February 2018 Moms
Options

Fit Mom Friday

2»

Re: Fit Mom Friday

• Options
    I decided to join a running group this week! We have gone out twice (3kms each time) and I did a shift shop workout too! So this week is my best week yet! Lol
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    10K tomorrow night...wish me luck!
  • Options
    Great job ladies! @katefb17 I need to get back to the pool too... just dreading putting on my bathing suit! 

Good luck @jessilee15 !  Let us know how it goes! 

4 runs so far for me this week, was planning to run/walk a half tomorrow but seem to have picked up a cold from DS1
  • Options
    Good luck @jessilee15!! You will do great! 
  • Options
    Good luck @jessilee15!

Im still getting 3 days a week in. I'd be more content with 4/5 but it is what it is. 
  • Options
  • Options
    Awesome job, @jessilee15 !! You inspired me to do the half I had signed up for a few weeks ago and I felt surprisingly well, too! Ran about 2:00/mile slower than my best half pace, but didn't need any walk breaks so I can't complain! Also dreading how I'll feel tomorrow... and looking forward to winding down longer runs for the rest of this pregnancy :) 
  • Options
    psm2462 said:
    Awesome job, @jessilee15 !! You inspired me to do the half I had signed up for a few weeks ago and I felt surprisingly well, too! Ran about 2:00/mile slower than my best half pace, but didn't need any walk breaks so I can't complain! Also dreading how I'll feel tomorrow... and looking forward to winding down longer runs for the rest of this pregnancy :) 
    Congrats!! I actually feel pretty good today...
  • Options
    @eggplantface I'm right there with you.  It took way too long to get to this point.  If it's uncomfortable, I stop.  I was a big runner before TTC, but I've stopped completely for the time being.  I subscribed to the Beach Body On Demand program about a year ago to do the 21 Day Fix.  Turns out they have a prenatal program with a different video for each trimester that's not bad. I try to do that a few times a week (although since school started I've been  so tired it ends up being much less) and I've gone to prenatal yoga once a week, too.  I want to stay in enough shape that it's healthy for me and the baby and not horribly painful to get back in shape after, without pushing myself too hard.
  • Options
    kbrinks2kbrinks2 member
    edited September 2017
    Question for the Mommas that run during pregnancy or have ran during previous ones:
    I've been running 3-4 times a week, no more than 5K, and I usually stick around the 3K. Lately I have found my pubic bone is really hurting after running. Almost like someone punched me there. Has this happened to any other running mommas? Anything to do to help it? It feels fine when I'm running but when I'm walking around later that day or the next day it is sore! 

Eta: it's early! 
  • Options
    @kbrinks2 the feeling you describe was (among other things) one of the reasons I wasn't able to run much past 24 weeks with my first. From what I've read it seems relatively common, just stress on your pelvis. It helped me to use regular run/walk intervals (for example, run two minutes, walk one minute). I don't think it's necessarily dangerous but the discomfort following running made it not worth it to me to push too hard. You might also try a support belt which it sounds like has been helpful to some ladies! 
  • Options
    @kbrinks2 I get this same feeling when I run/ immediately after. I agree with @psm2462 that run/walk intervals have helped me. Early on getting new shoes with a lot more padding than I was used to (I went from some minimalist trail runners to Hokas ;) ) also helped reduce the bruised pubic bone feeling.
    Married 5/27/13
    Anniversary

Baby#2
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD#1
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Options
    Thank you! @psm2462 @katefb17
    I might have to start running/walking intervals! And/or try a belly band! I enjoy the "me" time and I'm afraid I will lose any stamina that I have if I just stop! Lol but I don't want to feel that sore! 
    I think I'll keep running until I just can't anymore and then switch to walking instead!
  • Options
    I'm totally co-opting "Fit Mom Friday" from whoever was originally in charge, but here goes!

How'd everyone do this week? @kbrinks2 any luck with the bruised feeling easing off while running?

I managed to get in 3 runs (including one run/walk), a spin class, and a prenatal strength video which was embarrassingly so much harder than I felt like it should have been.  But another week of promising I'd get myself to the pool and not following through... maybe next week is the week :)
  • Options
    Question- I've had to scale back running some (but still ran 4x this week, just only 3 miles and slower), but I really ought to add in some sort of cross training or yoga. Surely there's free stuff on my amazon fire stick or sling tv? I'm tech challenged, so if anyone knows what's on there it would be great!! I used to like Nike plus fit club, but they don't have any prenatal options
  • Options
    Question- I've had to scale back running some (but still ran 4x this week, just only 3 miles and slower), but I really ought to add in some sort of cross training or yoga. Surely there's free stuff on my amazon fire stick or sling tv? I'm tech challenged, so if anyone knows what's on there it would be great!! I used to like Nike plus fit club, but they don't have any prenatal options
    You don't have to specifically use prenatal workouts. Just don't be stupid with what you use and modify as needed. 
  • Options
    @jessilee15 I agree with @smorzandoj that you don't have to specifically use prenatal workouts, as long as you modify appropriately (don't lay on your back for long periods of time, avoid crossover movements or rectal abdominal work if you have a diastasis recti, etc.) and otherwise listen to your body.

That being said, a lot of prenatal strength workouts and yoga will be targeted toward strengthening muscles that help stabilize your body as you get bigger and stretching/loosening those that can be bothersome later in pregnancy.  I've had good luck just searching on YouTube for what I want to do, e.g., "prenatal yoga" or "prenatal lower body workout."  
  • Options
    @psm2462 I'm still having a bruised feeling. I waited 3 days before running again this week and it seemed better but is now actually sore just from walking and standing all day! 
    I asked the doctor about it and she said "do you HAVE to run?" Well of course I don't have to run but I have been enjoying it otherwise. So she recommended to not run and to walk instead. I'm going to go for a run tonight and see how it goes and I might have to give it up and do some beachbody workouts instead! 
    The pain just doesn't seem like something I want or need with being pregnant and chasing a toddler around! 
    But I did manage 2 runs this week (3K each time), upper fix and lower fix!