April 2018 Moms

NBR GTKY-- Makeup and Beauty Products

I am starting this thread for selfish reasons, as I am currently not a makeup wearer and am looking for ways to improve my own haggard look. I also thought it might make a fun GTKY.

What is your current skincare routine like?

What does your makeup look like on a daily basis? 

If you are a daily makeup wearer, what products do you use and in what order?

What are your ride or die beauty or makeup staples?

If you had just 15 minutes to get ready, how would you use that time?

Re: NBR GTKY-- Makeup and Beauty Products

• What is your current skincare routine like?
    Morning- Cleanser, Toner, eye cream, moisturizer and SPF
    Evening- Make up wipe, Cleanser/exfoliate, toner, eye cream,  mositurizer/night cream

I also have a micro roller than i'll use a few times a week as I remember.  I use roden and fields products for skin care.

on the weekends it depends on what we're doing.  For work every day I do a very basic routine (takes like 5 min or less)  For events I spend more time and do a bit more.

Primer (Mac)
    Concealer- (Nars)
    Foundation (urban decay)
    Fill in Brows (Mac)
    Eye Liner inner lid only- (Mac)
    Bronzer/highlighter- (Mac)
    Mascara- (too faced- better than sex)

most listed above.  I'm pretty simple.  I invested in nice make up over 3 years ago and i've never looked back.  The quality is better, it looks better and it lasts a whole lot longer than the cheap stuff!  My favorite stores are sephora, mac, and ulta.

I do my skincare and daily make up routine and under 15!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Ooh yes! I’m a total makeup junkie!

i use the oil cleansing method and I use a brand called Living Libations. They are a small skincare company and all of their products are natural, organic with high quality essential oils. I use their Seabuckthorn “best skin ever” which is a blend of amazing oils, I use it to take my makeup off and cleanse my skin and then use a hot washcloth to take it off. My skin has never been better! 

daily makeup is usually just a bit of eyebrow gel through my brows, a bit of brown liner smudged on the top lash line and mascara. I love a bold lip but don’t wear it every day. 

i don’t normally wear foundation but if I do I use MACs “Next to nothing” foundation...it’s very sheer. Then I use essence brow gel and two faced “better than sex” mascara - seriously the best.

What are your ride or die beauty or makeup staples
    My Best skin ever by Living Libations 
    Eye brow gel
    Better than Sex Mascara 
    A good red lipstick is always a staple - I like Mac Russian Res 

im always done in less than 15!
    Me: 27 // DH: 30 
    Married 05/21/2011
    TTC Since Feb 2016
    RE: Dec 2016 Dx: PCOS
    5 rounds of Letrozole 5mg + Ovidrel + TI 
    BFP!!!! June 2017 // EDD: 04/01/2018
    IT'S A BOY!

Morning - Micellar water, antioxidants, moisturizer, treatment, sunscreen
    Evening - Wash, glycolic serum, moisturizer

Not matter how many I buy, I just cannot get myself into a masking routine. I do not have the patience. 

I wear makeup during the week when I go into the office. I'll do makeup when we go out saturday night but most weekends, I'm either at the barn or gym, so I lay off products. 

After sunscreen, I use a cle de peau concealer (so expensive but lasts forever), nars eye shadow, blush, and eyeliner, finish with glossier boy brow, wowder and tinted lip balm. 

Beauty: the true botanicals antioxidant powder is a godsend. First of all it's powder so for travel, it doesn't count in my liquids for carry on. Score. Secondly, it's more potent, since most antioxidant serums degrade over time. Then the True Botanicals clear serum has been the only thing that's gotten my pregnancy acne under control.

For makeup, Glossier Boy Brow is the greatest.

Like everyone else, the above is pretty much it. I used to only wear my gross frizzy hair up or need to get a blow out, but the Amika straightening brush has been a game changer. I wash my hair the night before and straighten it in 5 minutes flat in the morning. 
  • @stalkinghorse Amika hair products have been a game changer for me, too! I am obsessed with their Bombshell Blowout spray and then their dry shampoo. I also use their hairspray. With all of those things combined, I can make a blowout last a couple days! 
  • @irenejean totally agree on the naked palates from urban decay.  I have 2 and have legit had it 3 years now.  I don't wear it every day obviously but the cost was well worth the use i've gotten from it!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I normally go completely au natural because my skin is a testy witch and acts like anything that touches it is a declaration of nuclear war (including moisturizers).  However, when I want to get photos taken, I go with Mac products.  The Studiofix foundation is the only makeup that I have tried that pisses off my skin only slightly.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • lindsyelindsye member
    edited December 2017
    Loving this thread and really enjoying reading all your responses! 

Main things I have to add:
    -I used to wear foundation daily because I look a ton better with even skin tone (used to struggle with breakouts in teens and twenties but thankfully not any more, but my skin still tends to be red and uneven.) I no longer had time to do liquid foundation after my first child was born so I searched long and hard for a powder foundation that would do the trick. Kat Von D lock-it powder foundation has been a game-changer for me! It takes just a few swipes but gives you some actual coverage and stays in place fairly well. Over moisturizer, it doesn’t look powder-y either - just meshes with my skin. Love.

-I think the rodan and fields product lash boost is the real deal. I have one tube for my lashes and one for my brows, and I have seen real improvement in both. I have always been someone with no real lashes to speak of and it changes the way my face looks even with no mascara. Pricey but worth it IMO, and the tubes do last a long time (longer than R+F claims).

-Like @stalkinghorse, I love glycolic acid products at night. It is safe during pregnancy and helps keep my skin clear, bright, and improves cell turnover. I have several different ones that I alternate based on time of year - some with serious moisturizers and some light serums.

ETA: I don’t sell Rodan and Fields or even particularly like their other products - many of their products broke me out, but my skin is very senstive. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

A lot of the products I have are not necessarily baby safe, so I've stopped cold turkey doing daily skincare and make up, but am dying to get back to it!

Face Wash: First Aid Beauty Face Cleanser
    Toner: Origins Oil Free Toner
    Morning cream: First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream
    Night Cream: Origins Night-a-mins or GlamGlow ThirtsyMud (when I get really dry)

I usually do a quick natural look except lipstick, I love a bold lipstick!

Primer: Too Faced Rx
    Foundation: Bobbi Brown stick foundation
    Concealer: Maybelline FitMe Concealer
    Eyelid primer: Urban Decay Primer Potion
    Eyeshadow: either my UD Naked palette or my Morphe 35o
    Lashes: Lancome CLIS Booster, Dior Show, then Maybelline Volume Express (or just Maybelline depending on what's going on)
    Brows: Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Pencil then Loreal Brow Gel
    Highlight: Tarte Amazonian Clay 12hr highlighters
    Lips: Too Faced Melted lipsticks or UD Vice lipsticks

I can't live without my Too Faced Melted Matte lipsticks or my ABH Brow Pencil!

Skip foundation, just do eyes, brows, and lips!
    @kbamomma33 LOVE this thread! Great idea!
  • I wear makeup every day, but if it takes longer than 5 minutes it's not happening (unless it's a special occasion). I finally got my routine down to the simplest it can be without sacrificing the look I want.

Cetaphil face wash and Olay moisturizer daily. On rare occasion (like once a month) I'll use a peel-off mask or a scrub.
    Most of my efforts go toward making me not look like Casper since my skin, eyebrows, eyelashes, and lips are all the same shade of basically eggshell. If it's a special occasion I add eye shadow, eyeliner, and heavier mascara.
    Foundation-I just started using Maybelline Better Skin powder foundation and I'm in love. It is so fast and simple and stays all day. Highly, highly recommend!
    Blush-Benefit Dandelion
    Eyebrow powder-Benefit Brow zings
    Mascara-Covergirl Last Blash volume for every day and Benefit They're Real for special occasions
    Lip liner-Nars
    Lipstick-Clinique Pop
    Mascara and eyebrow powder. If I only have 30 seconds to leave the house I'm still putting those on.
    My entire routine above takes 4-5 minutes (yes I've timed it, lol). The remaining 10 minutes would be on getting some of the messy waves out of my hair.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @lindsye I agree on lash boost!  I use it too, but brows is genius, i'll be trying that too!  (I don't sell either but have noticed basically 0 breakouts since I started using their products routinely)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @ekendall09 my skin is crazy sensitive - it took me literally years to find products that work for my skin and don’t break me out. So i’m not a good test case.
  • Ladies! I'm loving reading all of your posts and am googling some of your products!

I use proactiv+ wash, acne treatment, and moisturizer on my face and cetaphil moisturizing cream around my eyes. I also use a vitamin e stick around my eyes and on my eyelids. I usually only do this once a day as I'm not great with nighttime washing or skin care. :#

None! I usually only wear it a couple of times a year, though I'm wanting to improve on this.

Again, none. 

If I'm doing makeup for a special occasion, my stand bys are maybelline great lash mascara, tarte cheek stain sticks, bare minerals mineral veil and bare minerals well rested for under eye circles. I love a metal eyelash curler that I can heat up with my blow dryer before using it too.  

I shower in the morning and have long hair that takes a while to blow dry, so I'm lucky if I can get that done in 15 minutes. I'm thinking about trying some pm shower time and dry shampoo to simplify my morning routine a little more though. 

• I have a slightly unrelated question: can anyone rec a good nail polish with staying power? Literally every one I've tried chips--badly--within two days. I don't know if the problem is my nails or the polish I'm using.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @kaymaroo i've had pretty good luck with the essie gel polishes and their top coat.  I'm a recovering lifelong nail biter....so its more like the chips come from me picking at my nails than them chipping on their own.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @kaymaroo, gel nails! I have an at home kit, Red Carpet brand. You can buy it on Amazon or Target or Ulta. I got it a few years ago and I'm sure more companies have come out with competition at this point. Gel polish is a bit pricer, plus you need to buy the light and under/top coats but once you make the investment on the initial kit (about $80 which comes with a color!) it's worth it!

Because of a lack of time and energy I just get my nails done once every three weeks. I have a local salon that only charges $25 (+tip) for a gel manicure. Someday when I'm feeling less lazy I'll get back to using my at home kit though!

DS: EDD, December 19th, 2014. Born, December 19th, 2014!
    DD: EDD, July 18th, 2016. Born, July 19th, 2016!
    CafeMom Tickers

Baby #3: EDD, April 16th, 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker

• DS: EDD, December 19th, 2014. Born, December 19th, 2014!
    CafeMom Tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kaymaroo I feel ya on the 5 min makeup. If I do 10 I'm like "damn I look good". Also I have found hacks online for replicating gel using your normal polish + American classics gelous as a base and then single coat in between the color coats. It takes forever and so is a pain process but the polish will last one week with minimal chips/edge wear (and I type all day/wash hands like crazy) and is removeble like normal.
    --

A few few years ago I started transitioning to green household and beauty products so I typically use BeautyCounter charcoal bar in the morning and night followed by their face oil (either vitamin c or the calming one) mixed in with a basic cetaphil moisturizer (not clean but not THAT bad). This pregnancy when my face turned 16 in a not good way, I added in twice daily exfoliating with First Aid beauty brightening pads and y'all I CANT RECOMMEND THEM ENOUGH. Also clean beauty company. I do that after the bar and before the oil/lotion.

Concealer- BC
    Blush- BC or Tarte 
    Highlighter on cheeks, brow bone, Cupid's bow, chin and nose - BC or Tarte 
    Mascara- I try different green brands; none I love. I use Perfekt the most.
    Some lip thing- either balm by SW basics or lip sheer by BC

Same order as above applied. Sometimes if I'm feeling crazy I apply Tarte shadow to fill my brows at the end!

concealer blush and mascara. Always. Already planning on applying these pre labor/delivery. 

the above takes probably 15 mins... also I use my fingers to apply bc I like the control, find better plyability, and HATE makeup kickout.

I wash in the am /w Alba botanical acne-dote and use weleda moisturizer. In the evening, I wash with neutrogena wash for acne/wrinkles and use olay regenerist cream. I’m not settled on my routine and exploring products now that I’m adding anti-aging into my regime. 

What does your make-up look like on a daily basis?
    For work, I just do eye make-up, mainly so I look less pale and sickly. I do liner, shadow, and mascara. On some occasions, I add brow pencil. That’s it. On weekends, I only do my make up if we’re going out somewhere where I want to look a little nicer. 

If if you are a daily make-up wearer, what products do you use and in what order?
    Eye shadow primer first. 
    Eye liner. Not brand loyal here.
    I use a Urban Decay or Younique shadow pallet. 
    Too Faced mascara.
    Then rarely too faced brow pencil. 

Ride or die beauty staples? 
    Ehh, just the products above. 

If you have fifteen minutes to get ready, how would you use that time?
    I can do my make-up in less than five minutes. It would take me longer than ten to blow dry my hair, so I would leave it wavy. For that, I use a little bit of frizz eaze dream curl spray and air dry. Than use touch up cream once it’s dried completely. 

• @nessa1632 I'm really hoping I have my stuff together to put makeup on before delivery this time around. I want pictures with a ridiculously made up face! I've already got the 'puffer-fish, 30 hours of labor' look pictures... I'm ready for a gorgeous, 'ain't no thang getting this baby out' look pictures :D.

I NOW wear long-wear makeup but when I had my first two I didn't so each time I went into labor my makeup had basically wiped off from the activities of the day. FX that my makeup doesn't faily me in April :D.

Also, @nessa1632, I hate powder kickout too so I've transitioned nearly all of my makeup products to liquids. It gives me more control and can create a more precise look with my untrained hand.

CafeMom Tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks for all the nail polish recs! I've tried the Sally Hansen no-light gel polish with not great results. Maybe it's time to upgrade to a real gel polish.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @lindsye can you tell me more about the specific glycolic acid products you use? Specifically the heavier moisturizer types? I’m intrigued. 

Also, the Kat Von D powder stick thing you use — does it ever settle into the fine lines in your face (I mean, you may not even have any so it’s not an issue...). I’m pushing 36 and used to love Bare Minerals products, but the foundation would settle into the little wrinkles in the corners of my eyes and I hated the way it looked at the end of the day. I’m very much like you in skin tone, by the sound of it, though, and definitely look better when my red-ish skin is evened out. I’d love a quick solution! 
  • @kmalls I love the glycolic products made by Neostrata - I think the one I use during winter is this one: NeoStrata Face Cream Plus AHA 15, 1.4 Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000R92VAQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_w7AoAb352CR0C

I’d say the Kat Von D powder applies similarly to other pressed powders, but wears more like a foundation in terms of staying power. To me, if added over moisturizer it blends pretty well and is light enough not to settle into fine lines. But I always buy it from Sephora, where you can return if you don’t like it. I definitely prefer the look of a good liquid foundation, but I just don’t have time for it right now!
  • @kmalls I have the same issue as you. I always wore Bare Minerals, but it no longer works for my skin because of alllll the fine lines and wrinkles (I am 36). The redness is getting so much worse too and I am having a hard time finding a foundation and concealer that works with those problems. Plus I still break out like a 16 year old. It's so frustrating!
    BabyFruit Ticker Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• I too have natural redness/ruddiness (not the result of a reaction with product*) of my skin and always thought a thick full-coverage foundation was my only option. Then for the first time this year started really focusing on my skincare routine and after 6 months of regular skincare, my skin tone has evened out completely.

'They' say that if you don't have a skincare routine in place before you're 30, you're behind the curve ball. Well I finally got one at 32 so here's to hoping that it still helps me out later in life :D.

If you already have a healthy skincare routine and still have noticeable redness, you can use a corrective concealer or primer (green tinted) under your foundation. Then you can still use your favorite lightweight, low-normal coverage foundation without feeling like cake-face.

*It is pretty common for women to have redness on their face because their skin is sensitive and reacting to a product they use regularly!

CafeMom Tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • *lurker*

@kaymaroo a good long lasting nail polish is the CND Vinylux. I just use the polish and the top coat (there is also a base coat and a "nail sanitizer") and I get about two weeks of wear. After week one you will start to see more of the base of your nail and maybe some chips but not much. It's easy to take off and wont damage your nails, like gel has done to mine. I even use the top coat with other polishes and get really good wear time out of them. 

Lastly, it's 5 free, for me that's what I look for with nail polish during pregnancy and now it is available at Ulta and other stores (I used to have to order it on Amazon). 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• @krashke Thanks I'll look for that one! My problem with true gels is that I'm terrible about taking them off correctly so they damage my nails.

@kmalls Girl, same. I loved the Benefit powder foundation until about a year ago when my emerging crows feet made it all but unusable. I rec'd it above but I think it bears repeating that the Maybelline Better Skin powder foundation is great for this. I know it's not high-end but honestly it's my favorite--it doesn't all end up in my fine lines and it has good coverage without being cakey.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• itsrandiyoitsrandiyo member
    edited December 2017
    THIS IS SUCH A GOOD THREAD, I suck at makeup and do nothing but have been so interesting in it lately. Also, makes me want to go to Sephora and spend $200.
  • I second the CND vinlyux! 
  • I know it’s not a skincare routine or makeup product but I absolutely LOVE eyelash extensions I only have to use light foncelear some bronzer and some eyebrow powder and I am done in less than 5 minutes. Want to jazz it up a bit? Toss some eyeshadow on some bright lippy and you’re a supermodel