November 2017 Moms

Dairy free mamas

Anyone else having to cut it out because LO can't tolerate it? Feel free to discuss.

It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility

Re: Dairy free mamas

• It's embarrassing and frustrating to have to ask a million questions about menu ingredients when eating out. Then you have to decide whether or not to trust what you are told... So many things have milk, casein, and whey in them! Luckily, two of my sisters have lots of info for me since two of my nephews have this issue and true allergies to it / other foods.
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • I am trying to fi dour what LO is having issues with.  Rifhtnoe ive cute out dairy, soy, and eggs.  It’s impossible to eat out.  Even shopping for food is miserable.  So I have decided to make all of my food until we get him fumigated out unless I know for certain it’s ok (like chick fil a fries).  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Loading the player...
  • NYTino24NYTino24 member
    edited January 2018
    @happybride 276 I will post pics of some foods you can have if you want. Just a short list for now:

Rice, meats, fruits, vegetables
    margarine 
    coconut milk
    almond milk
    Freihoffer's white bread 
    Cape Cod Kettle Korn salt and vinegar chips
    Most Oreos (not the white chocolate ones)
    Teddy Grahams
    marshmallows / Fluff
    Nabisco Barnum's animal crackers 
    Vienna fingers cookies 
    Graham crackers
    Daiya brand cheese
    Chex cereal
    Crispix cereal
    Cheerios
    Rice Krispies cereal
    most Fritos (not chili cheese)
    most BBQ chips
    most plain chips
    SuperPretzel soft pretzels 
    PopSecret Sweet N Crunchy caramel popcorn
    Boom Chicka Pop popcorn - sea salt
    Veggie Straws - sea salt (not ranch)

Be careful with salad dressings! Always read labels!!

• I am allergic to dairy myself, and have been dairy free for 13 years.  Happy to bounce food safety off anyone!  Quick tips - if it is marked as VEGAN (assuming you don't have a problem with gluten) you are safe to eat it - there is no dairy or eggs in Vegan items.  Often items marked as Kosher are also dairy free; always check, but it is a good clue.

Hidden dairy issues: malt syrup.  A lot of breakfast cereals have malt extract.  Check all your lotions - a lot have milk powder.  Check your vitamins - a lot have milk powder or casein as an ingredient.  One-A-Day brand is not allergen safe.

Watch out for any flavored chips or popcorn - a lot use milk powder as an ingredient.  This is especially true with salt & vinegar and Lime flavors.

Watch out for hotdogs - many brands use milk powder as an ingredient.

Basically, stick with fruits, veggies, meat, rice and home cooked meals.  Shop around the edges of the grocery store, and not down the aisles.

I'm having to relearn everything myself - my LO appears to be egg-intolerant.  So now that makes no dairy, no gluten, and no eggs for me.  
  • I have been for almost 6 weeks now. Shopping was the worst and holidays, I don't trust out to eat. I always have my phone out. Chain restaurants usually have an allergen menu, there is GoDairyFree that has most restaurants on it and what's safe. Movie theater popcorn not safe. The butter flavor has no dairy but the salt used to pop it has casein.

Freihoffers wheat bread is fine
    Potato bread and most bagels
    No substitute for cheese pizza but some daiya will give the creamy texture. 
    Just Ranch dressing is dairy free and there is a Thousand island and Caesar option as well.

Barkthins (not organic)
    All Oreos
    Silk almond vanilla creamer is my favorite
    Rice ramen from Costco
    Tyson honey bbq chicken and TGIF wings are safe
    Chex mix

I was told try vegan recipes and add what you can, also be careful with too much soy. 

• *Lurking from N16*

I've done several Whole30's since 2014 and am currently on another round. No grains/gluten, no dairy, no legumes, no added sugar. Dairy and wheat is in everything but there are more and more quality products out there. The key is to read all the labels, you have to read the ingredients not just the nutrition chart. Primal Kitchen has great dressing options. Not sure but maybe clarified butter or Ghee could be an option since the milk proteins are skimmed off.

As for eating out, with my diet being super restrictive while eating on plan I have learned a few tricks. Always research menus online ahead of time. Most of them have nutrition info and some even have ingredients listed. Try and plan out what you will order ahead of time and the questions you will need to ask. Chipotle and Five Guys are my go to for quick eats because they have their ingredients listed for every item. I've found steak houses are easiest to order from, you just have to ask for a dry steak (without the butter stuff they put on it). Also don't be afraid to bring your own condiments. When I am out and I order a burger with all the veggies but no bun, no cheese I will bring my own ketchup because almost every ketchup out there has added sugar.

Back to my cave...
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Dairy causes painful gas for my son so it seems like I don’t have to be overly cautious, but like I ate a chip yesterday before reading the label and paid so maybe need to be a little more careful. I’m honestly fine with it but my husband acts like he’s being so restricted as I don’t cook cream based pasta or soup like we usually love. Deal with it buddy it’s for your kid, ha. 
    edited January 2018
    Such good info, ladies! Thank you. Please keep it coming.This should be helpful: https://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/page/milk-allergy.aspx

• NYTino24 said:
    @happybride 276 I will post pics of some foods you can have if you want. Just a short list for now:

Rice, meats, fruits, vegetables
    margarine 
    coconut milk
    almond milk
    Freihoffer's white bread 
    Kettle Korn salt and vinegar chips
    Oreos
    Teddy Grahams
    marshmallows (but not Fluff)
    Nabisco Barnum's animal crackers 
    Daiya brand cheese
    Chex cereal
    Crispix cereal
    Cheerios
    Rice Krispies cereal

Be careful with salad dressings!

Thank you so much for the list.  I just re-read my post and I apologize for the spelling errors. I guess sleep deprivation and late night bumping don’t mix. I have heard that Dave’s Bread is good too.  I’m on a hunt today to find their white bread.  Sandwiches are too easy not to have a delicious option. 

• I am allergic to dairy myself, and have been dairy free for 13 years.  Happy to bounce food safety off anyone!  Quick tips - if it is marked as VEGAN (assuming you don't have a problem with gluten) you are safe to eat it - there is no dairy or eggs in Vegan items.  Often items marked as Kosher are also dairy free; always check, but it is a good clue.

Hidden dairy issues: malt syrup.  A lot of breakfast cereals have malt extract.  Check all your lotions - a lot have milk powder.  Check your vitamins - a lot have milk powder or casein as an ingredient.  One-A-Day brand is not allergen safe.

Watch out for any flavored chips or popcorn - a lot use milk powder as an ingredient.  This is especially true with salt & vinegar and Lime flavors.

Watch out for hotdogs - many brands use milk powder as an ingredient.

Basically, stick with fruits, veggies, meat, rice and home cooked meals.  Shop around the edges of the grocery store, and not down the aisles.

I'm having to relearn everything myself - my LO appears to be egg-intolerant.  So now that makes no dairy, no gluten, and no eggs for me.  
    Thank you for the suggestions!  I was so upset when I found out my lime Tostitos had milk in it.  That was my final straw.  Haha

I’m hopeful that having such limited “junk” items will help me be healthier.  At least that would be a plus.  Cutting out eggs has been hard for me.  I ate a lot of eggs before. I’m sorry you’re omitting so much. 
  • I’m making these with almond milk and smart balance butter:
    https://allrecipes.com/recipe/239969/no-bake-energy-bites/

heres a site that helps guide where you can eat:
    https://www.godairyfree.org/eating-out/fast-food-dairy-free-listings
    I’ve heard it’s basically impossible to get non-contaminated pizza from a pizza place, but then I’ve also heard great things about Mod pizza. 

• So I want to say that not all Oreos are safe. Some are coated in chocolate, but hopefully everyone realizes there is milk in the chocolate.

I'm going to edit my list up there to add some more stuff.

• It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

• Found a dairy free pot pie, I was so excited. I miss pot pies. 
  • Earth Balance is my go-to butter substitute. The version in the red container is also soy free.  The only DF product I really don’t care for is yogurt. 
  • @MaximumEffort oooh at a store or recipe?? That’s my comfort food!
  • Eating this right now and it’s delicious! 

• @PolythenePam I found it at Target. I think it was Carl's. 
    edited January 2018
    @ladymeowmeow2 They have a few dairy free ones! I have the cherry one. So exciting!!

https://www.benjerry.com/flavors/non-dairy

• I was so excited about the B&J flavors, but the only flavor safe for me to eat so far is the Banana. :( All the other flavors are not gluten safe. 
  • I’ve been dairy free since LO was about 3/4 weeks old! It’s not so bad now! I just have to make sure I’m way more prepared as I can’t just grab lunch. 
    Mine of my favorite snacks is Lara bars! Also chips and salsa! Dave’s whole wheat bread is dairy free so I do a lot of chicken, avocado and veganaise sandwiches! It’s the coconut milk coffee creamer that has me still trying to adjust! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @samsterrr Why the veganaise? 
  • Yes, echoing, why the veganaise? (Unless you are avoiding eggs.)  Mayonnaise has no dairy in it.
  • I decided to test my LO stool for occult blood and I'm happy to report that it was negative. I was worried because he still had blowouts and his stools aren't yellow. 
  • @MaximumEffort We got one green and several orange the last few days. Our two month appointment was moved from today to Monday, so I'm going to ask for a retest on the stool sample. I hope we don't have to cut more stuff out...

• NYTino24 said:
    @MaximumEffort We got one green and several orange the last few days. Our two month appointment was moved from today to Monday, so I'm going to ask for a retest on the stool sample. I hope we don't have to cut more stuff out...
    Hoping you get good news on Monday!

I found out I am just dairy free for now (which is a great relief to be able to eat eggs and soy again) 

here is is another website for meal ideas: https://minimalistbaker.com/
  • It has only been a little over two weeks and symptoms should be lessened (they are) but apparently they don't expect the sample to be negative for 4-6 weeks (and it was still positive). They made a mistake and didn't tell me to eliminate soy... basically if you go dairy free, they want you to abide by MSPI protocol. Another mama recommended this site:
    https://www.mspimama.com/?m=1

• It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

• NYTino24 said:
    It has only been a little over two weeks and symptoms should be lessened (they are) but apparently they don't expect the sample to be negative for 4-6 weeks (and it was still positive). They made a mistake and didn't tell me to eliminate soy... basically if you go dairy free, they want you to abide by MSPI protocol. Another mama recommended this site:
    https://www.mspimama.com/?m=1
    I was told to eliminate soy after his first bloody diaper.  I cut out bovious fairy before, but not hidden dairy (because that’s what worked for my first born).   I accidentally ate soy a few days before he was last tested and come to find out it LO just has a dairy protein intolerance.  Once you test blood free I would suggest trying something with soy in it to see if your LO reacts.  My doctor said that she would hate for me to restrict more than I have to.  
  • Went shopping yesterday. This is all dairy and soy free. I was so upset when I realized my tea and peanut butter had soy. It wasn't easy to find ones without!! PS this ish is not cheap!!

• This brand is good: https://enjoylifefoods.com/ (click store locator)

Here is their free cookbook: (use above link to download yourself if it doesn't open) https://enjoylifefoods.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Recipe-E-Book_Final_Reduced.pdf

• The nut thins are dairy free again? I had to stop eating them a few years ago because they were adding milk powder. 
  • @curiousfool1 That specific one is. Most of the others were not.

• These are pretty tasty, but a bit expensive.  Why are dairy and soy free items so expensive?

• The family is eating paleo pancakes tonight and bacon.   Maybe a little grittybut my daughter wants more and DH scarfed them down. 
  • @MaximumEffort That's great! It isn't easy finding panacke mix that doesn't include or require milk. I forgot to get the one where you just add water and ended up putting almond milk in the mix instead of cow's milk and the waffles weren't good.