July 2018 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight NY Day Edition: Sleep Surfaces!

2»

Re: Product Spotlight NY Day Edition: Sleep Surfaces!

• Options
    We planned to use the halo bassinest with our first baby, but she didn’t like it and I think it was because it was such a flat surface and not snug. So we tried her in the graco pack n play insert and she loved it. Eventually we moved her to the bassinest once she was about 2 months maybe? We’ll probably do the same with this baby and see what he/she likes. 
  • Options
    Sorry for not using the format, but here goes:

The bassinet was a huge waste of space and money for us. She HATED it and never slept in it once. 

We eventually started using the pack n play and I would keep it downstairs. She slept really well in it. At about 4 months I transferred her to her crib and it was a smooth transition. Side note, sids is a huge concern to me, so we got an angelcare monitor. Best investment ever for peace of mind.

I am going to buy a new pack n play this go around (my last one was a hand me down and ugly as sin, lol) and get a small mattress forit... i never even knew that was a thing with my first. I am the worst ever.

We had a rock n play for the rare occassion we traveled, but I never used it unless we had to due to concerns about how prolonged use can reshape a newborn head.

So in short I am planning on pack n play until he or she STTN, then moving to the crib in the nursery.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Crystal321 I don’t think any pack and plays allow the use of a supplemental mattress since the baby can slip between the mattress and the side of the pack and play since the sides are soft. FWIW my boys sleep in pack and plays when we travel on just the included mattress and they sleep fantastic!
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My mom who lives in Italy sent me a picture of this , looks like a Halo but it's Chicco. I like it because it's partly a cosleeper, the side zips down however not all the way down, which I think it's kind of cool. Ultimately I'll have to decide between something like this and a pack and play, don't think I wanna spend the $$ for both at least not right off the bat...unless I get a good hand me down crib for cheap or some amazing gifts from the parents hehe.decisions, decisions...
  • Options
    @comealongponds no, the angle is extremely gentle. I'd guess around a 5% angle. Way less than even a rock and play. DD's chin was always off her chest when sleeping on it. And it's like a hammock, but it's still extremely taut fabric to let the baby's head lie flat. It's a natural sleeping position. And it's made of mesh. Like, see-through mesh. I breathed through it like there was nothing there. Way more permiable than a mattress. 

@lavillard I used a brand name pack-n-play, standard size, one with a changing table that came from Babies R Us. It fit fine. It wedges in extremely snugly, but that's what it does in cribs too, so maybe people think it should go in easily? I don't know, I know smaller pnp's are more common now, but it fit in my regular one. Like I said I haven't tried the Halo one, so can't speak for that. 
  • Options
    For S+TMs: 
    • Lifestyle (house, apartment, travel often, etc): House, we don't travel much
    • Favorite [sleep surface]: Newborn to 6 months we loved the Arm's Reach Mini Co-sleeper, after that we did a crib.
    • Link/picture:Arm39s Reachreg Mini Ezeetrade 2-in-1 Co-Sleeperreg in Natural
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $160
    • What you like about it:I liked that baby could sleep right next to our bed, almost in our bed, but still in their own space. It made night time breast feeding sooo easy with both our kids. Once baby was content I could lay on my side and put my hand on their chest which helped me sleep being able to feel, hear, and quickly see them still breathing. 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: Nothing. I love this thing! IT transports well if you do go on vacaiton. The side rolls back up once baby is older and starts to move around. 
    • Is there a [sleep surface] you don't have but are considering? Why?: I've heard good things about Rock and Play but I know they aren't meant for sleeping. I have also heard really good things about Dock a Tot for co-sleeping but they are pretty spendy and don't follow US guidlines. (It's UK made and fits perfectly with their guidelines)
    • Additional thoughts on [sleep surfaces]?: I'm all for using what works best for each individual family. With my DD (our first) she actually slept the best propped up on my chest for the first month of her life. I know it wasn't technically safe but I'm a light sleeper and we both got great sleep that month doing it that way. Also, don't buy every single product on the market right away. Buy one or two, see if they work and if they don't then branch out. Some kids hate laying completely flat, some need to move a little, etc. 

• Options
    AlyLynn07AlyLynn07 member
    edited January 2018
    Expecting baby #3. We live in a 2 story home and don't travel much. Our PnP came with a bassinet, which we expected to use all the time. It was not our favorite. Our boys would wake up so often in this - like only sleeping for 10-60 minutes at a time. They also didn't seem to do great on the flat surface due to spitting up. We really loved the rock n play with the slight incline and ability to rock. Both stayed in it until about 4 months of age. The vibration option is also soothing when they're super little. They would also often fall asleep in a bouncer with vibrations going during the day.

https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Little-SnugaMonkey-Special-Sleeper/dp/B00N9ZD276/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1515122699&sr=8-1&keywords=monkey+rock+and+play

Edited to add that I had this Rock and Play shipped overnight with our first because the sleep was so rough - it was totally worth it!
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Hi! We do A LOT of traveling, and plan to continue to do so after LO comes. And we'll be going to visit DH's family in Tokyo at some point next year and are looking at something that would be safe, but also really portable. Is anyone familiar with either of these?

https://www.babybjorn.com/baby-cradle-and-travel-crib/travel-crib-light/?attribute_pa_color=sort&attribute_pa_material=mesh

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AKKDSNG?tag=hello-baby-20

We have a pack n play already because we've used it here when babysitting our niece, but the thing is really big, heavy and has a stupid amount of parts I really don't want to lug around on the bullet trains when we go from Tokyo to MILs hometown in the countryside.

Maybe this isn't really the right thread for this, but hoping there may be some other traveling families who could provide advice on something compact, safe, and lightweight!.

Edit to add: Yes, I know these are both on the floor, but DH's family lives in a traditional home, and we'll all be on the floor on futons set out on tatami. Just how it is there.

• Options
    @noideawhatshesdoing I was looking into the lotus for DS while we were traveling but I couldn’t justify the extra cost for one trip when we already had the pack n play. I didn’t read anything bad about it, and it’s super lightweight! 
  • Options
    @acunamatada Thanks! We travel a ton, and we were supposed to go to Japan this summer but have had to put that trip off for the obvious reason. I like that the lotus has the backpack. The hubs is a minimalist, so he was looking at the KidCo Pea Pod, and I love how small that is, but it does not look comfortable at all.
  • Options
    @noideawhatshesdoing I’ve heard great things about the Lotus crib!

• Options
    I just found out my husband's company is doing a pilot for new moms and dads in which they give people a free Snoo bed for 4 months! Our friend had applied for paternity leave and he got contacted almost right after to participate in the program. 
    It is not anything I would remotely consider but if I get one for free you bet I'm taking it, lol.
  • Options
    @kissableviv I had no idea what that was so I looked it up and holy expensive! Like if you were gonna offer bassinets I feel like that must be the most expensive option out there, lol. That is very cool though, that they are trying to help new families out a little! 
  • Options
    @SmashJam when my husband started talking about a $1200 crib I laughed, I was like, which one, I don't think I ever saw anything so expensive! But then I remembered seeing it online under a "posh registry sample" and rolling my eyes at it. Lol.
  • Options
    @kissableviv how on earth could a bassinet be that expensive!? WOW 
  • Options
    @acunamatada I know!!! Can you imagine if for some reason the baby doesn't like it??? If we get it for free and it doesn't work out we can always go get the Halo which is our original pick but imagine people who pay for it...such a waste. 
  • Options
    • Lifestyle (house, apartment, travel often, etc): House, and we travel often
    • Favorite [sleep surface]: hands down Rock & Play!! We used it until my son was 3 months because he got too big for me to feel safe anymore and started rolling. At 3 months he went into his crib in his own room and has been there ever since, now converted into a toddler bed. When we travel we bring the pack n play. 
    • Link/picture:
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): R &P is like $35-50 so not bad. 
    • What you like about it: It rocks itself, if you buy that version, and it is the only thing my so would sleep in. It also helps with silent reflex. 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything:There’s not much padding and the bottom is plastic, so I folded up a fleece blanket and stuck it between the lining and the plastic for a little more cushion. 
    • Is there a [sleep surface] you don't have but are considering? Why?: I’ve looked at a few other portable crib and such, but I know they’re just not necessary and I’d be wasting my money, so no not really. 
    • Is there a [sleep surface] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: I have my own bassinet from when I was a baby that my dad saved and gave to me, and I don’t hate it at all, but DS would NOT sleep in it. At all. 
    • Additional thoughts on [sleep surfaces]?: Saftey is MOST important. If you have any questions about anything, the best place to ask is your child’s pediatrician. Also, let baby sleep alone, I promise it will be the best thing you ever do. My son has never slept with me and we both sleep better because of it. 
  • Options
    For anyone with/interested in the Halo bassinet...just wanted to share this link. They did not make this when my son was a newborn and I'm excited to try it this time. It's a newborn insert that supposedly makes the baby more snug. I think the reason he didn't like sleeping in there was the thin mattress and openness of it, so I'm hoping this will make a difference for #2. 

https://www.amazon.com/Halo-3902-Bassinest-Newborn-Insert/dp/B01N4E7Z3M
  • Options
    @paytonpedro I'm looking to transitioning him as soon as the sleep stretches are closer to 5 hours. We'll use a Halo but we also have a R&P! Grandparents in Texas will be getting the pack and play for when we visit.
  • Options
    @kidsableviv that’s what we did! At 2 months, he was sleeping like 6 hour stretches but I didn’t want him to wake up my husband who has a hard job and needs his sleep, so I stayed on the couch with LO in R&P. Around 3 months, he was closer to 8/9 hours and too big imo for a R&P that he went into his crib. It was a smooth transition. 
  • Options
    @paytonpedro thank you for making me feel a little less clueless :)
  • Options
    @kissableviv Haha no problem! The beginning is rough, but you’ll get in your own groove and things will come natural :) We were all clueless the first time, even crazies like me who read everything I could get my hands on and asked 1,000,000 questions! Haha. 
  • Options
    In your experience, how long can you use the pack and play for sleeping? I'm going to visit the in laws in Texas in March and I want to buy one to keep there for when we visit. 
  • Options
    @kissableviv I forget the weight limit for the base of the pack n play, but my son at 2.5 could probably still sleep in it, he could get out of it on his own about 6mo ago so he hasn’t used it much at grandmas since then. The bassinet part of the pack n play is 15lb, in my experience lasted about 12 weeks but my son was a chunky baby. 
  • Options
    @kissableviv We just used a pack & play a couple weeks ago and my son is going to be 2 in less than a month and weighs 30#. I don’t see him growing out of it anytime soon. 
  • Options
    Just made my first baby #2 purchase yesterday, a grey and white mini arms reach cosleeper for $75. I couldn’t pass it up! 
  • Options
    SmashJamSmashJam member
    edited January 2018
    @kissableviv my son still sleeps in a pack n play at grandma's and on trips and he's 2.5 and 36# (although I guess its been quite awhile since he's slept in one, since the summer). It says on the Graco website its for kids under 35 inches who are unable to crawl out....my kid is over 35 inches and slept in it this last summer just fine but he doesn't crawl out of his crib either. Darn it I guess I may finally have to let my MIL put him in the actual guest bed, or buy a mattress for her floor. 

ETA: words
  • Options
    @SmashJam @acunamatada @paytonpedro thanks so much I've looked at so many things I get confused with the weight limits ahah great info I really appreciate it! We're going to get one when we are in Texas in March for sure:)
  • Options
    FTM here. 
    Does anyone have thoughts on the Nuna Mini Aire travel crib? Or are other playyards better?? I'm considering this for my parents house, as they will be the caretakers once I go back to work. They don't have room for a crib (even though they say they do). I'd rather they have something safe yet compact and easy to store. 
    https://m.shop.nordstrom.com/s/nuna-sena-mini-aire-travel-crib/4565819?origin=coordinating-4565819-60201287-5-MOBI_FTR-recbot-recently_viewed_hybrid_snowplow_v1&recs_placement=MOBI_FTR&recs_strategy=recently_viewed_hybrid_snowplow_v1&recs_source=recbot&recs_page_type=category

For myself, my bff is lending me her Halo bassinet for the first months, and I'm looking at the babyletto Hudson crib for the baby's room. 
  • Options
    Amazing deal for Canadians! Graco Travel Lite Playard for only $66! Just ordered one for this babe since we ditched our old bassinets. 

https://www.canadasbabystore.com/en/product/13900

• Options
    @coco305 we ordered the Babyletto Hudson for our LO, we were going to wait for a little while longer but it was on sale at Amazon so we went ahead and did it. Came way faster than we expected too. DH put it together yesterday because he wanted to make sure we weren't missing any pieces. Seemed a little lower than other cribs we looked at which I liked because I think it will be helpful for my tendonitis issue.
  • Options
    @noideawhatshesdoing awesome! I finally saw it yesterday at buy buy baby, and while it looks lower, it's actually the same height as the other cribs that were on the floor display. Difference being that the other cribs had the higher backs against the wall. I think it's an optical illusion. I love the crib though, can't wait to get it 
  • Options
    @coco305 may be an optical illusion! Either way, we really liked the look of it, and it was way more affordable than the Ubabub that DH originally wanted. It was pretty easy to put together, the only annoying part of the assembly was the last side because you attach the mattress support first and then there isn't a whole lot of room for the hex key to get the middle bolt in, but otherwise not bad.
  • Options
    We just got an email from DH's company. The Snoo deal was real and we just requested one. Hopefully baby doesn't hate it, but if he does we can always get the Halo Bassinest. In the meantime, this is FREE, so fingers crossed it works out. It helps quite a bit with the budget!