August 2018 Moms

UO Thursday 12/28

2»

Re: UO Thursday 12/28

• I dislike most MLMs in general but Usborne books are my exception. The books are so unique and great quality and books aren’t a fad that will go out of style. Their books tend to be more grow in concept then books I find in a store. 
    Me: 35 DH: 47

HX
    DSS: 20
    DSD: 17
    DS: 4(Nov'14)
    MMC:8/17
    MMC: 1/18
    BFP: 2/7/19 EDD:10/16/19

Tickers
    BabyGaga
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Also hate hate hate mlm. I also don’t prefer shopping that way, and the pushy nature and ‘I’m a small business owner!’ (Um no you aren’t. As the daughter of a small business owner and entrepreneur... yeah no)... so annoying.

i do like usbourne books but you can get them at Barnes and noble etc!

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks @hardlyhannah! I love skinny taste! I didn't even realise she had a stroganoff recipe.  
  • @pghctwife I hate the pushy people too but that’s the people not the business. I’m curious why you don’t consider it a small business though? People invest a lot of time and money into becoming successful at whatever their brand/product is. I don’t think that should be discredited. It helps a lot of families. 

August '18 March Siggy Challenge - You had ONE JOB

Pregnancy Ticker

• I have some LLR leggings but I need to be super lazy to leave the house in them.  So ugly but so comfortable. 

Regarding MLM's, I've lost friends because they were so obnoxious and pushy about their product.  I do use BeautyCounter because I love the products and no one has ever pressured me to sell for them.  
    History and blog link in spoiler
    2016 - dx with super low ovarian reserve; failed cycle with clomid, failed IUI, 
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos
    Fresh transfer Dec 2017= BFP!  baby boy born 8/22/18

May 2019 - surprise natural pregnancy ended in MC
    Nov 2019 FET; MC at 9 weeks
    May 2020 FET; BFN
    July 2020 FET; CP treated with methotrexate
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• @pghctwife I am eye to eye with you, I think some/many work really hard but they are also utilizing the product/marketing materials/brand recognition provided to them, so very different from creating your own business from the ground up. I am torn on MLMs, I see the benefits of allowing people ways to work from home and supplement their families' income, but ultimately they are pyramid schemes so people at the bottom are inevitably getting screwed while those at the top get rich. 
    *TTC History*

Me: 37, MH: 38; Married August 2017

TTC #1 October 2017: BFP on 12/1/2017, DD born 7/24/2018 @ 37+1 after induction due to preeclampsia

TTC #2 January 2020: AMA, dx with DOR in May 2020

IVF July 2020: 16 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 12 fertilized, 3 blasts, 2 PGT-A normal

FET 10/7/20: BFP on 10/12/20!!! (EDD 6/25/21); First beta 10/16/20 (9dpt): 148; Second beta 10/19/20 (12dpt): 621; Third beta 10/26/20 (19dpt): 4732; Fourth (and final!) beta 11/2/20 (26 dpt): 22,000+

• @pghctwife @legallykate 100% agree regarding the small business thing.  It's not the same when you are given the materials and most of your promotional materials as well.  And by given, I do understand that people pay a lot of money to access those goods, but they were not created by that person's hand.  I would MUCH prefer to give my money to someone on Etsy or a craft show and know that person isn't going to pressure me to hold a party to sell their crap.  But, I certainly understand the benefits it can provide for some families.  It's just 10,000% not for me and is an annoyance to me more than anything.
    ::hops on this train::

Also do not agree that it's a small business, not because they haven't worked hard or invested time, but because they didn't build it from
    the ground up/invest in its production.  It's a sales job, not your own business.

• I see the point of it being more of a franchise, I can get behind that. But I still don’t think it’s fair to completely discredit it. If you purchase from a distributor of whatever you’re still helping them earn money for themselves/Family and that’s better than going to a true big box store in some cases. I’ve seen my good friends do really well so I know the impact it can have on people’s lives, even if they’re not at the very top. Personally I just casually do it because I work full time and even that has helped us supplement daycare costs which has been huge. 

But, I’m not pushy and I also avoid confrontation (no warnings heeeeey!) so I’m probably done defending it lol

Pregnancy Ticker

• I absolutely LOATHE LLR "clothing". I am firmly in the "leggings are not pants unless you're 5-13yo, or are of a certain physique" camp. And their tops are some of the ugliest patterned fabric I've ever seen outside of an upholstery shop, and they fit like a trash bag.

I ended up cutting a good friend out of my life last year in large part due to her insane pushiness trying to sell her LLR every time we'd get together for lunch or coffee. Every get-together felt like she was carnival barking at me, even after I'd made my opinion on LLR very clear.

I get she's excited about being overweight  and comfortable looking like a sausage casing when she leaves the house, but this chubby gal will continue to dress tastefully in things that flatter my curves and hide my belly.

• About two months ago, I posted a new profile picture on FB and a mutual friend sent me a PM, telling me how great I looked.  And I could look even better if I tried some of the products she sold!

Like, for real? That's how low you'll stoop? Thanks for the "genuine" compliment and way to seize any opportunity to push your product.

• @msmonalisavito I had a "friend" do the same right after DD was born. Sorry I don't want to hear about team beach body and shakeology at 10 days postpartum. Kthanksbye.
  • Another fashion-related one: I think matching Christmas PJs for kids are cute, and even can be cute for families. However I saw some families this year where the whole family including the dad was wearing leggings, or the dad was wearing tight elf clothes etc - I find some of them just really take it too far and the parents (dads especially) can look a bit ridiculous and I feel bad for these guys. I almost never share UOs but I am trying to force myself a bit, I already feel bad writing this lol.

• @alinafed Ha! I agree. I would never ask DH to wear leggings.  He's a good sport, but there are things that other people just shouldn't see.

@neeraja_k I just want to throw my support out there in that I'm sure you didn't mean to offend anyone.  Each body type has styles that flatter and styles that don't.  Stacy London taught us that.
  • @juliebird6 No, not my intention. I'm a chunky girl myself and I'm not knocking comfort, as I'll run to the grocery in yoga pants once in a rare while. I just think there's a narrow window of who leggings actually look good on, and I am not one of those people. :P

I also don't have a high opinion of the former friend after finding out that she tried to sleep with my husband while I let her stay in my house, rent free, for over a year after she got evicted and couldn't pay her rent anywhere else in town. So I'm a bit jaded from all of that still. *shrug*

• that’s not exactly what you said. you said you had to cut her out of your life due to her pushiness of her LLR and then body shamed her....
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd started distancing myself from her due to the aggressive LLR marketing shortly after she moved out. I'm not knocking supplemental income at all, but when it's all you talk about over coffee with friends and then resorting to sending spammy voicemails and Facebook messages about sales and new items, even after asking her politely to stop. 

When I told my husband about it all and my decision to stop talking to or interacting with her anymore, he mentioned he was glad and said that she'd made passes at him, trying to get him to sleep with her. He said he told her it was highly inappropriate, and that's as far as it went. She moved out a few weeks later.

He said he didn't want to say anything at the time because she was my friend and he didn't want the drama. Which the time frame was all around the time my dad was in the hospital dying, so I'm sure that factored into his decision to keep it to himself as well.

Finding that out just cemented the decision I'd originally made.  
  • neeraja_k said:
    I'd started distancing myself from her due to the aggressive LLR marketing shortly after she moved out. I'm not knocking supplemental income at all, but when it's all you talk about over coffee with friends and then resorting to sending spammy voicemails and Facebook messages about sales and new items, even after asking her politely to stop. 

When I told my husband about it all and my decision to stop talking to or interacting with her anymore, he mentioned he was glad and said that she'd made passes at him, trying to get him to sleep with her. He said he told her it was highly inappropriate, and that's as far as it went. She moved out a few weeks later.

He said he didn't want to say anything at the time because she was my friend and he didn't want the drama. Which the time frame was all around the time my dad was in the hospital dying, so I'm sure that factored into his decision to keep it to himself as well.

Finding that out just cemented the decision I'd originally made.  
    Serious side-eye to your husband. It didn’t bother you that he didn’t tell you right away? I’d be royally pissed, no matter the circumstances.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• @lalala2004 Kind of, but at the same time no. We've been married for going on 15 years and I've never been given a reason to not trust him.

My best guess was that he felt it was done and handled in his mind, and then she moved out. And like I said, my dad was in the hospital for a few days and then passed suddenly, and having to deal with being an only child and taking care of all of those sudden arrangements with a mom who was in complete denial about it all, and I guess it went to the back of his mind and forgot to mention it.
  • Meh, I don’t mind MLM if I like the product. I do agree that most people won’t be successful with them, but some are. I don’t like obnoxious people in general, so I unfollow all obnoxious people on Facebook, MLM sellers included. The ones I don’t like are the ones that try to convince you to sell it, too. Because eventually the market will be saturated. Just let me buy the thing. I’m never going to be successful at selling anything.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Meh, I don’t mind MLM if I like the product. I do agree that most people won’t be successful with them, but some are. I don’t like obnoxious people in general, so I unfollow all obnoxious people on Facebook, MLM sellers included. The ones I don’t like are the ones that try to convince you to sell it, too. Because eventually the market will be saturated. Just let me buy the thing. I’m never going to be successful at selling anything.
    SO MUCH THIS
    Me: 35 DH: 47

HX
    DSS: 20
    DSD: 17
    DS: 4(Nov'14)
    MMC:8/17
    MMC: 1/18
    BFP: 2/7/19 EDD:10/16/19

Tickers
    BabyGaga
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• I tried an MLM and it wasn’t for me. I spent more than I sold and am just a horrible sales person. I also don’t mind buying from them if I like the product but don’t  want to be pressured into selling either.

Two of my good friends sell lularoe and are great about it. I have 2 pair of leggings plus some plain tops/dresses that I really like. 
  • I guess my UO is that I am a LLR consultant. But I never post about it on my personal page, and I never talk about it with my friends IRL. But I always wear the clothes (I’m excited to wear the dresses this summer with a bump). 
  • @izmom28 I’m going to have to get into your group sometime. My main dealer hasn’t gotten new inventory or in several months.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• And... I have no idea what any of these business are. Could it be because I am not on FB? I am clueless over here. I am not a fan of pushy sales people or pyramid schemes. 
  • ssthomps said:
    And... I have no idea what any of these business are. Could it be because I am not on FB? I am clueless over here. I am not a fan of pushy sales people or pyramid schemes. 
    I did not know about any of this before DS was born, either! I joined some mom groups and then suddenly I started getting the invites to product parties :-/
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• UO I think the LLR dresses are lovely and I have more black pairs of leggings than I need! 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ultimately it comes down to the fact that a lot of women are coached to do really crappy things to try to get business. There are right and wrong ways to do it and the stigma is out there because most people don’t take the time to do it right without being pushy and overbearing. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Definitely also not a fan of MLMs and pushy people.

Mine is that I don't care much for most tv shows and movies. H will put something on from Netflix as background noise, and sometimes I'll turn a baby show on for DD, but I can count on one hand the number of times within the last few years I have turned the TV on because I wanted to watch something. We haven't had anything but Netflix and a rabbit ear for 7 years or so.
    Books and video games are so much better!