July 2018 Moms
Options

Weekly Questions 3/19 - 3/25

124»

Re: Weekly Questions 3/19 - 3/25

• Options
    @WorkinWeezel I got mine pierced some 10 years ago too, when I was pregnant with DS it never popped out, just got more shallow/tight. I too it out sometime in the 3rd tri because of the weird way it would look under shirts. I think the skin for the piercing thinned out, almost like I got a stretch mark directly over the piercing. Now it just looks weird if I wear something in it. If it’s not uncomfortable you’re probably totally fine, but I do wonder if I took it out earlier if it wouldn’t have gotten so weird after birth. 

@zande2016 you’re totally justified, your boss sounds like a piece of work. I think it’s fair for you to stand up for yourself, work/life balance is so important. 
  • Options
    @WorkinWeezel I took it off but regretting it! I might put it back in lol
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Does anyone else let their dog sleep in their bed or kiss their dog's fur? I always have but I went down a rabbit hole of research about toxoplasmosis and I found out it lives in soil which, you know, my dog usually is covered in... 
  • Options
    @texasmainer the internet is not your friend these days! :smile: If it makes you feel better about toxoplasmosis, I had to scoop my cats litter the entirety of my first pregnancy with DS and never got toxoplasmosis and he turned out just fine with no concerns. I'm not saying you should do that, I'm just saying it doesn't seem to be super common for it to cause problems. Maybe I'm wrong?
  • Options
    @texasmainer unless your dog regularly rolls around in feral cat poop you should be fine! Stay off the internet, that will never end well! I also scooped the cat box regularly before we got our foster cat and all is/has been well. 
  • Options
    @zande2016 I agree with the others.  It’s completely disrespectful.  Do you share calendars through Outlook or the something similar?  I also leave at 430 and specifically have a hold on my calendar from 430-5 so no one schedules meetings.  (Of course I have made exceptions but it’s not the rule and it forces people to ask me first.). I have a couple of colleagues who also put an hour hold on their calendar for the first hour they’re in the office.  They’re clocked in, but they don’t want meetings right off the bat.  Could you do something similar?  Of course, if your boss already knows your schedule and just doesn’t care, it might not help.  
  • Options
    @texasmainer I’m personally can’t stand dog licks and ours is usually only inside to sleep or if it’s cold. But my cat does sleep and lay all over the house and occasionally on my side of the bed. I have really worried about it but i just don’t clean the litter. With DS i had two cats and one of them loved to cuddle and give kisses. All turned out fine. I wouldn’t worry too much.
  • Options
    @texasmainer  our two dogs and cat sleep in our bed, and I still clean my cats box (with a mask on). Like @acunamatada said, unless they’re rolling in feral cat poop, you should be OK 
    TTC History:
    Me: 36 H: 40 Married 2015. Together since 2010.
    TTC: Sept 2016-Oct 2017
    BFP Oct 2017. DD born July 2018.
    TTC: March 2020. BFP March 2020
    Due date was Nov 2020
    DS born Sept 2020. DS passed away Nov 2020 due to prematurity and birth trauma.
    TTC: March 2021
    IUI #1 Nov 2021, BFN
    IUI #2 Dec 2021 BFP.  MC Jan 2022
    IUI #3 Aug 2022 BFN
    IUI #4 Sept 2022 BFN
    AMH test came back at .081. Was going to move on to IVF with DE, but have decided not to. Will be leaving it up to the universe now.

• Options
    texasmainertexasmainer member
    edited March 2018
    @SmashJam @acunamatada I know, the internet is not my friend! I just moved and haven't had my first appointment with my new OB, but I will next week and I'm going to ask for a referral to a mental health professional... Also maybe ask her to hit me over the head with a medical textbook or something. I have never been so anxious and paranoid in my life, I swear.
  • Options
    rangey1234rangey1234 member
    edited March 2018
    @texasmainer it’s fine for your dog to lay in bed with you/give kisses. Unless of course like the other ladies said, he’s rolling in feral cat poop constantly, or you’re feeding him raw food, skin infection, etc. I work in a vet clinic and am exposed to poop of all sorts on a daily basis. Just wear gloves/mask and be extra cautious. I also let my dog sleep in my bed and always bury my face in his fur. Unless you’re specifically licking the soil off your dog I wouldn’t worry about it too much (LOL).

Edited for clarity. 
  • Options
    texasmainertexasmainer member
    edited March 2018
    @rangey1234 as far as I know he's never rolled in poop of any sort (and currently, we don't have a fenced yard so I'm always supervising). What worries me is the global recommendation that we wear gloves to garden. That just makes all soil - not just poop - sound really scary.
  • Options
    @texasmainer I know, the internet is scary! Definitely wear gloves while gardening. I believe that the concern is animal poop in the soil, not just the soil itself necessarily. I’m not a doctor by any means so definitely follow your doctors advice, but I doubt you’ve been eating soil or licking your hands after gardening. Just wear gloves/be cautious moving forward :) try not to stress!
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    @texasmainer The recommendation to wear gloves when gardening has more to do with how long parasites can live in the soil, in some cases it's years! The parasites can migrate through skin so gloves, long pants, and socks w/ shoes is an easy way to prevent infection :) To just avoid fecal matter won't necessarily prevent contact on its own. Beyond that, garden away!

For Toxoplasmosis, it's a very serious disease so I definitely wouldn't go changing littler boxes (or wear a mask like @rachelsogo does) but contact really needs to be made with fresh urine to contract it. So maybe just avoid face-planting into your dogs fur if it's sopping wet ;)

Edited for words
  • Options
    @wildtot @hillbillywife Thanks for the responses! I think I am overcomplicating it. I asked a friend about it the other day, and she says that she uses a bucket to rinse off her daughter. She doesn't use a shower head or anything like that. So I think we'll simplify it and go with a regular detachable shower head.
  • Options
    @supersara2 we have a bath cup that we use to rinse off my daughter (used it for my son too). The shower head “leash” (words aren’t working for me this morning) isn’t really long enough to get all the way to the bottom of the tub 
  • Options
    Question for any STMs (or FTMs that know what they are doing). I'm in a wedding 6 weeks after my edd and I'm planning to breastfeed. Any recommendations on the style of dress to pick or sizing considerations? I've heard size up 2 sizes from pre-pregnancy to account for my chest and the fact I most likely won't have lost all the belly weight.  Any styles that work better for nursing and/or pumping? I'm thinking empire waist will be most flattering? 
    Me: 31 DH: 34 :heart: Married: April 2016
    TTC December 2016
    BFP 2/28/17 // CP 3/1/17
    MFI Diagnosis: Aug 2017
    BFP 11/1/17 // DS born 6/18
    TTC January 2019
    BFP 3/21/19 // D&C (MMC) 5/8/19
  • Options
    @MrsMiller8588 you typically look about 4-5 months pregnant after birth. I would highly suggest empire waist. I wore a strapless and it was frustrating. Maybe something like a V neck that you can easily pull to the side to breastfeed. For size was able to stay at my usual fir fesses since it wasn’t tight. Your boobs will fill up and deflate after feeding so keep that in mind when looking at how tight you want the bust area to be. 
  • Options
    @mrsmiller8588 agreed with @wildtot, my stepsister was at my mom's wedding with a one year old and she went with a jersey v neck dress that was easy to pull down to the side. I would avoid any stiff fabric or shiffon.

Has anyone seen the new Pampers Pure line of diapers? I would like to try cloth diapering down the line but for now I'm looking at disposables from "claner" (if that makes sense...such an over used term) brands. Babyganics was another one I looked into.
  • Options
    @MrsMiller8588 like others have said, I would worry more about the fabric than the size. Definitely get something more forgiving because they’ll probably fluctuate quite a bit depending on feeding times. I would highly recommend an empire waist! V neck or even a halter you can untie, or a side zip dress to give you some extra wiggle room when trying to get everything out would help. Or what about a wrap dress? I don’t have any experience with them but they’d look nursing compatible. 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback on my work situation! Sorry I didn't come back to respond sooner, I was so exhausted after getting home late last night and then going to a family party today. Basically we all have access to each other's calendars, but my boss doesn't check before putting things on people's calendars, and does crap like this all the time to us. Like it's one thing if it's within my normal working hours, but she just doesn't care if it runs past your normal hours because she works 12 hour days and thinks we all should too (I certainly don't, I don't get paid enough for that lol). If I have a firm obligation I usually do block it off on my calendar. The sad thing is, if we want to leave on time on any day to make it to something, we have to literally put on our calendar that we have to leave on time. I seriously can't wait to leave, the long commute is pure torture during pregnancy and with young kids. 

@MrsMiller8588 a wrap dress is great for stretch and easy access in case you're nursing or pumping. 
  • Options
    Okay, I'm trying to take deep breaths here. Someone tell me not to panic. 

On my OB's recommendation (because of my anxious personality) I limited my info intake and "rules" to the binder she gave me. It didn't say anything about toxoplasmosis at all or washing produce. She just said no kitty litter.

Long story short in the midst of my anxiety about toxo, it struck me that a) I don't necessarily rinse vegetables I'm going to cook or anything with a peel, like a banana or orange b) my Mom doesn't rinse anything - like lettuce, strawberries, lemons nothing. And I stayed at her house for 4 weeks and multiple weekends during my pregnancy.

It's one thing to have an irrational fear of toxo, which I do - but its another to realize I've been doing something so risky inadvertently for weeks. I've been crying for hours now. 
  • Options
    @zande2016 I asked for a referral from my old OB but her on staff counselor wasn't covered by my insurance and I was moving in a month. So I moved and now my OB appointment here has been postponed twice. I told the nurse I am struggling with extreme anxiety and she said the OB would definitrly refer me but then my appointment got delayed because she was in surgery. I know I need professional help; I just feel like I can't get it right now. 

Also, re irrational anxiety - I do recognize that for what it is even if it is overwhelming. But this doesn't feel irrational. It feels like a basic rule, like no raw meat, that I'm the only one who didn't know about.
  • Options
    millpemillpe member
    edited March 2018
    @texasmainer I agree with @zande2016. I'm sorry you are having trouble getting a referral to see someone. Is it possible to check with your insurance if someone would be covered without a referral and book an appointment directly? Also, FWIW I rarely wash my produce.. 
    Me: 31 DH: 34 :heart: Married: April 2016
    TTC December 2016
    BFP 2/28/17 // CP 3/1/17
    MFI Diagnosis: Aug 2017
    BFP 11/1/17 // DS born 6/18
    TTC January 2019
    BFP 3/21/19 // D&C (MMC) 5/8/19
  • Options
    @texasmainer Everything @zande2016 said. If your doctor keeps postponing your appts, keep calling. Stress how much the anxiety is affecting your everyday activities and that you need a referral now. Anxiety can be a very emotionally painful process and benefits from early interventions. Don't wait!

Also, about Toxoplasmosis. Like I said above, you really need to come into contact with fresh urine. It would be nearly unheard of to contract it through unwashed fruit or vegetables. If there were a high risk (or even nominal risk), we'd hear of cases weekly or more of people contracting it that way since I'd venture to guess that 50% or more of people don't regularly wash fruits and veggies before consuming.

While you're waiting for a referral from your OB for a mental health professional, you could check out some DBT exercises online or videos on YouTube. They can really help to ease anxiety in the moment.
  • Options
    @TalesOfASocialIntrovert that's not true; toxo is not spread by urine at all. Urine is not dangerous whatsoever. It is spread by cat feces. The concern with soil and produce is that oocysts from feces can survive in soil and water for months or years, contaminating the skins of veggies and fruits. 
  • Options
    @texasmainer you and your baby are fine. Like the others here I can hear you spiraling. The fear of what you ate at your mom's house is a little irrational. More than toxo is the threat of E. coli and Listeria on some fruits and vegetables. Even so, you don't wash those things with antibacterial soap so washing is just rinsing and how much is that really doing? Probably the safest thing you can do for yourself at any time is just wash your hands with regular soap before you eat, after gardening (with or without gloves), after using the bathroom, etc.
    The only thing you should focus on right now is what you will do moving forward. You cannot change the past at all--what's done is done-- so if you're afraid of toxo then stop changing cat litter, rinse your fruit and veggies to avoid food poisoning, don't eat raw meat if you don't want to, and whatever else your OB suggests. 
    Also, keep calling your OB so they know how urgently you need help from a professional. Good luck.

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • Options
    Quick question. A coworker of mine was seen at the Dr Monday thinking she had chicken pox. Her Dr cleared her and said no so she came back to work and has been working everyday since. Well today another girl that I work closely with went to the Dr for suspected shingles and it was confirmed she has them, her rash showed up yesterday. I have already sanitized as much as possible but wondering if this is something I need to mention to my Dr that I've been in close proximity and direct contact with. It's my understanding that they can be spread by me touching the area of the rash (Which I haven't done,) by her touching it and then say grabbing paperwork and handing it to me, or laundry which she had just given me a gift yesterday that was a baby robe. I have had chicken pox so I would be at risk of shingles.
  • Options
    @kbernal2021 wouldn’t hurt to call and ask your doctor. When DS had hand,foot and mouth i called to make sure i was ok and see if i needed to follow anything special. It know it’s not the same sickness but point is highly encourage to call for guidance. 
  • Options
    @kbernal2021 I agree doesn't hurt to ask but last time I was preggo my principal had shingles and just covered the patch on his face with some gauze and a bandaid, stayed all day until he could go home and finally confirmed the diagnosis, and my doc wasn't concerned. Granted I tried to avoid my principal at all costs...