    Movies? I haven’t sat through a full movie in years. 

Alcoholic: Red wine or a good mojito. 
    Non-alcoholic: Sparkling water, not the flavored kind, sometimes with fresh lemon. When not pregnant, I love coffee. Now I tolerate half a cup because I need to function. 
  • @PensiveCrayon
    YAY!!! Another fan of Handmaids!! Not many in my circle watch / have read it so it's so nice to find those who are into it! :) I made S/O watch it and he says it's okay, I think he mainly watches it because I do. Lol! Although he whines that it would never happen in real life; he's military and he's like "this is so unrealistic!" but the more he watches I think he actually does enjoy the story. 
  • So interesting!

1. What's your favorite book or series of books? Insanity of God but Nik Ripken Every Christian should read it.
    2. What's your favorite thing to do if you have a day off all to yourself? I literally have no idea what this is. On the like one day a year this happens, I binge watch something while deep cleaning.
    3. What's your favorite place in the world to visit? Point Judith, RI.
    4. What's your favorite movie and/or tv show? The office, parks and rec, psyche 
    5. What's your favorite drink (alcoholic or non)? Moscato and peach flavored kombucha. I also loveeeee herbal teas.

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker
         Another vote for Harry Potter series. Also into historical fiction, biographies, and books on religion and philosophy
    Something outside, take a nap, order whatever takeout i want and read. 
    Right now, I would say copenhagen or turks and caicos. 
    I'm not a big movie person (too sleepy) but i will always watch hook, jurassic park, hocus pocus.... for tv, it's parks and rec, jeopardy, and right now, brooklyn 99. Also a handmaid's tale fan, though it is really getting to me more now that I'm pg. 
    Alcoholic- a grapefruit juice shandy
    Non- coffee! (oh how I miss you)
  • hkomhkom member
    morgantu said:
         Another vote for Harry Potter series. Also into historical fiction, biographies, and books on religion and philosophy
    If you like historical fiction I highly highly highly recommend Leon Uris.  Most of his stuff is set in the WWI and WWII eras.  He is incredibly accurate and detailed with his history,  and his stories are heart wrenching but so so good. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• I love this thread so much! I’ve been waiting hours to get home and participate. Lol, I like so many of the shows, books, and movies others have said. Too many to try to tag everyone on my phone right now. I’m also taking note of new books! 

HP, some of you probably understand (not sure everyone’s ages) but I’m squarely in the HP generation. I was 8 the year the first book came out in the states, and it’s beautiful that JK matured her books as we became teenagers. HP is so entwined my life that I honestly can’t imagine having never read it. Single book- I really like “A Whale for the Killing” by Farley Mowat. My favorite comic book series is “Pretty Deadly” by Kelly Sue DeConnick. 
    This one really depends on weather/my mood: reading, drawing, pen & paper rpgs/board games, gardening, hiking, and video games.
    I haven’t travelled far from home, so I’d say anywhere on our state coastline. I love to be on the coast. 
    I don’t really have favorites of this, but I can always watch Parks & Rec, Labyrinth, and the LOTR trilogy. Never get tired of those. 
    alcoholic- beer! The weather finally got the memo that it’s spring and I just want a wheat ale to enjoy it. *sigh* 
    non-alcoholic- probably those boxes of chai tea that you add milk to. I don’t even buy that anymore because I drink them so fast it’s not worth the money. Maybe since I’m not drinking now I’ll buy some of this again. 
  • @tumbleweed-1 I totally know what you mean about hp generation. I always tell people that i grew up with Harry potter. We were the same age in the first few books and I always just felt like we could have been in class together 
    Everyone in my generation reading HP, I never did...I watched all the movies though lol. In high school I was that girl totally into Twilight, read the series 10 times through! Lately I've been reading the Temperance Brennan novels by Kathy Reichs.

Depends on my mood. Sleep, watch TV, read, sew, on rare occasions clean. I do enjoy doing things like sewing or cleaning in silence though, DH always has to have music or a show in the background, sometimes I just like the quiet!!

I haven't been many places sadly, at least not places I'd visit again. I did enjoy the beach (Florida, never been west), mountains in Colorado. I dream of going to France some day, and it's in the plans, just not for a few more years.

Currently, Bones. Watching it my third time thru, it's my go to right now. I used to love NCIS, I've had a hard time catching up since Tony left though. And now recent developments (I won't say incase it spoils for anyone else...) have me wanting to catch up just to see how things happen!! And why McGee has a face full of hair :joy: 

Non - strawberry or raspberry lemonade, or Dr Pepper
    Alcohol - dry red wine (typically Pinot Noir, Bordeaux, Zinfandel) or margaritas (flavored over regular). I can't do sweet wine, it's just gross.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• @tumbleweed-1  @morgantu
    I grew up with the movies! I started out a little bit younger than the characters, and then by the end I was the same age as the characters due to spacing of the movies and such. It's hard to feel like any generation had it better than ours cause we literally got to grow up with the fandom :). I'm also big into LotR, but I never claim to be a superfan of anything because suddenly people will spout random facts or go to Comic Cons and I'm more of an introverted fan aha. (No shade, I'm just not a trivia / dress up person ;D) 

Also, what was better than getting one of the brand new Harry Potter books and staying up all night and the next night to read it front to back? 
    Hubby & Me: Born 1993
    Married: August 2013
    Son: December 2018
    Baby in heaven: February 2020, was due Sept

• k_m10k_m10 member
    @lippy625 I studied abroad in London too! And Vienna (I did a semester in each city). It was amazing. Living in London was just the best.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @CecilB93 one of my sisters didn’t read HP (the other two did), and she was into twilight instead. Once, I made a deal with her that I’d read the twilight books if she read HP. There are twice as many HP books, but I figured she’d love it & it wouldn’t be an issue. I read all of the twilight books, and she admitted that she didn’t even make it through the first HP book. Just this year she confessed to me that she hasn’t even seen all the HP movies *pulls hair out*. 
    @morgantu and @kelseyyh I was a bit younger with the first books, but I’m the same age as the actors, so that’s been fun. I was a grown ass adult dressing up for midnight release showings of the last few movies  :D 
  • I've kind of already mentally checked out of my job since my last day is tomorrow, haha, so I thought it'd be fun to do a random GTKY!

1. What's your favorite book or series of books? Lord of The Rings hands down. I even have several tattoos that are LOTR related.
    2. What's your favorite thing to do if you have a day off all to yourself? Oh man that’s tough, usually I use those to catch up on chores and hulu/netflix, but in a perfect world I’d be getting a mani/pedi, getting bubble tea, eating out, or playing video games.
    3. What's your favorite place in the world to visit? Hawaii, I love the north shore of Oahu. It’s beautiful and so relaxing. 
    4. What's your favorite movie and/or tv show? Right now I’ve been watching Handmaid’s tale and Harlots on Hulu. I need more Hulu and Netflix suggestions though! 
    5. What's your favorite drink (alcoholic or non)? Bubble Tea or Frappuccino’s (although lately Starbucks has been on my post it for not bringing back the s’mores Frappuccino  :/ )

Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageVisit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • I'll be quick here and reply tomorrow.

I love HP of course, but I'm loving Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. I used to read Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle each year but I've really been slacking lately. 

In this order: grab a drive-thru latte, browse Home Depot, buy a fresh bouquet, grab some take-out sushi or ramen, and relax in a clean house.

Tokyo - hands down. It's full of so many treasures, and the best food. 

I looooove Futurama and Star Trek (original, TNG, and J.J. Abrams' movies).

Usually I live on cabernet, but since I'm taking it easy there, I have really developed a taste for lemonade. I have a huge soft spot for the special summer-only cans of Corona -the ones with the beach scene. 
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • krobkrob member
    Maya Angelo’s autobiographies, anything by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie @AGK2015 samsies! I also love the Strike series. UO I’ve never read or seen and single Harry Potter. 

I have no idea. But answering this truthfully today it would be to just sleep. 

Rio de Janiero.  The beaches, the people, the culture and way of life. I also love London!

All time fave movie is Silence of the Lambs. TV show.....hmmm...Seinfeld, Cosby Show (which is so tainted now), The West Wing! what am I talking about we watch the West Wing every night in my house. I’ve seen it all the way through at least 10times. 

Provence Rosé hands down. Nothing is even a close second. 
    Me: 36, H: 37
    FTM, 2 Furbabies
    married 03/17/07
    lived in Houston, Austin, Los Angeles and NYC
    due: 2/15/17
  • hkomhkom member
    krob said
     UO I’ve never read or seen and single Harry Potter. 

Aaahhhh finally a kindred spirit!  I've seen the movies and they are just fine, but I am over here yawning at all the Harry Potter talk. 

BabyFruit Ticker

I like dystopian books, but also true crime books.  There was a serial killer who lived in my city, and the book mentioned all of these places I had been, it was creepy but cool.

Sleep.  Pre-babies it would have been to do something fun like hiking, or boating or something.

The beach. Dominican Republic was pretty. 

I love all things Bravo.  Housewives, Below Deck, Flipping Out, you name it, I likely watch it.  Andy Cohen is my favorite person ever.  I also love NCIS, and I just finished binging Bones on Hulu.  

Pinot noir and champagne hands down (not together lol)  Coffee would be my non alcoholic favorite.

@krob @hkom I was just coming to say that I hadn't read any of the HP books.
  • @tumbleweed-1 I was at the midnight release of the last few books dressed up in corny t-shirts and such. Oy. #nerdlyfe
    Who am I kidding, if there was a midnight release of the last GoT book (if we ever get one) I’d probably be there with bells on.
    **June Siggy Challenge - P.I.L.Fs**
    httpsstaticboredpandacomblogwp-contentuploads201702best-dad-ever-chris-hemsworth-thor-589aec291b80c__700jpg
  • @katem987 My name came from Gone With The Wind!

@sushilove15 I'd love to visit Amsterdam.

@krob I've never read the books either. I've seen a couple of the movies but I'm not really into it. I grew up when the books were out, before the movies and then when the movies were out and it just wasn't my thing.

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018

I loved reading the Twilight Series, Hunger Games, and Divergent. I really like murder/mystery books.

2. What's your favorite thing to do if you have a day off to yourself?

A day off to myself..? What's that? lol What I'd like to do is sleep in, go get my hair trimmed, get a pedicure, go to the gym, come home and chill out. I've probably end up cleaning.

So far, Italy.

I have a few favorites.. 10 Thing I Hate About You, Alice in Wonderland (the cartoon one), Anchorman, ... Favorite tv shows are probably GoT and Big Bang Theory. Neither of them do I watch current because we don't pay for TV.

Alcoholic - I very rarely drink, but I like Malibu bay breezes

Non-Alcoholic - Water!! Coffee.

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • coybigcoybig member
    edited May 2018
    1. What's your favorite book or series of books?  there's a few books of short stories written by the mayor of my tiny hometown that blend historical events into historical fiction plus some of the more recent events that were seen through his eyes or through prominent community member's eyes.
    2. What's your favorite thing to do if you have a day off all to yourself? go geocaching
    3. What's your favorite place in the world to visit? I love ancient ruins.  I've been to Chichen Itza, Tikal, and Machu Picchu
    4. What's your favorite movie and/or tv show? ER, West Wing on tv, Matrix and A League of Their Own for movies
    5. What's your favorite drink (alcoholic or non)? craft beers like Spotted Cow (wheats, pilsners, etc)
    there are two motivations in sports, which is yours?
  • @rosebud332 my SO & childhood BFF went to all the midnight book releases. I wasn’t allowed to for some reason. Also, GRRM is writing a book right not, but it’s not the next GoT, it’s a history of ancient Targaryens. That’s cool & all, but not what we need you to be writing! The show is already so far past the books. 

@coybig your mayors short stories sound cool! I haven’t heard of Spotted Cow, where about is that from? 
  • k_m10k_m10 member
    @krob I can’t beliebe I forgot The West Wing. Definitely an all time favorite.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. Such a classic, I can read it over and over. Also love everything I've read by Kurt Vonnegut and Margaret Atwood. 

Sleep, read, take a bath, be outside, pet puppies if available. 

Switzerland- it's where my husband is from and where my in-laws live so luckily we get to visit often.

House Hunters!!

Alcoholic- an extra dirty gin martini with garlic-stuffed olives (I miss you, dear friend)
    Non-alcoholic- Diet Coke or Rock N' Rye