February 2018 Moms
Options

Weekly Product Spotlight 11.1: Breast Pump and Accessories

STM+ what pumps and pump accessories did you love? Hate?

FTM, any questions related to this topic?

(To keep this from getting too cluttered, next week I'll do a product spotlight for breastfeeding accessories NOT related to pumping. I'll also do another one for formula feeding. Please keep this thread related only to pumping.)
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Weekly Product Spotlight 11.1: Breast Pump and Accessories

• Options
    Oh this is great as I was just approved to order mine! I was going to go with Medela but wanted to know if it was worth it to do the upgrade to the Medela freestyle (as opposed to the pump in style, which is covered 100%). 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ramzlauramzlau member
    edited November 2017
    FTM here, but did a lot of research because I plan on returning to work and pumping. Got approved for my pump choice Spectra S1 (paying $95 for upgrade from the free S2). Here is one of the reviews that pushed me towards this pump vs the Medela that was my second choice.

https://livingwithlowmilksupply.com/spectra-breast-pump-reviews

One thing to note is the company I ordered mine from says the 1 year warranty is good from date of shipping, so I delayed the shipping date until Jan (I want some time to figure out how to use it before baby girl arrives). 

Eta because mobile bumping
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I used the Medela Pump in Style Advanced double breastpump. It was supplied through my insurance, so I used this because it was my only option for a pump. I only b/f and pumped for a couple of months with DD until I had to stop for medical reasons, so I'm not an expert on pumping. But I felt like it and the Medela newborn bottles and nipples that came with it satisfied our needs during that time.

I think it's relevant to mention I did not have any supply issues, and DD did not have any issues with colic, reflux, etc. If other STM+ did find a pump and accessories that were helpful with feeding issues, I think that would be very helpful to share.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    The other thing I will mention is that this is an item I would order by the beginning of the third trimester. I have a few friends who had unexpected early deliveries, and they had told me it was helpful to have a pump so they could build up their supply. I did not personally have an early delivery, but it was comforting to me to know I had it just in case. I also recommend bringing your pump to the hospital. The lactation consultants at the hospital showed me how to use the pump correctly, make sure everything was the right size for my nipples, etc.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @MrsJ2410 I upgraded to the Freestyle from the Pump in Style (which would have been fully covered by insurance), and as someone who wound up having to pump a lot for various reasons (supply, nipple strikes, going back to work), I will say that the upgrade was definitely worth it.  The mobility you get from clipping the pump to yourself and using a hands-free bra was priceless.  I could pump while I did just about anything else (from little things, like going to the bathroom, to more fun things, like playing with DS).

I used my pump heavily and it sustained lots of wear and tear over the 12 months that I was pumping and schlepping it around.  Replaced the tubes once, and will be replacing other parts before DS2 arrives.  

I mostly used the accessories that came with it (bag, cooler bag, ice pack) and was happy with those.  When I went back to work, I got a larger work bag that could accommodate pump stuff as well, and a smaller ice pack as the stock ice pack is somewhat large/heavy.  I also got the Sarah Wells pump parts bag for pumping at work because 1) it's easy to wipe clean, 2) you can stick it right in a work fridge and it just looks like a pretty lunch bag, not obvious what's inside, and 3) it comes with a staging area you can use to set everything down on a clean surface.

I would add milk storage bags to the list of pump accessory must-haves.  I hated the Medela ones you pump directly into -- the bag tab that attaches to the pump always ripped -- so I just pumped into the Medela bottles and then transferred to the Lasinoh storage bags.  For times when I couldn't wash my pump parts immediately, I also liked the Medela pump cleaning wipes.  

Also related to pumping, I can't stress enough the importance of making sure you're using the correct size shield.  The hospital or a private lactation consultant should be able to help you with that.  Using the right size will cut down on discomfort and can even increase your output.

I have many thoughts on pumping that I'm happy to share, so feel free to ask any questions!
  • Options
    @psm2462 brings up a great point for STM+... what pumping parts/accessories need to be replaced?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I used the medela upgraded double breast pump. You really can’t go wrong with a closed system and a double pump. 

I ordered two haakaa pumps thank you to who ever mentioned it! It looks amazing and I’m excited to try it. Of course this isn’t to replace my pump. I’m actually asking for a prescription for a hospital grade pump because I had so many issues breastfeeding last time. 
  • Options
    I used the Medela Pump in Style Advanced last time. I'll be ordering a Spectra this time because I've heard so many good things about it. 

I suggest a Milkies Milk Saver to anyone BF or pumping. It caught so much runnoff milk that would have been wasted! 

Also, I pumped exclusively with DD so if anyone ever has questions about anything let me know! 
  • Options
    With my first I had the Medela pump in style. It worked out great. I'm going to replace the tubing and valves. I think the horns (whatever they are called) are probably fine. I'm also going to have the pump professionally cleaned. I definitely second pumping into bottles and pouring into Lansinoh bags for freezing. 

This time I ordered the Spectra s2. I'll use that as my main pump at home. I'll put my old pump in a go bag for work or traveling. 
  • Options
    With my first I had the Medela pump in style. It worked out great. I'm going to replace the tubing and valves. I think the horns (whatever they are called) are probably fine. I'm also going to have the pump professionally cleaned. I definitely second pumping into bottles and pouring into Lansinoh bags for freezing. 

This time I ordered the Spectra s2. I'll use that as my main pump at home. I'll put my old pump in a go bag for work or traveling. 
    Samsies 
  • Options
    I think just the tubing and valves/membranes need to be replaced, but I'm all ears if anyone knows of anything else!
  • Options
    I pumped HEAVILY for DS. He had latching issues and it was battle feed or use a nipple shield (which wasted TONS of milk) 

I went though a lot of pumps. I’d encourage FTMs to do their research as I found Medela to be a terrible brand- here is why 

I first ordered the double electric pump through insurance. That pump lasted me a good 6mo  before the suction totally gave up.  Had to use the pump on the highest setting and it still barely worked. 

I bought the medela hand pump ( I can’t remember the name)  and I actually loved that pump.  But I had no supply issues and a hard let down so It was easy to hand express.  What stunk the most was that I could only do one side at a time: 

I then ordered a brand new medela PISA from Target.  I went back to work when DS was 10mo old and used it there. It stopped working 2mo after purchasing. 

So I ordered the medela Freestyle.  I love the portability of this pump. For that reason I will never buy one that has to plugged into the wall again.  Maybe I just have terrible luck… But this one also gave out.  By this point, with the lack of pumping and nursing well at work… My supply totally gave out and DS self weaned 

when DD was born I ordered the SPECTRA S2.  I was more experienced with her and got her to latch and nurse easier, so I didn’t pump as much. That said when I did  I noticed a huge difference.  This pump is so much better… And I wish I had ordered it from the beginning.  Is not a small inconvenient as the freestyle… But it is battery charged and you can walk around with it.  It is also a closed system and so much easier to clean! 

Hopefulling this helps someone. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I pumped HEAVILY for DS. He had latching issues and it was battle feed or use a nipple shield (which wasted TONS of milk) 

I went though a lot of pumps. I’d encourage FTMs to do their research as I found Medela to be a terrible brand- here is why 

I first ordered the double electric pump through insurance. That pump lasted me a good 6mo  before the suction totally gave up.  Had to use the pump on the highest setting and it still barely worked. 

I bought the medela hand pump ( I can’t remember the name)  and I actually loved that pump.  But I had no supply issues and a hard let down so It was easy to hand express.  What stunk the most was that I could only do one side at a time: 

I then ordered a brand new medela PISA from Target.  I went back to work when DS was 10mo old and used it there. It stopped working 2mo after purchasing. 

So I ordered the medela Freestyle.  I love the portability of this pump. For that reason I will never buy one that has to plugged into the wall again.  Maybe I just have terrible luck… But this one also gave out.  By this point, with the lack of pumping and nursing well at work… My supply totally gave out and DS self weaned 

when DD was born I ordered the SPECTRA S2.  I was more experienced with her and got her to latch and nurse easier, so I didn’t pump as much. That said when I did  I noticed a huge difference.  This pump is so much better… And I wish I had ordered it from the beginning.  Is not a small inconvenient as the freestyle… But it is battery charged and you can walk around with it.  It is also a closed system and so much easier to clean! 

Hopefulling this helps someone. 
    As a side note, Medela's customer service is excellent. I exclusively pumped for three kids and I've had them send me completely new pumps before (PISA and the Swing?(the single electric pump)), no questions asked. I love the freestyle though and have never had a problem with that one

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• Options
    I am a Medela fan through and through.

With #1 I used a Medela Swing as a part time pumper (to leave bottles for during college classes and other events.)

With #2 I used a Medela PISA from my sister, but only rarely for baby free outtings.

With #3 (who had a birth defects & couldn't nurse), I exlusively pumped for 16 months, had milk for my son til 20 months, and donated over 50 gallons of milk to our hospital's affiliated milk bank (for nicu babies.)  My insurance sent a Spectra S2 and I just found it to be way more complicated than necessary.  You have to set speed and suction levels for letdown and expression modes, plus it was such a hassle to wash and dry all the parts (there are a lot) in the hospital. To top it off, the pump broke before we left!  Lactation consultant set me up with a Medela Symphony (seriously an amazing pump!) And then we were able to rent that one for about 13 months before switching to a Medela Lactina for the last 3 months. I also had the Medela Harmony (manual) and that is also a pump I would recommend. Great to have when you aren't sure you'll be near an outlet or if you need to partial pump for an immediate bottle.  

For #4 I am getting the Medela PISA from insurance and still have my Medela Harmony from last time. I'll just grab a new valve & membrane for it.

As for pump accessories: these depend on how frequently you will be pumping, but some sort of cooler with ice packs, storage bags (I recommend NUK or Up & Up,) lanolin (nipple balm), microwave sterilizing bags, a car adapter if no battery, a hands free pumping bra, and pump wipes if you won't have a sink nearby. 

P.s. yes, it's a saga... sorry. Pumping was my life for so much of #3's first year and a half.
  • Options
    I also second @sabriel1 comment on Medela having amazing customer service. I contacted them quite a few times and always came away floored at how easy they made it.
  • Options
    It is true medela took care of me and I got a refund both times. It was just such a pain! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    The SPECTRA S2 has  different modes and levels based on your specific needs.  Personally, I like that I can put it at the settings where I need it and it saves the settings and I never have to mess with it again.  You make the settings based on  how long you need it in the stimulation mode to stimulate let down,  then how comfortable or hard you need to suction to be during letdown. I found it easy! 

I also like the light feature, so that when I was pumping at night I could easily see how long it had been. And the timer. The PISA does not have those. Since it’s a closed system you only have to clean the shield and the bottle. So I’m not sure why you had to clean more parts @3plus1equals4

ETA yes the harmony pump is awesome  and I would 100% by that again if I felt it was needed 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you all so much for the input on this!

I've been looking into the Medela as well, and like a previous poster I have the option of the Pump in Style (covered 100%), upgrading to the Advanced for $90-$135, or upgrading to the Deluxe for $175.

One difference I noticed was the upgrades all had an option for plugging into the wall OR using a battery. It sounds like that is definitely worth an upgrade to not have to be plugged in.

If you're overwhelmed trying to figure out what is covered under your insurance, like me - a friend recommended the company Aeroflow to me. She said they made the entire process so easy, and so far I have to agree! It was nice to just fill out a form online, and they took it from there to present to me exactly what is covered and at what costs to me.
  • Options
    @Starynightsky24 You have to wash the shields and valves for both, but then the spectra also has the 3 piece backflow protectors (an additional 6 pieces.) 

Because my son had high medical needs, he had to use special bottles and everything had to be washed and sterilized each time. It was just too much for me. 

• Options
    @texaskindofway I used Aeroflow and 100% agree with how easy it was. My OB recommended going through them because it's simple on their end, too.
  • Options
    My doctor recommended the Spectra S 1 pump. 

I had a medela PISA with DS1 and it was nice but not quite powerful enough (this was almost 8 yrs ago)

I had a hygeia double electric with DS2 and loved it. Much more powerful than the medela. 
  • Options
    I got the Medela through Aeroflow.  The only difference in the free and the upgrade that I saw was the accessories all of which can be bought separately.  I might be wrong but the actual pump is the same.  You can buy the battery pack and cooler anywhere.  The tote bag is the only thing you can't buy separately but I plan on getting a different brand of bag later. I didn't upgrade and am buying the accessories from Amazon.  That way if I can't or don't end up pumping I can return the accessories and get my money back.
  • Options
    @3plus1equals4 maybe it’s just been too long haha. I didn’t find it harder to clean than the medla. I liked that the pieces are not hard plastic so it was easier to get in the small crevices. 

Im off to find all those parts now lol! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @the_other_mother Maybe a dumb question, but where do you get your pump professionally cleaned? Mine could probably use the same, we have super hard water and I could never get it to feel totally clean.
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Options
    @the_other_mother Maybe a dumb question, but where do you get your pump professionally cleaned? Mine could probably use the same, we have super hard water and I could never get it to feel totally clean.
    There's a really cool local boutique that sells baby stuff. (Pumps, carriers, diapers, etc.) They offer the service. I don't know of anywhere else that does it. It's called Blue Cocoon, but I'm pretty sure it's just a local place. It is literally the coolest place ever. They have classes for everything you can think of. (Breastfeeding, pumping, cloth diapering, baby wearing, mommy and me.) They should have these places in every city IMO. You should check around for a place like that if you live near a big city. It's worth a shot.
  • Options
    I had a Medela Freestyle which I liked at the time but in hindsight I never got much milk pumped so maybe I had the incorrect flanges size or maybe it wasn't that powerful. I am planning on buying new tubing for that and debating between a Spectra S1 and S2. Is the only difference the internal battery? My office has hospital level pumps at the office and all you need to bring is your own tubing and collection bottles.  You can keep all of it in the mothers room. So since I don't really need to be worried about being close to an outlet for pumping at work then I'm thinking I don't need to pay for the upgrade? Especially since I will also have a Freestyle at home for a backup. 

Also so I went through Aeroflow for this process and qualification was literally as easy as entering my insurance card ID number and my contact info. Took 6 business days for approval and received a text when approved. The email did go to my "social" folder on gmail so just wanted to mention that!
    Me: 33 DH: 31
    DS: 5 years old
    TTC #2 since August 2015
    July 2016: Testing cycle with 100 mg Clomid = BFN
    August 2016: 50 mg Clomid + IUI = BFN
    October 2016: IVF#1 - 13 retrieved / 12 mature /  9 fertilized / 2 blasts
    November 2016: FET#1 = chemical
    January 2017: FET#2 = chemical
    March 2017: IVF#2 - 18 retrieved / 18 mature / 16 fertilized / 5 blasts
    April 24, 2017: FET#3 - BFN
    May 24, 2017: FET#4 - BFP! - Beta #1 151 - Beta #2 503 - Due date 2/9/18
  • Options
    Has anyone had any luck using the Freemie collection cups with the Medela Freestyle pump? I know the cups are inherently compatible with the Medela PIS, but what about the Freestyle?

I work 12hr shifts and there is absolutely no ideal place to pump. Many of my female coworkers have been walked in one by patients, physicians, male co-workers etc. 

I like the discretion of the Freemie collection cups but have heard that the Medela pumps are stronger. I am leaning towards the Medela Freestyle because of the internal battery and portability. I will be pumping a lot.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    @precious88 slightly off topic kind of, but can we do belly binders for next week's topic item?  
  • Options
    ahoneycutt12ahoneycutt12 member
    edited November 2017
    ETA: I am a 38 DDD for reference of girls who are more well endowed lol.
    I had a medela pump in style and a freestyle and I will be getting a spectra s2 this time.  I got the pump in style first and I could never get much out with it although the suction is supposed to be stronger than the freestyle the different suction style of the freestyle worked better for me.  I splurged and got the pumpin pals flanges and those were beyond amazing and worth every penny for me.  I wanted to try out the spectra as the ladies who had it in my bump group with DD all raved about theirs and they have a ton of useful accessories for added comfort and pumping assistance with the flanges.  It is also a hospital grade pump with a higher suction that any others covered by insurance and since I still have my other two I figured I would try something else out.  I got the pump in style through insurance and then purchased the freestyle on Craigslist for about 40 and bought new tubes and accessory kit (no milk goes into pump unit on this style like most now a days so no cross contamination worries).  If you have your pump with you in the hospital at delivery a lactation consultant will assist you with showing you how to use it properly before discharge if you need it.  Someone mentioned asking about pumping in the hospital to me but didn't say to bring my pump and they wouldn't let me practice with the hospital one because "it wouldn't be the same" ::insert eye roll:: lol

@nightnurse92 I didn't ever get the freemie cups as they came out after I ended my pumping adventures although k have heard mixed reviews on them.  I have heard they are wonderful for hands free although slightly more difficult for larger chested women.  I've also heard that they are difficult to see how much you have actually pumped while still attached due to the nature of the collection cups.  I've also heard of ladies who say pouring into another vessel can be messy, but I think that just comes down to an individual and their hand eye coordination more than anything.
  • Options
    Just FYI if you find that Aeroflow is giving you grief on your insurance, try Byram Healthcare. The selection isn't as extensive but after going back and forth with a "specialist" with Aeroflow who kept telling me that Blue Shield didn't exist in California, I moved on. I actually got the pump a couple of months ago and was surprised because I didn't think I'd get it until January.

****TW Signature****
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD born 04/28/2002
    Married DH 03/25/2017
    1st MMC 08/13/2016 2nd MMC 02/14/2017
    BFP 06/16/17 Rainbow DS Born 02/05/2018

• Options
    3plus1equals43plus1equals4 member
    edited November 2017
    I heard great reviews on freemies from moms, aside from those with higher supplies. I never personally tried them as I had a major oversupply while EPing and needed to swap out bottles mid pump.

If you end up with pretty typical sized breasts and typical supply, they should be good @nightnurse92
  • Options
    If there are any moms still needing to go through insurance and an online company to order I would say steer clear of byram healthcare.  Their customer service is horrible.  I placed my order on the 18th of October and after no update I finally contacted them to find out that they were missing the prefix letters for my insurance ID and then was guilted for being frustrated that no one had contacted me by their customer service rep by saying they were assisting with orders for moms who have already delivered and babies in the NICU.  I used Aeroflow with my first and they were amazing and you could get an update without having to call or do their chat online.
  • Options
    Has anyone in Canada gotten a pump covered by their insurance? I'm trying to look and see if my work benefits would cover it. I still have mine from DD but wouldn't mind a new one.
    DD - 4.15.16
  • Options

third time mom here... used a Medela PISA for the 1st baby; it was great!  I was able to get another pump from insurance for 2nd baby, so I chose the Spectra S2.  I loved this one as well.  It's quieter and more efficient than the PISA, but the PISA is better for on-the-go as it can accommodate a battery pack and is easier to transport.  I also found that Medela accessories were easier to come by (hey, Target & CVS) than the Spectra. 

Additionally, as other moms here mentioned, the Milkies Milk saver is AMAZING and allowed me to build up a huge freezer supply without doing a ton of extra pumping.  Also highly recommend the Kiinde system for milk storage and bottles.  Yes the bags are pricier, but it's just so dang easy and requires no milk transferring.  And lastly, I recommend getting a manual hand pump.  I like the Lansinoh, but I plan to check out the Haakaa this time around.  These are also great for traveling and quick on-the-go pumping needs.

• Options
    I've been following this thread for advice! Some good stuff here!

I used Aeroflow as per recommendation, but they didn't take my insurance. I did a google search, and used https://insurancecoveredbreastpumps.com/, and so far, they have been great to work with! 

I'm buying the Spectra S1 from them ($95 upgrade), and will also by a manual hand pump. I've looked into the Haakaa and Ashtonbee, but haven't purchased yet. The kiinde system is on my registry!
  • Options
    I'm learning a ton even as a STM :) My insurance last time covered two pump options, no upgrades allowed, so I went with the Medela Pump-in-style. The extent of my research was asking a few co-worker friends on the same insurance which they had preferred. I was totally spoiled by the hospital, and they handled everything for me, including delivering the pump to my room. So... it's really interesting to hear about all of the other options out there!

That said, I'll probably reuse my same pump. I pumped for 12 months after I went back to work, and it did the trick. It was heavy and a pain to haul around, but I had a lot of flexibility in my schedule and could mostly pump at my desk. I think if you're on a tight budget, it's a very workable pump.

Must-have accessories I bought/ kept in my designated pumping bag:
    -- the cleaning wipes, which I kept in my desk
    -- quick clean microwave bags. these were awesome for sanitizing at the end of the day (we didn't have a dishwasher at the time)
    -- Lansinoh storage bags were our favorites, but we also liked Dr. Brown's
    -- an extra set of parts (shields, valves, etc, that come in a set) to keep at my office... bought these after forgetting my other set at home one day :-/
    -- a battery pack, which I used a few times in the car/ on planes
    -- the cooler bag, which was great both for travel and just storage at/ transporting home from work
    -- larger sized Medela pumping bottles. I had an oversupply issue.
    -- a regular zip-up hands-free bra, as well as one that is basically just some pieces of elastic tied together that I kept in my desk drawer just in case
    -- a hand towel to keep in my lap when detatching the bottles from the pump... I am both forgetful AND a klutz! lol
    -- a large scarf/ pashmina/ wrap-thing to wear just in case someone came in my office without knocking (and for a little while I was sharing an office, so it was even more essential)

I also had the Medela hand pump that I used in oversupply emergencies early on. I tried one other cheaper brand of hand pump (can't remember the name :-/ ) and it was awful, so I went back to Medela.

Married 5/27/13
    Anniversary

Baby#2
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD#1
  • Options
    @ahoneycutt12 I had the opposite experience with both companies. Byram was great and I had zero issues, Aero was ridiculous and tried to tell me that Blue Shield didn't exist in California because Blue Cross was Anthem. 

****TW Signature****
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD born 04/28/2002
    Married DH 03/25/2017
    1st MMC 08/13/2016 2nd MMC 02/14/2017
    BFP 06/16/17 Rainbow DS Born 02/05/2018

• Options
    My insurance won't pay for a "hospital grade" pump. I've seen the Spectre listed as "hospital Grade" and "Hospital strength"... All of the providers that my insurance told me I could go through only offer Medela... and  I did not get as much with my Medela.... going through another breast-pump provider site now. Aeroflow did not find my insurance... Oh the joys!
  • Options
    @mbirdie Canadian here, I haven’t been able to find anything on our insurance that says anything about the pumps. I need hubby to call in to them as it’s his insurance but I’m doubting it will be covered. I know our Shoppers Drug Mart pharmacy has a rental program of some sort of the Medela so I’m going to ask the doctor about that at the next visit as I really can’t afford to spend hundreds of dollars on the pump. 
    Pregnancy Ticker