August 2018 Moms

Breastfeeding prep?

2»

Re: Breastfeeding prep?

• I had a jaundiced newborn who fell asleep at the breast and couldn't figure out the latch right away (thick frenulum, never corrected). I tried the breast shields and had to supplement from the very beginning but I honestly believe syringe feeding those first few weeks vs. using a nurser formula bottle or any bottle for that matter saved my nursing relationship. When she finally did figure out how to nurse we both enjoyed it. Some FTM's may not realize syringe feeding is a thing (I sure didn't)  and if you do have to supplement a bottle isn't necessary at all.  Using a medication syringe you give the baby formula like you would any liquid medicine, measure it and squirt slowly in their mouth. 

Also, there is a device called a Supplemental nursing system that allows you to deliver formula via the breast through a tiny tube that you stick in baby's mouth while you wear a necklace thing with the formula in it. They still have to latch on and it still stimulates your production of milk. I have never used one but if I have to supplement again this time around, I will be giving it a try. 
    Image result for its raining meme

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Does anyone have advice on initiating breastfeeding after a c-section? I really want to breast feed (as long as baby can) and found out we are having a c-section and LO will be early. I want to give us the best possible start because I know how important that first hour is, but realize it will be different with a cs birth. Just wondering if anyone had personal experience they could share. I’ll be speaking with our MFM and the LC at the hospital prior to birth so everyone is aware that is a top priority to me. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @kc0721 From my personal experience having a cs didn’t change what happened baby-wise, much. I was in recovery, L was brought over and we nursed within 45 minutes. From there it was just a regular bfing thing.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• I am nervous and a little traumatized from my first borns breastfeeding experience. His tongue tie went in diagnosed for weeks and I was unable to get it fixed until he was six weeks. That was six weeks of tying to bf for 30 and then pumping immediately after around the clock. I ended up exclusively pumping and supplementing when I had too. My supply was super low. 

Im definitely going to try but I’m nervous about it. Not being able to bf really took a lot of the joy out of enjoying my sons first couple months. I think I am going to set up having a lactation consultant home visit a day or two after we come home so they can check how we are doing. 

My advice to give to anyone who thinks they aren’t making enough is to do a weighted feed (weigh child before and after feed) then you can know exactly how much they are getting. I questioned my instincts because everyone told me I was definitely making enough (ped, lactation consultants, other moms) low and behold my son was get an ounce
    and a half less than he needed. My son wasn’t colicky- he was hungry. Trust your instincts moms!

question: has anyone pumped immediately after delivery to help their supply? 
  • I would definitely take a breastfeeding class. At the hospital request the lactation nurse come just to check out latch, she also will give some tips. If you are going to pumping and having your pump flanges prior to the hospital, bring them with you so the lactation nurse can let you know if they are the right size or tell you the size that you will need.