May 2018 Moms
Options

UO 10/26

2»

Re: UO 10/26

• Options
    Sorry, I can't remember which thread it was in, but what was the baby name app that you can swipe on and then compare lists with your SO?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh, and the homeschooling thing. I agree that I don't think it'd work for most children or with most parents, and we could never afford to be a single-income household with either of our careers, so it's not an option for us either way. That said, I do live an area where it's difficult to find access to quality public elementary schools, as most of the best ones don't allow anyone from outside of their catchment, and there are no magnet elementary schools, only charters, which come with their own risks and controversy.

My wife is a public magnet high school teacher and some of her brightest, top students were home schooled until 9th grade. In their cases, it obviously was a better alternative to a low-quality neighborhood school. For us, we'll just have to make sure we're working with our child every day to supplement their most likely sub-par formal elementary education and balance out any shortcomings.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I went to Disneyland for the first time when I was 16, and from then until I had a toddler, I thought I’d wait a long time to take my own kids. That said, we are blessed that DD (3.5) is an AWESOME traveler, and seeing her experience things is so fun, even if she won’t remember them, so I would totally take her if it were feasible for us before baby. Now that I’m pg, we’ll likely wait till the little one is 3ish then go. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @onesmallcoconut I love Orange County! It's my favorite out of the housewives. This season is so good with the drama. The reunion should be a entertaining. 
  • Options
    @tacosandvirginmargaritas SO good! I wasn't sure if I'd like Peggy but she's fantastic. Shannon is probably the craziest of them all. I have this week's episode on my PVR and I'm excited to watch. Shit always gets crazy when they travel together! 
    Happy to find another fan here!! 
  • Options
    @sparklingdiamond app is called Babyname (one word) and the icon looks like a white egg with a yellow background.
    Me: 32 | DH: 35
    Married: 8/22/15
    BFP #1: 8/22/17 | DS: 4/20/18 
    BFP #2: 7/14/19 | EDD: 3/18/20
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    @zizzabell523, is riggering a real term? How did your parents work on it? DD2 does something similar when she's excited or overtired. Other kids don't seem to notice, though she's had teachers who have raised it with us. I worry for when other kids do notice.
  • Options
    This is probably a dumb question, but what are fast passes?  Is it a pass to "cut" in line?  I'm assuming you pay extra for this?  If so, my UO is I think that is quite unfair.  My family grew up without a ton of money.  We saved money all year (sometimes 2) to go on a vacation and I feel confident that we wouldn't have been able to afford to get the extra passes.  As an adult, my husband and I haven't been on vacation in several years.  We are working really hard to pay off student loans, which is our choice, of course.  When we do go on vacation, we aren't able to spend a great deal of money.  Why should a family be able to ride something sooner because that family has more money than mine?  I don't know...  Maybe I just don't understand how they work.  :)

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @mileswithmyles, I think you have a point about the ages.  At 3.5 I'm sure my girls would love it right now.  Just for us, specifically, living in PA, a trip to either FL or CA will be a big expense.  Air fare and hotel, along with park passes, etc.  Since it will more than likely be a once-in-a-lifetime thing for us, I'd rather just go when all the kids are old enough to remember it.  
    @JNCPro3130 I think that's a really good point about the fast passes, too.  Besides the fact that it creates more economic based inequality, once everyone starts buying the fast passes, those lines will end up being just as long!
    I don't want to get too involved on the homeschooling issue because I know one of our members was having a really rough day because of the reaction her in-laws were giving her, so I don't want to continue to make her feel worse.  That being said, I absolutely agree that it's only the "better" option for a very small number of people, usually what PP said about not having access to good quality schools.  My sister homeschooled all four of her kids, and I do admit they're a little....strange, socially awkward, whatever you want to call it.  But I honestly think that's as much of a product of who their parents are as it is their lacking social interaction on a daily basis with kids their own ages.  

Me, 35 Hubs, 32
    Married June 2012
    BFP June 2013- blighted ovum, D&C Aug 2013
    BFP Oct 2013- twins!  A&H born May 2014
    BFP Aug 2017- EDD 5/8/17

• Options
    @mileswithmyles Thanks for the info!  I've heard of people getting the fast passes but they never really explained what they were.  We'll definitely need to do some research before going.  
    @nanifrog I also know of a few adults near me that go to Disneyland/world at least once a year (as an actual , and I always wonder how in the world they can afford that!!  Crazy!

Me, 35 Hubs, 32
    Married June 2012
    BFP June 2013- blighted ovum, D&C Aug 2013
    BFP Oct 2013- twins!  A&H born May 2014
    BFP Aug 2017- EDD 5/8/17

• Options
    @mileswithmyles, Gotcha!  That makes sense.  As long as the fast pass is handled like Disneyland, that sounds reasonable and fair!  Are you saying that Six Flags and Universal have the same system, but you have to pay more for those tickets?  If so, that's ridiculous and I would avoid going just for that reason.  

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @JNCPro3130 they systems aren’t identical, but you do have to pay more for their “VIP” line. I don’t like those parks as much, anyway. 
  • Options
    @JNCPro3130 Universal definitely has passes that let you jump the line a bit, but they usually come automatically with your hotel as long as you stay at one of the park hotels. They don't work on any of the popular rides anyway though, so I didn't find them to be much of an advantage or annoyance to anyone who didn't have one.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
     I am too lazy to tag people right now… Sorry… when you set up a vacation at Disney World you are eligible to book a reservation at a restaurant 180 days out from your vacation. If you are staying at a resort on property you can book a fast pass up to 60 days out from the day that you'll be going. if you are an annual passholder you can book a fast pass up to 30 days out.  The fast pass does not allow you to "cut the line."  It actually gives you access to a shorter line so sometimes that means you can just walk right on but most of the time it means you'll be waiting about 15 minutes instead of over an hour.  When you book a fast pass through the app if you've already purchased your tickets before you get there you can do this up to 30 days out you can only book up to three fast passes at that time.  Every park except for magic kingdom has tiered attractions so you can only choose one premium attraction ahead of time and two regular attractions. The way they determine what is premium and what is regular is a little wonky to me but  i'm sure it made sense when they did it.  Once you have used all three fast passes that you have pre-booked you can make another fast pass as many times as you want throughout the day. Once it's used, you could make a new one.

A typical day at Magic Kingdom for me going with J by ourselves we get there about 1030 when we'll get into the park around 1045 I will have a fast pass booked from 1045 to 1145 or just 11 to noon and then I'll have another fast pass from noon to one and another fast pass from 1 to 2. We'll normally take a break from riding rides at that point, get some food and I'll book another fast pass while we're doing that.  In between our fast pass rides because it does not take a full hour to do those things we will ride some of the rides that have a 20 or even a 30 minute wait.
  • Options
    @nanifrog That's just what my parents called it. If it's an actual "condition" I don't know the name of it. I don't think we did any testing for it either, although now that I'm an adult I wonder if I'm on the autistic scale and it's sort of my "twitch" or if it's something associated with ADHD, especially since I do have some trouble with staying focused. I don't remember how they got me to calm it down when I was really little, but I do remember when I was around 8 or 9 my mom whispering "hands" to me when she would catch me doing it and I'd either cross my arms or put my hands in my pockets. Maybe you can give her something to hold or keep her hands busy when you know there's going to be excitement coming up?

My nephew (who is possibly on the autistic scale) had a hard time for a few years of pulling out his hair. They gave him toys to hold whenever they were empty and that helped.
    BFP 9/11/13   EDD 5/21/14   MC 9/20/13  <3
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP 2/25/14   EDD 11/5/14   BD 11/4/14
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

BFP 8/26/17  EDD  5/5/18
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers