December 2017 Moms

FTM questions for STM+ 8/21

13»

Re: FTM questions for STM+ 8/21

• Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017
  • Like @flowerpower5838 did, a 1 inch three ring binder under the mattress is what we used. It worked well when they were sick or refluxy and weren't in the rnp! No need to get something special in my opinion.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • OK, I feel like this is a very silly question, but for some reason it has been bothering me! I tried doing a search and I could not find where it has been brought up specifically. Being that we are December moms, for many of us we live in cold climates. I live in the Midwest which gets freezing cold weather and snow storms. Does baby need a jacket, coat, snowsuit, etc? I completely understand that these should ABSOLUTELY not be worn in a car seat at any age, that's not what I am referring to. I mean in general, does baby need one? Or, if baby is ever outside do you find that they really primarily are in their car seat with bunting etc. around the car seat? One of the main reasons I ask is almost every jacket/coat/snowsuit I see the sizes usually start about 6mo or so. 

• whiskawhiska member
    edited September 2017
    @Mandayno I just had a similar question a week or so ago, but mine was - during wintertime walks should I do a wrap under my coat or bundle in the stroller?  From their responses I'm going to be bundling in the stroller, and they assured me I would have a good idea of when baby is warm enough. I feel like a flannel/fleece sleeper, maybe with a warm sleep sack or snowsuit (I got this one in 0-3 mos but it's huuuuge), a warm hat and mittens, and then some blankets should be good. 
    Also, I'll be taking the bassinet on walks in the beginning (when it's really cold) which will provide more of a cocoon and wind protection vs the carseat. And I'll put some warm blankets on the bottom of the bassinet.  People also like Bundle Mes/footmuffs.  They're unsafe for carseats of course, but okay for strollers.

For carrying baby around in the carseat (like from car to inside the grocery), I feel like dressed in a warm sleeper and hat + the car seat cover should be good for short transfers like that.  I've read you can also put a blanket over baby after they're buckled in properly, but that makes me a bit nervous for now (me personally as a first-timer, not judging anyone here!) so we'll play it by ear.  
    Me: 36  | DH 35, Married 2007
    TTC #1 June 2015
    April 2016 - AMH, FSH, Progesterone normal
    June 2016 - HSG clear
    *TW* BFP - Aug16, demise confirmed Sep16, incomplete m/c, D&C Nov16
    BFP 3/27/17, edd 12/7/17
    DS - 12/9/17 
    <3 
    TTC #2 December 2018 
    BFP 2/22/19, edd 11/4/19
    DD - 11/1/19 <3
    My Chart

• @Mandayno I think this depends on where you are and how much you plan to be out and about with baby. If it is super freezing cold, you probably won't be outside much. If it is cold, but still enjoyable for a walk, you can always bundle with tons of blankets. We live in MS, so no real experience with real cold, but we did get 2 instances of "snow" last year (didn't stick) and I definitely took DD out to experience her first snow, bundled in her bear coat and a blanket (she was like, WTF, mom?!). We were only out there long enough for me to take some pictures, really. She was about 4-5 months, probably. If she had been brand new, I probably would have worn her and bundled her up close to me, or not taken her out if I was feeling nervous. I think @whiska has some good tips above. I did buy a couple coats/jackets on consignment just in case (DD's smallest coat was 6 months size), but we have a very different winter down here. We were not the type to keep baby huddled at home for the first 2 months, but an August baby is also different than December! 

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
  • Thanks @whiska and @cait5413!!! That does help!!! It gets pretty cold her in the winter, not very good for taking walks in negative temps through snow!! I really think we'll mostly just be going from car to store etc! 

• STM here but I have a FMLA question - have any of you taken all 12 weeks but taken the last one or two as shortened weeks/on Fridays or something, going back sooner but shortening your week to make it more of a gradual transition? I feel like this might be easier when it comes to both going back in general and also paying back insurance. Just curious what your experiences have been. I took 10 with DS but plan to take the full 12 this time.

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• @Mandayno DS was born in January here in Canada. I did not have a snowsuit/jacket/mitts/boots for him. I had a carseat adapter for the stroller so when we were outside he was either worn or in his car seat. I typically just put him in whatever outfit he had on, with a weather appropriate hat and however many blankets I felt were necessary to keep him warm on top of the straps/buckles once they were fastened and a lightweight carseat cover over top. Occasionally on a really cold/windy day I would additionally throw a blanket over the top of the carseat/stroller canopies. Like I mentioned previously, if you plan on wearing baby under your own jacket, ensure you either have a very large jacket or a jacket extender, as zipping up your regular jacket tightly around baby can squish and suffocate them. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • @flowerpower5838 both DH and I went back at a reduced schedule for a while. This time I'm taking 22 weeks off (most of it unpaid) and going back for 3 days a week for a while before committing to full time.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @mandayno I asked about cold weather gear a while back and ended up following recommendations to get a Patagonia puff ball suit. They are pricey, but I found one for $50 on clearance. I love to be outside in all kinds of weather, watching the dog and our other animals run around, and am hoping the baby will enjoy the same!
  • @kvacmak thank you so much for letting me know that worked for you! With your weather up there, I am sure it is sometimes the same/worse than where I am so I am glad to hear that works well!

Thank you also @Amber_Waves! Very helpful too!

• STM recommendations for baby bath products?  Like washes/soaps, lotions, etc?  
    Me: 36  | DH 35, Married 2007
    TTC #1 June 2015
    April 2016 - AMH, FSH, Progesterone normal
    June 2016 - HSG clear
    *TW* BFP - Aug16, demise confirmed Sep16, incomplete m/c, D&C Nov16
    BFP 3/27/17, edd 12/7/17
    DS - 12/9/17 
    <3 
    TTC #2 December 2018 
    BFP 2/22/19, edd 11/4/19
    DD - 11/1/19 <3
    My Chart

• @whiska We've been happy with Johnson and Johnson head-to-toe baby wash and their sleepytime lotion. I also like the Seventh Generation Coconut Care lotion, but I don't think DD likes the smell of coconut much--she used to cry when I put it on her! So back to J&J. :)

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
  • sjissjis member
    edited September 2017
    @whiska aveeno usually does the job. Sometimes when DD has eczema, aveeno eczema therapy lotion is great. Also we still use Mustela no rinse cleansing water every night for her face. 

Also great is using a Konjac baby sponge instead of a wash cloth. 
  • @whiska Aveeno is great, especially if anyone in your family has skin sensitivity. If LO has dry skin, try Dove or Aveeno unscented. They're all that keeps DD1's eczema from flaring up. Also, Aveeno's lavender smells ahhhhmazing
  • I think we already had this conversation somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Any recs for pregnancy pillows? Last pregnancy I used the snoogle but it took up the ENTIRE bed and poor DH had no room (he's over 6'3" and we have a queen bed, so with me being pregnant, it's a tight fit anyway). Any other good pillows out there that specifically help with hip/lower back pain?
  • @flowerpower5838 - My boss did that and really recommended it.  She said it was super helpful to have a day that the baby was in daycare that she could just get caught up on life - run errands, go grocery shopping, do whatever she needed to do to make the rest of the week seamless.  I'm thinking about trying to do some of it too, because it does sound nice.  

** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
  • Ok so I'm a planner and hubby already bought me my "Hospital Bag"  so now its just staring at me. lol. What do I actually NEED to bring with me?! 
  • @ShyTonia I was amused the other day because we went on the Maternity Ward tour and the first thing on the hospital's list of "what to pack in your hospital bag" was popsicles/Italian ice to eat while you're in labor and the second thing listed was snacks for your partner! These were the other items listed:

-Personal toiletries that you can't do without

-Very comfortable clothing for 2-3 days

-Infant car seat

• moonlady-2moonlady-2 member
    edited September 2017
    Has anyone taken maternity leave and paternity leave consecutively, rather than together? We have been tossing this idea around. If we did it one right after the other (me first, then him) we could avoid daycare until he's almost 1, cuz we'd both have our leaves then I'd be on summer break.  

But it then I think how it would be good for us to have time together to bond. Alternatively, I know newborns are more focused on mom so maybe having dad take him later would be cool?

Thoughts? 

*edit- if we did it one after the other, he would still take 2 weeks off at first. Then the rest after me.
    31 years young
    from Seattle(ish)
    5 years married
    FTM and PGAL
    EDD is 12/23/17
    -- It's a BOY! ---

• @moonlady-2  I think this is actually pretty common in a few countries and people have to choose which way they'd rather do it. (For instance, you hear a lot about "OMG, a year of paid parental leave in Sweden!" etc. but I believe it's actually X amount of weeks for each parent so you'd have to do one parent at a time to stretch it to a whole year if I understand the policies correctly.)  If you do a little Googling you may find some blogs or articles where folks in that situation discussed their experiences.  

I think if Dad is up for it, it could be a really cool experience-- I know unfortunately my DH would be bored to death though as he has a definite provider mentality and wouldn't be able to stand being off work that long.  Although, at least here, it's not even an option so he doesn't have to worry about it.  :p
  • @moonlady-2 That's what DH and I are planning to do! We'll overlap leave-time by a week so he can be around to see our routine/get used to the schedule, then he's home with baby while I go back to work (4 days/week for a few weeks). Our main reasoning was to put off daycare for an extra 2 months. I think the hardest part for me will be sitting at my desk come mid-April knowing my two favorite people are at home together!
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    TTC #1 since 12/2015
    BFP 4/4/17, EDD 12/4/17

Pregnancy Ticker

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• @moonlady-2 - That's what we're hoping to do!  He'll take 3 weeks when the baby is born (straight vacation, not paternity or PTO...because he gets a ridiculous amount of vacation).  Then once I go back to work, we're thinking he will take some time.  

** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
  • failuretoflyfailuretofly member
    edited September 2017
    @elcd458 that's actually how it works in Canada. There's a strict 12 (or 16?) Week maternity leave then the remainder is defined as parental leave and the parents can split however they so choose. However, DH works in a trade where layoffs are common, so he may take a voluntary layoff and just collect employment insurance since its the same pay rate without eating into my leave! Guys... you need to move to Canada lol

ETA we did this when DS was born and we both were off for the first 6 months. It was glorious and DH and DS have such an amazingly strong bond!
  • @kvacmak  Out of curiosity, is there a limit to how frequently one can take parental leave in Canada?  I try to be supportive of both individual rights (to have your family however way you choose) and parental rights (particularly empowering women in the workplace) and all that jazz, but when you've been the unfortunate coworker of someone who is out for 3 months a year for like 4 years (kids) in a row, you get a little jaded :D  
  • @elcd458 in order to receive full pay when you're off you need to work 600 hours in between leaves. However, you can choose to take the full year, with a portion unpaid, and still keep your job. Myself, for example, I went back to work after DS in January, and have been working part time (about 70% of full time) and had enough hours as of last month to start another full year of paid leave. So I will be back to work for only 11 month's (maybe 10 depending when I go off) total before going off with this one. Its not full pay, it maxes out at 55% of your base wage or there is an overall maximum so people who make huge incomes can't take home huge checks while on leave. 
    I hope that makes sense!
  • Any one have experience with Mama Strut?
  • ShyTonia said:
    Any one have experience with Mama Strut?
    I don't have experience with it but to expand on your question, we probably need some advice about post-partum belly support devices in general. I did not use one the first time around and I'm thinking that was a mistake. 

When I look at your pics above, I actually feel like I would NOT prefer to have it all integrated in one piece like that (shorts, pad, etc) in lieu of a separate belly belt on top of your normal stuff. It probably fits better / doesn't need to be adjusted as much but then you're waltzing around in December / January in short shorts? And keeping it clean? Do you know how many bodily fluids are going to end up on that thing every day??

Met: September 2005  Married: October 2008   DS: 09/2014
           Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
           Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • To add to the packing discussion- we packed a couple of movies.  Our room had a dvd player and because my water broke we spent a few hours waiting for the pitocin to kick in.  A movie is much better than the crap they show on the tvs there, in my opinion.  And to this day when I watch Stardust, I think about having my daughter.  :)

• @anewadventure I just googled this video on it and watched it. Explains it a little better. I was just curious if anyone has used it or heard of it here because one of the pictures I saw had something to do with the bump recommending it in 2015. 
    But I second your comment on keeping it clean. It shows the inserts are separate and you can wash them but I am curious how often you can wash the whole unit with out damaging the waist thing. 
    I wear leggIngs every day of my life so I wouldn't be able to wear out of the house. But they make it seem ok to wear under jeans. So you wouldn't be running around in shorts lol.