February 2018 Moms

Post Baby Birth Control

2»

Re: Post Baby Birth Control

• @sabriel1 - Doctors are reluctant to perform tubal ligation before early-mid 30s even if the woman has multiple kids and knows she's done? Yikes.

@ashhsa - The Mirena annoyed me, too. I got really tired of the breakthrough spotting. The Paragard caused cramps and heavier menses, which were also annoying. Since I know we're done, and I don't care for hormonal BC with my thyroid issues, I want a permanent method, though I recognize there's a small chance even those methods can lead to pregnancy in rare cases. 
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• I am hoping that condoms and my infertility will be enough, I am very hesitant to go on any form of hormonal birth control with my issues getting pregnant and my moms extensive history of estrogen related breast cancer. We have discussed DH getting a vasectomy at some point but we will see when the time comes. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @soulcupcake yeah, the claim is that there is a higher rate for women changing thier mind if they get it done in their 20's. 

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• We are done after this one. We will do something permanent. If I were to end up with a c-section I would have my tubes tied. They would be in there anyways. Otherwise snip snip. I won't do hormones anymore. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • A lot of people on here sound done with kids. This is my first and I won't be done. I had a non-hormonal IUD pre TTC and I truly believe that helped me get pregnant right away compared to hormones. Can't decide if I should go that route again and deal with the terrible periods, or maybe even try pull out/rhythm method and see how it goes. I know statsically that's not a sound birth control. But I don't necessarily want hormones and we both hate condoms. No perfect solution here. 
  • @mblomq2 I feel exactly the same way as you! As of now, we are only planning on having one kid, but I'm not confident enough to make a permanent decision yet. I've never had an IUD so the unknown makes me nervous. But I'm not going back to BCP! It sounds like everyone has different IUD experiences. 
  • @ChristmasCookie Yeah, the IUD runs the gamut of experiences. I loved the Paragard, my friends loved their Mirenas, but I've read horror stories on here about both. I suggest trying it out and if you don't like it, you can remove it.
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• mblomq2 said:
    A lot of people on here sound done with kids. This is my first and I won't be done. I had a non-hormonal IUD pre TTC and I truly believe that helped me get pregnant right away compared to hormones. Can't decide if I should go that route again and deal with the terrible periods, or maybe even try pull out/rhythm method and see how it goes. I know statsically that's not a sound birth control. But I don't necessarily want hormones and we both hate condoms. No perfect solution here. 
    After DD1 was born we used the Today Sponge! Haha so 90's right? It's only 76-88% effective but no hormones or condoms and we really didn't care that much since we wanted a second eventually anyway. I didn't get pregnant until I stopped using it.
  • Ashoes123 said:
    mblomq2 said:
    A lot of people on here sound done with kids. This is my first and I won't be done. I had a non-hormonal IUD pre TTC and I truly believe that helped me get pregnant right away compared to hormones. Can't decide if I should go that route again and deal with the terrible periods, or maybe even try pull out/rhythm method and see how it goes. I know statsically that's not a sound birth control. But I don't necessarily want hormones and we both hate condoms. No perfect solution here. 
    After DD1 was born we used the Today Sponge! Haha so 90's right? It's only 76-88% effective but no hormones or condoms and we really didn't care that much since we wanted a second eventually anyway. I didn't get pregnant until I stopped using it.
    I thought about the sponge back when we weren't ttrying but I read you can't use it if you're allergic to Sulfa drugs. Since that's me I was all "well crap there goes that idea."

****TW Signature****
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD born 04/28/2002
    Married DH 03/25/2017
    1st MMC 08/13/2016 2nd MMC 02/14/2017
    BFP 06/16/17 Rainbow DS Born 02/05/2018

• edited August 2017
    Ashoes123 said:
    mblomq2 said:
    I thought about the sponge back when we weren't ttrying but I read you can't use it if you're allergic to Sulfa drugs. Since that's me I was all "well crap there goes that idea."
    Heyyy. I have a sulfa allergy too. 

Sent too soon. Looks like I won't be looking into that at all now. 
  • Ashoes123 said:
    mblomq2 said:
    Heyyy. I have a sulfa allergy too. 

Sent too soon. Looks like I won't be looking into that at all now. 
    Me three. Weird. I didn't know that about the sponge.
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• Weird I have sulfa allergy too I have never met anyone else!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @mblomq2 I feel exactly the same way as you! As of now, we are only planning on having one kid, but I'm not confident enough to make a permanent decision yet. I've never had an IUD so the unknown makes me nervous. But I'm not going back to BCP! It sounds like everyone has different IUD experiences. 
    I hated my mirena, but I know people who love it. It's super easy to get removed so don't let me put you off trying it! It just maybe that it works for you! I have severe endometriosis, and no doubt that affected my experiance
  • I'm wondering what everyone first used as bc? My first time was after DD and it was the mini pill. Never again, I became the meanest person ever and was constantly bleeding. Since that's my only experience I don't know where to begin with making a choice on what to use. 
    mblomq2 said:
    Just my 2 cents on the IUD topic...

I had to get off of the normal estrogen BC pill because of the type of migraines I was getting. I had the mirena and gave it a solid year, and it was HORRIBLE. I had continuous cramps, but no period. That was the only plus. So then I did the minipill and I might as well have been on nothing. I was moody, I had terrible cramps, heavy periods lasting almost 2 weeks (which were all the reasons I went on BC well before a boyfriend being in the picture).

I ended up getting another IUD, the Skyla, and had no issue whatsoever. I had virtually no period, and just some light cramping and bloating when I should be getting my period. My dr thinks the mirena just didn't work because I hadn't had kids yet (just a theory), but just to be safe, I'm doing the Skyla because it worked so well for me. The only drawback is it's only a 3 year deal, but we will have already started conversations about other kids at that point anyways  :)

Look at it this way, it can always be undone, and it's not like the shot where you have to wait for something to wear off before trying something new!
  • I got pregnant on the mini pill with this kiddo. I had had Mirena after my first and loved it, but didn’t want one after #2 because was considering a third kid and I’ll be 35 this year, so it seemed like a waste to have an IUD for only a year or two. And I took that damn pill exactly as directed! But it made the third kid decision easy ;)
  • We do FAM/symptothermal and have for all 8+ years of being married.  
  • @stephbp2007 that's good to know thanks!

Im terrified of hormonal changes, any birth control with any sort of hormone effect makes me batshit crazy.  I'm also nervous about getting my tubes tied or my husband getting a vasectomy because I've read so many testimonies that it can have an affect on hormones as well.  This isn't backed by science, but it's still irreversible and scary. That said, we are 2 and THROUGH.  Im thinking the copper IUD is looking like my best option, does anyone have experience with the non hormonal copper IUD?
  • I had a mirena after DD and it was great for a while.... then I got a yeast infection, then BV, then another yeast infection, then BV again in an endless cycle until I took the dang thing out because while I have had both before I have never had an endless cycle of never ending misery.  It is apparently very common to have those issues with an iud and I think my body just never was able to reset since I wasn't having a period.  I have thought about having tubal ligation during my c-section (if I go that route again), but the chances of still becoming pregnant in the years following one kind of scares me... your body can naturally heal and then you end up with an oopsie baby (there were a few in my Sept 15 bump group!).  I am done after 2.  There is no part of me that thinks I could handle having more children and even the decision to have a second was up in the air for a while.  I'm not exactly sure what we are going to do at this point as all options have their disadvantages
  • Ashoes123 said:
    @stephbp2007 that's good to know thanks!

Im terrified of hormonal changes, any birth control with any sort of hormone effect makes me batshit crazy.  I'm also nervous about getting my tubes tied or my husband getting a vasectomy because I've read so many testimonies that it can have an affect on hormones as well.  This isn't backed by science, but it's still irreversible and scary. That said, we are 2 and THROUGH.  Im thinking the copper IUD is looking like my best option, does anyone have experience with the non hormonal copper IUD?
    I had the copper iud for the last 6 years before dh and i decided to try for baby. had no issues with it.  My periods didn't get heavier,  they got a little lighter,  but i still had them monthly.  Out hurts going in and coming out imo, but send like a small issue for a bc you don't have to think about with out hormones. Also i got pregnant less than a month after it was removed. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • We are done after this. I had the Mirena IUD after DS and while I didn't mind the lack of periods, I didn't like the other side effects. I felt better mentally and have a much better libido after I got it removed. I will be having a c section again and contemplated a tubal but I've read many anecdotal stories where women had terrible side effects and higher depression/early menopause symptoms. I don't want to risk that. We didn't get pregnant after the removal of Mirena and found out i have a blocked tube so chances of a natural pregnancy seem low.  But my first son was an oopsie baby and you hear many stories about people getting pregnant naturally after IF.  When we know our family is complete, and we have 3 frozen embryos in case we somehow changed our mind, I think we will have DH get a vasectomy for peace of mind. 
    Me: 33 DH: 31
    DS: 5 years old
    TTC #2 since August 2015
    July 2016: Testing cycle with 100 mg Clomid = BFN
    August 2016: 50 mg Clomid + IUI = BFN
    October 2016: IVF#1 - 13 retrieved / 12 mature /  9 fertilized / 2 blasts
    November 2016: FET#1 = chemical
    January 2017: FET#2 = chemical
    March 2017: IVF#2 - 18 retrieved / 18 mature / 16 fertilized / 5 blasts
    April 24, 2017: FET#3 - BFN
    May 24, 2017: FET#4 - BFP! - Beta #1 151 - Beta #2 503 - Due date 2/9/18
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Is it bad that I don't want to get an IUD or use the pill anymore? I'm a FTM, but I'm so sick of putting things in my body that aren't natural. I was on the pill for 16 years before we decided to get pregnant. I say this now, but I don't mind having a closer age gap between kiddos. My brother and I are fairly close in age, so we did a lot of things together at the same time. For now, I don't think I want to do anything after this first LO joins the world. 
  • I know only a few have mentioned this, but we were using the FAM method for years and it worked for us, but I am wondering if it will be as clear to track PP? Any experience with this? 

We want a second child at least and I am mid 30s already, so most likely they will be close in age, but I prefer for them not to be too close. With our history of IF, I know it is not all in our hands, but I would like to plan some time for health/recovery reasons. 
  •  I am a FTM and want another kid for sure, and I'm 32 now so I want the second one pretty soon. Nothing against later maternal ages, it's just objectively considered higher risk so I want to be finished by 35. We might start trying again the end of 2018 or beginning of 2019. I haven't had problems with my BCP (I take beyaz) so I would like to just return to that. I think? I will definitely talk to my doctor.
  • We're planning to get pregnant with a second child maybe 9-12 months after this LO bc I'm 36.  I'll probably track my cycle and temp to avoid my fertile window.  I don't want to have to get off BC again before we're ready to go.
  • @ramzlau If you are planning to breastfeed, you'll need to look up rules for Lactational Amenorrhea (LAM.)  Some women get their periods 6-8 weeks and begin cycling and others start somewhere along the journey or even after weaning.

The important thing to remember when using FAM for PP (or any non hormonal method) is that ovulation comes before you get a period. The lochia after birth is the start of your first cycle. Then it's mainly following mucus rules for abstinence periods. I always refresh my memory on the rules before each kids, but I think it's 4 days after any time of fertile mucus. 

My first 2 were very easy to use FAM after, but my 3rd was really hard (I was exclusively pumping instead of nursing and he was high med needs, so we had very off schedules for sleep, pumping, etc... not to mention the stress levels.)
  • @Ashoes123, I think I mentioned this when this was a new thread, but in case not, I had the copper iud and it worked well while it worked. I am here despite it being properly placed and checked regularly. I know that is rare, but just be aware that it still is not 100%. We were one and done (very firmly), but the universe had other plans apparently. If you are two and through, and definitely do not want a third, I would recommend two forms of BC. We are going to do another iud for me and a vasectomy for my husband. We are two and through now (hopefully)! 
  • This has been a very enlightening thread. Im 36 now and this is our first. Besides talking about wanting a second relatively soon (start trying w/i a year) cuz of my age, havent thought much about bc after he comes out. The whole ovulating before having a cycle kinda blew my mind, so thanks for pointing that out @3plus1equals4. Will definitly have a chat w my ob about this!
  • @lainikins I DO recall seeing you post that and it blew my mind and freaked me out a little bit. It's supposed to be over 99% effective so the universe definitely had other plans for your family :-)