December 2017 Moms

FFFC* - 9/29

*not necessarily flame free

I wanted to get this going early today because I've been up for over an hour and have absolutely nothing to do today. Entertain us with your confessions, ladies.

Re: FFFC* - 9/29

• Loading the player...
  • I forgot about that show! Please say it is on Netflix!
  • @skcobb I think it is your right as a pregnant woman to use "I can't because I'm pregnant" as an excuse. You're busy growing eyeballs!

My FFFC is I'm kind of terrified that I'm going to be bored to death during my maternity leave and I already feel kind of guilty about it.

• @jlemons-2 @Skcobb Your TV choices crack me up! I'm totally on board with Secret Life and Sabrina for maternity leave binge-watching.
  • @leilagphillips By the end of my maternity leave with my DS I was so bored! All of my friends and family worked and the baby slept a lot and I was recovering from a csection so I was sitting around watching trashy tv.  I don't think I'll have the same problems with a 2 year old this time and I'm looking forward to the "boring" moments when it's just me and baby.
  • @Skcobb, I often tell DH I can't do things because "I don't feel well.....I didn't sleep....my back hurts"...even if I feel great and I slept like a rock. There are plenty of times I do things when I do feel shitty....I need to play the card every now and then!
    Momma to Amelia Marie (7/14) and Austin Samuel (11/17). Adding baby (girl) #3 on 7/21  <3
  • @jlemons-2 it's on Prime Video on Amazon

@ameliabedelia-2 I try not to use it on DH too much, but I totally use it to get out of sex when I'm not feeling it because I'm horrible like that
  • @Piccola1988 I definitely agree. I think it's fine if you buy one or two things off the registry and then include a cute outfit or something too, but those registry items better be there!
  • @Piccola1988 I have to disagree there...with DD, I had no idea what I needed. I had some mom friends buy me this that I never would have thought about (nipple soothing pads, extra milk storage bags/organizers, etc), as well as some things I just didn't bother to register for, like clothes. Now if you go buy something completely random, then I'll side eye, but if it's useful, I say go for it.
  • @Piccola1988 I am with you, with the same caveat as @skobb. As long as they include a gift receipt. There are a lot of things that we have gotten second hand, so they aren't on our registry, and if people buy those it will be frustrating. But as a FTM, if I left something useful off and someone notices and buys one for me, I would totally appreciate that. I think it's a fine line to walk, and as the gift giver you have to be certain you know what line you're on. 
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    2 Dogs / 2 Cats 
    IUI #1 07/2016 BFN
    IUI #2 10/2016 BFN
    IUI #3 11/2016 BFN
    IVF #1 03/2017 - 23 Retrieved / 22 Fertilized / 11 at Day 3 / 1 Beautiful Embryo tf on Day 5 / 7 Frozen on Day 6 - Beta #1 4/5/17: 104 Beta #2 4/7/17 224
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @leilagphillips yes, exactly!

@Skcobb see that's what I would consider an exception.  Those types of things are obviously useful and actually really thoughtful.  In my experience that's rare and the people that buy off registry usually are buying something random.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I do the same thing at most showers: one thing off the registry, one cute thing that I can't resist, and one small pack of diapers. If it's someone close to me, I may add a couple more things from the registry. My favorite gifts from my shower tended to be the more personal items that were not on my registry. 
  • @peachy13 I hope you have better luck than me at your shower! I didn’t register for clothes since I wanted to buy and pick out cute outfits and wanted help with practical items. Almost all I got was clothes. I have over 30 newborn outfits alone. Watch she won’t even fit in them... lol I guess little girl clothes are impossible to resist
  • @jlemons-2 I used to watch that! Terrible, but addictive. 

@peachy13 Sometimes going back to work is nice just for the adult interaction! full-time at home with a baby is hard. 

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017
  • @balletnerd I actually showed my husband the photo you posted of all those outfits because I thought it was so insane! I'm terrified the same thing is going to happen to us. I'm also going to make a concerted effort to only buy 3-6 month clothes or older from now on when I get gifts since the newborn ones last for such a short amount of time.
  • When our friends were getting married, I loved looking at their registries just to make comments like "he's never going to use that brie baker," but I also liked knowing the couple actually wanted what I was giving them. To me, registries are the best things to happen to gift giving, as a giver and a receiver. 
  • If you do get a ton of outfits you don't want, return them. Most of the baby stores have really good exchange programs so you can at least get store credit, and aren't stuck with outfits you don't want. Believe me, you're going to be visiting BBB, BRU and Target a ton in the last few weeks anyway, so it's not as daunting as you would think
  • Oh, I totally use the "I'm pregnant" excuse when I don't feel like doing something.  I try not to too much, but I've definitely pulled that card. It's limited when you can use it, so take advantage while you can. 

I didn't register for clothes because I knew people would just buy what they want anyway.  I've bought a couple of things - things I absolutely loved - as I've come across them, but the goal is to wait to buy clothes until after the shower.  That way we can see what gaps exist and buy to them.  

I don't understand buying off registry.  It makes it easier on me (oh look, a website of things I can buy) and that way I know its a gift the receiver will like/use.  For our wedding, we got quite a few off-registry items and few, if any, were actually helpful.  

** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
  • I think most of you saw my MBF about my *SHOWER HOSTESSES* going off-registry!!! I could've cried. We were getting that item as a hand-me-down already.  There's nothing you can do in that scenario to not look like a jerk either so you just have to smile and say thanks. I also did not get a single wipe or diaper at the shower which I thought was weird?

I don't mind homemade/handmade gifts that are similar to registry items, i.e. bibs, burp cloths, blankets.  But yeah.  I ALWAYS use people's registries so I don't understand how I only have like 15 of 150 items purchased.  
  • The issue with me returning a bunch of the outfits I got is that they aren’t all returnable. Meaning.... some friends altered them... adding lace and bows, tye dyed plain ones, etc. so artsy hahaha And my mom was apparently collecting for a few years- so she had a huge stockpile of stuff from years ago that wouldn’t be taken back by stores. I’m hoping since I’ve posted some photos on social media of the outfits I got at my first shower... that I won’t get as many at my shower in November! Haha
  • elcd458 said:
    I think most of you saw my MBF about my *SHOWER HOSTESSES* going off-registry!!! I could've cried. We were getting that item as a hand-me-down already.  There's nothing you can do in that scenario to not look like a jerk either so you just have to smile and say thanks. I also did not get a single wipe or diaper at the shower which I thought was weird?

I don't mind homemade/handmade gifts that are similar to registry items, i.e. bibs, burp cloths, blankets.  But yeah.  I ALWAYS use people's registries so I don't understand how I only have like 15 of 150 items purchased.  
    You got no diapers or wipes???? I thought that was like the #1 go to/filler gift! My policy is usually a size 1 box of diapers, a gift card to the store they registered at, and a small item from the registry (maybe an outfit our something small and cute off registry if it's a closer friend). I freaking love getting diapers as a gift.

Also, just an FYI, Huggies is donating a days worth of diapers to relief efforts and women's shelters for every box you add to your BRU registry (I don't think they even have to be bought, just put on there), so that's a good way to give back! Then you can always exchange them if someone buys them for you and you don't like Huggies 
  • edited September 2017
    My shower is tomorrow and I'm so worried I'm not going to get anything but clothes. Only two people have bought anything off my registry so far  :|
    Me 29 I Him 26
    Married 4/22/16
    TTC 9/2015
    **TW**
    BFP 2/1/16 I MC 3/21/16 (11w)
    TTCAL 6/15/16
    BFP 3/23/2017 Team pink! Quinn Leigh EDD December 1, 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• My shower was last weekend, and I didn't receive a single box of diapers or wipes (they were even on my registry). I can't complain since most people bought off my registry, but I was really surprised!
  • I only received one box of diapers at my shower for my first. It was unexpected. I also got something like 100 bottles of baby wash and one bottle lasts a long time on a human that's 20 inches long! 

@balletnerd that's a good idea posting all the clothes and then you can add the comment "we are set for clothes for at least a year!"
  • I got a ton of baby wash at my shower for DD! She's 18 months old and I'm almost done with the 2nd bottle  :D
  • jlemons-2  18 months later and we still haven't bought soap, shampoo or lotion for DS and I don't see us making any purchases any time soon lol

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• Sometimes when baby kicks or squirms my first reaction still is thinking I have indigestion and wondering what the heck I ate?? :lol:  And then I'm like, oh yeah, Heeeey baby!
    Me: 36  | DH 35, Married 2007
    TTC #1 June 2015
    April 2016 - AMH, FSH, Progesterone normal
    June 2016 - HSG clear
    *TW* BFP - Aug16, demise confirmed Sep16, incomplete m/c, D&C Nov16
    BFP 3/27/17, edd 12/7/17
    DS - 12/9/17 
    <3 
    TTC #2 December 2018 
    BFP 2/22/19, edd 11/4/19
    DD - 11/1/19 <3
    My Chart

• @whiska Same!! I'm lactose intolerant and have never been one to avoid dairy, so I've spent a good amount of my life with rolling/gurgling sensations in my belly. I'm so used to it at this point that it does take me a few seconds to focus on the sensation and remember that it's actually a little person moving around.
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    TTC #1 since 12/2015
    BFP 4/4/17, EDD 12/4/17

Pregnancy Ticker

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• On the subject of shower gifts---I have baby shower #2 coming up and the monster in law that i have posted about asked "what all i needed cause not everybody knows how to look/order on amazon" ummmmmmm dumb butt why dont you look and then tell everybody what is on there so they will at least get the right stuff!!!!!! So i have a feeling imma just get clothes and maybe diapers that i will probably have to exchange :-/ ugh im sooooo annoyed with the whole thing and its not till the 21st :-(
  • @jlemons-2 I loved that show but simultaneously cringed the whole time I watched it because HOLY CHEESY ACTING. Such a good guilty pleasure. It's still insane to me that Shailene Woodley is now a serious actress (and not only that, but like a serious activist).

@whiska I sometimes feel that way too. Sometimes her movements are just so big and crazy, but other times I'm like, "Why does it just feel like my stomach is upset or growling?" lol.

+1000 on the registry stuff. No one except me/MIL has purchased anything off my registry yet, but I've got like a month until my first shower. I'm nervous to get only clothes. Our first shower is in CA so I'm hoping people will just buy off the registry and have it shipped to our address...I really want MIL to spread the word that if people do that they won't have to pay sales tax since it's shipping to Oregon... Maybe that would be an incentive.
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • +1 on the registry stuff! My first shower is a week from today, and so far no one but my mom and MIL have bought anything off the registry.. .EEK! It feels totally greedy to say, but hopefully since it's a work shower they're all just buying gift cards... My family shower is about two weeks from now, so hopefully that means they're just taking their time. 
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    2 Dogs / 2 Cats 
    IUI #1 07/2016 BFN
    IUI #2 10/2016 BFN
    IUI #3 11/2016 BFN
    IVF #1 03/2017 - 23 Retrieved / 22 Fertilized / 11 at Day 3 / 1 Beautiful Embryo tf on Day 5 / 7 Frozen on Day 6 - Beta #1 4/5/17: 104 Beta #2 4/7/17 224
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I totally use the 'i'm pregnant' excuse at work to always get to go on first break (being an RN we all have to alternate breaks and cover each other). It's glorious. I just have to say I'm hungry and most people let me go! lol

my FFFC is i already started Christmas shopping 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • @failuretofly Love that gif and also you and 
    @cait5413 I am so impressed!!!
    I've got October to get the nursery ready, giving myself 2 weeks in November to put away everything we get at the shower (plus wash clothes, prep diapers, pack bags), and then I'm going full Christmas. Hopefully I can get some shopping done too, but tbh it's probably all coming from Amazon this year! 
    Me: 36  | DH 35, Married 2007
    TTC #1 June 2015
    April 2016 - AMH, FSH, Progesterone normal
    June 2016 - HSG clear
    *TW* BFP - Aug16, demise confirmed Sep16, incomplete m/c, D&C Nov16
    BFP 3/27/17, edd 12/7/17
    DS - 12/9/17 
    <3 
    TTC #2 December 2018 
    BFP 2/22/19, edd 11/4/19
    DD - 11/1/19 <3
    My Chart