May Randoms

galactickatesgalactickates member
edited May 2018 in Chit Chat
The new thing dividing the internet

What do you hear? Laurel or Yanny?

www.vox.com/2018/5/15/17357684/yanny-or-laurel-audio

Also.. whats going on ladies?

Re: May Randoms

• My internet is awful, due to a bad storm I guess, so I can't get the link to open, so no comment....

But we went to look at two houses today.  I would have sworn by the pictures, the one was perfect for us, (size, beautiful and charmy, mountain view) it was a crap hole!  I am so disappointed.  The other had an amazing retro bar though.  Not that that is the selling point, but we are seriously considering it.  Unfortunately, it is a bit far from my parents (they watch the kids when I work, take them to school, etc)
  • Loading the player...
  • @galactickates I definitely hear Laurel. But they played it on the radio this morning and the first time I heard Yanny. Now I only hear Laurel though. How weird! What do you hear? 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • I hear laurel. So does DH. 
  • Just asked MH and he says “yarry” lol neither of the options. 
  • I’m team “Yammy”. I’ve tried really hard to hear Laurel and I absolutely can’t! 
  • eleven_eleven_ member
    edited May 2018
    @augusta108 That was me too! I tried so hard to hear Yanny and I just can't. DH had no idea how I can hear Laurel. 

ETA:
    @galactickates DH swears he hears the same thing!!!! Yilly in a creepy voice. 
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    DS:  March 2014
    DD: May 2015
    BFP: 12/24/17 CP: 1/2/18 @ 4w 3d
    BFP: 1/26/18 CP: 2/2/18 @ 4w 4d
    BFP: 5/16/18 MMC: 6/15/18 @ 7w 5d
    BFP: 9/25/18! EDD: 6/9/19 TEAM GREEN  <3 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Plain as day I hear Laurel. H hears Dairy though. So weird! 
  • @offtoneverland, we are looking in a small area of about 3 zip codes, 2 of which are multiple counties, which makes many of the house not an option.  We are trying to stay in the same school zone.   
    And I wish my dog just ripped up toys, she eats them!

I was able to listen, and I hear yanny.
  • I listened again and hear laurel
  • eleven_eleven_ member
    edited May 2018
    The Yanny is supposed to be in a higher pitch. Does that mean I'm getting old and I don't hear as well anymore? DH feels all high and mighty with his impeccable hearing. I told him if his hearing was that great, he'd be able to hear both Yanny AND Laurel!
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    DS:  March 2014
    DD: May 2015
    BFP: 12/24/17 CP: 1/2/18 @ 4w 3d
    BFP: 1/26/18 CP: 2/2/18 @ 4w 4d
    BFP: 5/16/18 MMC: 6/15/18 @ 7w 5d
    BFP: 9/25/18! EDD: 6/9/19 TEAM GREEN  <3 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I am protesting by refusing to click on any of that yanny/Laurel stuff! I'm not surprised people hear different things. I mishear songs all the time, although I think it's the fault of the singer not enunciating. *cough* SiaCheapThrills*cough*
  • suzycupcakesuzycupcake member
    edited May 2018
    I hear Yammmy but the base or undertone of the voice says Laurel or something similar. 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• MH clicked on it on his phone and it was Laurel clear as day. So I think there is some voodoo going on there. Maybe it actually randomly switches? I don't trust it now. 
  • edited May 2018
    I read that it was a recording from the official Vocabulary website, and it was recorded by a Broadway actor. I hope someone explains the science of why some people are hearing different things. It's a good recording and it's enunciated correctly, so who knows what the deal is. I don't know how someone could mispronounce a 2 syllable word like laurel anyways. *shrug* 

ETA: This is so entertaining! I asked MH and he said he hears something between the two. He said the syllable at the end is swallowed so he hears an -y ending. I can't hear anything but an -el ending though. So funny! 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • I had that theory too that it must be playing different things at different times except my H and listened to it together and he heard something different.
  • The Ringer has a good article explaining it. I think Wired also has a YouTube video explaining it via neuroscience. 
  • Found this today and it's extremely fascinating.

https://www.worldemand.com/fun-facts/abby-brittany-hensel

These are the things they share and the things that are separate. 

People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI

• I listened to it again today and mainly hear laurel. I’m not sure why yammy was so plain to me before. 

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI

• meggymemeggyme member
    So I missed this whole thing the other day, but I did see an article where the person that did the recording said the word he was recording was "Laurel". All these visual and audio illusions lately are pretty interesting.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • There is only the four of us. Chit chat died down when ladies moved to their bmb. 

Mine was pretty good! Not as relaxed as I would've liked to have been, but nice. 

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI

• Hi! I'm around, im just boring lol. We had a decent weekend. Did some planting on Sat while the weather was good. Sun had lunch with my parents and then Mon just vegged at home. Pretty standard.
  • @ljmoon6 @holly321 Exactly! There have even been studies about how most employees are more productive when working fewer hours! Or take more vacation days. That stinks they took away some of your PTO, @holly321 Was it a big hit?
  • @SkilledSailor, it is this year, but I just got 11 years there, so I get more days in January, that brings my vacation time back to what it was, but sick is still short.  The bigger issue is their new enforcement of how many hours you have to work to keep your benefits.  I am not a healthy person, lol, I never call out between me and the kids, we have a ridiculous amount of doctors appointments.  
  • HOLLY! <3 

haha no @SkilledSailor This weekend, we are filming. It's production week right now. I'm pulling my freaking hair out trying to wrangle talent and get everything together to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible, but I'm loving every single minute of it. 

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI

• Because I'm bored... Anyone want to play?

• I'm Snappy the royal moonchild. That actually sounds about right.  I am a cancer.... :joy:
  • Bravo the adorable cosmonaut 
  • @doxiemoxie212 that sounds like it would be the name of a popular kid's cartoon  :D
  • Gaia the adorable alien.

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI