June 2018 Moms

STM+ Check In [April]

Re: STM+ Check In [April]

• @kmurdock925 thank you for that! That definitely does put things in a different perspective that I didn’t think about. I know, after those first 6 months (lol), things will settle and we will figure out our new groove. It’s those first 6 months of survival that are terrifying haha
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'll keep your friends and their baby in my prayers, @Xtabbikatx.  If they haven't looked into Mended Little Hearts yet, you can suggest that.  It's a great way to network and to meet other heart families who know what they're going through.  Is this their first child?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
    Third Son - due June 9, 2018
  • Loading the player...
  • @mytinc, no it is their 3rd. She is a PICU nurse so she does have a lot of resources available to her. I talked to the husband yesterday and he said their biggest stress right now is where to stay while he is in the hospital (anticipating a month) and child care for the older ones. Luckily I have family in the area they are going to be and was able to tell them that if they needed a place they would have one. Also we are going to volunteer to be back up to the primary babysitters. Especially if one kid gets sick at daycare or something. I'll be home on maternity leave and my mom will be there so I can help a little more. 
  • @Xtabbikatx - If they haven't looked into a Ronald McDonald House yet, they should.  We stayed at one during DS2's in patient stays.  It was available for anyone that lived more than 50 miles from the hospital.  I didn't know much about the RMH before having to use it, and I'll say it's an amazing charity.  Essentially, it's not income based and the one we were at requested $20 a night or whatever people could give.  We were fortunate enough to be in a position to give more than the requested amount, but they told us at check in that some people can't pay at all or by the time they leave their donation was about $1.00 a night.  There were families that were there for more than 6 months while their kids were hospitalized.  It was convenient because it was right across the street, and provided a place to stay as well as free meals for families. When you're under that stress, it's amazing to not have to think about things like that. 

The hospital where their LO will have surgeries should have information if one is nearby, or at least have other suggestions as I'm sure not the first family in this situation.

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
  • @mytinc, they looked into it, but they can't register for it until their son is born. Worried that they might not have room last minute like that. The house won't even put their names down until the baby has been admitted to the hospital. 

They are both type A personalities and like to plan. Trying to reassure them that they will not be homeless or paying out the nose for a hotel. 
  • Gotcha @Xtabbikatx - Our RMH was like that as well.  Some sites are larger than others, so it can be hard to plan.  We were fortunate to never have an issue getting in.

First Son - born 2013
  • How far along are you? What size is baby?
    29 weeks and 2 days - Pineapple

How old are your other children?
    DD -7, DS - will be 5 on Monday. :(

How are you feeling
    I'm feeling super pregnant all of a sudden. It's like I hit the 3rd Trimester, and all the symptoms associated with the 3rd Trimester all started at the same time! I have heartburn all the time, My back is killing me, there is so much pressure on my pelvis it hurts standing up, and my dreams are so vividly crazy I can't sleep through them and they're so jarring that once I have a crazy dream, I can't go back to sleep. Needless to say, I'm exhausted!

Any Questions? Rants? Raves?
    I want to enjoy this pregnancy because it is officially my last, but I'm struggling to enjoy it anymore.  I'm trying not to wish time away and I have very little ready for the baby, so I need this time, but I'm so uncomfortable.

How do you plan on introducing your LO to your other kids?
    I'm not sure how this will work.  My in-laws are coming to town for the baby to be born, but I'd really like the big kids to have a chance to meet their baby sister before the in-laws come in.  I wanted this last time too and it didn't happen the way I wanted.  I need to be more clear with my wishes this time, but I just don't know how we will pull that off without offending my MIL because she'll want to be there when the big kids meet their sister too. 

GTKY: What is one thing you are most looking forward to again with a LO? And least?

That sweet baby smell and the feel of baby's head on my cheek! I'm also really looking forward to seeing my older kids with their baby sister.  My son is such a tenderhearted little guy and I know he's going to be the sweetest big brother to her.  My daughter is so excited this time and that is such a change from the last time we went through this as a family! Obviously, I'm most worried about the sleep for me! I'm already pretty used to functioning on little sleep, but I know this will be even worse. DH has expectations that we are going to do all sorts of fun things this summer and be out and super active, and I'm just worried that he's going to be super disappointed in me for not being able to keep up. I'm must older this time than I was last time I did this and I don't think I'm going to bounce back quite as quickly. I keep bringing that up to him and he thinks I'm just making excuses.  I hope he's right.

EDD 6/18/18
    DD=10/5/10 DS=4/9/13
  • I just need to throw this out there to gage how I'm feeling compared to everyone else. It's been 5 years since I've birthed a baby. I chose to attempt a med free hospital birth the first 2 times and was able to achieve my goal.  I would like to be able to do this again with #3, but I want to throw out there that I am more terrified than I ever have been before of being able to do this! I don't know why! and it's just really up in my head right now! It's like I've been so hyper-focused on being pregnant and all of that because it took us so long to get to this place, that now that delivery is right around the corner, I'm having a bit of a panic attack over it all.  Is anyone else starting to freak out about the actual birth part yet?

EDD 6/18/18
    DD=10/5/10 DS=4/9/13
  • jsl82jsl82 member
    @murraydog2008 we did our hospital tour yesterday (and I was so spoiled with the brand new hospital I had DD at last time).  While waiting for the tour to start, looking around the lobby at the other pregnant women I just got scared.  I haven't been scared about giving birth at all- and I'm not going med free as I've been dreaming of my epidural nap since my BFP- but I'm still scared.  I think the realization that this is actually about to happen just hit me.  Honestly, I just keep reminding myself that the giving birth part is the easy part- we have to go home with these little ones when we are done.  

me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
    BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
    BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• @murraydog2008 I was thinking about it last night how you go to the hospital and they immediately want to stick an IV on you, hook you up to the HB and contraction monitors, and sometimes a BP cuff and how it turns into a whole production just for you to go to the bathroom. Just thinking about it was kind of stressing me out. I don't know how to ask for that not to happen without seeming combative or unwilling to comply to their regulations. I just don't want to go in and be trapped to a bed like last time and having to press a button for help anytime I want to move. When they broke my water they stuck that thing on baby's head to monitor him and then I wasn't allowed to get up again at all. No one asked if they could do that, they just did it. Yeah, typing that has my nerves up again. I want to do what they want me to do, but surely there's some kind of happy medium there where I have some say about it? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @murraydog2008 I don't think I've got to the panic stage yet, but I assume it will hit at some point. First time around, I was obsessed with birth stories, relaxation techniques for med free and preparing for labor. This time its the opposite! I feel like I'm burying my head in the sand and don't want to think about the birth.

I think its because my labor didn't go anything like I expected, but it wasn't a traumatizing experience. I also attempted med free first time, but got the epidural after 36 hours. Beforehand I was really scared about the epi needle/cath/possibility of slowing down labor...but in the moment it was NBD. I had a vision of how I wanted the birth to go, but I learned that *for me* it didn't really matter once I had my baby in my arms (and we were both healthy). So my perspective this time is more "whatever happens happens". I'm also panicking more about leaving my toddler the first time so maybe that's blocking out the actual giving birth part...haha.

@jsl82 I couldn't agree more! I'm much more nervous about meeting all the needs of a newborn and a toddler!

@Austenista Did you write up any kind of birth plan? I did a really simple and short one  (and I don't think anyone but the first nurse we had actually read it). On mine, I asked for a heplock and intermittent monitoring so I was only hooked up to monitors 20 minutes of every hour. One of my biggest fears was that trapped feeling! For me, having it written out and addressing it when I got there made it easier for me to ask, and not feel like I was going against medical advice.
  • Hey ladies I haven’t posted on this thread before, but now that things are getting close I’ve got more time. 

Im 31 weeks today, CS scheduled on June 1st. DD will be 21 months when new baby comes. Lately she has gotten super attached to me where she goes around saying mama and cries if I can’t hold her. I don’t know if it’s normal attachment or if she knows there is a big change coming. Last night I was getting a drink and put her down and she threw a huge tantrum and hit her head. I’m worried about the transition with a new baby! I’m going to be limited with picking her up and how we snuggle for a few weeks due to the CS. Every day I talk to her about the baby in my tummy and she gives her a kiss and says hi baby but I know she still probably doesn’t understand that much. Whenever anyone hears how close they will be they give me one of those looks. Sorry the luxury of age/time wasn’t on our side. Sorry for the run on! As for how to introduce in the hospital I’m not sure. I really think if my mom brings her in she will freak out when it’s time to leave so we shall see. 

• @katie121209 DD is 23 months today and has been in a super huge, mommy only, stage 5 clinger mode for the last few months. I feel like it's gotten progressively worse as we're getting closer to our due date. We too have tried talking to her daily about baby but she could truly care less. I agree it's going to be a rough transition so DH and I have decided when she meets DS at the hospital it will only be us, no grandparents or visitors and DH will drive her to and from my IL house. We also got a special stuffed buddy (bc she is obsessed with buddies) for her "from DS". My mom did that with me with each of my siblings as I too am the oldest and she said it helped the transition a bit so I figure it's worth the try.
  • @katie121209 @momac1919 DS is 21m too and is obsessed with me lately. It’s super frustrating at time but I’m trying to soak it in because as soon as DS2 arrives he’s going to look so big. DD is 22m older than DS1 and it’s a wonderful age gap. They play together all the time, never stop talking to each other and have such a strong relationship. Honestly, the hardest part for me with the age gap was that DD was a late talker and it was very frustrating for us both to not be able to communicate. To prepare DD for us being apart after birth, we had DD have a “sleepover” at my parents a couple times before DS was due. That way she would be comfortable with the idea and it was a fun, exciting thing to do. 
    DD:3 | DS:1
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    32+4, some sort of armadillo

DS is 3.5 and DS1 is 21m

How are you feeling
    Hemmeroids have made an appearance which sucks but otherwise just achy and tired. 

I’m ready for this pregnancy to be over. Idk how my stomach is going to fit 6/7 more weeks of growth. 

We will have my parents bring them to the hospital once we are all settled in the recovery room. I feel like there were a bunch of people in our room when DD was introduced to DS which was great because we ended up getting a lot of great pictures from everyone. 

GTKY: What is one thing you are most looking forward to again with a LO? And least?
    Those tiny little fingers and toes. The way they are their backs when you pick them up. That sweet baby smell. I’m excited to see DS1 as a big brother. He’s such a sweet little boy, he’s going to make a great big brother. DD is excited to have a little baby around. Not looking forward to the lack of sleep or having two other little toddlers running around being loud all the time. 

DD:3 | DS:1
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • murraydog2008 - I'm not so much worried about the birth.  I'm very much of the "whatever happens happens" mindset, and was last time too.  My labor was only about 4 hours last time and I was 10cm when I got to the hospital.  With that being said- I want to stay at home for as long as possible again but then I worry about waiting too long and not making it in time. 

With that being said- if you've gone med free before from everything I've heard,  unless the circumstances/position of the babe are much different, you can certainly do it again (what I'm going for this time). 

• jsl82jsl82 member
    me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• I'm not getting anxious for the birth as I'm figuring it will be an induction again. The only thing that would make me panic is if I actually went into labor on my own as I've never done that before.

First Son - born 2013
  • @momac1919 I always call my little guy a stage 5 clinger   :D haha...
  • Me too @mytinc ! I am literally counting on knowing when this is all going down so I can calmly walk to the exit, and get DD squared away. And casually take the 12 -15 minutes to hospital. And of course, have my epidural nap. Prepared to take my time, and hopefully repeat the experience I had previously. It was great!

My fears around the arrival have more to do with juggling the feelings of everyone else. DD, DH, MIL, my folks (in case they aren't back from Europe when this all goes down) my sister, who is not speaking with my folks at the moment.... 

When DD was born, there was so much baggage, and opinions, and family weirdness. And then DH went to work 4 days after she was born, we had been home 2 days. And I had some lovely time to myself. This time he is talking about hanging around for 2 weeks after! WHAT? He is so impatient, and can check out when he is bored, that it makes me mad. Add in the post partum hormones, and it may be him I lose my isht on. 
    Mama to a wonderful DD - Sep 2015, Wife to my DH since 2011, 2 dogs, a cat, and hoping to add No. 2 in May/June 2018. Canadian.
    5 - IUIs, 3 - IVF retrievals, 2- failed transfers (fresh, and frozen), PGS on second IVF resulted in 1 perfect emby, and DD. 
    3rd IVF w PGS resulted in 3! perfect embys. 1st transfer - Sep 2017 2 more on ice. 
  • You're welcome to jump in anytime @kas80:)

First Son - born 2013
  • @murraydog2008 I wouldn't say I'm panicking or anything, but I am surprised by the fact that I feel more nervous this time around. I felt very calm with my first. That birth experience turned out to be pretty dramatic (in that it was early and very fast and featured more ambulances than I had hoped for), but like...I totally did it, I found it survivable, etc. But for some reason it was easier for me to not know what to expect. Having some expectations for what the experience will be like time has heightened the anxiety/anticipation a bit. And I think I'm also worried that it will be totally different this time. I mean, I found contractions manageable last time...but what if this time they feel completely different?!?! I don't know. I thought knowing for certain I could do this thing would make me feel very chill, but it's not really turning out that way.
    Me: 34 
    Husband: 35
    Married: June 2007
    Son Max born 1/10/17
    BFP #2: 10/5/17; EDD: 6/11/18
  • I’m glad to know I’m not alone with the super clinginess. 

@rnielsen321 my DH is taking two weeks off also. It should be interesting. Last time he had to go back to work before I was discharged and my mom took a month off to stay with me and help. I keep asking him if he’s aware that this won’t be a two week vacation to play video games and nap!! 
    29 weeks 3 days
    5 year old boy and 7 year old girl
    How are you feeling
    Tired and sore. Lots of pelvic pain. I wish I could get comfortable.
    If one more person comments on how big my stomach is I’m going to karate chop them!
    We are taking a hospital class to slowly get them used to having a baby around. 

I’m looking forward to the little snuggles that my older kids don’t be do as much. I’m not looking forward to changing diapers.
  • @mytinc same here. Since I'm a scheduled csection, I'm not really nervous for that (just not looking forward to a few things). But I ammmm anxious about going into labor before than. Cause even after being induced last time, I never really felt labor... and REALLY don't want too. Especially with a 5 yr old here and a dh that could be working god knows where that day. I wasn't even considering this even happening but mil keeps saying 'oh 2nd babies could come earlier!' But I keep telling her I think that's cause your body already knows HOW to do it. My body refused to even try last time so I'm thinking it won't. I'm hoping she's wrong, and I'm right here.
    me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • @catlady1215 I feel the same way!! No labor before scheduled c section! I hope our bodies cooperate! 
  • @katie121209 yeesss! Fingers crossed! 
  • @catlady2015 and @katie121209 I had a scheduled Csection with DS, and he came 2 weeks before that. He tried to come at 30 weeks, but was actively coming at 37 weeks. They made me wait as long as they could before doing the csection because I had lunch and they wanted to wait until my stomach was mostly empty. It wasn't the worst thing ever, but not the best either. 
  • @may14th2011 uuuugh!! Don't wanna lol. This babe better stay put. 
  • I am literally having "keep baking little one" pep talks with this one. He is HUGE, and this pregnancy feel so different. The way I am carrying, the kicking, the fact that my folks are in Europe until 35 weeks, and MIL is over 2 hours away.  I just don;t want any surprises please... 
    Mama to a wonderful DD - Sep 2015, Wife to my DH since 2011, 2 dogs, a cat, and hoping to add No. 2 in May/June 2018. Canadian.
    5 - IUIs, 3 - IVF retrievals, 2- failed transfers (fresh, and frozen), PGS on second IVF resulted in 1 perfect emby, and DD. 
    3rd IVF w PGS resulted in 3! perfect embys. 1st transfer - Sep 2017 2 more on ice. 
  • @rnielsen321 I have that same pep talk in my head daily because physically I just feel so over this pregnancy and so much more beat up and run down than I did with DD...I just keep telling myself it's not that much longer and if I've gotten this far I can finish it out without a problem
  • @May14th2011 so were you having labor pains for hours?

im hoping that bc DD was induced at 41 weeks maybe that means I won’t go earlier?

So this probably seems silly but part of my anxiety about going into labor before the date is not getting one of my preferred doctors. My last c-section one of the doctors left placenta in me so I had to have a D and C 8 weeks later. And two of the other doctors have some really crappy bedside manner. So that leaves 4 that I like and I’m scheduled with one of my two favs lol. 
  • Do STMs tend to go earlier than FTMs?  Everything I've seen says no, but I don't know if anyone has heard otherwise.
  • @marcus7676 there is no rhyme or reason. SIL was 5 weeks early with her first and a week late with her second. My mom was a week early with me, on her due date with number 2 and 2 weeks early with number 3. And then there was my coworker who was 4 weeks early with number 1 and 10 weeks early with number 2. So really anything can happen as far as that goes, the only thing I've consistently heard was that labor is quicker each time.
  • Oh man I have to count on this little person staying put until the c-section. DH will be in a different state until the day before. My mom won't be coming down until the weekend before and my closest family is 2.5 hours away. I don't really have a plan in place for what to do if something happens early
  • @marcus7676 - I don't think STMs have babies sooner in regards to the due date, but I think the labor is generally shorter than a first time labor.

First Son - born 2013
  • jsl82jsl82 member
    I feel like I'm in the complete opposite end of the spectrum than all of you- I keep looking at my bump and telling him to get out.  I want my body back... everything hurts (so much more than I remember hurting with DD).  I pulled a muscle in my shoulder (i think just from sleeping on my side) and I can't do anything for the pain except wait for LO to leave my body so I can take some Motrin (sorry Tylenol but you are basically worthless in my eyes) and resume stomach sleeping.  DD wants to be held or still needs to be carried everywhere... and the extra weight is just too much for me at this point.  I have to remind myself everyday that I need to allow him to cook for another 6 weeks- but in 5 weeks I am going to start DID with DH again, going on longer walks than my back would normally allow, and any other Old Wives Tales that help get baby moving. 

I'm hoping that he comes around 38 weeks like his sister did- and I'm relieved that STM labor is typically shorter than FTMs since I was in labor at the hospital for 18 hours.  I want my epidural nap, but a 6 hour labor (with a 4 hour nap since it is the last time I will get to sleep for 4 straight hours for a while) seems pretty ideal to me.  Oh if only these LOs would labor exactly as we are hoping.

@katie121209 I completely hear you on wanting one of your favs- and making sure LO comes when they are scheduled.  With DD we did the normal tour de practice of our OB office, and liked most of the doctors- except for one.  When we called the on call Dr was one of my favs, but because my labor continued for another 18 hours we go stuck with the one I didn't like.  I understand that there were 10 births - of which 5 were c-sections that day.  And he had performed just finished a c-section, but when he came into my room as they were prepping me to start pushing, he sat (more like slumped) in the chair like he was going to take a nap.  Sorry but I would like to feel like my delivery is important and deserving of your attention too.  Nothing was wrong with the actual delivery- but bedside manner is so important.  We are in a new practice this time, and so far I have only seen 2/3 of the doctors... and like them both.  FX that we both get doctors we like this time.  Also, getting worried about the nurses on duty when we are there.  With DD I liked all my day nurses but HATED the night nurse.  I almost care more about the nurses than I do the doctor, since I'm with them longer.  
    me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• @jsl82 agreed that Tylenol is a joke!!! I’m sorry you are so uncomfortable so hopefully your baby makes it’s appearance at 38 weeks! And agreed that the weight of carrying our DDs is rough. Mine is only about 25 pounds but going up and down the stairs with her is exhausting.