June 2016 Moms

Milestones! The ones that are not so fun edition

Re: Milestones! The ones that are not so fun edition

• bankssl1 said:
    Not really a terrible milestone or even a miestone to be honest but Damien is obsessed with shoes, especially mine. He's always been fascinated by them but it seems to have kicked into high gear in the past month or so. He constantly searches them out and carries them around. Today he crawled around while wearing my wedges on his hands.
    Stuck in the box

Jack does the same thing! He LOVES shoes and has a total meltdown if we take them away from him. I wonder what the fascination is with them
    I'm just glad Damien no longer tries to lick them. Gross! :-P
  • The hitting is terrible!  Ethan now kicks when he's having his diaper changed, so that's great to take a foot to the face trying to change poop  :s. This kid is so feisty. I keep telling him he needs to do "nice nice" otherwise he won't have any friends. Lol. Does that mean terrible twos have started early??   :p
  • Loading the player...
  • The hitting is terrible!  Ethan now kicks when he's having his diaper changed, so that's great to take a foot to the face trying to change poop  :s. This kid is so feisty. I keep telling him he needs to do "nice nice" otherwise he won't have any friends. Lol. Does that mean terrible twos have started early??   :p
    OMG! Speaking of hitting cam came up behind me and whacked me in the head with a hairbrush last night when I was getting the girls ready for bed after their bath last night. I thought it was one of the girls and was ready to rage so I turned around and there was Cameron, hairbrush and all. Lol!
  • My son isn't a hitter or biter, thank God. But he's a bit fiesty. He will never kick or slap us, but he has no qualms about kicking the box of wipes clear off the changing table or kicking the lamp hard.
  • This week Preston started slapping. Got me so hard across the face yesterday.  He mostly does it to be funny so hopefully me responding not amused will help but also the throwing is getting crazy.  When he's done with his water he tosses it.  I try to say "we don't throw, we say 'all done'" so far not working.
  • We are in the headbanging phase now. Sooooooo annoying!
  • Tawny87 said:
    We are in the headbanging phase now. Sooooooo annoying!
    Does Cam do it when he's upset? Or just at random times? Miles will occasionally walk up to a wall and just start tapping his head on it, and then look at me and giggle. I don't know if he likes the sounds or what. He'll walk to different parts of the wall and bang on it, but usually only for 30 seconds or less.
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • Ethan does the same head banging. He must like the sound of it because he laughs. Lol. He prefers to bang his head on the sliding glass door or our the glass of our storm door. 
  • We will playfully hit jackie on the head with things... a wooden spoon, a newspaper,... and she's started to hit herself in the head with her hands or objects she has.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Tawny87 said:
    We are in the headbanging phase now. Sooooooo annoying!
    Does Cam do it when he's upset? Or just at random times? Miles will occasionally walk up to a wall and just start tapping his head on it, and then look at me and giggle. I don't know if he likes the sounds or what. He'll walk to different parts of the wall and bang on it, but usually only for 30 seconds or less.
    It's random. Kids are learning cause and effect at this age. My girls did this closer to 18 months though so was surprised to see him do it at 15 months.
  • Yeah I think we're entering toddler zone. My LO is starting to wail and shriek like if someone died over wanting more milk or because we didn't let him crawl all over the store's floors.
  • Well Cameron just shimmied up a kitchen chair and onto the table. Great...
  • @Tawny87 That's a strong kid you have there! Miles can't even figure out how to get on the couch. Then again, he's trying to swing his foot up high enough to step on it, silly kid. Time to keep all the chairs pushed in with something heavy enough in them that he can't push them out
  • @Tawny87 That's a strong kid you have there! Miles can't even figure out how to get on the couch. Then again, he's trying to swing his foot up high enough to step on it, silly kid. Time to keep all the chairs pushed in with something heavy enough in them that he can't push them out
    I was thinking the same thing! Damien tries to get up on chairs and the couch but hasn't quite mastered it yet. The other day he pushed a box of diapers over to the couch and used that to step up onto the couch, so that was an interesting development. He hasn't done it since then though...not that I have boxes laying around...well not anymore, I cleaned last night.
    I was thinking the same thing! Damien tries to get up on chairs and the couch but hasn't quite mastered it yet. The other day he pushed a box of diapers over to the couch and used that to step up onto the couch, so that was an interesting development. He hasn't done it since then though...not that I have boxes laying around...well not anymore, I cleaned last night.
    Yeah! He is insane! His Dr was remarking on how crazy strong he is at his appointment on Tuesday. I guess it makes up for not wanting to independently walk. 
  • Tawny87 said:
    @Tawny87 That's a strong kid you have there! Miles can't even figure out how to get on the couch. Then again, he's trying to swing his foot up high enough to step on it, silly kid. Time to keep all the chairs pushed in with something heavy enough in them that he can't push them out
    Yeah! He is insane! His Dr was remarking on how crazy strong he is at his appointment on Tuesday. I guess it makes up for not wanting to independently walk. 
    Damien doesn't walk independently just yet either, he can take a step but he isn't confident. I think he prefers crawling or using his push-walker because he knows he can move super fast. Doesn't have the patience for toddling along.
  • The worst right now with Nadia is that she wants to walk Everywhere. If I carry her in a store, or on a sidewalk, or basically amywhere, she screams like she's being tortured. She also hates shopping carts, and her stroller most of the time. Basically if I want to take her anywhere and have her not scream I either have to let her walk the entire time (disaster waiting to happen) or put her on my back in the ergo and never stop moving, lol. 

I seriously think this phase is harder in a lot of ways than the "terrible twos" everyone talks about. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Our couches are low enough that my son does this for hours. He can climb the couch and climb off of it. Of course we were bloody scared at first of him falling off, but the first time he climbed the couch, he learned to climb off of it. He stared at the floor a few seconds, then tried to lower his knee down and then stopped. Then he turned around (he was in crawl position) and got off the couch backwards. Since then, he's a master climber. We stayed in California for a month with my brother and he has stairs - he figured out how to crawl them the first time he saw them. This sucks now because LO wants to climb EVERYTHING. 

I also feel ya. My LO screams a lot because well, he's teething. So now he wants to SCREAM and everything irritates him right now. He gently puts his head on the table or floor and wails.
  • The worst right now with Nadia is that she wants to walk Everywhere. If I carry her in a store, or on a sidewalk, or basically amywhere, she screams like she's being tortured. She also hates shopping carts, and her stroller most of the time. Basically if I want to take her anywhere and have her not scream I either have to let her walk the entire time (disaster waiting to happen) or put her on my back in the ergo and never stop moving, lol. 

I seriously think this phase is harder in a lot of ways than the "terrible twos" everyone talks about. 
    Backpack leash time!!

Backpack leash time!!
    I bought a wrist-to-wrist tether that's somewhat inconspicuous. We don't need it yet but if he's anything like my husband was as a toddler, he'll be a runner. 

@Delitachan Oh man, the stairs. Damien loves them! We don't have many (just heading up out of our cave...our condo is sub-level) and he'll make "run" for it if the door is open, just to get to them. 

Do you guys have a rock-wall gym type place nearby? We're thinking of getting Damien involved once he's a bit older if he shows interest in climbing. 
  • I think Cameron and Preston could be table climbing friends..  lol!
  • My son went from a sweet baby to losing his temper easily. Case and point: He likes to push the stroller at the store - if it gets stuck, and hubby moves it, he folds in half and starts crying. The daycare reported as well that he loses it when he doesn't get his way and doesn't let them explain things. Apparently hes the only one who wont listen
  • What they meant is that he's the only one who will get so worked up that he's crying or screaming whle the teachers are trying to explain that he cannot have Johnny's little ball. Supposedly the other toddlers whine and stare at the teacher when she corrects them but my LO is not having it and is all worked up.
  • Jack is also climbing in chairs and onto the table. He will also move the chairs over to a light switch and stand in it playing with the switch.. He had a complete meltdown yesterday when I told him he couldn't play in the chairs anymore  :'(
  • Tawny87 said:
    I think Cameron and Preston could be table climbing friends..  lol!
    Hahaha I finally figured out how to get him to at least sit in the chair instead of standing but if there is something on table, he wants it. Lol
  • Today was Tristan's first day in the toddler room.  He is so small compared to the other kids... It was like the first day all over again.   :'(
  • @egirl1025 Awww yea, I'm not looking forward to Damien moving up to the 18-30 month group. The 2.5yr olds just seem so big! 
  • egirl1025 said:
    Today was Tristan's first day in the toddler room.  He is so small compared to the other kids... It was like the first day all over again.   :'(
    egirl1025 said:
    Today was Tristan's first day in the toddler room.  He is so small compared to the other kids... It was like the first day all over again.   :'(
    I cried so much right before Savannah's first day of "waddlers". They are on a set schedule there unlike in infants and don't have bottles anymore. I was so worried about how she would handle 1 nap a day and no bottles. She is doing great!! But I totally understand all of the anxiety and emotion of our little ones moving into a bigger room
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Because our daycare has less kiddos, they have the infants and wobblers combined. There's maybe 2 babies and the other 8 are wobblers (12-18m). LO wont move to the Toddler 1 room until he's 18m and I'm wary, but sort of only. He's moving up with the other 8 wobblers so they all know each other.
  • Because our daycare has less kiddos, they have the infants and wobblers combined. There's maybe 2 babies and the other 8 are wobblers (12-18m). LO wont move to the Toddler 1 room until he's 18m and I'm wary, but sort of only. He's moving up with the other 8 wobblers so they all know each other.
    That's good that he'll be moving up with the other wobblers! He'll already have people he's familiar with around him then. 
  • edited October 2017
    Damien suddenly loves to throw a towel, blanket, etc. over his head and try to walk around. He thinks it's hysterical. Naturally he runs into everything as a result, so fun. I try to be his buffer so he doesn't get hurt.
  • My LO wants everyone's toy - and he will kick up a fuss if he doesn't get his way. That's according to the daycare. He's always crying now and throwing tantrums.
    His latest is just hurling objects at my hubs.
  • Ugh I hate the whole "going limp" thing.  This is is strong and already 28 lbs!  If I try to pick him up under his arms he goes limp and slides out.  He knows it works. Slippery little bug!
  • @adiaz132003 we are dealing with a similar situation. We call it "going liquid." :neutral:
  • We got this too... Worst is coming out of the tub.  Slippery and limp.  Not a good combo.
  • Yep, us too... 
  • We haven't dealt with "going limp" but we do experience the "exorcist" contortions when we try to pick him up during a tantrum. Doesn't happen every time but occasion it makes us go, "What the....how do you do that?"