2nd Trimester
Options

Heart Palpitations?

I am 18w2d and have been experiencing some fluttering/heartbeat sensations in the top of my chest. They scare me because they happen very suddenly and I can't quite distinguish what they are! It feels like intense heart palpitations. I feel well hydrated and noticed them when lying down last night. They happen on and off. Anyone else experiencing this?

Re: Heart Palpitations?

• Options
    I am 18w2d and have been experiencing some fluttering/heartbeat sensations in the top of my chest. They scare me because they happen very suddenly and I can't quite distinguish what they are! It feels like intense heart palpitations. I feel well hydrated and noticed them when lying down last night. They happen on and off. Anyone else experiencing this?

I had these during my pregnancy. Speak to your doctor and they will tell you what to look out for, but mine ended up just being a nuisance symptom.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    Palpitations are common in pregnancy due to increased circulatory volume. Talk to your dr about it, but don’t stress unless they are concerned. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Palpitations are common during pregnancy, but definitely mention them to your doctor, especially if you're having other symptoms such as chest tightness/pain, and difficulty breathing, especially while walking or after eating. I've had palpitations whether pregnant or not for 2 years now, but found that I develop pericardial effusion during pregnancy, which causes the symptoms listed above as well as palpitations. That's a condition that requires monitoring. Since palpitations during pregnancy are normal and common, it's probably nothing to worry about, but it always warrants at least a mention to your doctor.
  • Options
    I had  Palpitations prior to pregnancy but since I have been pregnant they have been so much worse! I actually ended up going to emergency one night because I had never had them for an entire day and as bad as I had that day. I followed up with my cardiologist and they are simple pvcs.   My OBGYN said that it can happen with increased blood circulation during pregnancy.   My cardiologist said that you can try a magnesium oxide supplement 400 mg to try to calm it down and buy OBGYN said I could try sugar free gatoraid or power aid because of the electrolytes.  I haven't noticed that either of them help.  
  • Options
    Are you taking thyroid medication by chance?  I got them early in pregnancy because I was so nervous and anxious (IVF baby) and also thyroid medication can cause them 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    IVF baby girl born 7/2018  <3
    TTC 2013. FET 11/17 - BFP after attempt #6!

• Options
    I have them this pregnancy and my doctor had me go for monitoring to make sure they were nothing serious. Mine turned out to be stress induced, but I absolutely recommend mentioning it to your doctor.