Baby Names
Options

Amelia vs. Emilia

drurosedrurose member
edited April 2018 in Baby Names
My SO and I both love Amelia Rose for a girl, but I'm starting to panic that it's too popular. We both also like Emilia, since it's very similar, but would everyone just mistake it for Amelia anyway?

Looking for opinions! We're pretty set on one of those two names, since we're mostly going to be calling her Millie.

Edit: I fixed the spelling. I always meant Emilia, I just had a brain fizzle.

Re: Amelia vs. Emilia

• Options
    Yes, I think people will mistake it for Amelia, and it will get misspelled all the time. I would stick with Amelia or switch to something else if you don't like its popularity.
  • Options
    Agreed.  If you're not even going to call her Amelia most of the time I think the spelling doesn't matter and you should stick with the most common one.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would just use Amelia. People are going to assume/mistake that is what you are saying if you use Emelia. Would you consider just naming her Millie since that is what you are going to call her anyway? 
  • Options
    BabyBoyH92016BabyBoyH92016 member
    edited April 2018
    Amelia 100% Spelling it with an E is just setting her up for a lifetime of correcting people. Don’t be yooneek and just name her Amelia. 
  • Options
    Yeah, I generally find the Emilia instead of Amelia to just be lazy "We're so unique" it's like Konnor instead of Connor or Ashlee instead of Ashley. 
  • Options
    Emilia isn't yoouneek at all. This is an older name that is used quite often... meaning "to strive, compete or rival" No different then Catherine or Katherine. Both names are lovely.
  • Options
    Right, Emelia is quite old and not just an alternate spelling. I actually liked it first before he suggested Amelia. I didn't realize people wouldn't know that and would think it was just us trying to be different! That's settled, then, I'll stick with Amelia. Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    I was coming in to add that while Emelia is nice you may find many people misspell it.  My sister was back and forth with Emelia vs Amelia, she ended up having a boy but was going to go with Emelia Jean for a girl.  I personally prefer Amelia but both are lovely names.  
  • Options
    If you choose the E spelling, go with Emilia. We have one. I wasn’t trying to be unique, just genuinely liked the spelling better. Also thought Emmy was a cute possible nickname, although we never used it. 
  • Options
    We're thinking of going with Emilia as well (but not Emelia). I like that it's less common but it's still a REAL name, not something made up for the spelling. What I've come to realize is that everyone is DUMB and will misspell even the most common of names anyway.
  • Options
    drurosedrurose member
    edited April 2018
    Honestly I'm just preggo brained, I very much prefer the Emilia spelling and that's what I would have used. But I think I'll just stick with Amelia. Partially because if I  can space out and misspell it myself, everyone will! Thanks!
  • Options
    Use either Amelia or Emilia (both real names) , not Emelia. 
  • Options
    That's what I meant  :) I have edited the first post so that's more clear.