lets start another week....
me:35 DH:34
DS: born oct 2012
TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
          BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
          BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
fingers crossed for our rainbow baby

Re: weekly randoms 1/29

• @catlady1215 Yay! No GD!!! Awesome :) Fingers crossed that your thyroid issue gets resolved quickly!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • @catlady1215 That's awesome!! Are you in the clear now for the rest of pregnancy? Or will they test again?

AFM, any tips on how to get the paint smell out of your house? We are painting our entire house (interior) and despite leaving windows open, fans on (including our contractor's heavy duty fan), lighting candles, everything still smells like paint (it is low VOC paint).  I've been sleeping on a blow up mattress in DS's playroom to avoid the smell, but DS and H have been sleeping upstairs.  
  •   @marcus7676 I'm not sure. I'm imagining we'll have to test again? But not sure how. this damn endo office I deal with drives me insaaaaannne. so I'm going to wait and ask. all while counting down till when I can doctors :s
    me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • @krashke I don't blame you for waiting to paint. Neutrals are good because then you can decorate around it.  We bought this summer and have been renovating the third floor since October (turning one small room into a master bed / bath).  We combined the painting with this project.  The prior owners had an interesting taste in colors - - living room was a dark sage green (we have gumwood paneling, so it was dark), dining room was red (with gold! curtains), the nursery was green AND blue (painted with what looked like sponges), and the office was bright pink.  The trim in the current master was a dusty rose (with blue walls).  We didn't paint some of the rooms (the current master/bath and DS's room) but did do the trim and ceiling in those rooms. So it's a lot. And a lot of smells.
  • @marcus7676 WOW! That is a lot! But I bet it will feel so good when all those colors are gone. We can definitely tell that there were darker colors in some areas in the recent past. I.e. you can see a dark red peeking through some spots at the ceiling in the master and a kelly green in the hallway. If I had my way and money weren't an object I would hire someone to come scrape all of the popcorn off our ceiling and repaint it. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• @marcus7676 it’s so interesting to see what colors people had chosen! My kitchen was PUMPKIN ORANGE from its previous owners. Not a good color with (bleh) honey oak cabinets.  :s

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @catlady1215 yay for passing your GD screening!!

@marcus7676 I have heard really good things about this odor eating product line but I have not tried them myself:

https://www.freshwaveworks.com/store/pc/All-Products-c13.htm
  • @lisa2589 - I hate orange so an orange kitchen makes me cringe. Ours is currently a peachy-orange with dark brown cabinets and a gray blacksplash.  It's being repainted! 

@krashke popcorn ceilings are my nightmare. We have one spot that has it in our house, but it's not falling or cracking, so we are just leaving it.  Once all this is done my H is going to deal with our basement stairs, which have lead paint on the walls that is currently chipping.  We haven't tested, but it fits all the signs.  

Thanks @Miz_Liz! I'm going to do some digging to see if it works for paint!
  • My mum felt the baby kick yesterday! :) It was a delayed sugar reaction from the gender reveal cake, but still! :)

Odd question - I've already talked a bit about this with my dr, but I'm looking into IUD
    I've been on the patch and the pill before with no issues, but since we've already talked about a good 3-4 yrs before possibly baby 2 I was asking my dr about IUD {she said I'm fine health-wise for it, but it'd depend on after birth}

did any of you ladies have an IUD?
    does it feel weird/can you feel it?
    I've heard mixed answers, but do you still get your period with it?
    I've been using the diva cup, so if I still get it will IUD affect the positioning of diva cup? {don't laugh, I'm not entirely sure where IUD sits}
  • edited January 2018
    @MissKittyDanger
    did any of you ladies have an IUD? I did for like two months.
    does it feel weird/can you feel it?  You def can't feel it, sometimes you can feel the strings though, until they soften up.
    I've heard mixed answers, but do you still get your period with it? My experience is different than most, so take what i say for a grain of salt because i'm in the minority - but i bled for 6 weeks straight after getting it (some heavy, some spotting), and then it came out.  My body did not like it.  I hear it can go both ways though.  Some women still get a period, some dont. 
    I've been using the diva cup, so if I still get it will IUD affect the positioning of diva cup? {don't laugh, I'm not entirely sure where IUD sits} Nope!  IUD is placed in the cervix (uterus) and a diva cup just sits in your vagina. You may just have to be careful with the strings. 

ETA: i have the dumb and its Monday
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @MissKittyDanger I have not had an IUD, but I have a lot of friends who have the hormonal version, and they all love it. A few things to keep in mind: 1) You will likely spot for about a month; this is not always the case, but it is often the case, 2) You may get a regular "period" (it's obv not a real period), but generally this will eventually go away, 3) insertion can be painful, so my friends have all recommended taking a day off work for it, 4) I would imagine it should be completely fine with a diva cup -- the IUD is in your uterus, like where the baby is, not in your vagina. If you're talking about the copper IUD, though, then yes, you will have regular periods, and they may be heavier than usual for the duration of having the IUD. 
  • @MissKittyDanger I had an IUD before we started TTGP. I could feel it at first, but that went away. The insertion was definitely somewhat painful. I never fully lost my period, but it did get lighter. The IUD sits inside the uterus, so I THINK you should be able to keep using diva cups. I really liked mine, much more than pills or patch or ring. I am a FTM, so not sure what kind of limitations are involved with IUDs following delivery. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @MissKittyDanger
    did any of you ladies have an IUD? 
    yes for about 7 years. I always had a 5 year Mirena. First one for the full 5 years, second one taken out last August after 2 years before TTC
    does it feel weird/can you feel it? I didn't feel it in my uterus after it was put in. You can feel the strings hanging out of your cervix in your vagina. When I got my first one put in before the strings softened up and moved into place MH got a blister on the end of his penis from it rubbing during sex but that only happened once. It was painful to be put in but not bad, I had not had a child before and my dr said it is easier to put in on women that have had a child. I was actually her first one on someone who hadn't given birth. Some period cramps for a few days after. 
    I've heard mixed answers, but do you still get your period with it? I didn't. Maybe a day of some spotting but not enough to even wear a tampon or use a pad. With the IUD I could feel my ovulation more so I would get cramps from that. Oddly enough after the IUD was taken out I couldn't really feel my ovulation. 
    I've been using the diva cup, so if I still get it will IUD affect the positioning of diva cup? {don't laugh, I'm not entirely sure where IUD sits} Never used a Diva cup but you might not need it because even if you do get a period it will be lighter and shorter. An IUD prevents the lining of your uterus from thickening and therefore there is nothing there to have a period. There can be spotting or bleeding but that might not be related to a period. 

I loved having an IUD and I will be asking my Dr about how soon I can have another one put in after this baby. I'm not taking any chances with hormonal BC while BF. 
    *TW LC*

• @sunshineandwhiskey I didn't realize your body can reject it! Did you notice/feel when it came out?

@doxiemoxie212 I haven't talked about the type of IUD yet, since I can't do it until 6 weeks after birth. I'm off anyways, but I'll see if I can plan ahead in case I'm uncomfortable and need help with the baby. I think my husband will likely be at that appt since I'm pretty sure it's her first shots anyways lol

@LaceyBee522 I'm a FTM also, and my dr said as long as there isn't any issues that would prevent it that it shouldn't be an issue. If there is, she said she'll let me know but we're planning IUD at the 6 week check up.

Thanks ladies! You're super helpful :) 
  • @LaceyBee522 ugh the ring was the worst! One time while I was having sex with my boyfriend at the time it came out on his penis like a circus ring toss game! That was definitely a mood killer! Another time I lost it. IDK where it went but something felt off so I went to check that it was still in place and it was gone. This was also before BC was covered (thank you Obamacare) so each ring cost $25 and I was like well that was $25 down the toilette, literally. 
    *TW LC*

• @MissKittyDanger maybe? I'm not sure if the strings would puncture the condom, not that it would matter because would have the IUD. Probably wouldn't hurt. But it didn't happen after I got the second one put in so that might have just been a fluke.
    *TW LC*

• @krashke omg the circus ring toss game has me dying lol! :D:D:D:D

I actually didn't mind the ring, until I developed a DVT and that was the end of that.
  • @krashke Lol! I had a partner at the time who complained he could feel it. So, I just got in the habit of pulling the ring out before sex. 

@stephcat421 Oh no!! My doc actually stopped prescribing it for me bc of the increased risk of blood clots. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @MissKittyDanger It is definitely a very small chance of it happening haha I was doing a string check (things didn't feel right), and found a lot more than i bargained for.  I've known someone where theirs has physically fallen into the toilet too.  Again - rare! 
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My only experiences with IUDs are from friends. Most all of them loved the IUD while it was in, but most of them had issues when it needed to be removed.

I can say, though, that I used the Nexplanon implant for 2 or so years before we started TTGP. I had light spotting for the first month or so off and on while my body adjusted, but after that I didn't have a period the rest of the time. No intermittent bleeding or spotting, no weight gain, no hormonal issues, and my sex drive stayed normal.
    My plan is to use it again after birth. It can be placed immediately if I decide to.

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• @MissKittyDanger I had the Mirena IUD for 3 years before TTGP. I also have never had normal periods so my experience may be different than some of the others. I wasn't able to feel it once it was in and insertion was slightly more uncomfortable than getting a Pap. My doctor said that it's normally less painful for women who have given birth vaginally since you're cervix has already experienced that trauma. I had no spotting or bleeding at all once the Mirena was inserted, not even from insertion. I didn't get a period prior to my BFP so it's been like nearly 4 years since I've bled. I sometimes wonder if that's healthy for my body. Some months I would feel some mild cramping and little hormonal. So while the IUD was great for eliminating periods, I did feel like the hormones affected my sex drive and contributed to my anxiety levels. I'll probably look into the copper IUD after I have the baby until we're positive we don't want anymore babies and H gets a vasectomy.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So update re: my abnormal AFP result. My doctor just called me back and confirmed that the only diagnostic test is an amnio, but that essentially since my mat21 results, anatomy scan and NT scan all looked great, if she were in my position she would be comfortable moving forward without the amnio but obviously it's my decision (and that's how I was feeling prior to her call, as well). She said low AFP is weird in that research doesn't even fully know what, if anything, it's indicative of. So even if we did the amnio, it might not test for every single thing under the sun and it could come back normal when it isn't if it's some crazy random one in a billion thing, but likely it's fine. She'll want to do more monitoring with the pregnancy since it could be something non-chromosome related, but it takes two weeks to get amnio results back anyway, so it's not like I'd even get the results back in time to terminate the pregnancy, so to me it just feels like whatever will be will be. 

One thing she did mention is that she does not recommend re-running AFP blood tests because recent studies have shown that if you re-take AFP, it will normalize, and it can lead to a false sense of security. Which seems crazy to me - like the more times you run it, the more it will seem normal?? Weird.
  • @krashke I'm dying over circus ring toss LOL!
    Does the IUD prevent pregnancy right away? I know sometime dr's will suggest using something else for a couple weeks before it gets in your system

@harveyabbey77 Is IUD considered low dose or do they have varying ones? I was on low dose, so the copper one might be one I'll look at. I've entertained the idea with my H about a vasectomy at some point. I'm not entirely sold on a 2nd kid, but he wants to wait the few years we decided on before making decisions. {I also told him that 2nd kid should be his job, I took first round lol}
  • @doxiemoxie212 I'm glad you and your doctor are on the same page. I wonder if AFP is one of those things like HCG where there is a range and "normal" is just the average but what is normal for one person could be lower or higher than the average. 
    *TW LC*

• @krashke yeah, I think it's just one of those things that isn't fully understood yet. She said high levels are understood pretty well -- but it was interesting to hear it's not always fetus related; it's sometimes pregnancy related. Mine were slightly low, though, and they don't even really know what that means, especially since they can almost definitively rule out trisomy abnormalities from my mat21 results or the more common structural abnormalities from my anatomy scan. So... IDK. We shall see! 
  • @MissKittyDanger I'm not sure if it's considered low dose! It wasn't until I had the IUD removed in August and my sex drive came back and my panic attacks started to disappear that I made the connection that it could have been the IUD hormones playing a part in what was going on mentally for me. It was also the first time I had been off of birth control since I was 16 (I was on the pill when I got pregnant with DD). 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @harveyabbey77 It might be worth my asking since I already am on meds about anxiety :\ That's unfortunate for you to have dealt with it like that
  • @Amphibious22 when DH and I moved to DC for him to go to law school, I was so miserable about it, and DH hated it too. I had to quit my job, and it took a few months for me to find a new one, and we knew in the long run it was worthwhile because it was such a good school for DH, but ugh, we just thought DC was so much worse than NYC. But after about two years we realized that aaaccctually DC was awesome, and now we miss it like crazy, and we wish we'd been able to stay. I hope Phoenix surprises you and turns out to be a great opportunity and a place that you love (and I hope you realize it's that sooner than we did ;)). 
  • @Amphibious22 That's awesome, I hope you had a great time in Vegas.  It's on my bucket list to go there some day.  I'm also glad you came to a decision about whether or not to move.  It's tough uprooting but hopefully good things come from it.  Good luck with the position at Phoenix zoo!
  • On another note... DH and I are taking a spontaneous trip to Key West this weekend where the weather is supposed to be 73-75 degrees.  I can't decide if this is shorts weather (Key West falls into the category of places where I find it acceptable to wear shorts, to refer back to the last UO).  I'm packing a few pairs but I don't know if I'm in over my head.  Is it a breezy island?  Should I pack layers?  More capris instead?  I really hate when I pack too much for every sort of outcome and only wear a quarter of what I bring  :#
  • @becca_123 I feel like every time I’ve been to Florida it’s warmer than I’d expect given the temperature (as opposed to the Bay Area where the exact opposite is true), so I’d lean toward shorts weather. I’m already so overwhelmed about packing for our less-impromptu-but-still-impromptu Florida trip on feb 8. I’ve been so preoccupied by how to dress this new preggy body in the frigid cold I feel completely at a loss for wtf to wear in warm weather lol. Like shorts? I don’t have any shorts that will fit me now. Dresses? But I want to wear my comfy sneakers!  :D:D so I feel you. Would love to hear your key takeaways after this weekend lol. 
  • @doxiemoxie212 Thanks for the tips.  I suppose I'm lucky - I can still fit in most of my things with the help of hair tie.  You may just need to trade those comfy sneakers for flip flops and go the dress route - that or find somewhere that's selling maternity shorts this early  ;)  We don't come back until the 7th but I will update you during!
  • @Amphibious22 same here. Let me start with I have never been on BC. Went to get the IUD in 2012, it hurt so bad I made the doctor stop. Still had to pay the $100 copay for the IUD and the $50 for the doctor office visit. Biggest medical waste of $150. DH was just my bf back then, when I saw him and told him I didn't go through with it, he was so happy. Our relationship was about 4 months old at the time, and he said he felt like I didn't trust him, since I made no BC work for all those years (with my ex... he didn't say that part but that's what he meant).

I'm one of the few people I know that rhyming, pulling out, etc actually worked (and for over 10 years). I'm afraid to rely on it after birth though.
    Me:27 DH: 31 Married Since: 08/2016
    TTC: 08/2017 EDD: 6/11/2018 FTM
  • Hi ladies!  I got nothing today.

@amphibious22 I'm glad you have a decision made and will be thinking of you and your family as you make all of those changes!
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker