February 2018 Moms
Options

Weekly Product Spotlight 11.1: Breast Pump and Accessories

2»

Re: Weekly Product Spotlight 11.1: Breast Pump and Accessories

• Options
    Sorry to resurrect this old thread -

I was all set to order the Spectra s2, but I called the lactation consultant for the mother's room at work and she recommended I go with the Medela PISA.  Our mother's room has a Medela Lactina breast pump that we can just plug into, and she said the PISA part connect to it.  With my son I had a freestyle, and she said the Freestyle has less power overall.  I never really felt that successful pumping using the Freestyle so I quit pumping/nursing after 4 months.  I really want to be more successful with BFing this time around, so I am feeling very torn about whether to take the lactation consultant's advise to pick the PISA versus going with my internet research which seems to point to the Spectra.  Anyone who has used both have any advice?
    Me: 33 DH: 31
    DS: 5 years old
    TTC #2 since August 2015
    July 2016: Testing cycle with 100 mg Clomid = BFN
    August 2016: 50 mg Clomid + IUI = BFN
    October 2016: IVF#1 - 13 retrieved / 12 mature /  9 fertilized / 2 blasts
    November 2016: FET#1 = chemical
    January 2017: FET#2 = chemical
    March 2017: IVF#2 - 18 retrieved / 18 mature / 16 fertilized / 5 blasts
    April 24, 2017: FET#3 - BFN
    May 24, 2017: FET#4 - BFP! - Beta #1 151 - Beta #2 503 - Due date 2/9/18
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @Megzb510 I have used both. As well as the freestyle. 

In my experience the freestyle definitely has the least power. My son weened shortly after using that one bc it caused such a decrease in supply. 

The PISA was okay at first but the motor definitely slowed down over time. I was using it ALL THE TIME though. I actually replaced this one with the freestyle... which I regret completely regret. 

When my DD was born I ordered a spectra. My DD was a MUCH better nurser so I didn’t have to pump as much. I pumped with DS every day and used it at work where as I was a SAHM with DD. So that maybe something to think about. I keep getting the S1 and S2 confused but I got the upgraded one with the rechargeable battery.

the spectra has SO much more power. That I noticed right alway. It’s also nice with the light and timer and you can personalize the settings. I would definitely recommend it over the others. You can just buy the parts to the medela and use them at work when needed. They’re inexpensive. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    thanks so much for that advice, @Starynightsky24!  That's exactly the insight I was looking for. I have been in analysis paralysis with this pump decision and just want to order it!  I agree that Medela parts are super inexpensive and so that's an easy solution to connecting to the office Lactina pump.  One of the main benefits of Medela seems to be the availability of parts but honestly every store (Target, Walmart) is super pricey compared to Amazon, so I would end up ordering from Amazon anyways for parts.  Amazon seems to offer a decent amount of Spectra parts online and so that seems to resolve the parts issue.  

TTC #2 since August 2015
  • Options
    @Megzb510 I, too, have a Medela PISA, Spectra S2, AND use the Medela Lactina in my workplace lactation room.  You may want to double-check with the lactation consultant at work about what parts you will need.  The lactina "kit" includes a piston that is not used with PISA.  Yes, the flanges and tubes are the same (I think), but you would still need to purchase a separate kit to use the Lactina even if you have the PISA.  I agree the Spectra S2 is a stronger pump, and I also like having the light and the timer. 

• Options
    @PeachGal23 - thanks for mentioning that!  I have to make a meeting appt to meet with her, so she can show me the room and setup.  I was thinking that based off the limited googling I had done that additional parts would be needed to connect to the Lactina - I will definitely ask her to confirm what parts are needed.  The nice part is we can leave all our pump parts in the mother's room (they have a sink to clean them I believe) so I don't have to schlep the parts back and forth at least.  Thanks for the advice!  Random followup question - how do you like the Lactina?  

TTC #2 since August 2015
  • Options
    @Megzb510 the lactina is great!! I really appreciated having it in our lactation room and not having to bring my own pump back and forth. I wouldn’t necessarily buy my own to have at home, since I was happy with the S2 at home, and I liked having the PISA for traveling.

• Options
    @Megzb510 , I'm glad you resurrected this!  I, too, have been in analysis paralysis.  I feel like I know nothing about pumps and pumping (FTM), and I don't have lots of people to ask about which pump they like (close friends are mostly SAHMs or didn't BF their babies).  This information has been really helpful!

Also, I want to say that a lactation room or Mom's room sounds heavenly!  I work in a school where there is not a space like this at all, so I will be hiding out in a partitioned off cubicle in my classroom (I'm a special ed teacher, so there is a little space like this).  It's definitely not ideal, but thankfully the ladies I work with are understanding and will be okay with it. 
  • Options
    @lucylou214 - with my son, I worked retail and the room they provided multiple people had keys too and people were so distracted that you couldn't really trust that they would mind the do not disturb note. Also, I would still have to be on a walkie talkie and hearing my name be called constantly stressed me out.  It was not a great environment at all.  I'm looking forward to a quiet, dedicated room! 

From what I've read the Spectra is very quiet, so that would be the option I would go with for your situation.  I've heard the Medela PISA is quite loud.

TTC #2 since August 2015
  • Options
    +1 for analysis paralysis.  I was torn between  the S1 and the PISA.  Finally bit the bullet and ordered the PISA because parts seemed more accessible and it was compatible with more accessories without needing adapters.  Now I just have to pay the upgrade fee, but my paralysis kicked back in and I am second guessing my decision.
  • Options
    @babybro218 - What's included in the upgrade?  I used Aeroflow and while I was contemplating the PISA, I wasn't super impressed with the upgrade packages.   It seemed like a lot of money for not that much stuff.  I just have to say that the tote bags aren't that nice. Price out the accessories you get on Amazon to even see if the upgrade fee is worth it.

TTC #2 since August 2015
  • Options
    Thanks, @Megzb510 . There is an upgrade fee for both pumps.  With the PISA it includes the bag and and extra set of flanges.  I don't think any extras come with the S1
  • Options
    @babybro218
    Seriously I've spun myself in circles analyzing all of this!  I ended up going with the S2 since I found a car adapter for ~$10 on Amazon so I didn't think $95 upgrade for the SI was worth it for the battery.  I would only end up pumping in the car as the place without an outlet.  I also have a Freestyle at home from my first baby, so portability wasn't as critical a feature for me.  I got the Freestyle back in the day before insurance covered pumps, so it came with all the accessories including a tote bag.  The totes works, but it looks like cheap breast pump bag.  I'm not a big fan.
    Target has this kit for $29 that includes additional bottles and phlanges.  I saw a couple boxes on a clearance encap for $20 yesterday.
    I also want a Sarah Wells Pump bag and wet bag but I'm making myself wait til closer to returning to work.

TTC #2 since August 2015
  • Options
    I didn't find the upgrade packages to be that good.  I've bought the same accessories off Amazon and with coupons at Babies R Us and got the same stuff for less money.
  • Options
    I went with the Spectra 2 this time. Sure the Medela PISA is nice for portability, but with all the reviews I have read, it is not as powerful as the Spectra. There is also a timer and a light which will both be helpful (I could never remember to look at the time when I started pumping). I actually just took out the pump of the PISA bag and put in the Spectra. I’m very  hopeful I will have better results with the Spectra.

I also liked that the Spectra came with 2 different sizes of flanges. The PISA only came with 1, so I had to spend more money on other flanges. 
  • Options
    Megzb510 said:
    @lucylou214 - with my son, I worked retail and the room they provided multiple people had keys too and people were so distracted that you couldn't really trust that they would mind the do not disturb note. Also, I would still have to be on a walkie talkie and hearing my name be called constantly stressed me out.  It was not a great environment at all.  I'm looking forward to a quiet, dedicated room! 

From what I've read the Spectra is very quiet, so that would be the option I would go with for your situation.  I've heard the Medela PISA is quite loud.

Thank you so much for this advice! I definitely will want something quiet- I'm sure I'll be self-conscious enough as it is! 
  • Options
    Any advice for a hands free pumping bra? One of my friends recommended one for hands free pumping, but I didn’t catch a brand or anything. Being a FTM, I have zero clue. Does anyone have one they like? 
  • Options
    Any advice for a hands free pumping bra? One of my friends recommended one for hands free pumping, but I didn’t catch a brand or anything. Being a FTM, I have zero clue. Does anyone have one they like? 
    I used the Medela handsfree, but I haven't ever heard of a bad one. 
  • Options
    @jenniferjoy37 I used the Lansinoh Simple Wishes bra with the first two babies.  It washes well, is adjustable, no complaints. https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Wishes-Signature-Pumping-XS-Large/dp/B00295MQLU?th=1

• Options
    I called with payment info for the upgrade and ended up switching to the Spectra based on all of your advice, cost comparison, the review on Lucie's List, and the fact that it is a closed system instead of an open system.  I feel good about my decision.  Thank you!