June 2018 Moms

The GD Check In Thread (March)

Starting a Diabetes (inclusive of GD, T1, T2, T1.5, etc...) related check in since it’s about that time to start pounding glucola. (Or dramatically increasing insulin intake.) Since it’s still early, I’ll do one for March, then maybe transition to weekly once people get results.

(Pardon the lame formatting.)

1) FTM Or STM? If STM, did you have Diabetes in a prior pregnancy?

2) Fears, anxieties about the test, blood sugar checking, new routines? If you have done this before, do you advice to calm nerves?

3) Cool products or apps? (EG meters, lancing devices, log book apps or solutions.)

4) A recipe to share that looks good and satisfies all the diet requirements for your situation.

5) Favorite alterna-sweet. (EG Greek yogurt with some cinnamon vs ice cream.)

Re: The GD Check In Thread (March)

• FTM, received GD diagnosis, super upset, appointment with nutritionist soon
  • @blessedmaven: I’m sorry the results didn’t pan out as you planned. When you are ready, I’m happy to help answer logistical/non medical questions. 

I’ve been living with T1 Diabetes for 35 years. Having it during pregnancy is a mindfuck. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @blessedmaven I had GD with DD and I totally get how upsetting it is...I was devastated and felt like a failure. It seems so intimidating and overwhelming, but I promise as soon as you get the hang of it it gets better. I'm not saying by any means it's fun, but it becomes routine. The silver lining is I definitely ate healthier and stayed more active during my pregnancy which became habits I kept up after and I had an easier transition post partum than some of my friends who didn't have it. I haven't taken my glucose test yet, but I'm fully prepared to have it again and I know that no matter what I'll get through it. So just know you're not alone and it's ok to be overwhelmed and scared, but you'll get through it and you'll have people here to support you along the way 
  • 1) FTM Or STM? If STM, did you have Diabetes in a prior pregnancy? TTM; had GD with both DD & DS1. I take my second 1-hour test on Tuesday and am not feeling very confident about passing.

2) Fears, anxieties about the test, blood sugar checking, new routines? If you have done this before, do you advice to calm nerves? I am not looking forward to the time involved in meal-planning. That's really the only thing about GD that I hated. I plan on maybe taking an hour or so on Saturdays to portion out snacks for the following week and get my weekly menu together. I don't really have any advice other than to say that IMO, it's a lot easier to follow the GD diet when you think about it being for the health of your baby. 

3) Cool products or apps? (EG meters, lancing devices, log book apps or solutions.) I am a Luddite; my phone is old AF. I wish I had cool app recommendations. 

4) A recipe to share that looks good and satisfies all the diet requirements for your situation. I don't have a recipe, but I often mix tomato sauce and cream cheese, mixed with chicken and veggies (peppers, a little squash, olives, broccoli, etc.) and put that on top of serving of whole-wheat spaghetti. Olives and Parmesan are my healthy fats, chicken is my protein, and spaghetti, plus the squash are my carbs. Minus the heartburn that accompanies it, this is a pretty sweet go-to. 

5) Favorite alterna-sweet. (EG Greek yogurt with some cinnamon vs ice cream.) Sugar-free jell-o chocolate pudding with cool whip. 
  • Bumping to add mine and see if anyone else is joining us.

1) STM. Have had T1 Diabetes for ages. This pregnancy seems more like a struggle and I’m not sure why.

2) Bonus? I don’t have to take the GTT. But I will offer sage advice. If you do end up with GD, remind yourself of the following: it’s temporary. It’s not your fault (silly placentas!) And take it one day at a time. My control literally varies if the weather changes. Welcome to having a condition that is the antithesis of control.

3) I hate log books and haven’t kept one since I was in college. Excel spreadsheets work well if you can remember to log it. The MySugr app is a good log book that gamifies the act of logging. It sends you notifications to remind you too. It’s free unless you want to download reports.
    If you have sensitive fingers, the Delica lancing device is a must. (One Touch.)
    If you have kick ass insurance, OneTouch meters and Contour meters are your gold standard for accuracy. If your insurance is okay, the Wal Mart brand, Reli On, isn’t bad.

4) I made a Paleo-ish blueberry lemon loaf this weekend. I usually hate coconut flour, but this wasn’t overwhelming. 

5) Halo Top ice cream!!!
  • @starla487 I'm here to second what you're saying- DM is the antithesis of control....MH has T1 and some days there is no rhyme or reason why he can't get things under control, other times, it's no big deal. I also agree that Contour and One Touch are the best, that's what he's had for a few years now and they are just so much more reliable.
  • 1) FTM Or STM? If STM, did you have Diabetes in a prior pregnancy? Third pregnancy, diabetic with my first, not my second, now GD with my 3rd... Apparently my body doesn't like to make boys?!? Hah!

2) Fears, anxieties about the test, blood sugar checking, new routines? If you have done this before, do you advice to calm nerves? This time around is so much more intense than the first time. I think it's just the difference a decade makes, but the prospect of twice weekly NST is freaking me out. 

3) Cool products or apps? (EG meters, lancing devices, log book apps or solutions.) I like my delica, butits honestly just what my doctor handed me. 

4) A recipe to share that looks good and satisfies all the diet requirements for your situation. I am simply counting carbs at the moment in conjunction with metformin. So, at the beginning of each week I've been cooking a large package if chicken for salads all week & it has been my dlsavibg grace come lunch time! Mornings are hectic, so having it all ready to toss in my bag has been fabulous.  Annnd,chicken salad on Apple slices is delicious!

5) Favorite alterna-sweet. (EG Greek yogurt with some cinnamon vs ice cream.) Sugar free jello! And I want to try these "chocolate whips" this weekend. The chocolate cravings are intense. 

https://sprinklesomefun.com/frozen-chocolate-whips-low-carb-thm-s
  • @starla487 what's your favorite flavor of halotop?
  • @starla487 what's your favorite flavor of halotop?
    Mint or cookie dough thus far. Although, I picked up Peanut Butter Cup today and I’m super excited to try it.