April 2018 Moms
Options

TW*First Baby advice you won’t hear anywhere else. (and hopefully a reminder to the STM, TTM, etc.)

mrs_massiemrs_massie member
edited January 2018 in April 2018 Moms

1.       You know babies cry and keep you up all night. I don’t think anyone goes into pregnancy with the expectation that their baby will sleep through the night and sleep all day and never cry. What you might not know is how the crying will actually make you feel.   When your baby cries, you will start to run through the list of things to stop your baby from crying-feeding, diaper changing, rocking, changing positions, etc. etc. etc. Sometimes babies just like to cry, especially in the evening, and sometimes no matter what you do, they will cry. The crying that you can’t stop might actually make you feel anxious. So anxious, that you start to feel anxiety every time your baby lets out a whimper, in fear that it will be another crying fit you can’t help. My advice is to just relax and if you know you’ve tried everything to help your baby, they might just want to cry and it’s OK to let them cry. I wish I had this advice with my first because I would drive myself crazy trying to get him to stop crying, when he would only stop crying all on his own in his own timing anyway.

2.       Be ready to be so tired that you might cry. You’re going to miss sleeping with no interruption. You’re going to wish for just ONE night of a full sleep. The nap you take when baby is napping will never be long enough and some nights you won’t even want to eat dinner because you would rather get a head start on sleeping while your hubby has the baby. And every time you HAVE to get up from your sleep, you’re going to want to cry. My advice is to know this phase doesn’t last forever. When you’re in it and you’re exhausted, the end will feel so far away, but you will get there and you will forget what is was like to be so tired.   

3.       Speaking of crying…You’re going to want to cry a lot at first. EVERYTHING will make you cry. Commercials, songs, crying babies, lack of sleep, thoughtful gifts and gestures, even the decisions you have to make for your baby like “He ate an hour ago, but he’s crying. I think he’s hungry. Should I feed him again? I don’t know. Should I wait a little longer? Should I just feed him now? I DON’T KNOW WHAT TO DO!” *start crying*. My advice is to CRY.  There is nothing you can do about it   

4.       The evenings will cause you to be anxious. So many moms and dads will tell you this, but there’s just something about 5pm that will make you nervous.

5.       You will never think you’re a “good” Mom. Everyone will tell you how great of a job your doing and your such a good mom, but you will never believe it.  You will always think you can do better and mom guilt is a real thing. 

6.       If at times you feel like you’ve “ruined” your life, you had it so easy before why did you make the decision to have a baby, know that you’re not alone with these feelings.  It doesn’t make you a bad mom to feel like this, it doesn’t make you crazy to have these thoughts.  It is perfectly normal to second guess why you wanted this so bad. 

7.       Showering, doing your hair or makeup, getting out of the house on time, just getting out of the house in general, will seem like a thing of the past. You will get into a routine and so will your baby and slowly but surely, you will find the time to get these things done again. 

8.       I can’t stress this one enough. DON’T COMPARE YOUR CHILD OR YOUR EXPERIENCES TO ANYONE ELSE’S. ESPECIALLY WHAT YOU SEE ON SOCIAL MEDIA. There’s nothing real or honest about social media posts. When I had my first son, we knew 3 or 4 other people who delivered right around the same time. Their posts consistently made me feel like I was the only one with a cranky baby and like I was the only mom who wasn’t enjoying the infant stage. Sometimes their posts still make me feel like my toddler is the only toddler who hates to eat and is really going through the terrible two’s.  But, after really talking to them about the problems I’m having with my 2 year old going on 13, and they let out a huge “we’re going through the same thing!” you realize they aren’t showing a real interpretation on social media.  Also, what their baby is lacking in, your baby is accelerating in and vice versa.  All babies develop differently and at different ages. The important thing is to focus on what your baby is doing, not what your baby isn’t doing yet.

I don’t tell you all of this to sound like a Negative Nancy and I surely don’t want to scare you. I’m giving you the advice I wish people had given me. I wish people were more real with me rather than make me feel like I wasn’t normal because of the experiences I was having.

Also, I want to let you know that I went through a pretty bad bout of Post-Partum Depression and I didn’t seek help until my son was nearly 14 months old. First, please seek help if you think you might be going through PPD. No one will think any differently of you as a mom or a person and the help will make you feel like so much weight has been lifted off of your shoulders.  Second, keep reminding yourself that you can and will get through it because they DO grow up and they WILL grow out of the stages that you think you will never get through.   

I hope when we’re all in the thick of it, we can remember this post, and it can be a light for some of you.  

Re: TW*First Baby advice you won’t hear anywhere else. (and hopefully a reminder to the STM, TTM, etc.)

• Options
    Thank you for posting such an honest take.  <3
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @riversdoctor that bathtub hack is awesome!!! I loved taking a bath with DS early on. Now when we do bubble bath I feel like I’m fighting with a shamus ahahah 
  • Options
    mrs_massiemrs_massie member
    edited January 2018
    OK first, I see where you are all coming from. I'm not the best writer and I was just jotting down my thoughts as they were coming to my head. I should have wrote "you may feel like this" or used words like "might" and "could" and "if", but this wasnt to say ALL moms will go through ALL or any of these feelings and emotions. It was to say no one told me these might be some of the things I was going to experience and it made me feel so alone and almost crazy. So, it was to say if you do feel any of this at any time, know your not alone because other moms have felt this way too, they just dont share this piece in fear of what others will think or because they don't want to make anyone feel scared about a new baby. 

Secondly, I know plenty of moms now that said they had a lot of the same feelings, but they didnt suffer from PPD. So please don't assume you have PPD if you do experience any of these at any time. Its comments like these that make us who did suffer from PPD feel like we were crazy, so please be sensitive to that. 

Last, there were and still are plenty of amazing things that I experienced, but in my opinion, its just as important to share the not so good stuff to. If someone had shared this kind of advice with me, I dont think I would have gone through as bad of a bout of PPD and I think its refreshing to know when, in a few months, I'm having a rough day, I can be reminded there's others having a rough day too.  

*Edited* I pray that none of you ladies feel any of these things and I pray that I don't feel like this again too. But, if I do, it would be nice to look back on this thread and see a more positive or uplifting response. Not just for me, but for the others who might wind of feeling some of these things too. 
  • Options
    scuba_chicscuba_chic member
    edited January 2018
    Edited because just wanted to remove
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @ladythrice It is really nice to hear that it might not be like this the second time around because I would like to feel like so many of you are saying you felt. Unfortunately, I expected to love being a mom because I had suffered from loss previously and wanted nothing more than a healthy baby.  I'm sure you can imagine how hard it is to be caught off guard by PPD and feelings of anxiety.  

I love love love being a mom now and enjoy my son and the stage we are currently in, no matter how hard the terrible two's are. But, this time around, I'm trying not to have any expectations, because I do fear that things will be the same again.  And if they are, i recognize that it is OK to admit it and its OK to except help.   

Again, I didn't mean for this post represent everyone's experience in motherhood, but I did want people to know that it might happen and if it does, there is a light at the end of the tunnel and you don't have to think your going through it alone. 
  • Options
    thanks for sharing that @AlphabetFish
  • Options
    @AlphabetFish everything you just said! I had a very hard transition from being an independent working woman to being a stay at home mom whose life revolved around a tiny human being who wasn't all that nice to me in the beginning! It was isolating. Those first few weeks are tough! You get through it and if there's one piece of advice I have for FTM's is nothing lasts forever - the sleepless nights, the agony of their first cold, cough, stomach bug. The teething, the spitting up, the blow out diapers, the fogginess of each day. You think the newborn phase is the hardest part - until your child reaches 2-3yrs old. Sh*t gets real then and you long for the days where you can put them in a rocker and they dont move. haha.
  • Options
    srose2917srose2917 member
    edited February 2018
    @mrs_massie Thank you so much for this info! I am a FTM and appreciate all of this! God Bless the honesty!