September 2018 Moms
Options

The Baby Shower Thread!

13»

Re: The Baby Shower Thread!

• Options
    smsaulino said:
    Did your significant others attend the shower also? My MIL is insisting DH be present but I honestly don't think I've ever been to one where the father of the child was present. 
    No. He showed up towards the end to say hi and thank everyone. And help put all the gifts in the car. I've never been to a shower, bridal or baby, where the groom or dad-to-be was there the whole time.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • Options
    stothistothi member
    smsaulino said:
    Did your significant others attend the shower also? My MIL is insisting DH be present but I honestly don't think I've ever been to one where the father of the child was present. 
    Nope. Mine was not in attendance at all at any point. But I've been to showers that were like that, strictly ladies only, and showers that were fully co ed and showers that were pretty much ladies only with hubby showing up to load gifts. 
    I think it's like everything else baby shower "etiquette" wise and that it just depends on what your people do and what your personal preference is. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    smsaulino said:
    My H showed up for present opening. Unless it’s a coed shower I wouldn’t expect him to be at the whole thing. My dad also came for presents too.
  • Options
    @smsaulino, at the ladies only showers I've seen the husband come at the end specifically if it's close to their house. It's more just like he's popping in to say hi (and help carry gifts out as everyone else mentioned). I've also been to coed showers, where the husband, along with any other male relatives/friends attend. When I've gone to showers like that they're usually less focused on the games, and it's more just like a hang out and eat type party.
  • Options
    Thanks y'all for the input... It's not coed. It's at our aunts house. Our uncles and DH will be in another part of the house. 
    Me: 33 DH: 31 Baby: 9/2/2018 BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    smsaulino  DH was at our shower the whole time. But we had a mixed shower at our house and it was a casual BBQ. 
  • Options
    We're having a big BBQ with all our friends and some family is flying in as well! So excited  :) My hubby and I work way too much(own our own biz) so this will be a great way to see everyone, which we never get to do. I'm from Norway and the babyshower trend has been growing over the years that I've lived in the U.S. so I never really pictured myself having one. I have never actually been to one! So we're just going to have a big party and skip all the games and such. 
  • Options
    klj0228klj0228 member
    It has been decided my mom and SIL will throw my shower at my house (they live far away) and one of my good friends will be helping. **TW My friend was going to do it all but was recently diagnosed with a rare form of leukemia and is having pretty strong treatments. End TW** I’m thnakful my mom is helping, but worry with them being so far away the ball will get dropped on some things. 

Also, apparently there are all these other people who want to come to my shower that I never considered inviting. The whole shower idea is hard for me because the idea is for people to bring you a present and I don’t want anyone to feel they don’t know me well enough to be invited to my shower. I had a very short list, and now it’s getting longer. I know those people have told my mom or friend they want to come, but that is a lot of attention on me I’m not sure I want. Was looking forward to celebrating with my very closest friends and family.
  • Options
    nlc8424nlc8424 member
    @SkilledSailor my list is pretty minimal and does have replacement nipples and bigger diaper bag haha. I'm not an over the top kind of person anyway so this is not a major issue to come off as gift grabby, but I have a new pumping bag on my list this time since I skimped the last (and it was UGLY), a new pack n play since we gave my parents ours when my mom was watching DS full time (and keep it there for when he visits and takes a nap or is overnight), new mattress and sheets, etc. So nothing really crazy, the "basics" for a second baby, I just don't expect anyone to buy us a crib or some of the higher price point stuff. Like I said, I'd be totally grateful for any/all stuff I get!

@klj0228 I had this issue too for my shower. I think there were like 50+ people invited and I did not care for all of the attention. I think I spoke up a little here and there saying it wouldn't be necessary, but ultimately didn't win. Just deep breathes before and after and be as cordial as you can during the shower is my advice.
  • Options
    samd6samd6 member
    Since we are having our baby celebration bbq so early in the game (it is on June 10th!) I am rushing to get things planned. I have friends who are "hosting" it from our house (since they are out of towners) but I basically have to have everything lined up (because they are out of towners...). We would have waited until later in the summer, but with H being so busy with projects and some of his friends coming into town that particular week to surprise him, it just worked out. He will have just finished the installation on a huge project and it will be a great time to celebrate and unwind with friends and family. I didn't think H would want to have any games going on, but he asked if we could do some sort of baby game. Any ideas that are co-ed friendly?
  • Options
    @klj0228 Oh good to know about Publix! We're actually getting one close to us this summer. 

@samd6 I went to a co-ed shower a couple of weeks ago where guests were given a sheet of questions and circled which parent they thought did that thing. Example: "_______ loved going swimming when s/he was little but only if they were naked". It was funny because the host had clearly gotten the fun facts from the grandparents, because our friends had no idea who had done what on some of those. 
  • Options
    stothistothi member
    @EErin86 that pacifier toss game sounds perfect for a coed party!
    So many cute ideas!

• Options
     @EErin86 I love those game ideas! I don’t think I am throwing any showers for a long time but I am going to suggest those to my mom (who actually throws quite a few showers).
  • Options
    nackienackie member
    @samd6 my shower wasn’t co-ed, but for one of the games my mom asked each me and DH separately a bunch of baby related questions and then went over all the questions at the shower.  Questions were things like How many diapers a day does a newborn use? And What do you think the scariest part of parenting is? The guests had to guess each of our answers. Every one was very amused by some of our answers. 
  • Options
    @samd6 mine is pretty early, too... The day before yours, June 9th. I'll be a day shy of turning 28 weeks. Most of DH's family is flying in and that day was most convenient for them. Also, heat index in Houston will be hitting lower triple digits this week and is only expected to get worse and most of his family has never been to a place so hot. 
    Me: 33 DH: 31 Baby: 9/2/2018 BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    So now I'm having two showers and a dinner thing with friends/co-workers (I don't know what to call that but they wanted to do something small and get me gifts). My husband's aunt who we made the godmother is throwing one because my mil didn't invite her and about 7 others from my husband's family. Then my mil is throwing one. They will both be out of state (we live in PA) & my husband's family all lives in Staten Island. They are a week apart and my husband will be at both of those because of being out of state.
    My family isn't doing anything for us so I am kind of glad his family is making a big deal.

My husbands aunt who we made Godmother also already bought us our daughters crib and my MIL has plans to buy our bassinet as well as a mini crib for their house. She also has bought clothes and a bunch of little things. It's her 1st grandchild and the girl she always wanted sooo..
  • Options
    @SkilledSailor Plan out everything now/soon and see what can be done ahead of time. The main things are food, decorations, activities/games (optional). Anything you can buy or prepare in advance, do it. Figure out how/where you're going to set things up as far as food and seating, place for presents, etc. I don't know about you, but I get overwhelmed super easily when I'm running on too little sleep, and not knowing how things will be with your LO, I know I'd need to prepare and plan as much as possible. But then I'd probably procrastinate like terrible and still get overwhelmed and probably cry the day of the shower - don't be me! ;)

I like lists, and there's a site/app called Trello that I used for my friend's shower recently - you can make a "board" with separate lists all on the same page, and you can add pictures, links, recipes, whatever. I really like using it for planning stuff like this. Pinterest works, too.

I'd have it all catered/buy all the food prepared if the costs work for you. Costco food + good dessert sounds like a good plan. We've also done brunch showers with muffins and pastries and yogurt with granola, maybe one hot dish, like an egg casserole-y thing that can be prepped ahead of time and just cooked that morning. Recruit someone else to help with setup and maybe cleanup.
    2/13 Blighted ovum, D&C -- 6/13 MC -- 8/14 DD born -- 3/17 MC -- 9/18 DD2 born
    Expecting again -- EDD 7/27/20
  • Options
    @magnolia209, how fun! What a sweet group of friends/family to put that together!
  • Options
    I’m throwing a coed baby sprinkle. This is our second little boy!
  • Options
    samd6samd6 member
    @smsaulino how was the shower? Did everything work out? I hope the heat held off at least a little bit ❤️