July 2018 Moms

Flame Free Friday Confessions

Re: Flame Free Friday Confessions

• I love this thread today! I feel like I'm a less dirty person because of these confessions!

I wash my bras like maybe once a month, hard to find size, they are NEVER on sale and are so expensive that I only have a few anyways. So rarely, but always in a lingerie bag on delicate and flat dry. But I do wash my sports bras each time, but that's because I sweat like a dude when I workout, so I don't have a choice.

I shower everyday, but I only wash my hair once a week except in the summer when I need to wash it twice a week.

I have 1 pair of pants. They happen to be jeans that are a true denim, zero stretch whatsoever. None. And nope, I don't wash them.

My confession today: I dress up when I go into the OBs office for an appointment. In my full pinup getup (or at least what is fitting these days). And I admit it's really fun sometimes to see how much side eye I can get, especially while everyone else there looks so comfy. I refuse to give into leggings, no matter how comfy they may be! I know the time is coming where I won't have the time or energy for the hair, makeup, etc, so I'm trying to enjoy having the time and energy.
  • Loading the player...
  • @stlmegs @acunamatada I love beat bugs (and so does DS). Someone told us about it when DS was a yellow submarine for halloween, lol. 

Also I have no issue with board set up, including the organization of the specific threads like STM/FTM whatever. I think as time goes on there will be questions in those threads, but right now, we don't necessarily have any big ones.  Also we have the questions thread, so maybe that is why people don't get specific in those threads all the time.  I know at the beginning when some of those threads were like, "Put em here!" with no organization I felt like I wasn't getting to know people or where they were in their pregnancy so it was harder to be involved in the thread.

I do understand the feeling of talking to yourself sometimes, as when I am on randoms sometimes I say something and no one will respond or love tit so I'm like, guess that didn't resonate with anyone? lol. From what people have been saying, I think there are a lot of sicknesses and busyness happening right now and maybe that feeling of talking to yourself will go away as people get better/get a handle on everything their going through!
  • Wow- I’m right on par with all of you- I’m currently wearing jeans to work that I’m pretty sure I’ve worn 5 times- I literally only wash them when dirty- I spot wash them if needed.

My confession is I am tired, cranky and stressed we are moving at home and I am not happy about it. We are moving in with my in laws to save money before baby. Anyway- I’m exhausted today at work and literally started crying when a coworker called me up with an urgent request. My confession is I am blaming all my rage on my pregnancy. I’m not sure if it’s because of my pregnancy or if it’s becasue I’m stressed- either way- I’m using my pregnancy as an excuse. (Which is wrong I know) that’s why this is a confession lol
  • @catftm2018 Given everything you've got going on, I'd say it's totally understandable to be stressed. Being pregnant is hard, moving is hard, dealing with people is hard, and to do it all together can just be sucky. And pregnancy is giving all of us an extra helping of hormones which compounds the stress! I've been a total rage monster this week myself. Just give yourself permission to take a break and take a breath! Focus on the positive outcomes and maybe find a way to treat yourself a little bit today or this weekend.
  • @celainev Sorry you're not feeling connected to anyone, I'm always happy to connect directly if you're looking for a buddy! I'm snarky and weird but I promise I don't bite!

I do get what you're saying about the super posters and the lurkers, I feel like most days I'm inbetween myself, and only have a couple days a week I can really be active on here. So I tend to comment only on a handful of boards. Personally I really like the organization, but it feeds my need for order and control. And I love the FTM boards, but I'm a FTM and some of the other threads can be a little overwhelming for me either with too much info or info I'm not ready for yet.

For me, posting or lurking, especially in the FTM board lets me know others are experiencing the same things I am and then I don't feel like I'm going crazy or like I'm somehow going through something weird all on my own for the first time.

Honestly, I don't have a lot of girlfriends IRL, and the few I have don't have kids so I don't have a lot of people to check in with to know what is normal and what isn't. My mother and grandma aren't good resources for me either because they both loved all their pregnancies, so when I got pregnant and started experiencing all the things no one wants to talk about or admit they hated about being pregnancy, I felt isolated even further.

I really appreciate the candidness of everyone here, so connected or not, I keep coming back. I do admit I usually don't have a questions by the time that FTM board rolls around each week, but that is mostly because the questions I did have sometimes are answered in other boards already when others have asked. I imagine as I get further along in this journey I will have some questions to ask that haven't been answered already!

• Add me to the showers 2-3 times a week club. I have a lot of long, thick, wavy hair and honestly it’s such a pain to dry and style that I just don’t feel like getting it wet and dealing with it all the time. I’m so envious of people who can take quick showers and are basically good to go. It’s such an ordeal for me. 

Also so not a fan of constantly washing jeans...outside of underwear and socks honestly I actually get most of my clothes dry cleaned twice a month...maybe that’s my FFFC. 
  • @pretzellover that is super interesting.  Now I'm going to be paying attention to that all the time!  lol
    Meagan
    <3 Married 6.12.10 <3
    DS 11.8.12
     Baby GIRL! due 7.4.18
  • @celainev @acunamatada thank you for not making me feel like garbage. I say juice can be the culprit. All he wants is juice juice juice. I tell my mom several times to give him water. I even give him some when I’m home. I drink water in front of him too. That’s all I drink now since becoming pregnant. Everything else tastes too sweet. Sadly, part time is not an option because college is just way too expensive and I’m not working at the moment. I get financial aid along with help from this ASAP program that pays for my books, transit fare and whatever financial aid won’t cover. In return I must do several workshops and attend seminars. It’s also why I’m away from him often. :( I’ll try to look into some online classes. Not sure if there will be many since I’m a science major and my courses require a lot of labs. 
  • powellgirlpowellgirl member
    edited January 2018
    I’m also in the rarely wash my hair club. I usually wash it twice a week, but when I’m pregnant it never gets greasy! Now I can wash it once a week or once every other week! I never exercise so it really doesn’t get sweaty or gross. I do wash it more often in the summer though.

@tarheelgirl8 I am exactly the same way with pizza! I just can’t get enough of it! I told DH to be prepared for these babies to go through pizza withdrawal when they arrive lol

ETA: I can see how some of you feel lost in all of the threads, but it really is better this way. If we didn’t have a single thread devoted to questions, they would all get buried and no one would ever answer them. I’m not able to get on as often as I like, so I just jump in when I can. 
  • I generally wash my hair every other day. I have curly hair so I just alternate between down on wash days and a messy bun on non wash days. If I straighten it I go 3 - 4 days without washing it  :D I’m not wasting all that hard work! Lol my hair is pretty dry so I can get by with it. 
  • ETA: I can see how some of you feel lost in all of the threads, but it really is better this way. If we didn’t have a single thread devoted to questions, they would all get buried and no one would ever answer them. I’m not able to get on as often as I like, so I just jump in when I can. 
    But they don’t get buried. You can even see on threads started by drive bys that questions still get answered. Exactly what @4deep said that we knew each other as a community, so anyone who was relatively active and introduced themselves could make a thread and wouldn’t get attacked by it. Questions would get repeated but not any more often than our Questions thread. I could make a post called “Severely itchy legs”  and everyone who struggled with this would post and/or give advice. It worked beautifully.

And yes, when there was a drive by we would usually respond with a cascade of gifs but that brought us together closer. There were negatives to that too but, like I said, it gave the opportunity for way more people to stay connected then, in my opinion, this order does. 

I honestly don’t believe anything will change now, nor do I believe everyone wants change, but it is FFCF so I thought I’d share how I was feeling. 
  • My confession is I have literally ZERO sex drive right now. But then I have weird sex dreams. I don’t get it. Where’s the want when I’m awake? Reason number 273637 why I love my husband. He’s such a trooper and hangs in there with me and doesn’t make me feel guilty about it. But I do. I feel guilty. Come back sex drive! 
  • I only shower every other day, or sometimes less if my hair isn't too greasy, but I have to confess on behalf of my husband. He doesn't shower enough at all, and sometimes it's gross. On Wednesday, I realized he hadn't showered since the previous Friday. He works in a restaurant and is on his feet all day. 

Also, I was starving and didn't feel like cooking dinner, my husband is at a meeting tonight and baby is in bed. So I ate half a baguette with olive oil, and a bunch of chips and salsa. Now I'm sitting here contemplating making a pizza bagel. What is wrong with me. 
  • @noideawhatshesdoing thank you for validating my feelings. I am going through lot so of stress- I’m geberaly super laid back person so all these waves just got to me. Also- I’m sorry you don’t feel as supported by the females in your family. But we are all here to support you! 
  • @celainev it’s funny about perspective because I didn’t see many posts from you but now if feels like you are a “regular” lol I do understand what you are saying about the boards. Like sometimes I just want to make a post about something and see how many of you are feeling that way/ going through the same thing. I also see the organized board people side. And I know it irritates me when there are those dumb one off posts or the nub theory! Lol I’m neutral I guess. But I completely see your point. 
  • @zande2016 ick you poor thing. My husband works in a reataurant too. Nothing is worse than that smell of the kitchen closing sludge he tracks home at the end of a close shift. He knows better than to come into bed smelling like that or they’ll be hell to pay. 
  • @acunamatada in his defense his restaurant doesn't cook much, it's a quick service salad place. So the food smell isn't terrible but he's on his feet and moving around all day, so it's still gross that he doesn't shower. 
  • @zande2016 ahh lucky! Still gross though! 
  • I also don't shower daily, but "worse" than that is...

I brush/comb my medium-length hair about once a YEAR. It's not knotted, I alternate up and down throughout the day depending on what I'm doing. I wash my hair about 2x a week regardless of showering. It's just kind of wavy, and naturally stays in smooth locks. If I comb them out my hair frizzes out like crazy.

@ashbub714 I have been told by curly hair experts that you really shouldn't use shampoo on your curls ever. There are "no-poo" washes that are basically just conditioner. And then, like my hair, you don't brush it out. My coworker does this and her long curly hair is so nice.

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • @flockofmoosen3 I’ve heard that too. And I’ve actually tried it briefly but there’s a pretty long adjustment period to it and I’ve just never commited. I only use a wide tooth comb on my hair right after showering. Otherwise my curls stick together too much and they look “chunky”. 

I really should give “no poo” another try someday. 
  • @flockofmoosen3 I had no idea that what "no poo" meant lol
  • @ashbub714 give it a try! I cut sulfates and silicones out of my hair products and my hair has never been less frizzy.  
  • @4deep @ashbub714 Same. Poor hubby has been suffering but I got nothing. 
  • @ashbub714 give it a try! I cut sulfates and silicones out of my hair products and my hair has never been less frizzy.  
    @acunamatada I use sulfate free shampoo but haven’t found a good affordable mousse or gel. Got any suggestions? I need less frizz in my life. 
  • @ashbub714 you should try hair product lines like Shea moisture, kinky curly, carols daughter, mixed girls, Jane carter solution etc. I can list a bunch. I use Cantu. I don’t shampoo often. I co-wash my hair. It’s like a creamy deep conditioner you use in between washes. Jamaican black castor oil is my life saver for moisture but it’s so thick. So I sometimes use rosemary hip oil when my hair is damp. You can try coconut oil. It is much lighter than both oils. 
  • @ashbub714 I’d say the cheapest decent gel I’ve used is ecostyler- super cheap, I have huge jug on my counter. I havent had any luck finding a good mousse, I think the deva line has one but theyre usually pricey. I looove shea moisture for their sulfate free shampoo and deep conditioners. 
  • @ashbub714 I swear by Moroccan Oil. I don't use their shampoo and conditioner regularly (too expensive) but the curl defining cream is amazing. I just put it in wet hair and let it air dry and it prevents all the frizz and leaves nice wavy curls. They make mousse too I believe. 
  • @chicxulub @acunamatada @zande2016 thanks for the awesome suggestions ladies! I’ll look into those. I guess I haven’t really tried that hard to find something lol I tried devacurl products but they were super pricey and again I didn’t commit to the process long enough to see good results.
  • I second what @chicxulub said about SHea Moisture! not only does it get rid of my frizz but its got a lot of other great things about it-the company is a b-corp, it tries to use fair trade ingredients, they don't use a lot of chemicals, its great!
  • I envy those with curly hair. +1 in Shea Moisture!
  • @wildtot I envy women with just straight or just curly hair. Mine is mostly straight now but behaves like it's curly...hence the zero brushing/combing.

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • @flockofmoosen3 my hair is straight thick and heavy. If i try to curl it it takes about 2-3 hrs only for it to go flat in an hour. I have some wave in the back way underneath but just makes it look weird lol. 
  • @flockofmoosen3 I am so jealous of your hair! Mine is also curly, but it tangled so easily. I could never go that long without combing mine!