April 2018 Moms

Helpful Apps

I felt like it would be helpful to have a place to recommend and review apps that are helpful at this stage in our pregnancies and also those that are good for when our LOs are here. I’m sure not everyone uses them all the time but there has to be other app junkies like me! I had a few go tos when I had DD but that was almost 6 years ago, so I’d love to hear what everyone else likes. 

Me (33). DH (37). DD (2.2012). MCs x4. After 4 years & 7 months, due 4.2018!

Re: Helpful Apps

• Loading the player...
  • I was using Expectful for meditation. They have a lot of topics including pre and postnatal, spousal, etc; the guides are about 10 mins. The bedtime one is legit magic snooze medicine. It’s paid though :neutral:
  • Insight Timer is free and has some great pregnancy meditations.
  • Man my favorite app is my patient portal through my doc!  I honestly don’t know how I did it with dd before sites like this existed!  I got my gtt results within an hour of the lab draw and can message my provider whenever I need to without leaving a message to get lost in translation between reception and nurses! 
  • thisgirlagainthisgirlagain member
    edited January 2018
    Ignore this. It showed my comment didn't post earlier, but it did.
  • @kmalls I second full term!!! I went to download and realized it was the same one I used with DD.  It was great and I felt like I was able to time going to the hospital because I could accurately go in and see how I was progressing with contraction frequency and length.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yup, super helpful when going to the hospital! And it actually came in handy when the first nurse I saw tried to tell me I wasn’t in labor, just dehydrated :/ I was all UM NOPE and showed her the hours and hours I had been tracking my contractions as they got closer together. 
  • @kbamomma33 I second The Wonder Weeks!! It helped me keep my sanity some with my first!! So helpful and informative!!
  • @kbamomma33 I was just going to post about wonder weeks! I never read the books but I loved the app. Pretty much every time I was like, hmm, what's up with DD lately, she's extra fussy/clingy etc., I'd check the app and she would be in a new leap! It was surprisingly accurate and helpful.
  • @kbamomma33 I was just going to post about wonder weeks! I never read the books but I loved the app. Pretty much every time I was like, hmm, what's up with DD lately, she's extra fussy/clingy etc., I'd check the app and she would be in a new leap! It was surprisingly accurate and helpful.
    Yes! Exactly this!
  • Lol soooo wonder weeks was a total fail for me. I didn’t use it for DS and I think it would have been great. He hit every sleep regression hard and exactly when they were forecasted, so I think the app would have done a lot to ease my frustration. I paid for the app with DD and it literally told me nothing. She cried for 3 months straight, then skipped every sleep milestone after that. It was interesting to read the information, it just didn’t apply to our situation very much. I’d still recommend it, just with the caution that it may not be as spectacular for you as it is for so many others! 
  • I am excited to try this Full Term app out! Thanks for the suggestions ladies
  • Okay what about breast feeding app trackers? 
  • I use Ovia Pregnancy app with my first son and now this one. I like it because of the daily blogs and the symptom check and medication safety lookup aspects. I also started using Pregnancy+ because they have great lifelike pictures and good blogs. However, this was a paid app somewhere around the $4 range.  

With my son I used the Babysparks app for after he was born. It has daily activites for you and baby to participate in together to help development and bonding. There is a free version and an upgradeable version. I always used the free version and it worked great. 
  • angiek1 said:
    Okay what about breast feeding app trackers? 
    Have you heard of momsense? Its not just an app its an interactive breastfeeding meter.

https://mymomsense.com/ 

• @MrsMassimilla I haven’t - thanks for the tip, I will look into it
  • @riversdoctor That is some of the best and most logical advice I have ever heard in regards to breast feeding.

• @riversdoctor ooo i like the diaper idea! Im going to do that! 
  • @riversdoctor I did the hair tie thing with my daughter. She nursed so often when she was a newborn, and I was so exhausted, there was no way I could keep track of which side she had nursed last. 

I've been liking the ovia app for pregnancy, and I loved the wonder weeks app with my first. My partner and I use the Cozi app, and I have a feeling that's going to help us keep on top of everything when the baby is born. It has a shared calendar, sends everyone who's hooked up to it a daily agenda email, and you can create lists that sync to the app and allow everyone to add to. It's great for shopping lists! I just use the free version, and that's been sufficient for us. 
  • We used Total Baby for DD1. It’s a paid app but can by synced with my husband for feedings and I tracked all my pumping/stats and emailed myself that information to keep track of my stash, etc.

LactMed is great if you plan to BF and are unsure if a medication will affect it. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Glad this thread was started! Im downloading the Full Term, Wonder weeks, and Sprout apps now! 
    @riversdoctor love the hair tie suggestion. I would never have thought of that but it sounds simple and easy and free  :)
  • @codingchildhood the Cozi app sounds great!
  • Agree with @riversdoctor

I did use a breastfeeding app (sorry, can’t for the life of me remember what it’s called and it’s long ago deleted) that helped in the very beginning when DS was struggling with weigh gain. He was constantly falling asleep while nursing so the app helped me get a sense of how long he was actually actively drinking and not just latched and snoozing. The lactation consultant at my pediatrician would always ask, so it helped my peace of mind to have it tracked and not ballpark. That said, by two weeks old we had things under control and I ditched the app. 
    Yes! Exactly this!
    Also echoing that Wonder Weeks was totally worth the app purchase with DS. It was so accurate. It didn’t necessarily help with tips to deal with leaps but knowing it was a leap and normal was definitely reassuring.
  • @angiek1 Hey! Just came across this. It says its free and might be worth looking into

https://breastfeeding.teachable.com/p/ready-to-breastfeed/?affcode=59772_vtvaq3db