June 2018 Moms

Questions? [4/1]

Re: Questions? [4/1]

• I would have tapped out! Lol. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @doxiemoxie212 I am so afraid of not knowing. My mom laughs at me saying "oh honey, you will know" but even when they ask at the doctor if I've had BH, I'm all like "uhhhh idk?"
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn’t know I was in labor - also back labor. I asked my office manager what contractions felt like and her response was, uh, if you are asking you need to call your doctor now. 
  • @amys614 me too! But I love their response when they say I'll know when I'm having a contraction? I sure hope their right!
  • More anecdotes: I was sealed shut and had no contractions until my water broke at 41w for DD. Contractions literally started 15 min later and I arrived at the hospital at 4 cm. So, you just never know.
  • I haven't been on here for awhile, is there a more recent questions thread?  Couldn't find one....anyway I'm hoping some STM's can help me out with this.  How necessary do you feel it is to take a childbirth class?  I kept forgetting to book one and now we're getting pretty close to our due date.  (Side note: for the past month or so I've had this horrible, itchy, rash all over my body and nobody could figure out what it was, finally got a steroid shot from dermatologist and that has helped tremendously.  Just going to work was a struggle enough so I really didn't feel like looking for/going to classes!)  Our hospital offers "condensed" Saturday classes but right now with DH's work schedule there aren't really any that we can take until June 2nd (I'm due 6/20).  I've been reading What to Expect as well as info from a couple pregnancy apps I have, plus we're both healthcare professionals (pharmacist and nurse) so I don't feel like we're completely clueless, but I have heard that classes are helpful.  At this point is it worth it to go for the June 2nd class?  I'm sure we could look for something online as well but I wasn't sure if it's a lot better to take one in person?

Any advice/opinions would be great!  If this has been answered elsewhere and I could get the link that's great too.
  • starla487 said:
    More anecdotes: I was sealed shut and had no contractions until my water broke at 41w for DD. Contractions literally started 15 min later and I arrived at the hospital at 4 cm. So, you just never know.
    Personal vibes mine goes quick and smooth like that :| 
  • @taykc90 as a nurse, nothing was really eye opening for me in our childbirth classes. We had two 4hr sessions. Honestly the only reason I took it was to get DH a little exposure on what it would actually be like. 
    Now, if you’re planning on a med free or no intervention type birth, I would probably try and take a class that would give you some techniques to help get you through labor. Our classes did go through some relaxation techniques but nothing in depth. I also knew I would ask for an epidural, so it wasn’t a huge concern for me. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @taykc90 I appreciated my birthing class with DD.  It was an all day Saturday thing as well, but they talked about more than just childbirth - giving a baby a bath, what to expect with feeding a newborn (stomach size, bottle/boob), cluster feeding, safe sleep, different colors of poop, and stuff like when to take a newborn to the doctors for colds and stuff.  As first time parents it was helpful, and helped calm nerves.  
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @2589 I'm also planning on getting an epidural.  I wouldn't mind learning some breathing/relaxation techniques but I would imagine I could find information on that online/in books.  Might not be quite the same as in person but I would think it would still be helpful.  Are you a labor and delivery nurse?  I'm a pharmacist and my husband is a nurse in the ER, so neither of us has a lot of experience with L&D besides what we learned in school but I just feel that our health care knowledge makes it a little easier for us to do our own research.  Plus DH has seen at least one birth when he was on his clinicals so I know he won't be totally clueless, lol.

@sunshineandwhiskey I would appreciate that extra stuff, however, I'm not too sure that that's offered in my hospital's childbirth class.  They have a separate "caring for your newborn" class that I was going to ask DH if he would want to take.  How did you feel specifically about the birth part of the class?
  • @taykc90 do you live in a busy area? Is there a chance your hospital will turn you away if you’re not progressed enough? If so, you might be med free longer than you’d like. I really love our birth classes but we’re trying for as few interventions as possible, so it’s different. It’s definitely been helpful for DH. 

At the very least get a better book than WTE. That book is trash, IMO. 
  • @taykc90 - birthing/newborn classes are offered online through my local public health department. Perhaps you can find a resource there? 

With regards to the content, we took an 8 hour Saturday class, and it was too long for my DH. He literally retained 15% of it. (but then again, if he ain't interested, it ain't going to stick... so what ever) It was a great class for care, newborn things, (yes they can be hairy, have pimples, icky poops, etc.) and just a good base knowledge so the freakouts are avoided.  I recommend highly for first time parents... but perhaps through a delivery method that works? 

Mama to a wonderful DD - Sep 2015, Wife to my DH since 2011, 2 dogs, a cat, and hoping to add No. 2 in May/June 2018. Canadian.
    5 - IUIs, 3 - IVF retrievals, 2- failed transfers (fresh, and frozen), PGS on second IVF resulted in 1 perfect emby, and DD. 
    3rd IVF w PGS resulted in 3! perfect embys. 1st transfer - Sep 2017 2 more on ice. 
  • @doxiemoxie212 is there a book you recommend?  Tbh so far most of what I've read in WTE is all stuff I could have gotten from my apps (I use the bump and ovia) so I haven't been super impressed either lol.

Didn't consider having to wait until I progress, thanks for bringing that up!
  • @taykc90 I recommend the latter half of Expecting Better to understand interventions that might take place in the hospital and what they mean, etc. Otherwise, a lot of the books that would be better are geared toward specific goals. So like, if you want to learn some relaxation stuff, you might be into doing an online Hypnobabies or Hypnobirthing course. If you want your partner to learn more about how to help you relax, you might be into the Bradley Method birth. I doubt given what you've said you'd be into Ina May's Guide to Childbirth (very hippie dippie, and I am struggling to get through it). 
  • @doxiemoxie212 beat me to it, but I was going to recommend Expecting Better as well @taykc90.  My H read it as well and it was very helpful to understand what many of the things happening during delivery were.
  • If your class includes a hospital tour, I'd recommend it.  That was helpful seeing everything.  And I do think my husband got more out of the class than I did and it opened up discussion about certain topics between us as well (he actually started asking my preferences as far as a "birth plan").

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
    Third Son - due June 9, 2018
  • @taykc90 nope not a L&D nurse, I do med/surg, but nursing school exposed us to the whole labor process in the curriculum as well as clinicals so I’d imagine your H won’t be too shocked by the whole thing. If the class contains newborn care stuff like others have said (ours didn’t) I’d say that part would be pretty helpful. We literally had the nurse showing us how to bathe her the day we took her home  :lol: 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • May14th2011May14th2011 member
    edited April 2018
    @taykc90 our birth class was all about what happens during labor (scientifically), and very little on how to handle it. You could skip it and just read the book @doxiemoxie212 suggested. I would just call and see when your hospital does tours, if you want one. We did ours separate from our class anyway. 
  • Our birthing class was 8 hours long. It was good for the parts which explained the hospital policies and pain relief methods available to you in said hospital. So, if it’s not a hospital you are totally comfortable with, (Eg you live far away from it), then I’d go. 

We also did another newborn care class which covered diapering, swaddling, general care, etc. That I retained more from.

definitely do a hospital tour though.
  • @starla We have the same classes but we're broken down to 3 days, 2hrs
    2 things I noticed they really push is breastfeeding, and speaking up about what you want. Both I really get, but it's just like .... not every woman wants to or can breastfeed :\ 
  • @starla We have the same classes but we're broken down to 3 days, 2hrs
    2 things I noticed they really push is breastfeeding, and speaking up about what you want. Both I really get, but it's just like .... not every woman wants to or can breastfeed :\ 
    For sure. My hospital is “breastfeeding friendly” and several around here are and push it to start. But then you get to pedi offices for their first appts and they all push formula. <shrug>
  • starla487 said:
    @starla We have the same classes but we're broken down to 3 days, 2hrs
    For sure. My hospital is “breastfeeding friendly” and several around here are and push it to start. But then you get to pedi offices for their first appts and they all push formula. <shrug>
    I mean I get all the benefits for sure, and I'm 100% advocating that it should more 'normalized' {lack of better words}
    But I find out at the end of the month if my GP wants me on diff meds - which would mean breastfeeding is off the table, so I really hope if that's the case my OB can ensure the hospital knows and they don't push it :\ 
  • @MissKittyDanger if you end up deciding/needing to formula feed put it in your  birth plan :)  

Most places will ask you during their admission exam if you plan on breastfeeding or formula feeding so it should be on your chart and baby's as well.
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @sabby2 @MissKittyDanger I'm so nervous about how pushy my hospital will be. I'm wondering if I'll get a pass because it is twins and they'll be cool with supplementing formula. Also, when I was in over Easter weekend, there are signs everywhere in L&D about how they're an "in room" hospital. They really push for you to keep your baby with you, rather than send them to the nursery. I was thinking I would like to take advantage of the nursery. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @LaceyBee522 Talk to your hospital, but the nurse in the class yesterday said woman can produce enough for twins.
    From my understanding, most hospitals want the baby with you unless there's something wrong {ie; my mum had horrible L&D so I was in the nursery while she healed, etc - MIL had a long but relatively fine delivery so my H stayed with her}
  • @MissKittyDanger Oh, there's a ton of stuff out there about twin moms under producing. It sucks, but unless your milk comes in right away, your body takes awhile to realize it needs to feed two. A lot of women supplement pumping in order to build up their production. It is a whole thing...

Also, it is funny you say that about hospitals. A lot of the advice I've gotten is to take advantage of the nursery while you can to get some sleep. Because once you go home, it is all on you. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @LaceyBee522 My hospital doesn't even give nursery as an option :( I've never anyone mention if they even have one :\ Might depend on the situation though

Tbh even if my dr clears me to BF, I'm not holding my breath on being able to. I'm naturally high strung and get frustrated easily - plus many women in my family weren't able to for one reason or another.
  • @MissKittyDanger There was a happy medium at our hospital. DD had low blood sugar upon birth so they happily gave her formula upon NCIU admission. (Against my wishes, but I was in recovery forever.) 

We also struggled a lot with latching at first so the nurses had no problem giving me supplements if I asked. And while there wasn’t a nursery, the night nurses took her bassinet for a couple hours so H and I could sleep and recover.

And this was a BFing friendly hospital.

But, girl, if you need to adjust meds to make you well, then don’t worry about BFing. FF is fine.
  • @LaceyBee522 to get the "baby friendly" certification hospitals in the US have to forcefully promote if not completely require "rooming in" -- it's sort of weird because it feels like it should especially be case by case if not flat out the mother's choice. I get that we should be baby friendly, but could we maybe also be MOM friendly? Good lord. 
  • @MissKittyDanger my hospital is similar to @starla487 - even though there is NO nursery, the night nurse offered to keep DD at the nurses station for a little so DH and I could sleep.  I didn't take them up on it, because as a FTM i had major mom guilt that i would even think about that - in reality, i should've taken them up on that offer and realize now how ridiculous i was.  
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Re: baby friendly

I served on a committee to try to apply for baby friendly at the hospital where I work.

The rules are strict, BUT you can bring a pacifier, you can request formula, and you can request that baby go to nursery.  The patient has to ask though and it's the nurses responsibility to appropriately document the resquest.  Rooming in is good for breastfeeding but hey... sleeping a few hours is ALSO good for a new mom and breastfeeding.
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• The only thing about sending baby to the nursery is that (at least this is the case at my hospital,) they get sent back if they start crying. We didn't use pacifiers for awhile, so both kids got sent back to me after about 20 minutes. Those 20 minutes were nice, though. 
  • Rooming In is tricky. For the first 24 hours post birth, I didn’t walk. So, if H wasn’t there, I couldn’t feasibly get to my daughter’s bassinet without being a fall risk. I’ll be using the nurses a lot more this time around and I hope recovery is a lot different since I’m planning the surgery.

But I kind of wish the room-in requirements weren’t so black and white.
  • @doxiemoxie212 Yes! And when I was admitted over Easter, I found some comfort from this sign on the back of the bathroom door. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @doxiemoxie212 I was legitimately worried about this until I was shown the security bands and buttons. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My previous hospital didn't have a nursery, so that wasn't an option. I just had DH move the bassinet close to my bed when he had to run home, since I had a csection. It wasn't a big deal to me. I haven't done a hospital tour at this hospital so I don't know what the options are but, I'm going keep baby in my room anyway. 

@doxiemoxie212 I always think about Dwight from the Office telling Michael to make a secret mark on the baby with a sharpie. 
  • I honestly don't know if my hospital has a nursery or not. DS never got to room in because he went straight to NICU, so now I'm curious about it for this go-around. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • All this nursery talk makes me really hope my hospital hasn't changed. You had the option to send the baby at night. They brought him back to feed cause I was attempting breast feeding. But we took full advantage and i didn't feel guilty! 
    me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby