June 2018 Moms

Weekly Questions | w/o Jan 8

Re: Weekly Questions | w/o Jan 8

• Ok I originally had a long, annoying paragraph typed out about how confused I was and asked what you guys would recommend but it sounded sooo mom newbie so I'll keep it simple!  After reading on Lucie's List, I can't decide what to add to my registry between a RnP, bouncer and swing.  I don't feel like starting off with all three so I was thinking a RnP and bouncer.  Space isn't an issue, just don't want waste, y'know?  We're planning on the baby sleeping in Uppababy bassinet the first few months in our room before transitioning her to the crib, thus eliminating need for PnP straight away.  Does it sound smartish?  I'm not against buying something for the baby after she is born if what we already have doesn't seem to be working for her.

Also, I wasn't sure if this should go in the toy spotlight or the sleeping surface spotlight so I added it here.  

• catlady1215catlady1215 member
    edited January 2018
    @becca_123 can you borrow items from someone after baby comes? then if you have to give it back, you'll atleast know what they like? cause sometimes they can be picky. For instance, DS liked his swing. but when it came to bouncers, we had 2 different ones. he didn't like the one (we did eventually get use out of it when he was older.. put it in the upstairs bathroom for when i showered. he got over the dislike by then). But liked his other one, it had more of a bounce to it.
    we used the RnP for sleep at night. but think i'm getting another for downstairs also this time. PnP, we had it set up downstairs. but didn't use much at first since he slept in the RnP, and we got super lazy pretty quick and didn't always use it for diaper changes. those happened where ever we were. 
    me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • Loading the player...
  • @catlady1215 I do have a friend who is ttc #2 that said I can borrow stuff but as far as I know she just has a RnP and I was already set on one of those.  I'll definitely see what else she has!
  • Has everyone started their registry/ies? Where are you making them? I haven't started anything yet but now that it's the new year and I'm 16 weeks tomorrow I feel like I should probably get on that soon. FTM so totally new at this. 
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • @becca_123 we just had a momaroo and bassinet with DD. We used the bassinet maybe like 3 eeeks since she mostly slept in the pack n play and napped in the mom a roo. I definitely think I'm going to get a RnP with this baby. I've heard good things about it. Only thing is not sure if baby is supposed to sleep in it at night. We also had a swing that one of our friends gifted us. DD hated it. I guess each kid is different. Could you pick some up at a resale shop like kid to kid? That way you don't use it, maybe you can donate it to a local church/daycare?
  • @elsie42 I'm going to wait until I find out the sex next week to start my list. I'm a STM so have most of the big stuff already. Just need the essentials that I won't be able to reuse with this baby. Do you have any S+TM you're close to that can go with you to BRUS or Buy Buy Baby? For DD1 I took a TTM with me and she gave me details about each item I was interested in. I was able to take in her experience and my research and then ultimately decided what I needed/wanted.
  • @elsie42 My mom picked a date for my baby shower so I basically used that as incentive to get cracking on the list - even though it's super early but I feel the need to have a list ready early on and be prepared!

@abteamb I took a wander into Once Upon a Child the other day to see what that was all about, and they had a few.  Not sure how easily washible the covers are since that is my main priority but I definitely think that's a smart idea if we choose to go for a lot of these surfaces.  Knowing me, I'd likely just buy new though.  As for the RnP, I believe it's not rated to be slept in overnight (it's not flat) but a lot of moms do it anyway since babies seem to sleep well in it and it's good for those with reflux due to the slight incline.  Obviously not all though.
  • @becca_123 my philosophy was this: I picked out the ones I liked of all of them and registered for all of them. Chances were, I wasn’t going to get all of them so I’d use what I was gifted and if I ended up wanting something else I’d get it later. I ended up with a RNP, pack n play, and my bassinet. I contemplated getting him a swing but never did. I think they’re all valuable and good, and whatever you go with will also be good. You’re right though, there really are so many options that simply fill the need of “where to lay baby.” Because of that reason you likely won’t go wrong with any of them. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Austenista I think that's a good philosophy and likely what I'll end up doing, or borrow from a friend.  It seems agreeable that one really isn't better than the other.  
  • @elsie42 started the registry like a week before Christmas. We've already received 4 items. One of which was a pregnancy pillow so that was great, bc I LOVE IT. And needed it a lot more than I thought I did. Ours is Amazon. Its also helpful because my boss' wife had a baby in August she looked at our registry and gave us a couple items that they aren't using that were on there. Plus I am TEAM early shower. Like as soon as you know the sex (assuming you are finding out the sex) send out the invites. I live in Houston, it will be hot around March. I don't want to sit through a shower miserable, hot and sweaty in May. So the sooner the better.
    Me:27 DH: 31 Married Since: 08/2016
    TTC: 08/2017 EDD: 6/11/2018 FTM
  • @becca_123 I agree with registering for all and seeing what happens. DD absolutely hated the bouncer and swing. It was torture. Luckily our swing was a hand me down and the bouncer was a gift or I’d be pissed haha

@elsie42 STM so I’ve started it to get the amazon box. I’ve gone through and edited it a bit but will really work on it when we find out the sex in a couple weeks. We’re really only planning on using it for the discount soooo *shrugs*  :D
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @elsie42 I'm making secret/private registries at literally every baby store I can think of. I'll un-private/secret one of them if I end up having a shower (doubt it), but I just want the completion discounts, etc., for DH and I to buy what we want closer to the date. 
  • On the swing / bouncer / RNP question: a bouncer is really a later toy. DS used his around 6-10 months. I honestly would wait to buy this so you aren’t storing it now. 

We registered and and received a swing. We ended up buying a second one because that was all DS slept in. He hated the RNP (bought and returned to Target) and the mamaroo (bought and sole on Craigslist). We also tried a PNP and cosleeper, which weren’t successful. Every baby is different. Put what you want on the registry with the understanding that you may be amazon priming something new to yourself at week 3. 
  • We'll be going to make a registry after our a/s most likely. I talked to H about going this weekend on Sunday, but I'm not sure he's in to it. After this weekend I have to hash out time between school and work, so it's more difficult for me to go.
    Most likely it'll end up being the second weekend in February when we go set up ours.

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• Same! Mid-February should be about when the start of year busy at work dies down, and we'll have the boy/girl answer, so it seems like a good time to finally do some registry-ing. It will *hopefully* be more of a personal shopping list than a true registry, since I'm trying to avoid a shower (or at least keep it to a "let's brunch and you can bring your favorite children's book if you want" sort of thing), but we'll see!
  • Are most of you going physically to stores to set your registries up? I’m just doing it online... I never went into stores to set anything up for my wedding registry...
  • @doxiemoxie212, I'm going an Amazon registry, and about 95% of my registry week is online. I value reviews and things like Lucies List highly as a FTM. But some of the bigger things like a stroller, glider, and carseat I have checked out in a store too to see how they feel and test them out. 

AFM, most my registry is completed, but I'm sure I'll add a few clothes and bedding items once we find out the gender in two weeks. My first shower invites go out this week, so I wanted my registry to exist when they are received.

Me: 30 | DH: 31
    Met: August 2006
    Married: July 2012
    TTC #1 since June 2016

***TW***

BFP: 7/12/16 | MC: 9/12/16
    BFP: 1/18/17 | MMC: 2/13/17
    BFP: 10/7/17 | EDD: 6/21/17

MTHFR: homozygous A1298C
  • @icecubeinthedesert yes! I hate shopping in person bc I need to see the damn reviews!
  • FYI, regarding clothes on registries, most stores do seasonal clothing, so dont register for them too early or they may not be in stores anymore when people shop. 
    DD:3 | DS:1
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Thanks for all the input everyone! Just signed up for that Lucie's List google doc and I'm busy reading reviews for everything now. I was already thinking about doing Amazon for one of our registries because we live far away from our families so it would be nice to have everyone be easily able to ship stuff to us (although I do realize that most stores ship now). I'd also like to do one in-store registry for my family that prefers to shop that way and also so I can check some things out in person. Does anyone have opinions on Target vs. BRU? I like that you can get money back with BRU but I'm not sure if maybe Target has better deals/prices? Thoughts?
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • @doxiemoxie212 Basically the same as the other ladies. It'll be 100% online specifically because my shower will be in Canada and I need a shipping option because I won't be able to bring a lot of stuff back to me.  I also don't want to be pressured by a sales lady who tells me I need more than I actually do.

I definitely need to see those reviews!  When I purchase anything in-store I check out reviews online first.  It just seems a hassle to do that all in-store for a baby registry, even though I think it would be way more fun and exciting to do it that way!  
  • what I did with our first was go to the stores to physically start it. also, letting DH  use the gun helped keep his interest ;) I wanted to make sure a good chunk of our stuff was actually available in store for all the older people that wouldn't be buying online. But after the initial store visit, I did a lot of tweaking online... reading reviews.. changing colors or watching for things to discontinue etc.

this time, i'll only do online cause it'll be private. just for us to get a discount. we don't expect gifts. especially since its a second boy.
    me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • With our wedding we did one in store (and edited online later) and we did one completely online. It was the only way to get MH to participate. Even in store only kept his attention for a few minutes. MH doesn't even really want to register, he's dumb enough to believe if you don't register people will give you cash and gift cards (yeah no, they'll just get you whatever).
    Me:27 DH: 31 Married Since: 08/2016
    TTC: 08/2017 EDD: 6/11/2018 FTM
  • Registry: We will probably just register online this time around for the discounts.  Since this is #3 I certainly don't expect gifts from anyone.  Except maybe family.  :P  

@becca_123 As for the RnP/PnP/Bouncer/Swing questions: Neither DD or DS liked the swing.  My parents bought it for us so I've felt obligated to keep it...we'll try it with #3 but I'm not holding my breath.  DS loved the bouncer and would nap during the day in that.  RnPs weren't a thing when DD was born and we did not own one with DS either.  We survived.  :)  We were gifted the PnP with DD and used that when we traveled so that was nice to have but both babies came home and slept in the crib from the get go.  I didn't want to have to worry about transitioning from the RnP to the PnP to the crib or whatever sequence you choose...but for those middle of the night scream fests when baby won't sleep in anything BUT one of those listed above, sometime you get desperate and do what you have to do.  haha  I have found that it really is personal preference and what your baby likes.  Like someone suggested, if you can purchase second hand or borrow, that'd be the best up front.  It is a lot of "stuff" to store, especially if they don't use/like it!  
    BFP #1 October 2008 | m/c Thanksgiving weekend | November 2008 | 7 weeks 2 days
    BFP #2 February 2009 | m/c March 2009 | 4 weeks 3 days
    Testing on mom and dad for possible reasons all came back normal.
    BFP #3 8/4/2009 | DD born 3/28/10 @ 38 weeks
    BFP #4 5/13/11 | m/c 6/15/11 | 8 weeks 6 days
    BFP #5 2/13/13 | CP 2/19/13 | 4 weeks 
    BFP #6 3/21/14 | Heard the HB on 4/16 | m/c 4/21/14 | 9 weeks
    Testing results all returned normal and baby was a GIRL.
    More testing on mom and dad for other issues all returned normal results.
    BFP #7 10/15 | DS born 6/4/16 @ 36 weeks 
    BFP #8 9/28/17 AHHH!!!  |  EDD 6/6/18

"Dear Lord, I would have loved to have held my babies on my lap & tell them about you, but since I didn't get the chance, would you please hold them on your lap & tell them about me?"
    All are welcome!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @elsie42 - as a STM I would recommend registering at 2 IRL places, for your first. (Plus online for your interweb savvy peeps)
    Most folks will just head to BRU... and see if you are registered there, I found. And if you are registering at Target, WalMart or other store that family normally shops at that helps too... Each store offers different things, patterns, brands, price points, products etc. We found the super compact swing we wanted, and the stroller and accessories we wanted at a different store from BRU, and so registered a couple places. Plus you can register for gift cards at each place, very handy!

Mama to a wonderful DD - Sep 2015, Wife to my DH since 2011, 2 dogs, a cat, and hoping to add No. 2 in May/June 2018. Canadian.
    5 - IUIs, 3 - IVF retrievals, 2- failed transfers (fresh, and frozen), PGS on second IVF resulted in 1 perfect emby, and DD. 
    3rd IVF w PGS resulted in 3! perfect embys. 1st transfer - Sep 2017 2 more on ice. 
  • @becca_123 For the RnP/PnP/Bouncer/Swing dilemma- I second (or 3rd/4th) the suggestion to borrow anything you can from friends.  Every kid is different.  I had a baby that slept well in the RnP and not in the bassinet- so we used the RnP a lot.  This time I'm probably moving the RnP downstairs for naps and either getting another one for upstairs or a Halo Bassinest since I won't have to get out of bed to pick him up for night feedings.  DD hated the swing for the first month- than liked it- and now that she's too big for it is OBSESSED with climbing in it.  I had a cousin that would only nap in the swing and his sister screamed like she was being murdered if she was put in it.  Every kid is different- even in siblings- so products may work for one vs another. 

I have found not all babies like bouncers.  DD liked her bouncer- she had toys that were attached- and I used it when I would shower because it was small enough to bring into the bathroom.  Fingers crossed this little guy likes it too- cause mama needs to shower everyday in the summer.

The PnP is at my moms because she watches DD 2 days a week and she uses it for naps. If we go on vacation we will take it from my parents and use it for travel.  They are expensive for occasional use- so secondhand or shower gift is the way to go- don't bother with the extras you just need a place for baby to sleep.  Even if you don't buy one I would still recommend getting 1-2 PnP sheets as many daycares will use PnPs for naptime before transitioning to mats.  We had to provide PnP sheets to daycare even if we didn't have one.

@elsie42 we did the amazon registry for the welcome box- and mostly have diapers in it right now.  I also just started a BRU registry last week for this one.  BRU has 10% cash back on the first $300 so we put everything on there- even stuff we are planning on getting for DD.  I'm a STM so I won't be having a shower, but I also know that we need replacement bottles/nipples and we are having a boy this time so will need to get a few items that we got pink and girly with DD.  I also add in items I am getting for DD on BRU since I get cash back- I loaded up the registry with the diapers in her size and added a toy box since I want to add one in her room.  I will probably add a toddler bed to the registry too in hopes that we can use the crib for LO- but I might have to add the crib moments before we buy it.  Amazon and BRU both have apps that make building the registry dangerously easy.  BRU is also having a sweepstakes this month- $2500 gift card drawing for all new registries (or to anyone that adds a product to an existing registry).  Good luck on winning the gift card if you start one this month there.

me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
    BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
    BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• to piggy back off of @marcus7676 - just if you are getting a new vehicle as well... (okay, so a tad off topic) 
    - we took our car seat, CAR shopping with us. DH is a big man (6"6' and 300 plus lbs) so we are already tough to fit car wise... And we literally installed the car seat and tried out the car fit with it installed and tried to pretend to take wiggly kid in and out... Helped up tremendously! 

And I am +1 for trying out the strollers/travel systems in person. Putting them up and down, lifting them, straps, size, handles, storage, and walking feel... give them a spin!!
    Mama to a wonderful DD - Sep 2015, Wife to my DH since 2011, 2 dogs, a cat, and hoping to add No. 2 in May/June 2018. Canadian.
    5 - IUIs, 3 - IVF retrievals, 2- failed transfers (fresh, and frozen), PGS on second IVF resulted in 1 perfect emby, and DD. 
    3rd IVF w PGS resulted in 3! perfect embys. 1st transfer - Sep 2017 2 more on ice. 
  • Maybe this is a little early but I'm wondering if anyone knows of any great books and/or podcasts for preparing to breastfeed. Even though this is my second, I feel totally unprepared and want to go into the experience armed with as much knowledge as I can! 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @harveyabbey77 I have Ina Mays guide to breastfeeding. While I never read it, I hear it is awesome lol and I may actual crack it open this time. 
    Married March 2016
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @harveyabbey77 check out youtube - there are some great tutorials on there (both bare breasted and demo'd on non-breasts)
  • @doxiemoxie212 @sunshineandwhiskey Thanks ladies! I checked my library and they happen to have a copy of the Ina May book available.  
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @harveyabbey77 I also took a class through the hospital and I know those classes get a bad wrap, but I thought it was great! 
    Married March 2016
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @harveyabbey77 I really like the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, which sounds totally gross and weird but is actually very good: https://a.co/cdL6ULo. I've  never read Ina May's, though I love her Guide to Childbirth and assume I'd like the breastfeeding one as well!
    Me: 34 
    Husband: 35
    Married: June 2007
    Son Max born 1/10/17
    BFP #2: 10/5/17; EDD: 6/11/18
  • We're starting our registry for BRU in store, both because you're supposed to get free things and I like free things, and because H isn't in to online shopping as much as the average person is.
    We'll make an Amazon registry as well, though, so that'll be totally online.

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• Hey guys, I think this is probably a weird question, but I'll ask it anyway. If you forget to take your prenatal, do you double up the next day? Or just take the next day as normal and kind of shrug off the missed day?

I've been totally screwed up on my schedule while traveling for work and managed to forget my vitamins Monday AND Tuesday. I'm already a terrible mother!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @LaceyBee522 I would not double up - I’m not sure your body would actually absorb it, and I think it would be unpleasant. Missing a day here or there shouldn’t be a big deal. It’s not like birth control pills ;)

(i usually miss one day a week by accident) 
  • @doxiemoxie212 Thanks! That's what I figured, but got in my head and started totally overthinking it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker