March 2018 Moms
Options

Sleep Support Thread

Re: Sleep Support Thread

• Options
    mmom3mmom3 member
    @BrittnieMariee what a genius idea!  I also use a heater in my room at night I turn on and keep swaddle blanket wrapped us while feeding so they are warm from Charlie and me that I transfer to the RNP.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @BrittnieMariee very smart. Had to share with my DH. We love the idea. Will try it tonight!
  • Options
    @mmom3 @nancysimp I hope it helps you!  :)
  • Options
    Gonna try too, thanks so much for the help.
  • Options
    @slr1229 good luck! :)
  • Options
    @BrittnieMariee well your trick definitely helped with the transition but won’t brag on it just yet ;) She cluster fed every 2 hours though but I’ll tske the non crying anytime!
  • Options
    @slr1229 hopefully it gets easier for you and LO! 
  • Options
    How's the nighttime going ladies??

Babe is 1 month tomorrow. He is waking up every 2.5-3 hours for milk. He is still congested at night...nosefrida and a humidifier is helping. He makes so many noises at night....practicing his vocal cords I guess! 
  • Options
    She isn't too bad, but I co-sleep.  Much better if I swaddle her.  I haven't really slept through the night since 2013, so I am not sure what I am looking for.  I think if she slept many hours I would freak out.  Love it, but initially freak out.
  • Options
    mmom3mmom3 member
    The first round is about 4-5 hours and then next one varies 2-3 hour usually.  So I get about 2-3 on the first stretch and 1-2 on the second stretch.  Some nights aren’t  as good and I have to hold/nurse majority of the night, but that is happening a little less frequent.  He just turned 1 month on Sunday. Then after the 2nd round of sleep do and 1-2 hours I’m up for the day nursing again then pumping.  Charlie will usually fall back to sleep.  By then My other son is up usually around 6 and my day is already in gear and the chaos of getting ready for the day and to school begins.  
  • Options
    GG620GG620 member
    Night is so hard.  Some nights are good and others are horrid. Last night,  Avalon cried from about 10 to 1230. Tried all the Ss. No luck. She kicks and tries standing her legs straight,  so i t thought she had to poop. Eventually she feel asleep nursing and didn't poop until this morning.  Any advice ladies? I just don't know what to do when she is screaming for so long

BabyFruit Ticker

[spoiler]

Me: 28  Him: 30

Married: 11/15/14

TTC: 02/2016

IF DX: MFI (low count & morphology) & mild PCOS

June 2016 BFP - MC @8w2d

August 2016 BFP - MC @6w1d

June 2017 - 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI = BFP 7/6/17!!

Beta #1 = 422 (14dpo), Beta #2 = 810, prog - 12.3 (16dpo), Beta #3 = 5023, prog - 18.9 (20dpo)

[/spoiler]

• Options
    slr1229 said:
    It takes me over an hour to get her back to sleep after a night feed which typically doesn’t seem as fulfilling to her as a day feed.  She does so so good during the day transferring to bassinet but she is AWFUL at night.  I need helppp
    omg me too. DH returned to work today with LO 12 days old. I tried to let him sleep and do all the night changes/feeds myself and wound up a wreck this morning and DH knew it. She sleeps great during the day and fusses and cluster feeds at night. I was up from 4 to 7:45 am when DH got up. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @GG620

I hear your pain! Sometimes my little Massimo is just really upset and nothing helps....my final guess is gas so I put him on my arm like a football faced down and rub and pat his back to try to relieve gas from either end. I also put him on his back and move his legs in a bicycle motion to help with gas. I also do my best to burp him before putting him in his bassinet on his back. If I don't burp him, chances of his stomach hurting go up. 
  • Options
    Nights are hit or miss.  Mon night she woke up only once- 9pm to 1am then again at 6am (what the heck and yessss) then last night up every 2 hours.  We rock at daytime still, consistent eat, wake, sleep every 3ish hours but once we hit 8pm our witching hour begins.

I’ve learned night is what it is.  I know we’ll get sleep back one day
  • Options
    I know baby has to be flat on her back in the bassinet, but she is so unhappy that way. She instantly gets hiccups and burps that sound wet, like she's burping up and then swallowing it, and just fusses all night. She's much happier during the day in a slightly inclined chair, but we watch her there. I wish we could put her in that at night. We wind up holding and bouncing her half the night...
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @fatstagnation have you thought of getting a rock n play?  It has a slight incline?
  • Options
    mmom3mmom3 member
    The auto rock and play is awesome!  Highly recommend it!  
  • Options
    nancysimpnancysimp member
    edited April 2018
    @fatstagnation

My babe sounds congested at night but Dr says it's normal to have mycusy saliva at the back of the throat...not all newborns do, but my guy does. I have a humidifier going and sometimes add a very thin blanket under the bassinet mattress (where his head would lay) to incline a bit. I also do my best to burp him (doesn't always work) before swaddling and putting him in the bassinet. I use hydrasence and nosefrida before going to sleep and during the night if necessary. Trying to keep the airways more open. Hate the sounds of him trying to breath with mucus/saliva...freaked me out a couple of times as if he was choking. He doesn't have a cold. I also noticed that breastfeeding clears up his hickups and apparently hickups don't bother babies. Good luck!
  • Options
    We’ve hopped on the congested at night train.
  • Options
    GG620GG620 member
    Also have a congested little one, doc said she may have a viral cold. Anyone else not getting anything with the nosefrida or other bulb syringes? I can hear and sometimes see her boogies but can't get anything out. Trying saline too but poor babe hates anything messing with her nose.

BabyFruit Ticker

[spoiler]

June 2016 BFP - MC @8w2d

Beta #1 = 422 (14dpo), Beta #2 = 810, prog - 12.3 (16dpo), Beta #3 = 5023, prog - 18.9 (20dpo)

[/spoiler]

• Options
    @GG620 yup, sometimes its hard to get the boogies out. The saline helps loosen it up, and then I move the nosefrida in a circular motion when using it, and I manage to get the one boogie that was there plus some mucus from the back of his throat. He doesn't freak out so I'm happy I'm not hurting him. 
  • Options
    GG620GG620 member
    @nancysimp thanks!! I'll try the circular motion 

BabyFruit Ticker

[spoiler]

June 2016 BFP - MC @8w2d

[/spoiler]

• Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll look into the rock and play. We saw her pediatrician and he said we could put a wedge, no more than 30 degrees, under the sleep surface in the bassinet. That does help a bit! 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    nancysimpnancysimp member
    edited April 2018
    Hi all....ok I bought a rock and play and my Massimo went to sleep around 11pm and it's almost 3am now. He is very comfy in there but I googled whether it is safe to sleep in there and everything that comes up says no.

He has reflux and I think he's colic and this is the first night in a while that he is sleeping so nicely. 

Does anyone else use the rock and play at night to sleep?

Edit: also do you buckle your baby in? I didn't and his legs kinda looked cramped. I just fed him...keeping him upright for a bit and then back in rock and play. He is really tired and calm tonight because of it.
  • Options
    @nancysimp I used it with my DD1 for nearly 3 months and she turned out fine!  We were desperate for sleep because she hated the bassinet and the rock n play was all that worked.  In my opinion you have to trust your Mom gut- mostly everything on the internet is “bad for the baby”- we take some naps on the belly because it makes her tummy feel better so when she does I don’t nap so I can watch her, my Mom rolls her eyes and says “all of you kids slept so much better on your bellies”

Times are are just different now!  My difficulty with the pack n play was transitioning to a crib, otherwise go for it.
  • Options
    @nancysimp Jeffrey hated sleeping flat in his back when he first came home and would scream within minutes of putting him down. I had a RNP however since it wasn’t considered safe for sleep I was concerned. I did a little more research and I purchased a bassinet that has two incline positions-SwaddleMe By Your Bed Sleeper
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MRV77ZP/ref=mp_s_a_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1523617693&sr=8-3&keywords=swaddle+bassinet&dpPl=1&dpID=41o3EvrvnpL&ref=plSrch

Jeffrey appears to like it much better and will actually sleep
    in it. 

• Options
    @nancysimp my guy sleeps in a rock n play,  not buckled, with a fleece blanket underneath kind of lining the Rock and play. It works we both sleep so I feel like it's a win for now. I will put him in his crib at 8 weeks.
  • Options
    I have used a rocknplay with all my kids.  This is actually the first time I have heard it isn't safe for sleeping.  Granted I've never googled that.  My aunt, who is a postpartum doula, was the one that recommended it to me with my first daughter.  I think it sounds like the RNP really helped him. I am glad he got some quality sleep.  I am curious if you see in an improvement in his fussiness today.
  • Options
    Sleeping in the RNP is like sleeping in their car seat.  The incline "could" make their chin rest against their chest and close their airway.  I've known tons of people who used their RNP as a bassinet with no problems but I do also have one friend who stopped using it altogether when she found her daughter in distress.  As previously stated, you know your baby best and what works for your family.   I just wanted to share what I know about potential dangers.
  • Options
    mmom3mmom3 member
    I’ve used the RNP with my first son and now again with Charlie for sleeping right next to my bed.  He sleeps in there and what little bit I can get when he’s sleeping in there I take! 
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I will see how he behaves today after getting some good rest. He even slept this am for 2.5 hours I just fed him and now he's resting on my chest half asleep. Its as if he wants to catch up on sleep. So calm. Don't want to jinx it but my poor baby is usually upset around now squirming or crying because of gas etc.
  • Options
    @nancysimp yay!  Bet you feel great!  

Are yalls kids consistent with their MOTN feedings?  Last night she slept 8-2 am then again at 530- which if I’m following the baby wise schdxule for her she, she dropped a feeding, but tonight she went 8-12.  Bet she’ll be up again around 230:3.  When do we start seeing more consistency at night?  
  • Options
    @slr1229.  Nope, ours are on demand every 3 to 4 hours and it varies night to night.  Perhaps someday it will be around the same time!
  • Options
    @nancysimp that's awesome!  I hope these good days continue.

@slr1229 we are still all over the place.  Some nights are good and some are terrible.  My girl likes to nurse and fall asleep which starts a bad pattern for the night.  I need to push a full feeding.
  • Options
    mmom3mmom3 member
    I have to wake every 4 hours still due to breast milk Jaundice (6 weeks).  He typically will do a full feed around 8ish and then by 9:30 is asleep for the first stretch which I have to wake him for and he doesn’t like it so I’ve pushed it back to 5 hours and still wake him.  I think he’d go longer if I let him. So about 1ish we are up sometimes for a half hour or 2.5 hours.  It all depends and then he goes back to typical eating pattern of every 3 hours so we are up between 5:30/6 am.  But there are still nights that are all over the place as well.  I think it’s about 8 weeks before some sort of schedule starts to emerge or supposed to start?  
  • Options
    @slr1229, my understanding is weeks 1-6 not to expect consistency.
  • Options
    I still cant establish a good bedtime feed.  Her witching hour starts at 7 and it takes us until 830 to get her to sleep then she wakes around 9 but gets a half assed feed then we’re up every 2 hours- most of them she’s just checking in and nurses for maybe 2 minutes on one side.  All this with changing diaper in between and tickling etc.  I’m chalking it up to the beginning of the night not going well.