January 2019 Moms

Product spotlight: Strollers

2»

Re: Product spotlight: Strollers

• @sweetyjenj your sister spends the winters in Hawaii!? Super jealous.  I've never been it's on my bucket list 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Favorite [stroller]: Citi Mini GT from baby jogger!Seriously get it,  it's bomb.  There were multiple people on my previous BMB who ditched their original strollers for it. 
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): it's relatively expensive, but definitely not the most expensive. Nowhere near uppababy or anything. 
    • What you like about it: Super easy to fold, you can get it as a travel system (which we have), lightweight, very smooth to push, adjustable handle, looks great, lots of optional accessories.
    • What you don't like about it, if anything:  not a ton of storage space.  Also just beware that it's not actually a jogging stroller.
    • Is there a [stroller] you don't have but are considering? Why?:  Thinking about what kind of double stroller to get.  I'm totally lost about what kind.  We walk outside a lot so I'd love a jogging stroller,  but you can't use that at first right?  DS1 will be like 24 months and he already wants to walk everywhere, so maybe I need something with a glider board?  Any recommendations?
    • Is there a [stroller] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: I don't know the specific kind but my cousin had a four wheel and I really prefer the 3, so much easier to steer.
    • Additional thoughts on [stroller]?:
    Me (28) & DH (29)
    Married: May 2015
    BFP 1/24/16 EDD 10/4/16
    It's a boy!

• Loading the player...
  • For those of you interested in the uppababy options

The Vista come with the bassinet attachment and has the option to convert into a 2 seater. You can use carseats other than theirs with the appropriate adapter. 

The Cruz does not come with the bassinet, but you can get it separately. It won't seat two, but you can add a glider board for a standing child. 

They are both very sturdy. If you are sitting two, the heavier/older child should go on the bottom for stability. 

The Baby Jogger City Select functions just like the Vista at a better price point. The difference is mostly in frame materials and the fact that the bassinet is only sold separately. 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
    • Lifestyle/body factors that might influence your choice: I can't babywearing for more than a couple months because of an old neck injury. I needed a stroller that would last through multiple children and carry more than one at a time
    • Favorite [stroller]:Uppababy Vista
    • Link/picture:
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):$$$(but worth every penny I spent)
    • What you like about it:I literally love everything about it. It wasnt in our budget when I was pregnant with ds1 but I saved every dollar throughout the whole pregnancy and then paid cash about a week before he was born. My husband fought me on it for so long and now praises me for choosing. We just took it to Disney for a week with our 3 and 2 year olds who both fit very comfortably in it still. I love how easy it is to arrange the seats to best suit your needs,(forward, backwards, seats back to back, we have a message car seat so clicking that in is a breeze as well). The stability is great, large basket underneath. Base model comes with frame, toddler seat, bassinet, mosquito net and rain/wind shield. The mobility is one of the main reasons we chose this over britax.
    • What you don't like about it, if anything:nothing
    • Is there a [stroller] you don't have but are considering? Why?:no
    • Is there a [stroller] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: no
    • Additional thoughts on [stroller]?:best baby purchace we made still using the same stroller 3 years later
  •  @drabong88 yes, they have a house in Maui. I'm jealous too lol it's beautiful there!
    Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • Anyone have/tried a Britax B-Ready stroller? There is a lady who posted one for sale near me and the pics look like it's in EUC and she said it comes with the car seat adapter, parent tray, and bassinet, and she only wants $150 which seems like a steal. I've read some reviews that say it's heavy to lift, but I do like the big sunshade and the big basket. Was holding out for a City Select but those resale for much higher ($300+) and I don't want to spend that much on a stroller for one kid.

@MrsHudson2014 Would you happen to have any insight? Do people tend to like the Britax? Any issues/cons I should keep in mind?
    Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• I currently have a citi mini gt stroller by baby jogger that I've had since 2015. Still works great, we use it anytime we go for a walk or to the zoo. I love that we can use it for walking on pretty much any surface and it handles just fine. (We do like to hike and go on dirt paths with it) The person who said to keep in mind it's not an actual jogging stroller despite the name is correct. You CAN jog with it, but the handle bar will sometimes adjust and the stroller might not be on all 3 wheels at all times so it's really not suggested. I love that the wheels are rubber but can't pop. I love that most of the time I can pull the handle on the seat and it'll easily collapse and fold in half. My sister in law said it's too heavy but I can collapse and lift it into my suv with one arm most of the time, so I don't feel like it's that bad. We didn't get the travel system because we had already bought a chicco key fit car seat. So we bought the adapter so we could attach it to the stroller and then put the carseat in. One of the reasons we picked it originally is because it said it can hold a child up until 65 pounds which sounded great, we can use it for years. Oh, and it has a hand brake! Which is easy to use and is great 

It's somewhat expensive, Amazon says the travel system is 570, I think we got the stroller by itself for 350 3 yeas ago.  

The picture above is pretty much the stroller i have.

I'm not sure if we're going to get a 2nd stroller... or a double. Maybe I'll just get a smaller stroller for the zoo? My dd doesn't like to be in the stroller a lot anymore anyway. She's almost 3 and likes to walk, or run.  

• So really like the Graco Modes stroller but any idea where to register? It seems like Target only sells it as part of a travel system but I don’t want the car seat that comes with it (we want the Graco car seat that has the Insight Latch system). Buy Buy Baby sells it separately but only in one color.
    Me: 30   DH:32
    Dating: 2/2007   Married: 4/2011  
    TTC #1: 9/2016
    *TW*

BFP #1: 11/26/2016 - MC: 12/6/2016
    BFP #2: 3/9/2017 - CP: 3/10/2017
    08/2017: DH's SA = normal
    08/2017: Low progesterone (4.6) all other BW normal
    11/2017: HSG Clear; Pelvic Ultrasound Normal; and AMH, FSH, and Estradiol normal
    12/2017: 1,000mg Metformin
    12/2017: 50mg Clomid + TI = BFN
    01/2018: 100mg Clomid + TI = BFN
    01/2018: RE Consult
    03/2018: 5mg Letrozole + 50 units Gonal-F + 500 μg Ovidrel + IUI = BFP #3: 4/1/2018 - CP: 4/4/2018
    04/2018: 5mg Letrozole + Gonal-F + Ovidrel + IUI = BFP #4: 5/2/18
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @KariAnn323 if you register at Amazon you can add items from any website! Then you don't have to decide your registry based on who carries the stroller you want. 
  • STM here, and I'm curious if other ST+M's have a double stroller they love? I will need a double stroller now.
    I wanted a BOB double stroller when I had baby #2, but couldn’t bring myself to spend the money ($685!) I tried a Baby Trend that looked similar, but it didn’t steer as nicely, or fold down as well, and components started breaking. We tried a few other cheaper strollers before finally breaking down and getting the double BOB. I LOVE it and wish we would’ve gotten than to begin with! It steers so easily, it goes over any surface, but I’d also very smooth in roads and sidewalks. It fits (barely) through standard single doorways, and it folds up easily to go in my trunk. Oh, and 6 years later, it’s still working great with no issues and we have used it a ton. It’s expensive, but was worth every penny!
  • drabong88 said:
    @catlady2015 I bought a Chico bravo stroller system where the infant seat clicks in but you can also use it as a regular stroller for when they were older. It was expensive  (atleast to me ) but we had some awesome friends go in together and buy it for us so we were lucky. 
    This is what we have too... the whole travel system. Our car seat is still good (not expired) so I’m looking into the Chicco Bravo for 2 stroller. Anyone have any experience with that one?
    BabyFruit Ticker

• We had a Chicco Key fit travel system for our first and it was a great stroller for the price. Husband is 6'2" and I'm 5'7 and the adjustable handle worked for us both height-wise.
    This pregnancy started out as twins, so we originally needed a stroller that could seat 2 infants and a 2.5 yo- we went with the Joovy Qool which I love-but it is a large stroller and once it's in the trunk of our forester there was little space for much else. Now we have a honda pilot and the strolle takes up the whole trunk when the third row is in use. Always bring your car with you when trying out strollers. Websites can give you all the dimensions in the worls, but you won't truly know if the trunk will close until you PUT the stroller in and see!
  • @tosh24 So sorry! I don't know why I'm JUST seeing the notification. Britax is notoriously heavy, both for the carseat and the stroller, but that is a steal if its really in the EUC she is claiming. The stroller fold would be pretty big, too, so I'd check out what your trunk space can handle too. 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • For S+TMs: 
    • Lifestyle/body factors that might influence your choice: twins+, daily walks and outings, frequent travel 
    • Favorite [stroller]: With DS1 we honestly babywore almost the whole first year. Had a MacLaren Quest that I loved for times I did want a stroller. When twins came along we got the Baby Jogger City Select double, with two car seat adaptors and two regular seats (just got the glider board last week which DS1 is liking). I also have a double BOB and a double umbrella (Delta Children’s).
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): City Select with two seats $700. BOB I purchased used for $200, but new $650. Double umbrella $70.
    • What you like about it: The City Select is a better price than similar brands, and much more lightweight than the Contours Options. Very convenient to just click the car seat right in, and love that you can configure it so many ways for whichever age kiddos you have. Tons of storage, really awesome canopy coverage, and almost everything about it is adjustable (seats lay back, leg rests extend, canopies/seat backs can be shorter or taller, handle bar extends). It steers like a dream, even one-handed, and is very easy to navigate in doorways or aisles. The double BOB I like for walking on roads (my neighborhood has no sidewalks) and it is nice that it’s a one-step set-up. I do also like the side-by-side seating on the BOB and my double umbrella. The umbrella is very easy to fold or set up, I don’t worry about traveling with it since it was cheap, and it takes up almost no space in a trunk (I have even fit it on the floor in my back seat).
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: You do have to disassemble and reassemble the City Select each use, but only takes a minute. It is also not convenient for airport travel as you need to break it down and shove it all in a giant bag at the gate (meanwhile your kids all run wild...). The double BOB is really bulky and heavy to load in a trunk, and doesn’t fit through doorways nicely. The double umbrella isn’t the easiest steering and needs to be lined up juuuuust right to fit through doorways, plus basically zero storage or canopy coverage.
    • Additional thoughts on [stroller]?: Check out Lucie’s list, Amazon reviews, and ask for help actually checking them out in a store. Or ask a fellow mom you see pushing the stroller you are considering- great way to get honest feedback and maybe make a new mom friend! Also, a lot of FB pages exist for stroller sales by city, so check there for good second-hand options, or make sure to have the stroller you want on your registry so you can use the completion discount/price matching/coupons for it new.
  • @blonde1817 just a note on glider boards: we got one for DS1 when he was around 20-24 months, and he really wasn’t quite big enough and confident enough to use it. I have a few friends with the Joovy Caboose who love it, and it looks pretty awesome for that age split!
  • I'm bumping this because I just had a very educational trip to Magic Beans and figured I'd share my thoughts.
    Some notes about our situation: We live on the second floor of a triple decker house and are veeerrry tight on storage space. There's not much space in the first floor landing so I will have no choice but to lug the whole stroller up to my unit every time. Size, weight, and one hand fold are VERY important to me.  We have a cybex car seat, but we rarely drive if we're just sticking within the city so I appreciate a stroller that comes with a full-recline seat and is suitable for newborns. 

We have previous experience with the City Mini GT (it's what my sister has for my niece) and weren't huge fans.  My husband is tall with very broad shoulders and he found it uncomfortable to push around. I wasn't a huge fan of the fold.

We went to Magic Beans specifically wanting to try the Uppababy Cruz and compare it's handling to the Vista.  Though I really want a smaller, lighter stroller, I wanted to make sure it still handled okay on rough city sidewalks compared to something bigger with more substantial wheels. (Side note: I encourage everyone to go somewhere that lets you take their strollers out for a test drive! Everything rides nicely in a flat store surface but it's invaluable being able to compare how they handle on sidewalks, potholes, cobblestone, etc). The Sales Associate we were working with also recommended the Cybex strollers so we gave the Mios and Priam a test drive as well.

I'm still making up my mind, but I'll just give some pros and cons based on the important qualities to me:

Ease of breakdown/Weight: Cybex Mios was the winner here. It was slightly lighter than the Cruz but SO much easier to fold down (for me, at least) and less awkward to carry than the uppababy models.  Obviously the Vista and Priam are going to lose on the weight front, but one note about those: The Priam can be folded down and then just bumped up the stairs rather than being carried. The Vista would only be able to bumped upstairs while fully unfolded.

Infant Seat: The cybex seat reclines to a fully flat position while the uppababies do not.  But the vista does come with a bassinet so that's nice. 

Car Seat compatibility: Somehow it was way easier to get the cybex car seat out of the Uppababy strollers? I really struggled with getting it out of the Mios because of the way the adapters are angled and because it's a little shorter so my belly was getting in the way. 

Smoothness of ride: The larger strollers (vista and priam) definitely were noticably smoother out on the sidewalk than the other two.  The mios supposedly has better suspension than the cruz but I found them to be pretty comparable.  However, in my neighborhood there's a ton of spots where the sidewalk has a random pole in the middle of it, essentially cutting the sidewalk in half and forcing you to go around. The Mios is the narrowest so I was able to maneuver that situation flawlessly, where the outer wheels in all the other models all went off the sidewalk.

Storage space: The Vista and Cruz have MUCH more space on the bottom than the Cybex models.  This doesn't really matter to me because I'm not going to want to lug a ton of extra stuff up and down the stairs every time.

Overall I think I've decided that the smaller model strollers are a better choice for my particular situation.  I think I liked the Mios a bit more but still deciding if it's worth the extra money (it's about $100 more). Sorry for the novel, but hopefully this is helpful for some of you urban-dwellers with similar concerns!
  • @tosh24 I had the bassinet attachment, and I didn't think it was particularly worth it. By the time I was regularly going out with her in the stroller rather than just wearing her, the fact that the stroller laid flat was good enough for me.
    • Lifestyle/body factors that might influence your choice:  We share one car-- a Prius, so not a ton of space and I wanted something that was compact when folded. I also knew I would not be using a travel system, which meant it didn't need to be compatible (but could be). I have a bad shoulder, and I wanted something that would fold easily. We also walk on trails and such a decent amount where having something all-terrain was nice.
    • Favorite [stroller]: City Mini GT!!!!
    • Link/picture: https://a.co/d/eirIpFS
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): The red, which I have, is currently $250 and change, so... $$?
    • What you like about it: The fold is incredibly easy and absolutely one hand foldable. It's great for getting in and out of the car, but also for easily folding while wearing the baby and lugging a couple carry-on bags when I'm flying with DD solo. Seriously, it is SO EASY and folds nicely small.
    • What you don't like about it, if anything:  I wish the basket under was a little bigger because I walk with her to the grocery store a lot. That being said, I almost never run into an issue with being unable to buy something because of it, we just sometimes have to go a little more frequently.  Also, the tray attachment you can buy is grooved, so you can't suction cup things onto it (toys, bowls, etc.).
    • Is there a [stroller] you don't have but are considering? Why?: I'm almost certain that I will be buying the double version of the city mini GT. I was between that and a BOB, but I don't need a true jogger, and the city mini folds a bit smaller, so it'll fit better in my small car trunk.
    • Is there a [stroller] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: Anything with a fixed wheel only. (one that can be fixed or not is fine). I hate turning fixed wheel joggers.
    • Additional thoughts on [stroller]?: I got the bright red originally because it was on sale and cheaper, but now that I've had it for almost two years, I have to say that I LOVE that it is a bright color when I'm out walking with her (which is alllll the time) because it is more visible! Also, it didn't have reflectors on it, but I was able to put a bunch of reflector tape along the frame, and it has stuck really well!  OH! AND if you DO decide to get the bassinet attachment, get the compact one! I got the other, and now it won't fit on the double, so I'm going to have to sell it and buy the compact one. I wish I'd just gotten the compact last time!
    Me: 30 DH: 32 ~~ TTC #1: Sep 2015 ~~ BFP: Mar 2016 ~~ Daughter: Nov 2016
    TTC #2: April 2018 ~~ BFP: May 2018 ~~ EDD: January 2019

• @kaf1788 I have the Cybex Priam and have been really happy with it. We also have the Cybex car seat. I know it's expensive but the ease of use has been worth it to me. In your situation, having to climb narrow stairs, I'd definitely recommend the Mios over an Uppababy product. 
  • STM+ did you get use out of a double stroller ? DS will be just under 2.5 when the new baby arrives. When I Google this alot of people say it's not necessary and to just let the toddler walk but we still use our stroller all the time. We walk to the park almost every day and I like to use it at the mall. I find it easier then trying to keep an eye on DS. But I just wanted some other opinions.  Someone in a Facebook group near me is selling their city select double stroller with adapter for $200. I think it sounds like a good deal but am now second guessing myself 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @drabong88 I’ve seen people say that as well, but I think it has to be taken with a grain of salt unless you know how much those people use their strollers before. I walk with DS in the stroller TONS and take her to Stroller Strides exercise classes, both of which are so important to my mental health. I plan to get a double because I know I’ll still need to do those things.
    Me: 30 DH: 32 ~~ TTC #1: Sep 2015 ~~ BFP: Mar 2016 ~~ Daughter: Nov 2016
    TTC #2: April 2018 ~~ BFP: May 2018 ~~ EDD: January 2019

• @drabong88 I got a double when I had my second. My kids were only 22 months apart but we lived in a warm climate and walked outside almost daily. It gave me freedom when I was alone with the kids or had to take them out together and I knew the could be contained. My older child also liked to walk at the park or outside sometimes but I liked having the option for her to hop in when she got tired or needed a break. I couldn’t have survived without a double stroller lol I probably would have never left the house!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• @drabong88 I opt for containment more often than not, haha. We would not have gone anywhere the first year without a double stroller, but our age gap was also smaller. The City Select can be used as a single or double, or you could use the single seat with the glider board, so it’s a good option. There are also some nice sit and stand options like the Joovy one, which might give you the versatility you want.