February 2018 Moms
Options

Fit Mom Friday

How are everyone's fitness goals going this week?

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

Re: Fit Mom Friday

• Options
    Well I started this thread this week because I finally got if my butt again after relaxing for a few weeks because of sickness and then finding it hard to get the motivation to start back up again. I signed up for beach body on demand and did 30 minute workouts Tuesday, Thursday and today. Hoping I can get in a good routine here again.

My other 4 pregnancies I've gained 40lbs each time so I'm hoping for something more reasonable this time. 

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• Options
    I cleaned the entire house just now with a random bout of energy, does that count as a workout??! bc it might be all I have to give ha.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am happy to report I got back into my routine of run/yoga 4 to 5 times a week. Really enjoying the 2nd trimester energy boost!
  • Options
    Uh. I cleaned the room that serves as our "gym" and I ordered a work out dvd AND it came in the mail this week. That counts, right?  
  • Options
    I managed 3 days of 30 min walks and 3 days of 30 min on the elyptical. By Friday I have no energy to do anymore lol. I just want ice cream. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I went to the gym once. Walked for 30 three times. And yea it's not as good as it sounds 
  • Options
    I went to a prenatal yoga class and did a bit of yoga on my own.  It's a step in the right direction from laying curled up on the couch or bed with nausea.
    DS 2.07.15
    #2 due 2.15.18
  • Options
    I ran 4 miles 3 times...my goal is at least 4 times a week though and one is supposed to be longer so...I've still got some work to do. Didn't help that my treadmill broke and my husband is out of town. I'm not pushing a double jogging stroller in 100+ degree heat!
  • Options
    corcolacorcola member
    edited August 2017
    keshupe29 said:
    I managed 3 days of 30 min walks and 3 days of 30 min on the elyptical. By Friday I have no energy to do anymore lol. I just want ice cream. 
    Yes!!! allllll the ice cream please!! also good work this week!
  • Options
    Im cheering you all on from the couch! Hoping to join as soon as the 2nd tri "energy" comes! You guys seriously rock!
  • Options
    @sabriel1 I love BB workouts!!!! I do believe staying active kept any sickness away for me. Which ones are you doing?

@jessilee15  I bow down to thee! Im gasping at 2.5 miles....when I used to do 4-5. 

I didn't make it in my home gym this week for workouts. First week in a looooong time. I'm finally starting to feel recovered from an active weekend last week. I did get out and ran 1-1.5 miles every day and 1 45 minute puppy walk.  Working through a runstreak....day 244! 

• Options
    @orchid36 I am not super in shape so I'm trying it again few low impact. I tried one of the PiYo videos but found it really boring. I've been cycling back and forth between the first trimester and second trimester active maternity videos which is really about my speed which is good

• Options
    @sabriel1 I agree on the boredom factor on PIYO. I really need to be in the mindset and want a good stretch before doing it. So much variety, good to see you're able to find something.  I float around depending on which trainer I want that day. Favorite program is Core De Force though. 
  • Options
    Core de force looks good. I watched a few videos of it to get a feel but I think it might be a bit too much for me at my current fitness level. I don't mind pushing it but not when I'm pregnant

• Options
    I lost my baby weight with 21 day fix! So I have beachbody on demand! I've been really lazy this first trimester due to having a toddler, lack of energy and nausea! This week I finally started pressing play again! I started PiYo which I think is slow but it feels good to be moving again! 
  • Options
    Great job getting back in it @RachelR17
    21 day fix is a game changer! Good luck with PIYO. 
    @sabriel1 yes! Always listen to your body. :) day by day, we'll power through our own health hurdles. Supposed to help with delivery, right?! One can hope. 
  • Options
    It was beautiful today so walked the 1.25 mile loop around the lake near me. I always end up getting RLP on my left side after I do too much though, so I'm quasi regretting it. I even stopped to stretch 3 times in that loop.
    I am determined to make it to prenatal yoga on Thursday though. Maybe stretching will be better! 
  • Options
    Sorry I'm late on this thread but wanna give it a shot - Any STMs who are runners? How far into your other pregnancies did you run? I'm 15w and still doing pretty good, at least 3mi 3x/wk, but I'm up to 11.5-12 min mi from my usual 10min mi. I just cannot go any faster. Plus if there is ANYTHING in my bladder I am so uncomfortable. Peed in the ditch on the side of the road after 0.5 mi today (I live out in the boonies
  • Options
    Sorry I'm late on this thread but wanna give it a shot - Any STMs who are runners? How far into your other pregnancies did you run? I'm 15w and still doing pretty good, at least 3mi 3x/wk, but I'm up to 11.5-12 min mi from my usual 10min mi. I just cannot go any faster. Plus if there is ANYTHING in my bladder I am so uncomfortable. Peed in the ditch on the side of the road after 0.5 mi today (I live out in the boonies
    TTM here. I ran until 26 weeks with my first (got horrible SI pain/sciatica), then to 32 weeks with my second. I think with the first I pushed too hard. I wanted to run 3 miles 5 days a week and not get too slow. With the second I was better about gradually slowing and transitioning to a run/walk program, and I actually felt better that pregnancy. I'm planning to jog a 10K at the beginning of November still (signed up for the 1/2M pre-preg, but I think that will be too much for me after a really rough 1st TM).

I've already slowed down about 45 sec per mile too. And I'm only 14 weeks!
  • Options
    @seltzerinstead both the slowing down and the bladder issues were normal for me in my first pregnancy and now this one too. What used to be my easy pace now feels more like a tempo pace. It's been helpful for me to run totally based on feel and ditch my garmin so I don't focus as much on my actual pace. Like @jessilee15 I also had to stop around 25 weeks for sciatica with my first, but I'm hoping to keep it up longer this time around. I'm still at around 30-35 mpw but my longer runs are starting to take a lot out of me, so I'm starting to add some planned walk breaks and expect to have to dial back on volume soon. I'm just about 16 weeks now. My approach is to keep moving as long as I can -- taking those pee breaks as necessary! -- while listening to my body and changing to something else (biking/swimming) if and when running just gets too uncomfortable. Keep up the great work!!
  • Options
    FYI -- started KT taping my belly to run this week and it made a noticeable (not huge, but noticeable) difference in my abdominal discomfort while running.  Same idea as a belly wrap, but much cheaper and cooler.  Recommend trying it if anyone is having cramping/general discomfort while exercising! Looks like there's some taping methods for your lower back, too, if you're having sciatica or hip pain.
  • Options
    It's not Friday, but I was finally feeling up to my TRX class last night. The first trimester definitely has me out of shape, but it was nice to be sweating again!
  • Options
    @olitwinturbosnprincess recommended doubling up on sports bras for running, etc. if your boobs have grown like crazy. Mine went from
    B to D already and her trick worked! No annoyance or pain during running! Just wanted to share. 
  • Options
    @psm2462 KT Tape! Brilliant!! I'm going to go get some today! I've been feeling pretty good running since replacing my shoes (it was time, anyway!), but the pelvic aches have started back up again this week. I don't feel quite ready for a full-on belly splint, though.

@seltzerinstead I'm a STM, 17 weeks today, and have been trying to run 3- 4x per week, 2- 5 miles each time. With my first, I didn't have nearly the running base I do now, and stopped as soon as I got pregnant. I did teach power yoga up until 32 weeks, though, and walked about 15 miles/ week.

This time I'd like to keep running as long as I can. I also bike (now inside on a trainer) and swim. I've already scaled back the intensity quite a bit, and some days only manage a couple of miles run/walking. My motto is "something is better than nothing!" ;)  My avg pace has slowed from around 9 to around 11 (some days 12, some days... slower). I try to do one hilly route, one laid-back intervals workout, and one longer run each week.

Any other runners follow Another Mother Runner? I love their podcast, and they have a pregnant runner blogging for them lately :D
    Married 5/27/13
    Anniversary

Baby#2
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD#1
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Options
    @katefb17 let me know how the KT tape works out for you! Sounds like we have very similar goals for and experiences during this pregnancy.  I'm also aiming for 4x running per week with biking on the trainer and swimming another 1-2 days/week with the goal of continuing to move as long as possible!  I did notice on my trainer ride today that my belly is starting to feel a little uncomfortable, kind of squished between the top of my bike shorts and the angle of my body toward the handlebars.  Maybe I need to adjust my bike fit slightly for pregnancy? Is this anything you're experiencing? 
  • Options
    @psm2462 Re: the bike, I usually wear bib shorts, which helps prevent belly pinching at the waist. I'll also wear yoga pants (not padded, but somehow on the trainer I don't feel like I need the chamois as much) with a wider waistband that I can roll down below the bump.

With baby #1 I stopped riding pretty early on (I had a teeny bit of bleeding after a ride and freaked out!), but I imagine as the bump gets larger you could adjust the angle of your bike on the trainer for some relief. I've heard of people propping the front wheel up on a block. This wouldn't change the angle of your torso relative to the bike, but it could take some weight off of your upper body and some stress off of your back/ abdominal muscles, since it puts gravity more in your favor. 

If you have an threadless headset, you could also see about getting some spacers added at your bike shop so you're more upright. That should be relatively inexpensive, but changing the height of the headset can have a domino effect on other aspects of fit (eg, you may find that it throws your reach off, too).

I'll likely put slick tires on my mountain bike eventually and ride that instead of the road bike, since it's so much more upright! My husband also has a stationary recumbent bike (he has a bad back). As much as I loathe that option, it's a possibility ;) There are some recumbent bikes available for around $100 on Amazon.

(sorry, that was long. I love talking about bikes, even more than I love talking about running!! ;):D )
    Married 5/27/13
    Anniversary

Baby#2
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD#1
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Options
    Now that I'm in the second trimester and have a bit of energy (ie not passing out at 6pm every night!) I'm doing pregnancy Pilates and toning dvds. The Pilates instructor is 36 weeks and it's scary how flexible she is! Taking it easy but still getting a good workout. The longest segment is 22 minutes so they don't tire you out. People have recommended yoga but I can't stand it. Also walking for at least 30 minutes a day.

****TW Signature****
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD born 04/28/2002
    Married DH 03/25/2017
    1st MMC 08/13/2016 2nd MMC 02/14/2017
    BFP 06/16/17 Rainbow DS Born 02/05/2018

• Options
    This week has been a better week for me! I've been walking almost every night and usually get in 20-25kms a week! I am still exhausted but I feel good when I am actually outside getting some fresh air!
  • Options
    I'm still not doing as much as I would like to be...but I made it 4 miles four times this week. I wouldn't say I got a "burst of energy" with second tri, but I definitely am less fatigued
  • Options
    I'm still not doing as much as I would like to be...but I made it 4 miles four times this week. I wouldn't say I got a "burst of energy" with second tri, but I definitely am less fatigued
    Ok question, because you seem to be an avid runner.
    I can't 1)run nearly as fast or as long as I did before pregnant or even very early on. I can run maybe a mile before I have to walk. Which is crazy  to me because I did a 10K 5 weeks pregnant. Are you able to run 4 straight?!
    2) I have to pee a half mile in! Badly! So now I keep it 3 miles or under if I'm outside, or stop midway on the treadmill! :D

am I the only one?!
  • Options
    I can't 1)run nearly as fast or as long as I did before pregnant or even very early on. I can run maybe a mile before I have to walk. Which is crazy  to me because I did a 10K 5 weeks pregnant. Are you able to run 4 straight?!
    2) I have to pee a half mile in! Badly! So now I keep it 3 miles or under if I'm outside, or stop midway on the treadmill! :D

am I the only one?!
    Same here!! The pee thing is horrible. I usually have to walk some to deal with it. And I don't run straight anymore, more of a run/jog then walk, repeat. Not sure how far along you are but I can tell that my lungs are getting less room than before, especially if my posture is hunched in the slightest.  Everyone's body progresses differently, but if you feel good and are giving your best it's totally normal to have to dial things back. 
  • Options
    corcola said:

am I the only one?!
    Same here!! The pee thing is horrible. I usually have to walk some to deal with it. And I don't run straight anymore, more of a run/jog then walk, repeat. Not sure how far along you are but I can tell that my lungs are getting less room than before, especially if my posture is hunched in the slightest.  Everyone's body progresses differently, but if you feel good and are giving your best it's totally normal to have to dial things back. 
    18 weeks. It got pretty bad I would say this past week. And yes, walking seems to help, which I do anyways because my heart rate is getting too high (probably something to do with the lungs and room like you mentioned). It's awful!!!

But other than that, I'm not sore, I'm not anymore fatigued. Which is definitely good.
  • Options
    So, I slow down in both pace and distance progressively while pregnant. I was able to run 6 miles on the treadmill last week, about a minute per mile slower than my ore-pregnancy pace. This is my third pregnancy, and I've run to third trimester in all of them, but I wasn't able to run all the way through - too slow, couldn't breathe, and back/hip discomfort. I can't run more than 4 days a week now or my back really hurts (kinda hurts to run anyways). I'm currently 16 weeks pregnant. I have a 10K on a Saturday; I'll probably walk at the aid stations and if there's any big hills. 

Later in pregnancy, I found the Gabriala running belt helpful in keeping my uterus from smashing my bladder as bad as well.

• Options
    @stephbp2007 in my experience (this is my second pregnancy, and I've been lucky enough to run for most of my first and all of this one so far), pregnant running is a lot like everything else while pregnant... it varies a lot person-by-person and, for any individual person, can even change day-to-day! But I have yet to talk to anyone whose pace has not noticeably changed... I think due to the extra blood volume, the same effort level results in a measurably slower pace.  So what you're describing is normal!  I was running 35-40 miles/week before I got pregnant, and I'm down to 20-25, with my average pace 60-90 seconds slower than it was pre-pregnancy.  I'm also having add walk breaks to deal with some mild cramping and hip discomfort, and expect the run:walk ratio to slowly decrease over the coming months...

The peeing is totally normal too... I've definitely learned all of the public restrooms on my usual routes and often ditch outside for the treadmill just to have the bathroom close by.

Great job to all you ladies for staying so active so far!!
  • Options
    @katefb17 thanks for all the helpful bike chat! Switched to regular yoga pants with the waist rolled down on the trainer this weekend and while I did slightly miss a chamois, it was SO much more comfortable on my belly.  
  • Options
    How did everyone do this week with their fitness goals? is it just me, or is everything getting a lot harder?! Yesterday's run definitely devolved into a run/walk pretty quickly...
  • Options
    I went to a prenatal yoga class last night that was pretty relaxing. Was impressed by the ladies who look ready to pop being all bendy! Really need to keep walking, but at least I did that! 
  • Options
    psm2462 said:
    How did everyone do this week with their fitness goals? is it just me, or is everything getting a lot harder?! Yesterday's run definitely devolved into a run/walk pretty quickly...
    I slacked this week. Hard.
    I ran once. I think I also paid for it a little bit on the scale :/
    I'll get back on the bandwagon next week!
  • Options
    I went to the gym a whole two times this week, just to walk on the treadmill on an incline, and the second I started walking my lower abs started to hurt. At the 30-minute mark I had shooting pains in my upper abs and went "DONE." I want to stay active but I'm worried about what the pain means. I don't want to mess anything up.
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• Options
    @eggplantface, I'd ask your provider at your next appt... probably just normal aches and pains of your growing belly, but agree that it's not the time to risk anything at all! Whenever I start to get cramps during my workout I dial back the intensity or just stop altogether.