February 2018 Moms
Options

Post Baby Birth Control

Early to be thinking about this, I know. I have heard too many stories of friends getting pregnant at 6 weeks pp so I am starting to do my research. I do not enjoy the BCP and I think when you're BFing you're supposed to take the mini pill version? Not sure if I'm interested in all that. I think I may be contemplating an IUD. Copper sounds more appealing because there are no hormones. What are your thoughts and/or experiences on this? 

Re: Post Baby Birth Control

• Options
    My husband will be getting a vasectomy. I had an IUD, Mirena and Paragard, that were fine, just heavier and long menses with the Paragard.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    jessilee15jessilee15 member
    edited July 2017
    I prefer Mirena, since the copper typically causes heavier bleeding and Mirena usually causes you to stop having periods. It's hormones, but much lower dose. I did that once, and the mini pill the second time. I got pregnant on the mini pill, although I was pretty diligent about taking it within 2 hours every day, but not until 3 weeks after I weaned my 18 month old (I was waffling as to whether we were going to try for a third or get an IUD. I guess I got an answer!)
  • Options
    Natural pregnancy is not possible for us so I'll only go on BCP if I need it to manage my symptoms. I'm leaning towards mini pill because it's BF friendly and my insurance doesn't cover IUDs.
  • Options
    Hubby is getting snipped
  • Options
    We did nfp for 6 years, it worked until this last pregnancy, oh well. So in order to prevent 3 kids under three I'll be going on Mirena after this baby comes, since we'd still like one more. I have mixed feelings about Mirena so I'll def. be following to see other ladies experiences. 
  • Options
    meatballs37meatballs37 member
    edited July 2017
    Since mine will be a c-section and these two will be our last, im getting my tubes tied! No more birth control for me! 
  • Options
    I'm getting my tubes tied assuming I'm having a repeat csection as long as they can place an epidural. 
  • Options
    To the ladies getting their tubes tied - mind if I ask what swayed you that way vs husband getting a vasectomy? I'll also be having a csection and see the convenience of having it done myself. But I can't help but keep thinking that my husband should get snipped because I did all this work to get us here. 
  • Options
    To the ladies getting their tubes tied - mind if I ask what swayed you that way vs husband getting a vasectomy? I'll also be having a csection and see the convenience of having it done myself. But I can't help but keep thinking that my husband should get snipped because I did all this work to get us here. 
    My answer for getting my tubes tied probably won't apply to anyone else here. DH had testicular cancer 7 years ago and had one testicle removed plus lymph nodes. So there is a lot of scar tissue down there, it would be a harder recovery for him. Plus I would feel like a jerk having him go through that with all he has been through. I also don't see the point of paying for another out patient surgery when you are already opened up for a c section. 
  • Options
    meatballs37meatballs37 member
    edited July 2017
    And you may have been the one to be pregnant, but he did contribute sperm. Honestly I think it's kinda cruel that the only reason you want him to have a vasectomy is so that he has some discomfort. 
  • Options
    I found when breast feeding i did not get pregnant or have periods until i fully weaned the baby at about 1 year.  I had the copper iud for 6 years.  I didn't notice longer periods or cramping at all.  I was able to get pregnant my 1st complete cycle after the iud was removed. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • Options
    starlastarla member
    I had the Mirena before and would probably get another one PP. 
    Me: 34 | DH: 33
    Married Aug. 2013
    TTC #1 Sep. 2016
    ***TW***
    BFP Jan. 15, 2017; MMC Mar. 4, 2017 at 10w6d
    BFP Jun. 5, 2017; MMC Aug. 2, 2017 at 11w6d
    BFP Nov. 20, 2017; ended in CP
    All the tests. Everything normal except treated for ureaplasma and DH potentially has high DNAF.
    BFP Dec. 25, 2017; EDD Sep. 5, 2018; DD arrived Aug. 26th
    My chart: https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/63f71d

• Options
    First, I'm not married. Second, I don't want more kids. Period. With him. With someone else. None at all. Andplusalso I don't wish the discomfort on him just because I'm the one growing the baby.

If I wasn't 100% sure I was finished having babies the decision would be different. I think it's ridiculous to just make him do it because you carried the baby. 
  • Options
    First, I'm not married. Second, I don't want more kids. Period. With him. With someone else. None at all. Andplusalso I don't wish the discomfort on him just because I'm the one growing the baby.

If I wasn't 100% sure I was finished having babies the decision would be different. I think it's ridiculous to just make him do it because you carried the baby. 
    Exactly my sentiments above. If I could insert a clapping gif, I would. 
  • Options
    I hated hormonal birth control and this is definitely our last. The plan is for DH to get snipped once I've recovered from childbirth. 

We're basing that on the on the assumption that this will be another vaginal birth; he'll go in for the vasectomy because it's a far less invasive procedure for him. Being a medical professional he even volunteered to be the one to undergo surgery. 

Should I end up with a c/s I'll likely have my tubes tied. It seems like the logical choice. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    meatball37 said:
    And you may have been the one to be pregnant, but he did contribute sperm. Honestly I think it's kinda cruel that the only reason you want him to have a vasectomy is so that he has some discomfort. 
    ummm I don't want DH to have discomfort! That's pushing it. I understand having your tubes tied if you were already having a c section but no way am I doing it if I'm not! The process, risks, and recovery are WAY harder for a woman. While I carry the child- they are OUR children and OUR choice wheather or not we want more. Given all of that I think it makes the most sense. Maybe not for everyone... but for DH and I. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Copper IUD is okay while breastfeeding.
  • Options

Uhh yeah I said nothing about wanting to cause him discomfort. Jesus Christ, that was a rash assumption. It's being a team in the baby making business and being a team in our birth control. Our husbands aren't pregnant. It isn't about discomfort, it's just about having an active role. 

My question is just what helped you guys decide who. Clearly your family had a personal health issue to make that decision. So no it wouldn't generally apply to other women trying to make the decision. And that's unfortunate your husband had to go through that. 
  • Options

Uhh yeah I said nothing about wanting to cause him discomfort. Jesus Christ, that was a rash assumption. It's being a team in the baby making business and being a team in our birth control. Our husbands aren't pregnant. It isn't about discomfort, it's just about having an active role. 

My question is just what helped you guys decide who. Clearly your family had a personal health issue to make that decision. So no it wouldn't generally apply to other women trying to make the decision. And that's unfortunate your husband had to go through that. 
    Thanks for clarifying. I do agree that it is a team effort in responsibility for birth control. I'm sorry I interpreted wrong. Although in our so/dh's defense, it does kind of fall on us to be pregnant and deliver our children aka "all the work" and they biologically can't really help that.
  • Options
    No advice on birth control method since I've never used any, BUT I did want to chime in and make sure people know you definitely can get pregnant while breastfeeding. Just in case anyone had planned on that being their birth control the first year. Many don't get their periods or get pregnant, hence the common belief that breastfeeding is pretty effective as bc, but many do so just wanted to leave that here! Just in case! I got my period back at 8 months PP (exclusively breastfeeding) and got pregnant before I weaned DS. 
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Options

I don't think that was that "rash" of an assumption. You implied that perhaps he should do something now because you've done "all the work" thusfar. When you say work I take that as you've done all the uncomfortable stuff so now he should contribute. I'm sure you don't actually want your husband to suffer or have discomfort, but that seems to be the implication.
  • Options
    My answer for getting my tubes tied probably won't apply to anyone else here. DH had testicular cancer 7 years ago and had one testicle removed plus lymph nodes. So there is a lot of scar tissue down there, it would be a harder recovery for him. Plus I would feel like a jerk having him go through that with all he has been through. I also don't see the point of paying for another out patient surgery when you are already opened up for a c section. 
    Sorry to hear about your DH. Does he have a good prognosis now?
  • Options
    No advice on birth control method since I've never used any, BUT I did want to chime in and make sure people know you definitely can get pregnant while breastfeeding. Just in case anyone had planned on that being their birth control the first year. Many don't get their periods or get pregnant, hence the common belief that breastfeeding is pretty effective as bc, but many do so just wanted to leave that here! Just in case! I got my period back at 8 months PP (exclusively breastfeeding) and got pregnant before I weaned DS. 
    7 weeks PP with baby number one and 8 weeks PP with baby number two while exclusively breastfeeding. BREASTFEEDING =/= BIRTH CONTROL
  • Options
    7 weeks PP with baby number one and 8 weeks PP with baby number two while exclusively breastfeeding. BREASTFEEDING =/= BIRTH CONTROL
    I can't even tell you how many Drs/nurses told me while I was still in the hospital, "you know you can still get pregnant while breastfeeding!" They were pushing birth control hard core. I politely declined. I told them if I were to get pregnant my husband and I were perfectly ok with that. It did take me almost 9 months to have a period PP and I ended up KU on my second cycle. (On purpose)
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your DH. Does he have a good prognosis now?
    He does! At the 5 year mark for remission he was done with full scans. Just an X-ray and labs yearly. :) we were told it would be hard for us to conceive as well. And I'm happy that wasn't the case for us. We are pretty darn blessed. 
    That is so great to hear!! 
  • Options
    I'm not going back on BC after birth because we've already shown it's pretty difficult for me to get pregnant on my own, considering we had to do IVF for this one. It's still remotely possible, but I'll use temping/CM to avoid rather than go on BC. Plus if I were to get pregnant that would be just fine with me. We have to wait several months to TTC (prob about 6), but like I said, I'll use FAM to avoid. If the possibility of pregnancy were higher, I'd get an IUD again, no question. It was fantastic for me. At some point I'll declare baby making time over, at which point I'll either do an IUD or a hysterectomy, considering I'll need one at some point anyway with my history of fibroids.
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• Options
    I'm going to talk to my doctor about either getting my tubes tied or removed during my repeat c-section. (I have so much scar tissue built up for my emergency c-section 15 years ago my new doctor is hesitant to risk a VBAC, especially since I live over an hour from the hospital.) I wouldn't mind a uterine hysterectomy. I'm 40...this is the last baby. We want to make sure we're d for done this time. 

****TW Signature****
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD born 04/28/2002
    Married DH 03/25/2017
    1st MMC 08/13/2016 2nd MMC 02/14/2017
    BFP 06/16/17 Rainbow DS Born 02/05/2018

• Options
    They won't turn tubes with a C section here. The doctors say it is just too much to recover from so you have to come in later for a seperate procedure so regardless of how this both happens DH will be getting the snip

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• Options
    lainikinslainikins member
    edited July 2017
    My husband will be getting a  vasectomy. It might not happen immediately after birth, but that is the plan. Until then, I will use the mini pill while breastfeeding along with condoms. I will probably go on the pill after. Not to scare anyone, but I am here despite having a copper iud placed. It worked great for 4 1/2 years, but I am here. I did love it, the periods were only bad for the first 6 months, then they were normal. I will say that I liked the fact I still got my period each month. I would have been crazy and testing every month without one. When my period did not show up, I tested and it was positive. 

Edited for typos
  • Options
    After being married to a man who naturally couldn't produce any sperm, I would NEVER expect my now husband to get snipped. But to each their own I guess! I have heard vasectomy horror stories from close friends, not to mention I eventually lost interest in my ex, just knowing he could never get me pregnant. You might think that's a horrible thing to say, but honestly it's just human nature...
  • Options
    sabriel1 said:
    They won't turn tubes with a C section here. The doctors say it is just too much to recover from so you have to come in later for a seperate procedure so regardless of how this both happens DH will be getting the snip
    So this very post made me ask my OB today at my appt if having my tubes tied during my csection affected anything during recovery. He said doing it took an extra 5 minutes during the csection and wouldn't add any extra recovery time or pain. 

Has anyone else been told anything more or less about adding this procedure during a csection? 
  • Options
    This is our last child. We'll have 4 under 4.5.  I've taken enough birth control over the years. It's my husbands turn! Snip snip. Ta ta! 

DD #1 3/26/13
    Mo/Mo twins MMC 3/31/14  o:)
    DD #2 3/31/15
    DD #3 8/25/16
  • Options
    My husbands argument against a vasectomy is that men lose testosterone, can get depressed, and also the 3 friends we have that we know have vasectomies all now have marriage problems or are getting divorced.  I need to do some research on this and also plan on taking to our Dr about vasectomy versus tubes tied, but I wonder if there may be similar hormonal implications for getting tubes tied.  
  • Options
    sabriel1 said:
    So this very post made me ask my OB today at my appt if having my tubes tied during my csection affected anything during recovery. He said doing it took an extra 5 minutes during the csection and wouldn't add any extra recovery time or pain. 

Has anyone else been told anything more or less about adding this procedure during a csection? 
    My OB recommended it after the c-section and said it was an easy and quick procedure. I also wonder why there are such different answers among medical professionals. I would think it would be annoying to go back in for it and have a second recovery with a newborn(s) at home. 

My mom was also an OR tech and she said they tied tubes all the time after a c section. As long as there aren't any complications from the c-section itself, I don't see why an OB would recommend another surgery and recovery. 
  • Options
    sabriel1 said:

My OB recommended it after the c-section and said it was an easy and quick procedure. I also wonder why there are such different answers among medical professionals. I would think it would be annoying to go back in for it and have a second recovery with a newborn(s) at home. 

My mom was also an OR tech and she said they tied tubes all the time after a c section. As long as there aren't any complications from the c-section itself, I don't see why an OB would recommend another surgery and recovery. 
    I also feel like even if it did make the recovery a bit tougher I would take that over going back and having another surgery. My csection recovery was definitely difficult but if it meant getting it all over with at once I would take the extra bit of time to recover.
    DD - 4.15.16
  • Options
    My birth control will be having a newborn and a toddler. But seriously, I had a mirena and I hated it. Everyone is deferent, but my experience was that I would get spotting on and off every fortnight for 12 months I had it.  I found it to also be physically uncomfortable so maybe it was never put in properly? But I can tell you I will never get it or any other iud because my experience was terrible. They put it in after a surgery I had for endo- it also did not stop the progression of my endo as it was "supposed too" 
  • Options
    mbirdie said:
    sabriel1 said:

I also feel like even if it did make the recovery a bit tougher I would take that over going back and having another surgery. My csection recovery was definitely difficult but if it meant getting it all over with at once I would take the extra bit of time to recover.
    I would agree with the logic as well. This might have to do with being in a smaller province here in Canada. I know that things are different here. 

Around here it is also pretty difficult to get your tubes tied before age 30-35 as no doctor will do it so they aren't exactly onboard with woman being in control of their own fertility.

Other differences include that zofran is very rarely prescribed here during pregnancy. And vaginal breech birthday are becoming more common.

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018