Baby Names

Undecided!

edited September 2017 in Baby Names
Hi Ladies,
   So here is our shortlist. I've been obsessing for months, I know some are a little trendy, but not actually that popular like Harper and Everly and nothing made up or spelled weird etc.I also love the classics but they are everywhere these days! For good reason, beautiful names butbindont want her to be one of 5 in her class of Olivias or Avas or Emma's.
inhave weighed out many pros and cons to each but would love to know your thoughts. We definitely lean more artsy/bohemian as a family.

Marlowe: lots of people seem to not love this but it's my fave I think.retro vibe to me, not typical girl and doesn't have the girly "ee" sound at the end. This it's cute but will age really well. There will be no nickname here because Indontnlike Marley and it rhymes with my sons name.

Indie: hubby and I both adore this period

Piper: sounds the most trendy to me but it's still not really that popular statistically I don't think.

what are your thoughts?
we are also considering adding Georgia back on the list and we really like it. I'm super surprised at the negative feedback that I've gotten so far on Marlowe since it is the most old-fashioned out of all of the names. I figured that Piper would get the most flack for being trendy. 

Re: Undecided!

• Piper. 

Indie is a nickname for problematic names and Marlowe I just find ugly as a given.
  • Piper by a million miles

• Loading the player...
  • BabyBoyH92016BabyBoyH92016 member
    edited September 2017
    I actually like Marlowe a lot and agree with your reasoning behind it. I definitely think it's the best choice of the 3. 

Piper to me is a cutesy name. Sure it will be adorable on a toddler, but for some reason I start to dislike it when I think of a teenager/adult. Although it's not popular (when you look at the numbers) it's still trendy, which would worry me that the name will age horribly.

Indie is not my style at all, but I would put it above Piper because at least it's unique. I know you and your hubs are artsy/bohemian, but what if your daughter is not. If she does follow in her parents footsteps, then I think it's a fine name, but you are taking a gamble. 

I vote Marlowe 1000% 

• Honestly they are all meh for me. They aren't terrible, but not amazing... Marlow sounds like a boy name and Indie sounds like a nickname... or like you are big race car fans or maybe indie film festival  fanatics... Piper is okay, but I always picture a little girl and not an adult. It doesn't grow well for me... 
  • Piper - and I think of Piper from OITNB, so I think it is fine on an adult.
  • Love Indie. Marlowe and Piper are nice too.
  • Piper and Marlowe are nice to me.  Indie just makes me think of Indiana Jones.  It doesn't sound like a real name or even a fake name for a girl.
  • There's a 3-y/o Marlowe in DH's family and she's adorable and I love her name on her.
    I do like the others too, but I think Marlowe is my favorite.
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • I like Piper best
  • Thanks ladies! We had discussed Hunter a long time ago but I vetoed that, just too manly I thought. And Georgia which I loved but hubbybdid not.  And Chloe which never quite made it to the top of the list although I do really like it, maybe too popular for me. It's insane how long it takes to narrow a list down to two or three names! 
  • Piper
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Piper for sure
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • Piper but I'd keep looking.
  • FakeFinnFakeFinn member
    edited October 2017
    Georgia, no contest :) Love it!

Out of Marlowe, Indie and Piper, I prefer Piper. Indie is a nn and Marlowe is just NMS. I don't know if it's the sound, the spelling or that I jumble it up with Harlow and Harper and think it just seems too bang on trend. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Georgia is my favorite
  • Marlowe seems made up and like it has a lot of unnecessary letters. What about Margo or Margot? That's a real, classic name with a similar feel and also fairly hip?

I like Indie as a nickname for Indigo, but I'm not a nn as a full name person. Also the reason I don't like Piper. 
    Waiting for #3!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Guillerma said:
    Marlowe seems made up and like it has a lot of unnecessary letters. What about Margo or Margot? That's a real, classic name with a similar feel and also fairly hip?

I like Indie as a nickname for Indigo, but I'm not a nn as a full name person. Also the reason I don't like Piper. 
    Marlowe is not made up but Margot is a good suggestion! Is Piper a nn for something? I have only heard it as s full name.
  • cantrelljacantrellja member
    edited October 2017
    I have to respond! I know a woman named India who had two daughters: August and Marlowe! Piper is too trendy-- it sounds like you are more a risk taker than that. Most people on here will tell you Piper but that is because there is a definite style that is popular on this Board (and it's a lot more traditional than I suspect you are). By the way, my friend India has a sister named Eden. I also like Margot and Kerrigan. Have you considered Maclaine? I knew a little girl once named Maclaine who had a sister named Margot. And if you ever have a boy, consider Maguire. 
  • Georgia is my favorite of your names. Piper is okay, but NMS. Dislike Indie has a stand alone name (cute as a nn); dislike Marlowe. I do like Margot and Chloe as well
  • I love Eden but hubby does not. However today We have been quite excited about the idea of Margot! Thinking it may be the one and it will sound great with our sons name, Charlie! I feel like it's retro but spunky at the same time. It was the same way when we need our son. We had an ongoing list for months and months and they're at it down to three and literally a week before my due date my husband suggested Charlie and that was it bam!  Some have now all of a sudden I can totally picture Margot being Charlie's little sister.
  • I love Eden but hubby does not. However today We have been quite excited about the idea of Margot! Thinking it may be the one and it will sound great with our sons name, Charlie! I feel like it's retro but spunky at the same time. It was the same way when we need our son. We had an ongoing list for months and months and they're at it down to three and literally a week before my due date my husband suggested Charlie and that was it bam!  Some have now all of a sudden I can totally picture Margot being Charlie's little sister.
    Loooove Margot. 
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • JMU_Bride09JMU_Bride09 member
    edited October 2017
    Marlowe seems totally masculine to me.  I also do not see it aging well at all.  Indie either.  I would pick Marlowe over Indie in a heartbeat, but I really feel that Piper is the winner of these three.  It's cute for a baby but works for an adult as well.  And it's definitely feminine without being overly girly.

ETA: just saw your post about Margot, and I think that that is a great choice with Charlie!  Glad to see that you found a name that you love.

• Margot is lovely!
  • Love Margot and for me it's so much prettier than Marlowe.
  • Margot is great! Very pretty for a little girl and also a teen and adult. :smiley: It's unique but also recognizable.
  • I like Margot, too.  Piper I would worry about due to the fact a lot of dogs have that name - Pippa, too. Or Margaux?? That is the French spelling?  Or give her a more traditional like Margaret and call her Margot as a nickname?
  • Marguax is a town. Margot is the French spelling.
  • I feel like Margot has the vibe/style you're looking for in Marlowe, but without all the potential drawbacks of Marlowe (sounds masculine, is a last name, sounds made up, etc.)

Indie = Indiana Jones's nickname.  India is a good substitute, but I like it less than Margot or Marlowe.

Piper = 100% trendy.  Your daughter is much more likely to have another Piper in her class or grade at school than another Margot.  On the SSA names website, Piper has climbed from 509 to 67 in the last 15 years. It's clearly increasing in popularity and trendiness.  FWIW, Margot has also climbed in popularity.  From 2013 to 2016 it went from the low 900s to the 400s.  Before 2013 it wasn't even in the top 1000.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Ah, how scary! Congrats, she's beautiful!

I hope you have a speedy recovery!
  • I’m sorry that you had such a traumatic experience! Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl (great name, btw!) and I wish you a quick and uneventful recovery!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Congratulations!! Scary experience but she is beautiful with a beautiful name, and lucky to not need nicu. 
  • Gorgeous name! Congratulations!  I hope that your recovery time is short!

• Great name choice!  Congrats on your baby girl. 
  • CONGRATULTIONS! However they get here, as long as you both are safe...that's all that matters! 
  • She’s beautiful! And I love her name! Also, thanks for updating us - it kind of makes me sad how few people wind up posting the names they end up choosing. I get curious!