LGBT Parenting

Let's start again here!

Hi all, didn't find any crumbs to the new clubhouse so let's start again here!

Anyone is free to join in and participate! If anyone you know might want to be active, feel free to tag them as well.

Copy and paste the following questions so we can get to know each other better! 

What is happening this week? 

Any lgbt questions, advice, problems, etc? 

Gtky: What is your favorite TV series? 

Re: Let's start again here!

What is happening this week? Work work work work work and a few friends birthdays

Any lgbt questions, advice, problems, etc? Any POC/trans couples/families in here?

Gtky: What is your favorite TV series? The Fosters! Love how every episode is a mini afterschool special. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Status: Pregnant!! I am pre-transition to a man, now waiting until we are done adding to the family. 

This week: working my butt off to pay bills : c

lgbt: Haven't seen many lgbt anything on here yet??? Weiiiird. 

Gtky: currently rewatching twd... but galavant and bbt is up there too!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Status: 15 weeks pregnant with a baby boy conceived via IUI with donor sperm. 

What is happening this week? Vacationing in Austria and Italy with my wife!

Any lgbt questions, advice, problems, etc? There don't seem to be many resources for lesbian moms online or in my city, Portland, OR. I'd love to connect with other lesbian moms, but I'm having a hard time finding them!

Gtky: Insecure, The Handmaid's Tale, and Stranger Things. 
  • @grimxr  isn't it weird? From what I can gather there was a mass exodus to another platform a couple years ago. But even in someone of the other discussions, I see no mention of LGBT. I had posted in one of the IUI groups but was gently chastised that I didn't specify my infertility connection. 

@ginapdx Austria and Italy sound lovely! We spent part of our honeymoon in Rome and I ran the Florence marathon some years ago. Enjoy!
  • YAS!  TY @mrsmeettherays for restarting this thread!  I also poked my head into the infertility/IUI threads and just felt bad being that I don't have any issues...other than having a sperm-less wife.  

Benched due to me handling some back pain issues but fingers crossed we're going TTC in Sept or October! Getting my bloodwork done in a few weeks and am excited to start!

What is happening this week? 
    Currently enjoying a long vacation...went to Colorado with some friends and going to Boston this weekend with my wife and my in-laws.  Hopefully visiting two lesbian-owned/cheffed restaurants while there: Myers + Chang, and Sweet Cheeks Q!

Curious to know how y'all procured your sperm - Anonymous Sperm bank or known donor?  We're going anonymous donor and have a top contender on California Cryo and Fairfax Cryo.

Gtky: What is your favorite TV series? 
    GAME OF THRONES BABYYYY!!!! I'm a rabid fan and am crushed I'll have to wait another year+ to watch the final season!  We're also huge fans of Top Chef, Project Runway, and classics like The Office, Parks & Rec, FRIENDS.  Netflix = LIFE! :)

My wife and I have conceived a babe with my body and frozen donor sperm through IUI, with medication support (clomid, ovidrel, and injections of progesterone)

IUI #1, #2, and #3: Dec 2017, Jan 2018, and Feb 2018 - all BFN
    HSG Test: April 2018 - all clear!
    IUI #4: April 15/16, 2018 - BFP!! EDD: Jan 7, 2019 

• edited August 2017
    Congratulations @ginapdx and @grimxr !!! :smiley:

My wife and I have conceived a babe with my body and frozen donor sperm through IUI, with medication support (clomid, ovidrel, and injections of progesterone)

• Status: (ttc, waiting/benched, pregnant, parent) Pregnant! 

What is happening this week? Trying to work to save up for little one. So exhausted I just want to spend my life in bed. Finally told some friends that I'm KU and they were excited for us. No obnoxious gender-enforcing jokes were made. yay!

Any lgbt questions, advice, problems, etc? My problem is that I'm genderqueer and pansexual, but on the surface my partner and I are often mistaken as a "strait" couple. People just assume, you know?  So I'm feeling really insecure about how undeniably fem I'm gonna look pregnant. 

I joined the birth month club message boards and they are currently having this big debate about weather showers should be co-ed or women only, and I'm on the sidelines like...well if it's "women only" then I guess I don't get to go to my own shower! Not to mention there are more than two genders and why do things have to be so limited?  I kinda feel like ranting at them but it's nice to have people I can ask questions with. Just feeling closeted, left out, vulnerable. So, I'm glad I found you all. 

Gtky: What is your favorite TV series? Cubs games! ok, ok: Twin Peaks. Man in the High Castle. Mr. Robot. I don't actually watch a whole lot of tv. 

Good luck to everyone with your quest for kids! 

ginapdx my spouse is from the Italian Alps close to Austria. I hope you have a wonderful trip. That area is magically beautiful! 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I haven't checked these out yet, but I just found a list of best lgbtq parenting blogs of 2017. 
    https://www.healthline.com/health/parenting/best-lgbt-blogs#1

Hope there's something helpful for each of us. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Hey hey - welcome @fatstagnation
    Glad you found us! We were just at the Philly Trans Health Conference and wondered if I should have posted that we would be there in here. There was definitely a gap in people looking to make babies and folks who were there with their trans kids. 

@lazyornghousecat we used Fairfax for 2 rounds. Not to sound terrible but they had a sale! Unfortunately trying to find a black donor on these sites is very hard and the 1 we chose ended up having just passable motility (35%). Very very hesitant to use a known donor. Wondering if there's some place we're overlooking. We're planning to try again in December.

Hi! My wife and I have an IVF date set for Sept. 26th. I am carrying- I also carried our first

What is happening this week? This week I have an ultrasound to see if my uterine lining looks good....fun.

My short vent is that our insurance doesn't cover this time around and we had to pay it all up front. It is making me stressed financially while we are trying for our second...not a time I want to feel any more stress! Right?! And if it doesn't take we are going to have to fork out the money again. It makes me feel sick thinking about it!

Gtky: What is your favorite TV series? Currently it's The Fosters. I mean come on.. Lena and Stef. I just want them to be real life so I can swoon some more.  Arrested Development or Parks and Rec may have a tie for favorite overall shows though. 

So happy to have a little community on the Bump. Can't wait to get to know you all.
  • Love The Fosters! I want year round seasons of that show. 
  • So glad to meet everyone! Healthcare coverage in the country is terrible. Don't know about fertility treatment elsewhere though. Wishing everyone magical appearances of money! ;)
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @fatstagnation yes let's wish for magical money appearances!
  • So I'm on meds to get ready for IVF- one of them is estrogen- it is making me feel so sick to my stomach! I just started it this week. I think I have amnesia because I don't remember feeling sick on the meds when I was trying for our first. Anyone else doing IVF? I saw some doing IUI.  We had donor sperm from Fairfax as well @mrsmeettherays with some sperm on sale. Haha haha! It is funny that there are sperm sales there. But it helps honestly!
  • @mauralaki @mrsmeettherays  I do love a good sale!   :)@fatstagnation let me know if the money wish comes true!!!

Here's a truth time topic.  My wife and I have had multiple conversations over the past year or two about preparing to start our family.  We went for the initial consult with the doctor for IUI in March/April.  We decided to wait until the Fall to do bloodwork, and so here we are in September and I'm getting all the genetic blood work and stuff done tomorrow. The other night I mused out loud to her that if all this goes as planned and we get the okay, we could potentially start TTC next month!  And she replies with how she's scared and is saying she doesn't know if she's ready for it right at this moment.  Really she said she doesn't know what she wants to do at the moment.

We've had these conversations, and talked about the financial stressors associated, the fact that our lives will generally change, etc. At her okay, we said we'd go through with the bloodwork, select a donor, and do al the other doctor stuff.  

My wife is a very type-A person, needs things laid out clear...and this is just never going to be.  It's not even the TTC and pregnancy but now she's talking about fear of what if something's wrong with the child, and how our lives are going to be different, and how she will feel pressured to financially support (she makes more than I do), and doesn't want us to be torn apart and resent each other if things get stressful.  I told her I of course have all these fears too, I just happen to be more of an optimist and she's more of a realist. 

Our BFFs are another lesbian couple who are also on their journey to conceive.   I think my wife was counting on them getting pregnant first so she could be a close observer of how it would all go.  Unfortunately, their journey is taking longer than expected.

I am giving her space to consider all this and talk when she is ready.  I'm sad though.  Sad that she may want to wait longer and I don't want to.  So until then, I'm waiting...We talked about this last year and said we'd wait until this year...then in the beginning of this year we said we'd wait until Fall.  I'm scared that we will keep postponing and then it will never happen.  Or it'll be harder because I'll be older. I feel like a jerk for talking to the interwebz instead of her, but I am trying not to crowd her with this and overwhelm her. I may have just spooked her with my comment being completely out of nowhere...but I need some reassurance that all hope isn't lost yet. 

How was the decision process for any of you?  Was one partner more apprehensive than the other? Were there struggles with thoughts of the future? What compromises did you have to make on this journey?  

• @mauralaki  Don't they say that women generally forget the pain of childbirth otherwise why would they ever choose to do it again?  Maybe this is the same!  I hope you feel better soon! 

• @lazyornghousecat my husband was the one who triggered the "let's do it now" conversation with me and I think the brevity of the statement was more ...not unsettling but kind of shocking to me in an amazement way. We had been planning since before we got married in 2015 to TTC this year with a strong plan to do it in Jan/Feb, hoping for an Oct baby. Then last December (on the first day of my new job) he was in a major car accident that entailed him spending January in the hospital and February on bedrest. Not a good time to start trying. Then all of a sudden in June he mentioned we should try and how it will never be a perfect time. I thought - hey, those are my lines! I'm the eternal optimist of the 2 of us. Even though we didn't get pregnant the experience brought us even closer, taught us both some patience and I'm glad we did try.

I also understand it from another angle, I'm going to be 38 next month and feeling some pressure to make it happen if we're using my eggs. He's 33 so more time but also the added emotional effort of having to go off T to retrieve. All of the couples "like us" that we know had kids either pre-transition or the cis-wife had them when they were mad young and now they have grandchildren already! So now we have kept most of the baby-making news to our smaller circle.

Cheers to money wishes coming true and healthy babes whenever they get here!
  • lazyornghousecat aw, that's a bummer. It sounds like (hopefully) your wife is just having momentary cold feet. Children are difficult for people who like things to be "in control" but it only gets harder as we age. You've already started to blood work, so see where that takes you. Maybe if you start just "browsing" donors to get a feel for it, she'll get more excited? 

I am also afraid of resentment. It's a real possibility with any couple, but of course kinds provide more things to disagree on. I've just been practicing communicating gently even when I'm mad, owning my feelings, feeling compassion when spouse is not at its best. We're planning to take some parenting classes with our doula that go a little deeper than some of the basic ones at the hospitals. What else can you do? I think it might help to have a communication plan for dealing with feelings of frustration and resentment.

I don't want to scare anyone, so trigger warning: I'm 40 and will be 41 when I give birth. We've had two miscarriages. It gets harder and scarier to conceive, give birth, and keep up with kids when we're older. It's more likely there will be complications BUT medicine can help with all of that! For example we're doing genetic testing so we'll know the situation and can prepare as much as possible. End TW. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @mrsmeettherays  @fatstagnation  Thanks both of you for your support.  Yes I definitely think "cold feet" is a reality for her.  I got scared by her reaction but I forgot to appreciate t how she's still moving through the motions to continue this journey, just in her own time/way.  We actually have 2 donors we really like, so when the blood work comes back for me, we will give those donor #s to our doctor's office and they will help us figure out who is the best match, medically. 

I can be a bit over-the-top when I am excited or nervous about something....and for this I am both!  I have given her the space she needs on this for the past few months, and am just antsy to get started.  I know it only gets tougher as one gets older.  When we came back from the doctor, she suggested starting in January.  I said I was thinking November, so suggested we compromise on December.  We'll see where that gets me.  Hopefully knocked up sometime next year!  

While I know it's not fair to push her on something she's not ready for, it's not fair to me either to keep waiting with no start date in sight.  I know a month isn't a long time to wait in the grand scheme of things.  I am just eager to try, figuring it won't take the first few times so the sooner we start, the sooner we can work toward being pregnant!  

I'm grateful I can share my concerns and frustrations here with you all, so thanks again for listening and sharing in response.  Wishing lots of luck and good baby-making fortune to both of you, and to anyone else reading this exchange!  

• @fatstagnation parenting classes with a doula sound great. Everyone can use work on communication, right? I also think about how differently we grew up - single parent working class vs. two parents middle class. We could stop right there and have a whole discussion on how we have experienced being parented differently. Add to that the stress of paying to get pregnant and all the unknowns - whew! Thank you for sharing and encouraging! 
  • Hi everyone! I'm not new to the bump, but I'm new to the board and thought I would jump in.
    Status: Parent of 3 kiddos (2, 4, 6 yrs) from a previous relationship, waiting on TTC. We are planning a wedding (April of next year) and will start TTC then. Basically I'm getting impatient. :D

What is happening this week?: work work work! Keeping busy with that and the regular craziness of three young kiddos. We also adopted a third dog this past weekend, so we have been adjusting to that. Yeah, we're crazy.

Any lgbt questions, advice, problems, etc? Sooo...can anyone talk to me about the pros/cons of using a known donor vs unknown? My research says it's basically an issue of legal agreement to terminate the donor's rights to the child. I don't foresee this as an issue. We are planning to use SO's brother so that the baby shares genes. Any commentary on the topic would be helpful.

Gtky: What is your favorite TV series? Game of Thrones, hands down. I can't wait until the next season!

• @knottie39991e317437adca
    Welcome!  Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!  My wife and I have only ever seriously considered using an unknown donor.  Her brother said he felt strange about sperm donation, which I respect.  I personally did too.  I like the idea of a clean slate and a sperm donor we do not know.  Although it is much more expensive, it's preferable for us.  We also opted to use an unknown donor in case she wanted to carry one day - then we could use the same sperm either way and our kids could be 1/2 siblings genetically.   

Best of luck with your journey!  I'm a GoT fanatic too!  I wish Robert Baratheon was a viable sperm donor...his swimmers seemed to be VERY successful!   :D

• Status: (ttc, waiting/benched, pregnant, parent) Hi! TTC #1 -- wife and I have been TTCing for 4 years on and off. We have just started again after a 2 year hiatus. We are doing a medicated (Femara) IUI with donor sperm. I will be carrying!

What is happening this week? I am CD 10 and will start LH testing tomorrow. FX that we have IUI #3 this week!

Any lgbt questions, advice, problems, etc? @knottie39991e317437adca -- We had considered using a known donor, but when we were having this discussion a few years ago, in our state even if he signed over his rights if I ever went on state aid, the state could go after him for child support. Now, this was prior to Obergefell v. Hodges so my wife and I are now legally married and can pursue 2nd parent adoption so this may be a non-issue. However, we have purchased donor sperm so we are set there. TL;DR make sure you speak with an attorney who knows the ins and outs and all of the weird legal intricacies that go along with making a baby. 

Gtky: What is your favorite TV series? Oh lawd -- I love SVU, Bull, Hawaii 5-O, Big Brother, Riverdale... such a sucker for mediocre TV.
    Me: 29 |  DW: 30
    Married: May 2013
    TTC #1 Since: June 2013
    IUI 1-6: BFN
    IUI 7: TWW
  • edited September 2017
    Welcome @knottie39991e317437adca ! I agree with @luckypandas each state has it's own laws but 2nd parent adoption is binding in all states. A good lawyer can walk you two through the process.

Also - welcome @luckypandas ! FX that #3 is a go this week!

My wife and I tcc'd for almost 2 years before a 4 attempt IUI with clomid worked, we used meds due to my PCOS. We tried with 2 different known donors, before deciding on a unknown donor through Seattle Sperm Bank. 

What is happening this week: we are between or every two weeks OB appointments so not much. I did get my TDap yesterday. 

Any LGBT question, advice, problems, etc: I am so excited to see action on this board. I have only been lurking on my birth month board after having some of the same feelings most of you have had with the IUI and TTC boards. 

GTKY: what is your favorite tv series? we just caught up on The Good Place, that was a good twist.
  • 2ladies1wedding congrats on your baby!  How are you feeling?

I hope the medical establishment has been treating you and your partner well. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @fatstagnation The woman's center we have been using through our IUI period and now with our OB has been really great. They have had a few other LGBTQ parents come through them, so they adapted well to us. We had one each issue early on with one of the providers in their office and have just asked that we not be seen by him again. They do only have very gender specific handouts, at our first nurse consult they gave my wife a buch of for Dad paperwork and just scratched out dad. I didn't think much about it but my wife has brought it up now that we are preparing for the prenatal class. 

Feeling great. I have complete placenta pervia. So we have had many additional appointments and double the ultrasounds, which has really help alleviate any stress or worry as we see our doctor and the little guy a lot. 
  • Welcome @aheqoefamily ! We found a great doctor and team to work with after having a really terrible experience with the most popular clinic. Those interactions make such a difference in an already stressful/high hopeful time.
  • Glad to hear you're finding good healthcare. Being gender-queer I get some strange reactions wherever I go, but my nurse midwife is great. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• New week, (some) new Qs!

What is happening this week?:

How have y'all monitored and tracked fertility when TTC?:

GTKY: Last one or two movies you saw in a theater and your impressions:

We're coming off a major fundraiser for the nonprofit I work for, going away next week, helping with two big conferences in the next month....so ya know...just a nice easy life!

I've been using the Clue app to track for more than a year.  After last month's appt with the RE, I started tracking via ovulation predictor kit starting from CD 10.  When the test showed I was in peak fertility, I called the RE.  6 days later, I got bloodwork to test my progesterone levels.

We saw "IT" - which  I loved!  I am not innately terrified of clowns, and I didn't feel creeped out like I do with those Paranormal Activity movies, but I thought this version of Pennywise was very menacing! I liked how the movie went deeper into each kid's backstory to get at what they're each afraid of.  I look forward to the sequel!  I also enjoy the original mini-series with Tim Curry as Pennywise, but he was more of a Dr. Frankenfurter/campy clown than this new one. :fearful:

We also saw "Mother!"  I know this was a love it or hate it kind of movie, but I definitely loved it.  I read some of the reviews beforehand to get to know the plot, because I didn't have any idea what it'd be about.  I am not usually a fan of spoilers but I am glad I read them for this.  There was a lot of symbolism from different themes that I really enjoyed.  I read further reviews after I saw the movie, and it made me like the movie even more, and want to see it again!

• Heyyyy. I'm Hil, I'm a trans man. My girlfriend and I are juuust starting the process to have a kid. We've both got diagnosed IF but hers is more treatable (she's got PCOS, I've got Kallmann Syndrome).

waiiiiiting. my partner & I have our consultation appointment in a few weeks, and we've literally got a countdown timer going. 19 days!! My partner will be carrying & we've (we think) picked out a donor. 

What is happening this week?: We're still doing a little bit of research about which clinic in town we want to go to, so I've got some emailing and calling around. If we stick with the place we've got the appointment, we have to get the paperwork in this week. 

How have y'all monitored and tracked fertility when TTC?: Not super applicable for us yet. My girl has been considering starting to track her ovulation before our appointment, but she's got PCOS and even on BC her cycles are really irregular, so we're not sure there's much of a point. 

GTKY: Last one or two movies you saw in a theater and your impressions: Ohhhh lord, I dunno. I think the last movie I saw in theatres was the new lego movie back in february. I did like it! I liked it a lot! 
    me: trans man, 27 | fiance: 31
  • Thanks @lazyornghousecat - although we are all at different points on this journey it nice to see movement on this board.

31+4 weeks pregnant with a boy.

Last weekend I had a work baby shower. It was very laid back which I as glad for. Being in middle management I was worried people would feel obligated to come, but it turned out that the people I really cared for and like were the ones that came and the worry was for not.

This week we have our 32 week OB check up on Tuesday and our family shower on Saturday. I can't wait for this last shower than we can really get things organized and figure out what else is needed for our little mans arrival.  

Just for people's reference: we tried temping and OPK sticks for about a 8 months, when we are trying to TTC at home with two different known donors. Come to find out I had a form of PCOCs, although I was regular my body was never dropping mature eggs. Once we were got on oral meds with ultrasound checks we stopped the tempting and the OPKs and just went by the ultrasounds and trigger shots. We got pregnant on our 4 IUI try with donor sperm. Which was just about two years after starting our TTC journey.

Oh man I don't even know what the last movie we saw in theaters was...... I think it was Beauty and the Beast. I will say that we are frequent go get movie theatre popcorn and bring it home for movie night from your couch. 
  • Hey all, I'm glad to see more activity here! 

I'm 17 week pg and have an appointment coming up Thursday, but it's just to meet with my midwife. No tests or anything exciting.

Re tracking fertility, I did pretty obsessively track my monthly cycle to predict fertile window, but I'm not totally regular. Probably should have done something more, but in the end it worked out.

Most recent movie I saw in the theater was Wonder Woman. I liked that it was anti-war. Also, she's a babe! ;) We also tend to watch whatever we can find free on Amazon Prime and are often amused by the B-movies about aliens/conspiracy theories/crackpot ghost watching, etc. The last one was The Blackwell Ghost, which was pretty good, scary, in the fake-documentary style. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Half-heartedly tracking right now. Just happy to take a break from this summer's TTC pressure.

This week we're in the middle of celebrating our anniversary and birthday month. 

I just started to attempt tracking with a BBT thermometer. Then I got sick and overslept. We went out of town and I left it home. So...sorta not really. We were tracking via ultrasound and trigger shot for the prior 2 tries so just figuring out what to do in the "down time".

I actually can't remember the last movie I saw in the theater. Something like 2 years ago. Maybe Jason Bourne? I like a good action film - not too much gore and can't do scary movies at all. Like not even the previews.
  • Pre-cursor- I have been deemed relatively healthy/fertile by my RE, a bit overweight, taking some prenatals and extra vitamins to boost up my levels, taking synthroid to lower my thyroid levels a bit...but my periods are regular (28-30 days) and my initial exam by the RE looked good and healthy. 

Q for those of you who have begun TTC:  Did your doctor offer you  (or your partner) medication to aid right away?  And did they offer the HSG (x ray of your Fallopian tubes and uterus) right away?  

My RE said those are more intensive, second steps if pregnancy doesn’t occur first. She seems to take a more conservative approach. But we have two queer couples in our friend group who, one chose to do the HSG test right away, and the other was offered clomid and the HSG test if they wanted to. Different doctors for all of us. 

I am struggling and may bring up to my doctor. I don’t love the idea of more tests and extra meds in reality, but sperm is expensive and I don’t want to waste so much money only to later find that there are issues we could have dealt with/avoided earlier on.

Thoughts?

• Hi all, glad to see activity in here! I hadn't thought to check in a while since it had seemed pretty empty when I first got on TB.

Pregnant, getting close to the 20w mark.

I had the anatomy scan Wednesday, otherwise just trying to get ready to start working on the nursery to-be.

....honestly I just counted days in my cycle and made an educated guess (My wife's a trans woman and I've got the baby-carrying gear, so we were able to handle that part the common way).

Last one I can recall seeing in theaters (though I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting something) was Kubo and the two strings.
    I really enjoyed it. It wasn't my favorite story-wise (I did really like it, but it didn't affect me as strongly as Laika studio's other project Paranorman did), but the craftmanship and sheer scale they pulled off for a claymation movie was stunning.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @lazyornghousecat - the first fertility clinic we visited advised to do HSG test before we moved forward but the test was the equiv. to ~3 vials of sperm so we opted out of it. Moved to our current clinic because the first was trans-incompetent. They advised clomid and trigger along with ultrasound monitoring but we were not successful with our 2 attempts. Our plan is to try 2-3 more times before paying for the HSG. I don't have any reason to think it would be blocked tubes so we're going to pass on that added expense.
  • Status: (ttc, waiting/benched, pregnant, parent) Pregnant 16 weeks. I tried unmedicated IUI, the 5th time worked.

What is happening this week?: My partner and I are trying to declutter, clean and figure out what we actually need for baby.

How have y'all monitored and tracked fertility when TTC?: Yes, with my period tracker app and LH test strips.

GTKY: Last one or two movies you saw in a theater and your impressions: I can't even remember the last time I went to an actual movie. We have an IMAX in town that shows 1hr long Imax movies, we have a season pass and tend to just go to those.